Colby-Sawyer College Top Questions

LaNae

skjd

Molly

I've always had a strong personality. I have strong convictions, I laugh loud, I listen closely and question closer. All of these qualities I appreciate in myself, they make me who I am: a happy, confident young woman who is always ready to take a stand for what I see as right. As a student entering a college full of strangers, I was very much afraid of striking out socially, and I had learned the hard way before that my strong personality could hinder making friends. Initially in college I adopted the "go with the flow" mentality of someone just trying to fit in, which helped me make friends quicker, but did not improve the quality of my friendships. Once I embraced my true personality, some of my friendships fell apart, but the friendships built on mutual caring and honesty grew stronger. If I could go back in time and encourage myself as a high school senior to never shy away from the independent woman she is, I would have learned much sooner that having a successful social life is about learning cooperation as yourself, rather than a lesson in conforming with everyone else.

Looking back, I was so excited to become a college student. I thought that I'd enjoy the freedom and the friends more than anything. When I got here, I was in for a reality check. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to choose wisely and to apply to more schools, since I had only applied to two. I'd make sure I stayed the night as a prospective student so I could see how life would be like, and do not pick a roommate before even knowing what you are getting into. I have learned a lot of lessons as a freshmen in college and they are both academic and social. I would tell myself to focus on school more the first semester instead of trying to make as many friends, and learn that you may not get along with the person you live with ALL the time, but issues can be easily resolved by talking about the situation maturely. My main piece of advice is to be yourself and don't try to please every person you meet because you are always the best person you can be.

The advice that I would give myself would be to research and fill out scholarships during my senior year and to get more involved in school and my community. Start playing sports, join clubs, volunteer at a charity event or community service.

Alcy

I would easily tell myself three words: “Follow your heart. When I was younger, the rest of the world was telling me that I should look into writing as a profession and ignored them all. They all knew the secret I was pushing aside. It would not be until many years later that I would finally see where I can truly prosper. When I fell into the books that I was reading; engulfed in the beautiful words of poetry being spoken around me—it all came together. The younger “me” was missing out on the world. I know this now and I’m grateful to be on the right path. I hope, in the future, to be a professor in the classroom when a “closet writer” is denying their future. I would love to be the voice that they could (possibly) listen to.

I would tell myself that college is not as scary as it sounds! It may seem intimidating to have to go through the process of making new friends and a name for yourself. Everyone else who is a freshmen is going through the same thing and that we all chose the school for a reason. Keeping in contact with friends and family back at home is easier than originally thought and if you need someone from back home, they are only a phone call away. I would tell my senior-self that cramming only occurs when you procrastinate; believe it or not, getting sleep in college is possible! In fact is so important because it prevents you from getting sick and gives you energy to get stuff done. Lastly, I would tell myself that now is the time in your life to try new things! If there is a club or activity you want to try, do it! What have you got to lose?

Robert

Well im only a sophmore in college, about to begin my secondsemester. Still with the short time I have attended college, it has benn a great experience. I've had to deal with culture shock and long distance relationships with family/friends. With the help on the studentbody and the adults on campus, I was able to get over those bumps in my road. I live in the city of Chicago, But attend a east coast school, one can only image the struggles of this situation. The school is worth it though. Thr small envirnoment is comfortabe and safe. I've had the opportunity to visit cities and states close to New Hamshire. the follage that the fall bring each year is amazing and unlike any site I have seen before. Snowboarding and skiing were a first for me and so fun. Other experiences have been fun, different and first. The school is valueable because it's one of a kind, though that may sound cliche. No matter if anyone agrees with me, I love my school

Asia

My college experience has granted me the independence and the self-confidence to know that I can create a life on my own. I am now my own individual unique self. In high school I was just part of the crowd, going along with what everyone else did. Now I am me. But becoming ?me? was all in part of the lessons that my college friends have taught me. My friend Matt has showed me how to view the world as art. Xanthe, Lindsey, and Mandy have taught me how to be a woman. They taught me the lessons of feminism and to stand up for what you believe in. Nancy, my roommate, unknowingly to her has taught me how to be patient and how to live with someone that is the complete opposite of me in both personality and cleanliness. In conclusion, each of my friends has shaped me to be the person that I am today. They have given me the confidence to be the person that I am and to love me no matter what. If I did not go to college I would still be an anxiety ridden high school girl and not a proud woman.

