About Coastal Carolina University

Founded in 1954, Coastal Carolina University. is a Public college. Located in South Carolina, which is a city setting in South Carolina, the campus itself is Urban. The campus is home to 9,747 full time undergraduate students, and 732 full time graduate students.

The Coastal Carolina University Academic calendar runs on a Semester basis. In the school year the student to faculty ratio was 17:1. There are 451 full time instructional teachers. Degrees awarded at Coastal Carolina University include: Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree, Post-master's certificate, Doctor's degree.

Quick Facts

Acceptance Rate61%
Application Deadline
Application Fee45
SAT Range930-1090
ACT Range20-25

Admissions at CCU are considered Selective, with ,146% of all applicants being admitted.

In the school year, of the students who applied to the school, only 13 of those who were admitted eventually ended up enrolling.

66% of incoming freshmen are in the top half of their high school class. 28% were in the top quarter, and 8% were in the top tenth. You can apply online.

STUDENT LIFE

We asked, and students answered these important questions about student life at Coastal Carolina University.

“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”
“We”re apathetic”
“We know about current events and vote”
“We participate and encourage others to get involved”
“There”s nothing we won”t protest”
“We save it for the classroom”
“Sometimes, but not often”
“There”s usually intelligent conversation to be found”
“All the time, including weekends”
“I”m always terrified”
“I only go out in groups”
“I usually let someone know where I”m going”
“I feel extremely safe”
“We don”t play sports”
“We play recreationally”
“We bought the gear”
“We live for the big game”
“It”s not really our thing”
“Occasinally we gallery crawl”
“There are a variety of opportunities”
“We”re a very artistic group”
“Haven”t met them”
“Available in class”
“They keep regular office hours”
“They”re always available”
“No greek life, but other groups to join”
“There is some involvement, but not a lot”
“Plenty of people join a sorority or fraternity”
“It”s everything. If you”re not greek, you”re a geek”
“We”re not into drinking at all”
“Maybe a little, but it”s not a big thing”
“We only party on weekends”
“There”s some drinking happening every night”
“Never, we”re here to learn”
“There might be people who do”
“People are known to partake on weekends”
“There”s a huge drug scene”

Coastal Carolina University REVIEWS

Write a review, Enter to win $1,000 Scholarship
  • How would you rate on-campus housing?

247 Students rated on-campus housing 3.8 stars. 26 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate off-campus housing?

177 Students rated off-campus housing 3.8 stars. 0 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus food?

284 Students rated campus food 3.4 stars. 19 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate campus facilities?

296 Students rated campus facilities 4.3 stars. 48 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate class size?

296 Students rated class size 4.4 stars. 52 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate school activities?

295 Students rated school activities 4.3 stars. 49 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate local services?

297 Students rated local services 4.3 stars. 57 % gave the school a 5.0.

• How would you rate academics?

296 Students rated academics 4 stars. 38 % gave the school a 5.0.

What's your overall opinion of Coastal Carolina University?

105 Students rated Coastal Carolina University

Gregory - 06/28/2021

With a low tuition, moderately sized (and beautiful, might I add) campus, decent housing and great community, Coastal Carolina is honestly a great place to achieve your desired studies. I had a blast all four years of undergrad, because there will at least be one highlight every year, if not every month (every day with the right friends!). This relatively young school is growing into quite the powerhouse, and I don't have many gripes with it. Just be aware that you're going to be on the hunt for parking spaces a lot. And I mean a LOT.

Raina - 05/29/2021

My honest opinion of CCU is because of the pandemic my freshmen year was not what it could have been. But with that said it still is a very good school. Most of my classes were virtual but all of my professors were available when needed. My experience so far has been a good one. I do not like the way people who don't attend this university have their negative opinions about it. This school has been labeled as a party school only because of its close distance to the beach. I feel like because it is so close to the beach this is the perfect place to go when students need stress relief, walking on the beach and listening to the waves is relaxing and serene.

