Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and making the transition I would give myself a lot of advice. First I would tell myself not to be scared or worried about going, college is not as scary as I believed it to be. Also I would encourage myself to apply for MANY more scholarships than I did, college is expensive and I would rather come out loan free then owing $130,000 after college. I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school at all, it is much more difficult and requires much more studying and time but if you do study it pays off. Unlike in high school you can not get buy just going off memory, teachers do not teach everything thats on the test like in high school. I would tell myself to take advantage of the resources I have such as references and network connections because these become very useful when looking for internships and in teaching yourself outside of the class room. Finally I would thank myself for choosing the best school for me personally.

I know most people say something like, "TIME MANAGEMENT!" or "KEEP YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!", but for me, I think I would tell myself something completely different than those kids. Instead, I'd make sure to remind myself to keep in contact with my family more. My family is one of the single most important aspects of my life and when I headed off to college, my time was consumed by everything BUT family. It was new and I wanted to tell them all about it! Unfortunately, by the end of the day I was unable to call because it was too late and my 4 younger siblings would already be sleeping. I missed my family dearly but I always seemed to have something more important or interesting to fill my time with. I was able to call my mom every couple days for about 20 minutes, but that wasn't enough! I wish I could go back and tell them all of the exciting, funny, and embarrassing things I witnessed everyday, but I can't. I regret not making time for my family and if I had a chance to, I'd call them daily if I could go back.

In my experience, the best way you can make your college experience the best it can be is by getting involved on campus. If there aren't a lot of student organizations, start some! Plus, future employees love to see signs of leadership from your years in college! One recommendation: Don't go home on the weekends! That never helps. So much happens on the weekends and I guarantee you'll make friends a lot faster if you stay on campus. When you're choosing a university, make sure you feel comfortable on the campus when you go to visit. Could you see this place as your home one day? Also, find out if there is somewhere, off-campus or on-campus, where you can use your talents or hobbies. For example, if you love to act and there is not a strong theatre program on campus, look for a community theatre nearby. Lastly, look for places on or off campus where you can show leadership and contribute to the college and to the community instead of only looking at what the university can offer you, as important as that is. :-)

I would advise parents and students to look everywhere and be open to a variety of universities. I think talking to college students about their experiences also tell a lot about the school. Identify your top priority and keep the rest flexible. For example, I value safety and found that my top choices provided very safe environments. I applied to schools varying in size and tried to visit as many campuses as I could. This helped me decide what I wanted in a school and allowed me to get a feel for it. I suggest talking to Department Heads about their programs in order to become knowledgeable and also to provide the school with a name and face to accompany your application. If the student gets a negative feeling on the campus visit, that school is probably not for him/her. I believe that, ultimately, the student should make the final decision while keeping in mind the opinions of the parents'. I would not change anything about my college search and I hope the best for future graduates. Go Clemson Tigers!

Just about every aspect my college experience has taught me different aspects of responsibility. Starting when I first walked into a financial aid office, I learned the realities of certain financial institutions and the values of my previous high school career. I was automatically filled with delight upon viewing my merit based awards and learned a true life lessen when reading promissary notes for student loans. How easily financial truths can become known! Once actually in school, I learned that you have to be responsible for your actions, no matter what the setting. I had a professor that did not have an attendance policy. He said that it was our education and that we would get out of it only what we put into it. That really stuck with me. While in college I even got involved with political movements and opened my mind up to alot aspects of life I had never focused on. The responsibility I have learned and gained during my college years have made me who I am today and will always be with me.

I grew up right outside of Columbia, SC. Columbia is a fairly large city where it is always easy to find something to do. When i was accepted to Clemson, I was wary of the "small town" feel to it. I was used to driving through stop lights and large buildings on either side of me. But when i came to Clemson it was the complete opposite. Just across from my appartment are fields...... Cows live directly across from me. I have come to love the country feel of this University and wouldn't trade my experience for anything. Even though I have lots of fun at Clemson, that does not mean there have been no hardships. As with all colleges, Clemson has a daunting academic prestige. Finding the perfect balance between school and play is essential to success in college. I guarantee anyone will have the best four years of their life if they can attain this balance. I would highly recommend Clemson University to anyone, especially if you are someone who was not raised in a "small country town" like i was.

From my college experience here at Clemson Unviersity I have really discovered who I am and how far I can push myself. Coming into college I wasn't sure what to expect, I had been the kid in high school that could juggle school & sports fine & keep up my grades. Once I got to school though trying to juggle engineering classes with the varisty rowing team really challenged me to become self-motivating & to become a really good time manager. Clemson has challenged me to be outgoing & meet new people along with discovering my true likes and dislikes. Clemson has helped to strengthen my relationship with God & to show me that I can do anything if I put my mind to it & lay out a plan to get it done. There are so many opportunities here to discover who I am, whether it is meeting people from all over the world in my classes, racing on a division 1 team, or really learning new things through my classes. Clemson has been an extremly valuable place for me to grow not only as a student but truly as a person.

i feel like it's cliche to say that college is the best years of your life. But, as cliche as it may seem, it has definitely proven to be true for me so far. My time at Clemson University was incredible and unforgettable and there is not a day that goes by when I do not miss it. When choosing a college, it's important to consider multiple factors. Academics are obviously important, but so are the extra curriculars and community offered by the school, because those are elements that ultimately shape your personal growth process while in college. It's important for a school to have a sense of pride and a lively spirit. It's important that the school provide challenges to its students, academically and in other arenas as well. I believe that making the most of the college experience comes when you place focus on your academics and work with diligence and integrity, while at the same time maintaining a diverse and enriching social life filled with interesting people and challenging activities.

If I could go back in time to my senior year of High School, I would tell myself to make sure I am prepared. Not only prepared academically, but mentally and financially as well. Although college is said to be the best time of a person's life, it can also be one of the most trialing times in a persons life. All the work a person recieves from their classes can take a serious toll on them. I would tell my self to prepare to and learn how to handle many assingments at one time and to not get stressed out. I would also tell myself to search for as many scholarships as I possibly can to help support me in school. Right now my family is financially struggling to put me through school. Clemson University is a very expensive school. For students, such as myself, who come from families with not enough money to put their child through school, college can be very stressful. Last I would tell myslef to never give up and keep the final goal in mind. My goal is to become a cardiologist, and I will achieve it.

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would give myself advice in regard to two aspects of my senior year and choices I made. First thing I would tell myself is to apply myself more and try harder. Had I known all of the benefits that AP classes had to offer, I would have tried harder to get into an AP course. Realizing now the hours you can gain and the money you can save, I would not let myself have an average senior year, as I did in high school. The other piece of advice I would give myself would be to visit and apply to as many colleges as you can. I would not allow myself to settle for a college that I viewed as mediocre; I would make myself apply to the colleges that would be a stretch for me to get into, but that if I did get in, they would change my life. I would also tell myself to join as many clubs and organizations as possible once you get to college. In order to fully appreciate the college experience, it is essential to immerse yourself into the atmosphere.