Averie

I would tell myself to follow my dreams and my heart. I would tell myself to be strong and not to worry about being homesick or missing friends because it will get better. I would also tell myself to work hard, get good grades, and be excited about learning, because that is how I will be able to make the most of my degree, and my major, in the professional world. I would tell myself to make friends, be happy, stress free, and enjoy the college life while it lasts.

ashley

The advice i would give myself to better prepare for college and my final year of high school would consist of many thing. The first thing would to really work hard and get good grades for both high school and college. This helps you many ways; one way is it helps you get scholarships and grants. The second thing would be to really take the time and look at schools. Don?t just look at the ones that look nice or my friends are going to, but also look at the price of the school and if I could afford it or not. The third thing would be to really thank my family more and their support through all of my schooling and the ones to come. And the last one would be to still stay friends with my home town friends just because I went off to school does not mean they still cannot be your friends.

Gina

As a high school senior I remember being very anxious about picking a school and wondering if I can see myself being happy there. If I were to give myself advice, I would tell myself to go with what choice I feel is right. It is a good idea to really look deep into the schools you are interested in. I believe you should be somewhat picky about what you are looking for and don't settle. This is going to be your home for the next four years or more so you should feel comfortable and safe in the environment you choose. If it is possible, do an overnight at the school and ask the students what you really want to know about the school. No one knows better than they do. Also, if the school doesn't work out there are several other schools you can transfer to. Transferring is more common then you would think so don't be discouraged if you are not enjoying your school and please never believe you are stuck there.

Katlyn

Visit the college and the surrounding area! Don't just ask the admissions office questions, go around and see what people have to say. You'll get a better feeling of the school. Once you've made a decision on the school make sure you're prepared with supplies (books etc) you'll feel more comfortable going into classes. Spend the first weeks meeting people- don't be shy to go out and introduce yourself. The people you meet can make or break your experience. Keep on top of your work but be sure to set time aside for yourself so you do not feel overworked. And go home if you can for home cooked meals once in a while!

I would tell students to pick a school where they can be themselves, but are pushed academically. I think it is important for students to visit the school and make sure they feel they could be a student there. When receiving acceptance letters it is important to make sure that the school you got into makes you excited and calls out to you. The school should be a place where the student would feel comfortable living and making new friends. While at school students should push themselves to learn as much as they can. They should form relationships with their peers, and teachers. The student should also become involved in as many school activities as they would like to help socialize and further develp their relationship with peers.

Matthew

When looking for the right college, keep in mind the size of the classroom. Class sizes at my school are fairly small and there is a lot of personal attention from the teacher which can be very helpful in the learning process. The primary goal of college is to provide you with opportunities to have the career you want, so make sure the school offers the classes and educational services you are looking for. Also, choose a school that has the right social environment to fit your wants. You will most likely be spending up to four years of your life there, so make sure you feel you can have a happy social life. Extra-curricular activities will likely become a large part of your life in college, so make sure the schools you're looking at have the ones you enjoy, such as sports, music, etc. If you find a school that will provide you will all of these, as well as the right amount of financial aid services, you may want to move this school to the top of your list. Finally, in order to achieve the greatest college experience, one must seize these opportunities the school provides.

Get involved, stay involved, do your work, get hands on experience, ask questions, pick the school that is best for you not your parents or your friends or your significant other, go on tours, look at schools, don't be stupid and flunk out, get a fish, sleep in, stay up late, go to bed early, get up early, go to sporting events, get a job, eat the dining hall food, study in the library, study in the dining hall, study on the quad, study in your room, hang out with friends, make new friends, forget the old, and remember no one cares what your high school was like or what you and your were like in high school...most importantly, enjoy your four years because it goes by quicly and you will never get it back, these are the best years of your young life, enjoy them

Chantalle

SPEND TIME. It takes so much time to read about schools, contact them, visit them, and then you're going to spend 2-4 years there, which is even more time! So use it wisely, use as much as you have, and make sure the school you pick is the right one for you. And don't limit yourself-- if you want to be a nurse and are only looking at schools with good nursing programs you may miss out on some other important things. Look at the big picture... academics, sports, location, social life... figure out what is important to you and what you want most out of your college experience. Yes of course college is about academics, but don't disregard how important extracurricular activities or social events are. Trust me, if you only sit in your room and do homework, you won't enjoy your time at school. So get involved, put yourself out there and try something new. If there are people in your dorm you overhear talking about rugby, and you think, "hey whats that?" Ask about it, try it out, you never know unless you try!

Shane

Try to visit each college that really seems the best for you, and then go and talk to some of the professors, get some student feedback on what they think about the college and then narrow down your choices from there. And look for the one that seems it will be able to give you the most out of your education.

