Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Football. Football. Football. There is just about something for everyone... if not you can start. I like to spend my time on the lake.

Football, Basketball, and Soccer are the biggest events for student life in my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Clemson's athletics.

Tons of activities/sports/clubs, great place to get to know people or to try new things. Avoid Greek life.

A million activities to be involved in including intramurals, clubs, and greek life

Two words: football season.

There are so many organizations on campus I cannot even begin to name or even know them all. There is definitely something for everyone. Students are very welcoming. Most people leave their dorm room doors open, especially in the Freshman buildings. A lot of my friends, especially in the beginning were people who lived on my hall. Sports are huge at Clemson. On football game days tents sprout up all over campus with tailgaters who are ready for the big game. I do not know very many students who do not go to the games. Basketball and baseball are also really popular, and Clemson's campus is overflowing with school spirit. Clemson's theater, known as the Brooks Center, does have some really interesting shows and concerts. This fall the broadway traveling show Hairspray stopped in Clemson. Additionally there have been various ballets and musicians/bands/orchestras that have performed in Clemson. Greek life is prevalent on Clemson's campus, but it is not overwhelming. The campus is about 20% Greek. There are no houses on campus, however, meaning it is really easy to be in a sorority but have plenty of friends who aren't or are in a different sorority. They have sorority halls (dorms where everyone on a certain floor is a member of that sorority) which allows you to live with your sorority sisters, but without a house there is no sorority meal plan or anything like that, so we still eat in the dinning hall and it is really easy to be involved in other things on campus. I do not drink much and I have never had problems finding things to do. Sometimes on the weekends me and my friends will go to a concert at the Brooks Center. Other times we may go to a baseball or basketball game. Clemson LiVE is a student organization which is always putting on concerts, movie nights, and other events which are often free or heavily discounted for students. Another common nighttime event is frisbee golf, which is very popular on campus. Once a month Clemson has their own version of "Who's Line is it Anyway" with a group called "Mock Turtle Soup". There is always something going on and there are always things to do. One of my favorite things to do on Friday is have lunch at the Esso. The Esso is a resturant/bar near the edge of campus which has a meat and three everyday for lunch during the week. The food is amazing, and me and my friends go almost every Friday. When it is warmer we can eat outside, and it is also a great place to watch a game. Almost every Wednesday night there are swing dances which are really fun. There are lot of people who are really good, but there is always a lesson at the beginning, and there are just as many people there to have a good time and learn.

Some of the most popular groups on campus are student government, FCA, and involvement in greek life. I'm involved in a few clubs that are related to my major. I'm most involved in the Dairy Science Club, we have a show team that shows heifers at county and state fairs, and we have conventions that help you meet potential employers and internships. I figured it would be good to get involved with something I couldn't do at home and dairy has filled that spot. I've lived on campus for the past 2 years, and everyone left there door open my freshman year, I lived in a living-learning community. This year i rarely feel the need to lock my door, but its not as "open" as my first year. I met my best friends my freshman year through that community and just through meeting people in my major and that lived in my building. The athletic events are huge events to go to, Clemson has very good teams, there are great concerts every semester. There is a performing arts center, but Clemson isn't a very musical/theater school in my opinion. The dating scene is really good, there are a lot of people at Clemson and if you're looking for someone chances are you'll have luck. I met my boyfriend this year, and we've been dating for 4 months, we met through mutual friends. I rarely see him during the day around campus for classes, which is kind of nice. There are many annual events at Clemson that students take part in like CU On Ice is a skating/winter festival they set up every year before christmas break. There is a lot of tradition involved in the chants and stuff like that at football games as well. If you want to party there's a party is how I see the party scene here. Every weekend some frat is having something, or people have house parties and bonfires, but its all what you make of it. If you choose to have a quiet night in you can and if thats not your thing you can find a place to go. Greek life is big on campus but you don't have to be involved to have a good time. Last weekend I was at a bonfire with some friends, and I had gone out to dinner before with another friend. On a Saturday night without drinking you can still go out, there are places downtown, and movie theaters not too far off campus, even the mall. Off campus we go out to eat, go shopping, hiking, exploring, there is a lot of pretty waterfalls and outdoorsy things to do.

Our campus is full of activities and downtown is where all the action happens. Football season is the time for the most parties. Every home game weekend there is a bar to go to or a party to attend. On away weekends, many people ban together and travel to the games or take trips out of town. There is definately something for everyone. If you say there is not a group to join or nothing to do, you are not really looking. We have a great intermural sport group for those people not on athletic scholarships. Every major has a group to join as does every cause. Athletic events are huge. Campus shuts down on game day during football season. Dating is pretty easy. There are very many places and events to meet people. I have heard stories about people that met in the library studying for finals. My closest friends from college I met by joining a sorority, joining an on campus dance studio, and my major. The biggest events every fall are First Friday and Homecoming. There is someone awake at all hours of the day. If you are up at 2 am, chances are your neighbors and your friends are still awake as well. It is odd to see people go to bed at 11 pm. They must be the students not passing class. If you want to make an A, you give up sleep. The Greek system is the largest "club" on campus, but many people enjoy their whole Clemson experience without joining a Greek organization. Some of my good friends are not in a sorority even though I am. Not everything involves drinking. There are many planned events that do not involve drinking. On campus we have an entertainment area with bowling lanes, pool tables, etc. However, off campus you have to be 21 in enter some establishments after 9. Many of the bars are restuarants during the day and will do ID check later in the night.

Well by far the football team is one of the best aspects at Clemson as you can not describe a true Saturday but have to experience it here, especially when we are playing teams like Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech or other ACC teams. All of the sports here highly regarded though as we compete in the ACC very well. The Clemson experience is not just limited to athletics though as the academic teams and other organizations here on campus plus the greek system are very competative across the nation and farther. The culture is very evident here as there are presentations and performances of all types here throughout the year from bands and groups on the national scene that have concerts going on all over coming to play in our Little John Coliseum to the plays that are put on in the culture center or the orchestras that perform all times of the year. So there is a little something for all types. The dating scene is pretty good here adn people are pretty friendly but careful also. The apartment structures here and near the Clemson campus is extensive and within everybodies price range and many people live both on and off campus as you have that option after your freshman year and can have fun no matter what you like to do. I stay off campus by myself and enjoy it and it is close enough to the campus where I can easily acess the campus either by car, CAT bus system or walking if so wanted. The university sponsers many events that get everbody involved from the on campus tornaments and comedy tours that are sponsored to the many athletic events that take place or culture events that might pop up.

Last year and this year I leave my dorm room door open. I think it is more welcoming to people to have your door open. Athletic events are huge at Clemson! The other two are usually smaller. A lot of times students go to the latter two for class assignments or extra credit. But I will say the times we had Presidential canidates on campus this year there was always a large turn out. I met my roommate and best friend in class my freshmen year. We were in the same english class and then found out we lived a floor apart in the dorm. I met some of my other friends in the dorm. If I personally am up at 2am I must be sick because I am usually in be at like 11pm everynight! But probably homework or studying, something along those lines. First Friday, Homecoming, Parents Weekend - They're all very exciting things to attend I think it depends on the person, some party more than others If you want to do that then go for it but there are lots of other organizations to get involved in and many opportunities to meet tons of great people. I hung out at Clemson and had a nice lazy weekend. That usually how most of my weekends are spent. Just relaxing with my friends and enjoying Clemson. You can head to Anderson and catch a movie and so some shopping or go to dinner, you can rent movies and have friends over to just relax. There are many things you can do to have fun around Clemson. I'm usually with my friends but we like to go to Anderson.