Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colgate University

Alex

Small enough to know a lot of people, big enough to not see everyone you know on a daily basis; everyone from my hometown thought I was going to a dentistry school and asked me if I also applied to Crest and Aquafresh; I spend most of my time in the library or in my room studying 24/7; complete college town; administration is way too traditional; biggest controversy was the gun threat that happened during March, yet the kid still attends the school; fair amount of school pride; best experience is freshman night at the Jug

Racial issues, financial differences issues; poor or even middle class students would feel out of place here if they didn't own anything by D&G

Professors know me by name, except for psych class; students study hard as well as play hard when it comes to partying; most classes there is a grade for how often you come to class; chemistry is very difficult.

PARTY PARTY PARTY. Biggest hook up school; the administration even had to create a group on campus to "bring back the date"

Most come from extremely wealthy families and the campus is basically a walking J. Crew magazine. Be prepared to look your best every single day of the week (including Sundays), and there is an unwritten rule about everyone not being able to wear sweatpants to class. Girls always own a pair of Ugg Boots, Vera Bradley purses. Prep to the max.

Cody

What they say about the "Colgate bubble" is true. We're in a very isolated and rural area, 45 minutes from Syracuse and Utica. Great for fostering college community, but unless you try especially hard, you won't meet many people off campus.

Yes, you'll come across these people in their typical Nantucket wear, pulling all-nighters downtown one night and at the library the next, but there are really people from all walks here - art students, World of Warcraft addicts, the future politicians of America, wilderness loving Outdoor Ed students, and more...

As a music major and economics minor, I've had the opportunity to see both ends of the academic spectrum. The economics department is popular and competitive, turning students out into successful finance careers. However, I've never had the same professor twice and don't know the vast majority of my many economics classmates. However, the music department is more intimate. Everyone knows each other in all the classes, and I've had the same professor for four classes, who then accompanied my senior recital. Whether you're looking for an intimate, close department, or a very large department with a lot of variety, we have majors fitting both categories.

The stereotypical Colgate student is good looking, comes from money, dresses well, works hard, and parties harder.

amy

Yes and no. We are much more laid back then what one would consider 'preppy'. There are some guys who wear pink shirts and sear sucker shorts, but at the same time there are so many other sorts of people. We do tend to work hard play hard, but is that a bad thing? People know when they need to sit in the Library and work, but we are not going to freak out and not have fun on the side. We do tend to drink a lot, but there is also so much other stuff to do! No one pressures anyone to drink. You often find sober people standing next to drunk people at a concert.

We are preppy, mostly from the east coast, work hard play hard

Colleen

One thing many people wonder about is Colgate's relative isolation, and connected with that are queries about its size. Yes, Colgate is in a very small town - Hamilton, NY is only 2800 people, roughly the same size as the school. I come from a big city and often miss much of the conveniences of home, but I actually love living in a small town. You see people you know everywhere, as there are only so many places to frequent. You can greet shopkeepers and salespeople by name, and know all the bartenders well. Not having very many options of things to do really makes you find your own fun, and people don't often leave on the weekends. If you find yourself itching to get out, there are malls and larger movie theaters within 40 miles, and it is always fun to road trip to NYC or Boston on the weekends. As for Colgate's size, I think it is perfect. It is small enough that you see people you know everywhere you go on campus - you can always go to the dining hall alone and find people you know to sit with, or you run into people at the gym, the library, and just walking around. The same goes with professors; I run into professors in the hallways of my buildings all the time, and they are always eager to chat with me about how my life is going. That is also a benefit - my professors actually know my name, my interests, my activities, and my background, since classes are small enough where we can get to know each other. I really like to actually TALK to my professors... they are most often very interesting people with neat lives outside of the classroom. At the same time, Colgate is large enough that you continue to meet new people all the time. I have met fellow seniors this year whose names I had never even heard before. All in all, it is a comfortable place where you never feel alone, yet not small enough to be boring.

Colgate's students, in general, are very high achieving and competitive. While the statistics say that the majority went to public school, I find that the type of public school is often very different from mine. Mine was an inner city, very racially and economically diverse school, whereas many at Colgate went to a public school in a wealthy suburb. I was surprised to find how many students at Colgate really want to go into finance rather than pursue something with their major. I think most students here are quite appearance and public image-oriented, and do hope to make a lot of money someday. I don't think that students are necessarily shallow, but I think that Colgate students sometimes don't involve themselves in causes as much as they should. Community service is big at Colgate, but many don't take advantage of it, and I think there is much potential to be fulfilled there. Students are very smart, however, and idealistic, and goal-oriented. We don't compete with each other, we compete with ourselves.