John - 02/09/2021

This school is extremely overpriced for what you get. They barely are a university in my opinion. The classes are not up to par with how much it cost to go here. I would say to anyone deciding on this school or there other one, PLEASE PICK THE OTHER ONE. Getting help around this campus is a headache. The Professor egos are through the roof and not helpful. It takes at least a few days or a week for professors to respond to emails, witch by then the assignment has passed and a response does nothing. There is zero parking during your freshman year. You HAVE to park your car mid afternoon otherwise you have to walk about a mile across campus to where the housing is located everytime you leave campus. Some of the housing is extremely dirty with garbage the majority of the time. This is a party school. People go here to party and not receive a quality education. Although, the Marine science major here isn\\\'t a bad average. I have friends that are currently still in that major. In summary, the staff here needs some upgrading, and there are extremely annoying things you have to deal with on a daily basis that hinder you from focusing on what you need to, getting a quality education and enjoying yourself!

Ellie - 12/05/2020

It's a good school. The academics are nothing to complain about, the athletics are off the chart this year, the campus is gorgeous, everyone is super nice, and the facilities are pretty good. However, you do need to note that this isn't a Christian university. There's a big bar scene at Coop, Tav, Tongy's, 810, etc. Greek life is pretty big, and I can't think of there being more than a week without parties. If you can balance work and play, it's a pretty good choice for you.

Coastal Carolina University FAQS

1. What is the Acceptance Rate at Coastal Carolina University?

The fall 2020 acceptance rate for Coastal Carolina University is 61%. That means, out of _____ applications received in 2020 , _____ students were offered admission. The number of males who applied was _____ vs the number of females which was _____.

2. What should every freshman at your school know before they start?

I would tell myself to take a little bit more time choosing a major. It will be easier coming in to the university already having chose a major. Also, look up professors' reviews. Find out which ones are passionate about what they teach and take those classes. And it's okay to drop a class. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone but yourself. If you don't think you can pull through and make the good grade, just drop it. It's better than having a bad grade on your transcript. Other than that, just enjoy it!

3. What do you consider the worst thing about your school? Why?

I can honestly say there is none. The campus is wonderful, thefood is great, the professors are awesome. They help you learn and make sure you grasp the concept of what they are teaching. So, all together Coastal Carolina University is amazing.

4. Describe how your school looks to someone who's never seen it.

Coastal Carolina is a resource, experience, and growth filled college from the student body, faculty, admindistration, and to the overall community.

5. What's unique about your campus?

One of the best things about Coastal Carolina University is the campus activities and envolvment. On campus there is always something go on and its fun to be a part of that. We have Teal Tuesday where everyone dresses up in teal so show school spirit. Our school is friendly. An added bonus is our beautiful campus and the great location being only ten minutes from Myrtle Beach and the ocean.

6. Describe the students at your school.

All my classmates have a sense of humor because they know how to make your day just when you thought it was going to be a bad day.

7. What's the one thing you wish someone had told you about freshman year?

Before I came to Coastal I wish I would have taken the SAT and ACT more than once.

8. What kind of person should attend this school?

Any type of person should attend this school! There is a huge diversity of students attending this university. You just need to like southern weather and southern hospitality.

9. What kind of person should not attend this school?

There is no classification of people who should reach for higher knowledge at Coastal Carolina University. Coastal offers a variety of classes for several different undergraduate majors and a few graduate studies. Coastal even has classes called LIFE classes that they cater towards for special needs adults.

10. Describe your favorite campus traditions.

It is most likely best known for its marine science program.

11. Here's your chance: Say anything about your college!

Our school is neither a big school nor a small school. It is very welcoming, We have this mentality of being together. The atmosphere is just pleasing, I do not want to ever transfer as long as I can stay here!

12. What's the most frustrating thing about your school?

If you are an apiring student at Coastal Carolina, please be aware of your financial situation. This university has a tendency to notify the student of change in financial aid in a very untimely manner.

