Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

Students-- Let LOOSE! Those two words are the best words of advice I can give to a college freshman. As a competitive high school student, I remember the days of staying up late to finish homework, wasting my weekends studying for SATs, ACTs, and AP tests and forgetting what it was like to have fun. Grades were important, test scores were important, but just living wasn't. College is different. With the pressure off, it's time to learn how to live. Grades are still important- every test counts now- but your goal is to learn WHO you are, in addition to learning how to use the "shell method" to find the volume of a cylinder. Explore your college. See what it has to offer. Climb mountains, go to parties, do whatever it takes to find out which facet of your personality you like most. Your first year is for discovery- use this year to figure out who your real friends are and what types of things you want to spend the rest of your life doing. Don't be afraid to talk to the "popular" people, they're starting over too. Find out who you are and LOVE IT!

One of the most enlightening components of this question is that I was able to ask a random pool of Clemson classmates what their answer would be; then, I formulated this response. The beauty of starting college is that you're starting a new chapter. It's important to close the chapter of your high school life and strive to fill the next chapter with even more than you've already accomplished. If you were more self-taught in high school, try helping others in classes. A candle loses no light when lighting others, and college is ultimately a team-taught environment. Review notes when you get back from class so it remains fresh in your mind. If you want another muffin from the cafeteria, go to the gym for an extra 15 minutes to avoid gaining the "freshman 15." I don't care if you're not a sports fan, go to Clemson football games. Study the extra couple hours during the week to allow yourself to enjoy such a wondrous and spirit-filled tradition. The fact that I can ask my peers for such responses shows how distinctly culminating Clemson University is as a whole.

Since I have now completed my first semester of Northshore Community College during the Fall of 2010 and have graduated high school the previous June, I have gotten a few things out of college. I first learned that you learn more about yourself and what you want to do once having exposed yourself to different classes and subjects. Though I only take 2 classes per semester, after I took Composition and Elementary Algebra I learned that college can be both fun and difficult. I also learned that college is not for everyone. Though I go part time and take two classes, I still spent many hours completing the coursework and was amazed at the difficulty level(from someone who did well in high school). What's also an important experience I got out of attending community college was that it has given me the chance to learn new things and take much more interesting courses than I ever would have gotten the chance to in high school. Furthermore, the priceless education I have recieved and will continue to receive is down the street from where i live and affordable.

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience so far. I took a giant leap and chose a school in South Carolina when almost all of my friends and everyone I know chose schools in Connecticut or up North. I picked Clemson, a school where I knew no one, and was ready to start my journey all on my own. I was met with an extremely welcoming but different culture and environment which I had to adapt to. I was up to the challenge and quickly dived in to the new culture meeting many new types of people and having lots of new experiences. I joined a sorority and experienced the extremely different greek life and all of the additudes and beliefs that many of the people in the South shared. I have gained valuable knowledge from the school, my new found friends, and the different adventures that I have been on in my time at the college. I have learned how to adapt to new environments and situations and how to be independent since I really only had myself to rely, only going home for Christmas. So far my experience at Clemson has been amazing and invaluable.

In this age of very expensive schools and competitive job markets, I am of the impression that you can make the most out of your education wherever you are. ON the one hand, expensive private schools looks good on applications for jobs and can help you to furthers your career, but those schools are easier to get lost in. I would agrue that it may be better to excell and shine in a not as great school, then to be average in a good school. I now attend Duke University for graduate school, and I got here from an average schooopl, by taking advantage of all opportunities available to me outside of the classroom and getting noticed. I am glad that I chose to go to a less prestigious school, because it got me to a better place than I might have otherwise. You can't put a proce tag on a school, you need to go somewhere you can be happy and figure yourself out, while still getting an affordable education with opportunites to succeed after graduation. You can get a good education almost anywhere, depending on how hard you are willing to work. Good Luck!

As a satisfied college student, I have some useful advice on choosing the right school and making and the most of your college experience. The first step in choosing the right college is figuring out how far you want to travel. Choose a travel distance radius and have most of the schools you check out be in that radius. Next, decide on something that interests you and pick a school that offers a degree in that area. If you're not sure, choose a school with a wide range of options- that way, you can take different classes and get a feel for your passions. Finally, choose your top schools and go on an overnight trip to each and stay with a real college student in the dorms and go to classes for a day. You'll get a feel for what it's really like to be at that school. Once at school, get involved! Join a club that interests you and develop a personal relationship with your professors. Make sure you practice good time management and take advantage of the tutoring services on campus. Be aware of all the opportunities that are now yours and have fun!

First of all, the student who will attend the college needs to make the final decision. Parents who desperately want their child to attend their alma mater or want to make the decision for their child will have to face and respect the fact that it may not be what their child needs, and that it isn't the end of the world. That said, kids will often find out that their first choice isn't as good a fit as they thought it was after they visit; this is normal, though it does disorient one a bit. Parents, please be patient if this happens. Also, don't become incredibly angry if your child turns down a scholarship from one institution to go to another. While finances are important, if your child goes to an institution that they are unhappy with to begin with, it will wear on their grades and mental health, and which is more important in the long run: money or your child becoming a happy, healthy, mature adult? If your child is truly passionate about the institution, they will find a way to help meet its costs, and show you just how mature they truly are.

Stop being so anxious! Everything will end up just the way it is supposed to. Don't worry about going wild at college parties on Friday nights; you'll end up with a great support system. You don't have to worry losing your friends from home; you will stay in contact with those that matter, and some of those will surprise you! Take every advantage given to you, especially in those first few months. People WILL like you. Get ready to discover parts of yourself that you didn't know existed; to be introduced to the qualities that define your character from now until forever. People aren't kidding when they say that Architecture will take up 23 out of 24 hours in a day. Accept that early, maybe the transistion will be easier. In the first few months everyone is in the same boat: out of their comfort zone (don't let that girl down the hall fool you). Call Mom. She will hate waiting to realize how much you miss her. Take that jump, eat that second ice cream cone, and most of all, talk to the girl on the scooter. She will become your best friend.

You will not know exactly what you want to do in life until during / after your college experience, so pick a school that is well-rounded, with lots of excellent departments, and vibrant student life. That way, your student can be exposed to lots of new ideas and make a more well-informed choice about his / her career. I would stay away from schools that care more about pedigree than school spirit because the environment of 'working hard' and 'having fun' coexisting is really important for the success of these college years. If you're too stressed to have a fun time at the theater or downtown dining or pep rally, then your education is not worth the sacrifice. If you feel like you are not being challenged at all in your classes and you can't tak to you professors about new ideas that you have, then your education is not really turning out as an education at all. And, make sure that the housing and meal plans are up-to-date, convenient, and accessible; if you don't have somewhere nice to go home to at night, it makes a long day even longer.

Tristian Smiley 843471-4970 Assume you could go back in time and talk to yourself as a high school senior. knowing what you know now about college life and making the transition, what advice would you give yourself? If i were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, i would tell myself that life is more important than it seems right now.I would tell myself of the constant push and drive i would need to have, to succeed at my studies. I would stress to myself my surroundings and myu choices that I make in my personal life, to prepare myself for the future. I would make it very clear and critical to myself about my studies and what classes are important. i would tell myself of all the things that I can avoid to prepare myself even more in the future. finally I would also let myself know to have fun in moderation. studying and partying excessively is not the way to go! i would tell myself to choose my classes wisely to maintain a good study schedule. To maintain that study schedule so that I can maintain my work schedule.