To an extent, yes. I think much of the student body is comprised of people from well-to-do families, and largely from the East Coast. However, that is a generalization, and there are MANY other types of people at Colgate. I think everyone can find a niche here, and while the preppy kids may be the most numerous or visible, certainly all personality types, socioeconomic backgrounds, interests, political and religious belief systems are represented here.

I love living in a small college community like Colgate because it seems like everything extends beyond the classroom. Obviously, one thing that all students here have in common is that we attend classes at Colgate. I have often introduced myself to people I have classes with in settings other than the classroom, so it is a good conversation starter to talk about class. I often find myself becoming engaged in heated discussions over topics or controversies brought up in classes, or that are subjects in the news. It's funny, just the other day my friends and I were talking about how sometimes we get into very intellectual discussions at odd times, like at the bar at 1 am on Friday night. People here are very smart, and love to debate, and anytime we can, we'll talk about what interests us. I think that classes here are very conducive to fostering our passion for discussing subjects. Most classes are very small - the average is around 19 students per class, though I have had many much smaller courses than this, especially at the upper levels - and discussion based. I have become much more comfortable with speaking in class, as well as giving presentations, while at Colgate. That has really helped me during job interviews. I think the emphasis on student thought during class, as well as other students' interests in discussing issues outside the classroom setting, has really pushed me to explore what I truly believe.

The Colgate environment is extremely safe. I don't think I ever locked the door to my freshman dorm room, and my housemates and I rarely lock our door now, even living off campus. There is next to no crime in the town of Hamilton, nor on the Colgate campus. I have never once been nervous to walk around by myself at night. Seriously, the scariest thing around here is almost being sprayed by a skunk! Along the lines of the area being safe, everyone is very comfortable with each other. There is always something to do, and people are always inviting you to something. Athletics are huge on the Colgate campus - almost a fifth of students are varsity athletes, and almost all the rest are involved in intramural or club sports. Games are fun to go to or participate in yourself. The Greek scene is also really big. I think it's great that we don't go through recruitment until sophomore year. That way, you have a full year here to check out the scene and see if its right for you. You can also make a group of friends before joining a Greek organization, and that way it doesn't dictate to you who your friends are. I have friends in all the Greek organizations, which makes them all cooperate well. Even if you don't join a Greek organization, you can still tangentially participate by going to parties, dances, or helping out their philanthropies. There are tons of clubs to be involved in as well. I think the majority of Colgate students list at least three organizations or activities that they are involved in. We dedicate a lot of time to our schooling, but studying is by far not the only thing we do.

That we are preppy in dress and attitude, generally quite well-off, and very sociable. We are passionate in everything we do - from our schoolwork, to extracurricular and athletic involvement, to how hard we party on the weekends.

Andy

The best thing about Colgate is the community. During orientation and any other event that gathers huge groups of people, presenters will always elaborate on this quality until it is ingrained in everyone's head. When you are a freshman, the school seems huge, but once you become an upperclassman, you realize how small it actually is and how you practically know everyone in your class by name. Professors here know you by name and will embrace anyone who shows a true passion in their studies. Furthermore,they are able to provide personalized attention and excellent recommendations that you wouldn't be able to get at a larger university. Students are generally happy with their decision to go to Colgate. They enjoy their classes and are extremely active in varsity sports, club sports, clubs and groups, volunteering, campus jobs, mentoring, tutoring and other extracurricular activities. There is a decent amount of school pride, although varsity sports teams such as basketball struggle to maintain a fan base. Living in Hamilton, New York for four years can be trying on some due to limited stores, bars, restuarants, activitites and students often feel ready to leave when it is time.

Most students are wealthy, white and straight. There are, however, a multitude of diversity awareness clubs and no one denomination is particularly ostracized. For the most part, the students get along despite differences in socio-economic income, race, religion, major, greek affiliation or sports team. The type of person who would feel out of place at Colgate is someone who is uncomfortable around excessive alcohol, has a weak work ethic, doesn't like snow, doesn't like the feeling of community or honestly doesn't care about their education. The campus is not very politically active. Some students are materialistic big shots who dream and boast about the money they'll make someday whereas others are the genuine good-doers who want to save the world.

For the most part. The campus is basically a bunch of white rich kids from the Northeast who wear expensive clothes they bought with mommy and daddy's money. Fortunately, some people overcome the need to have excessive hubris and return to earth after a few months of school. It doesn't matter what kind of student you are, you will get your ass kicked on a paper or exam eventually. Positions on the Colgate faculty are extremely competitive and most professors radiate an extreme passion in what they study. Colgate students work hard, some harder than others (particularly science majors). An education from Colgate is not a joke and employers know the level of competence this degree ensures. Dating is rare, but everyone hooks-up. The university has bought the frat houses and is trying to demolish the greek system. There are about 3 bars downtown and a pizza place everyone goes to on the weekends which can get monotonous. Fortunately, there are still plenty of parties at the townhouses, upperclassman apartments and frat houses. The town is small, but quaint and there is an adorable farmer's market on Saturday and Sunday mornings where you can run into your professors walking their dogs or selling windchimes. It's not uncommon to be diagnosed as an alcoholic if you're a student here. I think the winters suck, but if you're a person who enjoys winter sports such as skiing, sledding, ice skating etc. and can also put up with -20* windchill then you may like it. The school is on a hill so be prepared to climb anywhere you go around campus.