13. What do you brag about most when you tell your friends about your school?

I brag about the overall effect Coastal Carolina University has. When I walk around campus, I feel giddy. I have made a new life with new friends and family here. I succeed in my work, enjoy my teachers and the classwork. The teachers make it so the students can enjoy class. They give us interesting assignments, such as an critique essay that sparks a variety of emotions, to art class where we learned about the soccer ball program in Africa and crafted our own. Every teacher has a story, every student too, I love it.

14. What are the academics like at your school?

Coastal is all about being personal. Professors know your name, if you want them to. Class participation isn't always a must, but it's worth it to get involved. Students aren't too competitive, we are there to do what's best for us. Coastal's academic requirements are bad at all. Your academic advisor is there to be your friend and help you. We have the coolest and weirdest classes. We have a scuba diving class and a scootering class...yes, scooter. Education at Coastal is al about what's best for you. They want you to be able to get a job when you graduate, but they also want you learning for your own sake.

15. What are the most popular student activities/groups?

Most popular clubs and organizations are Greek Life and just about every club. SCREAM is our club which is at every sporting even pumping up the players and the crowd! Students are very open and welcoming, depending on which hall you're in, students leave their doors open..or unlocked and you can just go in and chill. Our athletic events are the talk of not only the entire campus but the town. I met my closest friends at Orientation and during welcome week. Go and explore the campus, don't be afraid to say "Hey" and ask where others are from. Go to club recruitment day and sign up for any club that looks fun(most of them are). We have founders day each year...we get the day off shcool and we get late night breakfast for free in our dining halls. People have fun. Some people party every night while others don't do it all. I've found a happy median and I got a 3.9 last semester. There are tons of things that don't involve drinking, like hall activities that your RA puts on.

16. What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

That all sororities are stuck up. False statement because I am in one and I would not consider myself stuck up. Just because we hold ourselves to a higher standard does not mean a thing.

17. Describe a typical weekend.

Students typically go out to bars or go to nearby apartment complexes to party. Those that don't party will go shopping or go to Broadway at the Beach.

18. Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Coastal is a beautiful school in South Carolina. It is a pretty calm school despite the fact that many people believe it is a party scene. The beach isn't too far away, provided you have a reliable way to get there. There is plenty to do near by, including shopping outlets, a mall, and Broadway at the Beach.

19. Is the stereotype of students at your school accurate?

Unfortunately we have classes most days...

20. Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are many places to eat off campus including pizza places and sushi restaurants. Hick's dining hall is buffet style. CINO Grille has a burger place, sushi place, Mexican food, Subway, and Chick-fil-a. UP Cafe offers deli food, a salad bar, and hot meals. The quality of the food is average.

21. What are the most popular classes offered?

Marine biology is one of the most popular majors here, so anything related to that is usually a popular class.

Student Body

Student Organizations

Fraternities

Sororities

Housing

of students living on campus

Student Diversity

% American Indian/Alaskan Native
N/A
% Asian/Pacific Islander
% Black or African-American
% Hispanic/Latino
% White or Caucasian

TUITION & AID

All students must apply yearly for financial aid. This process starts with the FAFSA. Though financial aid deadlines vary by school, it is a good idea to apply as soon as possible. For the upcoming school year, you can apply as early as October 1 for the FAFSA. Additional school aid will be dependent on the FAFSA results.

91% of students attending Coastal Carolina University receive some sort of financial aid. 35% were awarded federal grants. While 70% received federal loans. Many students do also need to apply for additional private student loans.

Cost Out of State

$25,120

Tuition and fees(Out of state)

$1,160

Books and Supplies

$9,278

Room and Board

35,558

Total On Campus

Actual Cost By Income Level(W/Financial Aid)

Family Income
$17,998
$110K & UP
$18,789

FIND SCHOLARSHIPS

Find your perfect match from over 3 million scholarships!

CAN YOU GET INTO Coastal Carolina University?

Complete your profile to see if this school is a fit for you, and what your chances of admitance are.