Gina

College is suppose to be the best time of your life. When deciding on a college you should take it seriously and actually research what you want in a college. After selecting a few schools, you should go and tour them, sit in on a class, and ask several questions. If you know that you wouldn't be able to live at a school without a sports team where fans come out, then make sure there is a specific sports team you enjoy. Also, you should choose a school where you feel comfortable on campus and can see yourself walking around and studying. Making the most of the college experience is something you should want. The best advice I can give is to get yourself involved. You should enjoy college and making friends will help you get through the hard times. Making the most of the college experience doesn't mean you have to take part in activites such as drinking and partying. You should never feel pressured. If you are not the partying type, you will find friends who choose not to party also. Make college the best time of your life, be specific, and know what you want.

Allegra

When looking at a college to go to, my personal advice would be to go to the school and talk to as many people as you can, especially students. Going there more than once is a good idea, infact i would say go there as many times as you can 4 or even 5. Some schools offer over night stays and orientations, those are great to do because you really get an idea of whats happening around campus even at night. The one thing i would 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} recomend would be to do ANY new student trip the school has to offer. It was the best thing i could have done. The connection you can make within a week can change your entire 1st month at school. When you finally get to college, make as many friends as you can, be YOURSELF and just enjoy whats around you. Talk to people, introduce yourself. Its up to you to make your college the life the best is can be so dont be shy. Your finally an adult and on your own, take advantage of whats given to you and embrace it, But at the same time be responsible and smart. Embrace!

Kathryn

Finding the right college is very important. You need to take into affect what you want as a student. Maybe a large school vs. a small school, or one that is more rural vs. urban. Look ahead at yourself, and where you want to see yourself in five years. Do you as a student believe that the college you like will be able to lead you there. Parents should assist their children in this process, but should not tell them where to go, or which school they cannot go to because they do not like it. This will only confuse the student, and stress them out more in their descision making. Parents should guide their child in the right direction, help them fill out applications for schools, financial aid and loans. Once you are attending that school you finally found that you like, you need to make sure to stay involved. Take every opportunity that comes your way. Get involved with sports or clubs on campus. Make a difference, do something noone has every done before and start something new. Most importantly meet new people. You could meet that one special person that may become your friend for life.

Kaylah

The advice that I would like to give to parents and students about finding the right college, is to first sit down and write out a list of things you may be looking for a college to have. As you start to visit colleges or go to college fairs bring that check list, and ask questions to see if that college has everything you are looking for. If that college has maybe 4 out of the 5 things you are looking for, well maybe thats a good choice, but if that college only has 2 out of the 5, well maybe thats not the right college for you. In order to make the most out of a college experience,you have to let yourself have fun, and open up, but never forget the reason you're there, and that reason should be to get a good education. Let yourself open up to new things, don't be afraid of who you are, and if you don't know who you are, then let that be a mission as well, to find out who you are and get a good education. I say the best of luck, its fun and enjoyable!

College selection is a very important process that needs to be taken seriously because once you choose a college, you want to be able to stay there for the next two or four years. I know a friend that has constantly been transferring because she didn't like it where she was, and she is just pushing her degree farther and farther away. I think that really finding a place that fits most if not all of your personal wants and needs will be the best way to start your college selection process. Look to see if its the right size, location, cost, majors, sports, extra curriculars, student-teacher ratio. There are many factors to consider when making your decisions, but if you can find all the good qualities in your school, you will know you like it. Finally, when you get to college, make sure that you know how to balance your work and play. You definitely need to work hard, but you do not want to be too overwhelmed, so you have to take time for yourself and do some extra curricular activites or just relax. Just remember to work hard, have fun, and believe in yourself.

Kristin

The advice I would give parents is to help guide their child in the right direction. A parent should also not judge whether or not their child goes to the college due to the tuition. There are ways to pay off school. So, tution is something that should not affect the child's choice. As for the student the advice I would give is to really look around. The more options you have with all different types of colleges really helps you narrow it down. If you have 4 schools in mind that are all the same, that descision will be more difficult. Also, students should really think about is this the right school for me? Colby-Sawyer was a great choice for me because it is small, and the location is peaceful, no city distractions here!

Danielle

When visiting colleges, it is important to stay true to yourselfs. When you begin looking at schools, I would reccommend looking at the size of the school, the type of students who attend, the student to teacher ratio, the clubs offered, the schools enviroment, and outside activites the campus offers. Also when observing schools, go with your gut feeling. Whether your gut feeling is positive or negative, it is important to stay true to your original instinct. After visiting the schools you were interested in, I would make a list of pro's and con's on each of the schools. From the list of pro's and con's, I would than advice you to narrow down your college list. Once you feel comfortable with your list of schools, I would begin to apply as soon as possible. As far as my advice for parents, I would reccommend being fully supportive of their child's college decision. Children want their parents to be supportive of their career goals as well as their every decision. College is one of the most important aspects of life.

