Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

The best thing about Clemson is the people. We love our school and love to support our school in every way: sports, school spirit, groups of people and friends, organizations, intramural sports, etc. The parking on Clemson's campus is one thing I would change. We need more of it and the parking police can be ridiculous at times. They tend to forget that they are only parking police. Clemson is the perfect size. It's big enough to have 80,000+ people at a home football game and small enough that you know alot of the people in your class, just from seeing them around campus week to week. When people hear I go to Clemson, alot react by saying, "I"ve heard thats an awesome campus" or "Clemson, a jock school"...On campus, I spend a lot of time at the intramural fields, the library, and Tillman Hall. Clemson is definitely a college town. The town and shops revolve around Clemson, its tradition in sports and academics. For the most part, the administration is great. Everyone I know, including me, love our President Jim Barker. There are certain professors in every major that people don't like. I just graduated this past May and there was one professor in my department that I did not like and there were plenty of others in agreement. I can't remember the last controversy on campus, honestly. Clemson is full of school pride. If you ask students who transfer from other schools to Clemson, why they transferred, most will say its because of Clemson's unbelievable school pride. Clemson is one of the few land grant research universities that has ties to all 50 states. Another unusual fact about Clemson is that we are just now reaching 100,000 alumni since our school has been in existence. I will always remember Homecoming week in 2006. Clemson played Georgia Tech in October for football. We were ranked 12 in the nation and Georgia Tech was ranked 13. We had the ESPN college gameday show come to Clemson for our Homecoming weekend. We had the largest gameday of the season and we won the game, beating Georgia Tech 31-7. I will never forget that weekend experience. Most frequent student complaints are definitely with the parking police on campus.

The best thing about the school is that it is a really fun, relaxed place to learn. There are plenty of clean and quiet places if you need to study, and plenty of loud and friendly places when you want to hang out with friends. If I could change one thing, I would change the hours of the dining hall, because my friends and I always get really hungry right after 9PM when they close, so we have to go downtown to eat. My school is the perfect size. I have never had a problem with large classes, I learn best in lecture-sized classes (though I've only had 1); most of my classes have been high-school sized (15-25 people). People are generally impressed when they hear that I go to Clemson, as well as jealous; they know it is a good school with high emphasis on academics, and they know that it is a school where you can have a lot of fun as well. I spend most of my time at the library or in my dorm: the library when I need a quiet place to do homework, and my dorm when I want to hang out with some really awesome people. Clemson does have it's own town, and the downtown area has plenty of restaurants that can cater (no pun intended!) to any appetite that you may have. The school's administration is generally well-respected by the student body, we even have cookouts at our President's house! YES, we have tons of school pride. 50% of the students here wear orange on a daily basis. On fridays during the fall, every student wears orange to show their pride. The school itself is not usual at all, Clemson is definitely a unique place to attend; from the giant field for sports in the middle of campus to the intense intramural sports to the more interesting class curriculum. Something I will never forget about Clemson was in the fall, when we were allowed to go (safely) to the rooftop of our dorm. There, I could see all of campus and the view was astonishing. From above, you can really see how beautiful the campus is.

Best Thing: School Spirit Change: a little TOO rural if you are looking to shop, have to drive a distance. but then again I'm from NJ and I have like 6 malls in less than 30mins from me... Size: Just right. You get all the big school pride and wide range of academic opportunities while being in a student body of under 20,000. Reactions: People say, Oh that's a good school. My so and so went there..., It seems like everyone knows someone who went to Clemson and is proud of it. Time on Campus: In Brackett, where all my classes were. Otherwise, in sports buildings and fields. COLLEGE TOWN: I have yet to hear of any other school where atleast every other shop in town, and the surrounding area, works in the College's name into the title and, get this, has big orange paw prints leading into the town for MILES on the highway. They start right after you turn off of 85. Administration: Only complaint is that they spelled my name wrong on my diploma and I have to pay for the change...mean. Controversy: A student was murdered a few years off campus. Usually some new story pops up about drinking issues at a fraternity, a death or injury, sometimes just weird hazing rumors. School Pride: HUGE Unusual: I've never seen so many people travel to and leave a place so quickly. Before and after football games you do not drive for about 3 hours unless you absolutely have to. The Stadium seats something like 86,000 and I swear 80,000 people come into town. Half of the tailgaters don't even go to the game, they just come for the party! Experience: Crying when we lost to BC in 2007. We could have gone to the ACC Championship... and- When I visited campus the spring before I attended. I immediately fell in love with it. Complaints: No parking where you want it

I applied to seven school, all ACC, Clemson was the last school that I heard from, and basically was the only one I was truly concerned from hearing from. I got it, and it was the best peice of mail that I have ever and will ever receive! President Barker calls it a Clemson family. And as corny as it might sound, it really is. Everyone, alumni included, is concerned about Clemson students, sports, and their "blood running orange". I have never heard of a school being so proud about where they go/went. Myself included. Its the perfect size. Around 17,000 but if you go to to the library you will know at least 100 people. You can walk or take the CAT bus everywhere. You can wear and be comfortable in anything to class. You will have great teachers that are willing to help you. There is ALWAYS something to do. There are tons of places to eat. Using your Tiger Stripe card to pay for things is always nice, too. Clemson is truly a college town and those that live around town, love the college kids. You will see clemson tiger paws everywhere, followed by beautiful landscapes and buildings. There are tons of on and off campus housing, and a great new recreation facility as well. The most common complaint, however, is parking. There is never enough. Yes, its a pain, but definitly not a reason to diss clemson. I am so proud to say that I go to clemson and I let everyone know that.

