Clemson University

« See more reviews of Clemson University

When people knew I would be attending Clemson, the natural question they asked was, "Aren't you worried you'll miss home too much?" Going from Connecticut to South Carolina was indeed a very large distance, however, I did not realize just how hard the distance would be. For this reason, I was hit with a very hard case of home-sickness my first couple of months at college. Although I was able to combat it and get past missing home, I would have suffered much less shock had I realized just how much home would mean once I left.

I wish I had known that I could have taken some of the general courses during high school and be ahead of myself. Not only would I have taken classes that I needed it for college but it would have been free. The money I could have saved and the time I could have put forth more in the courses that work toward my major are the thoughts that linger in my mind as I wished I could have done more in high school. If only I put more effort into preparing myself for college, I could have much better.

Honestly, I wish I knew how far away Clemson is from a decently sized city. Growing up in a suburban/urban setting, I've always lived from 20 mins or less from anywhere I wanted to go. Greenville (a very cute, small city) is about 45 mins away... but that's the biggest and closest city you're going to get. It is also a different atmosphere from growing up in the North... where stores are open veryyyyy late...and alcohol is actually sold on Sundays. Very interesting getting used to.

I wish I had known how hard it would be to transfer in my second semester. It was very hard to make friends and get into the swing of things. I transferred because I endured an extreme hardship, and the struggle of finding my niche at Clemson did not make things any easier. I wish I had known what the people were like. I wish I had researched more about the lack of diversity at this university. I also wish I had known how big of a role Greek Life plays at this university.

Before I had come to Clemson University I wish I had known a better system of studying and where to find a job on campus. It is difficult for me to study using the same methods I had used in high school because they are two different types of learning, but thanks to the Academic Success Center I learned new techniques. Also it is hard to find a job here so money is tight for everone, but if I had known where to find one before school it wouldn't be an issue now.

I wish i had known that clemson's social environment was based mostly on greek affiliation. there aren't too many other options. I also wish i had know about the lack of diversity within the campus and the high degree of conservativism. These southern born individulas aren't very open minded with religion and politics which can be offensive. I didnt know that a lot of people leave Clemson on the weekends either to get away after football season is over.

I first attended at small techincal college. I did very well and thought i was prepared for a large University like Clemson. It turned out to be a totally differnt world. The classes are much larger and more vigorous. Little things such as walking a long distance to class can even be underestimated. A large college can make you feel unimportant when things seem to go wrong, but when its all said and done, the hard work is well worth it.

I wish I had known that there was going to be so much construction before I came. I have walk to class a different way every week because of closed sidewalks and I never know what sidewalk is going to close next. I also wish I had known how hard it is to get an on campus job. I wish I had known that the dining halls would be very repetitive or that Clemson offers a payment plan for your bill that you have to sign up for early.

I wish I had known more about the ministries available to me. At my orientation session I couldn't find the campus ministries section and I really wish I could have. The thing is, I KNOW the college can offer so much when it comes to minitries! All I have to do is find them now! Although I'm a little reserved about going out and finding them for myself, I'm excited at the same time.

The football ticket system can be pretty tricky and invonvenient. I didn't know anything about having to sleep outside in line in order to get good seats (or sometimes even a ticket at all), and I also didn't know about alternatives to doing this. New students should definitely do their research on this to figure out what works best for them.