Kyla

When looking at colleges it is easiest to first narrow down a region of the world where you want to go, decide if you would like to go to a small school, or a large school, and then start looking at schools that offer possible majors that you would like to go into. When I was first applying to schools I had my heart set on one, and then I visited after my acceptance, learned a little more, and my first choice changes. This is huge. You MUST visit the schools that you apply to. Do it before, or after you apply, and ask anything that you want to. If you can, talk to students who are not involved with your tour, and don't go on an open house day because then you will get a true feel for the school. Try the food before you arrive. Food is a necessity to life, and if you don't like the food offered then you are going to be in a world of hurt when that is all that is available to you, making your own food wastes money becuase you already have a food plan. Have fun; Good luck!

I would tell students to go with their gut instinct when choosing a college. If an atmosphere 'feels' right in the deepest part of you, then chances are your experience in that institute will be a positive one. I'm a strong believe in "what's meant to be will happen," and if you let life happen in a natural manner, things will either work out in your favor or, if everything falls apart throughout your time there, you will learn a lesson from the experience which will, whether you initally realize it or not, make you a stronger person. Although I didn't particularly like the college at first (my instinct as a senior in high school was to find the most outrageous experience possible through college), something inside of me told me that it 'fit' me; I listened to this gut feeling when choosing between this college and 5 others, and although my experience has been both positive and negative, I know that I learned about myself through the challenges I have faced. I would tell parents to listen to your teenager, trust their judgement, and guide them along without making the decision for them.

Chantalle

The most important thing is visiting the school. You will never know if the school is the right fit unless you actually go there and get a sense of what type of community you are going to be living in. Sometimes a school can seem perfect online and you love their programs, but once you visit you realize that there is a vibe there that just isn't right for you. Finding the right college is like getting into a relationship--you need to know the other person and connect with them. Trust me, you'll know when you've found the right place. Once you get there, get involved! Join anything that sounds interesting. Once you go to a couple of meetings or practices you'll know if it's something you want to continue, but there's no harm in trying something out to see if you like it. People who are afraid to take the risk and just sit in their rooms don't have any fun and don't get the most out of their college experience. It's also the best way to make friends!

Kristina

Finding the right college involves letting the student decide. Explore all of your options and follow your gut when making your choice. While some colleges may offer more financial assistance, others may offer opportunities and experiences that might not be as obvious as a sum of money. Also listen to the people you meet at the campus and really appreciate the tour and visting days for all they are worth (they will tell you more about the campus than a brochure ever will). Also enjoy this process because for most it only happens once. While it may be stressful and frightening it is important to remember that an entire Freshman class is experiencing the same feelings at this student and it is important to interact because this will be one of your homes for the next four years. So overall make the best of this experience, have no regrets, be open and flexible to change, but maintain your individualism, because on graduation day you will see that you have become a better person because of this experience.

I would advise both parents and students to go and check out each of the campuses that the student wants to apply too. Ask a series of questions to each of the colleges, and compare the results at the end of the day. I would also adivse the parents to sit down and chat with the student about drinking, and drugs because these things go on a lot on campus, and the student should be aware.

Michelle

I would say to look at all options for schools and take your time when choosing. Make the most of your college life because it flies by!!!!

Shane

what kind of college are you more keen towards a small college or a large college? Big class size or small class size? the people are they helpful and kind? and if they offer the proper help even if you dont need it the help that they can give you is allways best to have there for that rainy day and when you need it the most. not all colleges are the same take your time in researching each college and apply to a few more than five so your window of oppertunity can stay open.

Kayla

In order to select the best college for someone one must consider which size would be most beneficial for themselves. If it is hard for someone to focus a smaller school would most likely eliminate many distractions. If one likes to go out and meet new people a bigger school would be better. Another consideration is the price. You cannot attend a school that you cannot afford. One other important thing to consider is if you are undecided with your major or may be thinking of changing it you should go to a school with a variety of majors so you have flexability.

Ash

Really check into career rates and what students have gotten into after college ends. Really look into each major, such as required internships, how much potential money will be spent in each major, etc.

Louise

finding the right college for you (or your child) isnt goign to happen over night. i think that you need to take some tiem and check out all your options, and not just a few. there are books that define majors and list colleges that have that specific major. i woudl suggest to anyopen to look at one of these books, it helps alot. Usually highschools give the graduating student a web site to go on that will help them find a major or atleast give them posibilities, and then help you find schools. my school used Access Bridges, and ti was amazing at showign me the information that i needed to know. just remember dont set yourself on a school when you havent visited it or checked out other schools. i personally said no to the school i am curently attendign and said there s no way im goign to that shcool, but here i am. so take it from me, take your time, and make sure you know what a school offers. usually you can use essays for more than one school, so look around :) good luck