The best thing about Clemson is the Clemson Family. They start preaching this at orientation and you never really comprehend the phrase until you walk through campus and complete strangers stop you and ask you how your day is and how things are going. If I could change on thing I would change online classes. We all pay tuition to be taught by quality professors, we don't pay to teach ourselves. Clemson is just right, but we could definately expand in the future. When I tell people I go to Clemson, a majority of people say wow! that's a great school and you're up there in God's country. I spend most of my time on campus either going to class or getting involved somewhere. Clemson is a beautiful College town. Clemson's administration is great. most of them went to Clemson and have a deep passion for the students and the school. Biggest recent controversy has been a student death of campus that happened before Christmas break. School pride at Clemson is second to none. Solid Orange is everywhere and you can never break our pride. The unusual thing about Clemson is that we have 13,000 students, our sports programs are division I, and we are a top 30 public university. I will always remember my first Clemson football game at Death Valley. The most frequent complaints are about the parking patrol.

My favorite two aspects about Clemson are weather and football. They're both amazing. If I could change one thing about Clemson, it would be the parking situation, I'd build a parking garage in the middle of campus underground. Clemson is the perfect size. Most people from my hometown don't know much about Clemson so they don't react much when I tell them I go here. I spend the majority of my time in my room, other than when I'm in class or out socializing. There is barely any "town" to Clemson other than a tiny strip of bars and restaurants. It's still a nice area though. I haven't had too much contact with Clemson's administration so I can't say much about it other than the fact that I haven't gotten the best attention/advice from the two advisors I've talked through during the last two semesters when it comes to choosing classes. There is a ton of school pride here, another thing I love about Clemson. The best feeling I ever got here was on my first day here (from Connecticut, not knowing anybody) three people said hi to me while we were walking down the sidewalk, three complete strangers, and it just felt so good because I've never felt so included before. Most frequent student complaints deal with parking, opposite sex escorting in single sex dorms and visitation hours.

The best thing about Clemson is the feeling of pride you get walking around campus. From day one, you start to bleed Orange, due simply to the fact that they imprint that national sense of pride into you. School size is just right, because it's big enough where you can meet someone new everyday for your whole career there, but small enough where you will pass your friends/acquaintances on the way to class every so often. Some people to this day do not know where Clemson is located, and many in fact thing it's a private school since there's no "state" title tagged to it, and the city of "Clemson" is barely known to anyone who doesn't know about the school. It's a great college town because the town was set up to meet the needs of the students: college-price friendly restaurants, shops, bars, etc. Another awesome thing you will rarely find in in-state public schools is the diversity among people from different areas. Clemson's roughly about 40% out of state, and is certainly noticeable when asking people where they're from. Sadly, the race balance is nowhere near where it should be as it is about 87% white. Experiences I will always remember include how the entire CAMPUS becomes one big tailgate, the hills, stories, "snowdays" (we've had one every year I've been there), etc.

Watch out Disney, Clemson is the new happiest place on earth where dreams do come true. Welcome to a school with a big school picture with over 300 organizations to join, huge sports to cheer for and so much going on but can also manage to have a small campus feel. Make sure you leave for class with an extra 5-10 minutes because chances are you are going to stop to talk to a few friends that you see on the way. Everyone either plays sports or is a huge sports fan. Clemson has a preppy feel but the university does what it can to encourage individuality. The downtown may seem small but there are some awesome places from Todaro's pizza (yum!) and Spill the Beans icecream. The only problem with the university can be parking, but you really don't even need a car. The town of Clemson revolves around the University and are so respectful to the students. Everyone just has so much school pride and love for where they go. Clemson is 5 minutes from the lake and so cloes to the mountains to go hiking and stuff. Lots of your friends will have boats so you go to the river a lot, even just to swim at the Hidden Beach. I could never say enough good things about Clemson, I love it!

I think Clemson is a perfect college because it is not small but it is not huge. I know tons of people and all of my professors. As long as you take the time to introduce yourself to each professor, you won't feel like just another student in a big auditorium. Teachers and TA's are always willing to take the time to help you as long as you ask. I love the fact that Clemson is a college town and everyone around is there to help you out if you need it. It is very hard to explain my favorite memory of Clemson, but I will give you one of my favorites. The first time I ever visited Clemson's campus I was planning on attending a different college. My parent's and I drove onto Clemson's campus and drove down a hill that went straight up to Death Valley. I rolled my window down and there was the Clemson vs. NC State game and there was 2 minutes left in the game. The stadium was completely orange and I never heard such loud fans. The pride those fans had in their school was absolutely breath taking. I got chillbumps and I knew that I would love it at Clemson, and I have been at every game for my blood runs orange.

Clemson's biggest asset for me is Lake Heartwell and its small town atmosphere but large University status. I wouldn't change anything except more off campus fraternity housing. South Carolinians are impressed when they find out I go to Clemson and people not from South Carolina always wonder where it is... they are usually surprised that it is in South Carolina. I spend most of my time on campus in Brackett Hall which houses all of the social sciences. It is definitely a 'college town' as the whole town exists around the college. The biggest recent controversy on campus was if Wal-Mart should open in the town... (it did not... but did open up the road). I would be amazed if there was any other school with more pride, our blood run'eth orange! One unusual thing about Clemson is that a dyke was built to keep the campus from flooding and when the lake was made and filled. I will always remember meeting my pot luck room mate on move in day... who is now one of my best friends and was in my wedding. People don't really complain here.