Professors are very invested in the lives of their students and genuinely encourage success. Classes are generally small and Colgate boasts about its small teacher:student ration. The amount of work you do depends on the type of student you are and what you decide to study. Sociology majors don't study, biochemistry and astrogeophysics majors do. Participation is common and group applications and projects are somewhat common. Students have intellectual conversations outside of class and going out for dinner with a professor or babysitting his kid are not uncommon. The academic requirements provide an amazing foundation for approaching worldly problems even beyond the scope of your particular major. The learning process, intellectual growth and real-world applications are emphasized in every class.

The campus is very safe, although there have been recent robberies in the dorms. There is no dating scene. Students travel up and down the hill by Cruiser buses that make the same routes daily. The school is very big on traditions and there is even a senior honor society devouted to maintaining the "Colgate Mission" or whatever. The greek scene is more important for guys than girls, but you;ll be just fine if that isn't yoru thing. Everybody drinks on the weekends, but you can always see movies, go to sporting events or just tackle the never ending amounts of work you have.

Colgate students generally come from upper middle class suburban homes in the New England area. Most are attractive, athletic and intelligent. The campus is white with minimal diversity. Academic experience can be extremely demanding. The dating scene is practically non-existent and hook-ups are the norm. There are few things to do on the weekends other than drink and go to frat parties. Colgate students work hard but party harder. The winters suck.

Daniel

If you don't think you belong at Colgate, you probably don't. One of the biggest issues the school has been dealing with is diversity (or lack thereof). Of course, the school creates things like an African-American themed dorm, but kids end up living there starting freshman year and never end up mixing with everyone else. The school's administration is really incompetent when it comes to things like that. They have increased the school's endowment by about $200 mil since I've been here (if that matters to anyone). There are two main problems with Colgate: the location and the weather. Colgate is located in central New York, i.e., the middle of nowhere. If you drive a mile in either direction away from Colgate, you're in the cornfields. The closest cities to Colgate are Utica and Syracuse, and those are about 45 minutes-an hour away. One interesting attraction is Turning Stone Casino, which 30 minutes away and allows 18 year olds to play. The town itself is the intersection of Lebanon and Broad. It is very small, but more or less has everything you need. A complaint I hear from other people a lot is the notoriously slow service in all the restaurants, which are operated by townies who very clearly despise Colgate students. The main problem with the town is that the locals consider Colgate students to be walking in on their turf. The town does not cater to the needs of the college, as all restaurants except 1 close early (even on weekends). As for the weather, I believe it truly ruins the school. We have a beautiful campus, but you will never, ever see people lying out on the grass or chilling outside other than the first two weeks in the fall and the last two in the spring. One of the main results of this, I think, is increased emphasis of cliques and little social mixing. Either way, Colgate would be a million times better if there were nice weather for more of the year. The school really undergoes a transformation during the brief time when the sun comes out.

As said above, there is very little diversity, which is very easy to understand. I know that if I were non-white, gay, muslim, etc. I would not come here. You would notice this from attending one class and seeing kids in their seersucker/vineyard vines/brooks brothers attire. Cliques dominate the student body, as most people join a frat or sorority or other organization sophomore year and stop communicating with people outside the group for the most part. In addition, the school is small enough that everyone knows who everyone else is. That doesn't mean they are friends or talk to each other, but it does mean when something happens, everyone on campus knows about it. People tend to know a lot more people they don't know than one would expect. I've heard people refer to the school as Colgate High before.

Despite all of Colgate's shortcomings, I still have a lot of fun here. It's just easy to fall into a routine doing the same stuff over and over if you don't look out. Colgate has a lot of wealthy alumni who typically hook people up with great jobs after graduation. In all, I'd say life at Colgate is pretty good.

Sort of. The majority of students do come from very wealthy families in the northeast. Most students don't work that hard, though. There are some kids as well who come from different backgrounds, but they are definitely in the minority.

Most classes at Colgate are small, and the professors will almost always learn your name. There are some requirements that force you to take classes outside your major, which is good. I feel well-rounded, and everyone finishes those before the end of sophomore year. The "best" part about academics is that you only have to take four classes per semester to graduate, or sometimes three if you have AP credits, summer classes, etc. It's interesting that my friends at state schools are taking five or six per semester, but I'm getting a "better" education than them. The majority of classes I have taken have been no work, then study for the mid term, then no work, then study for the final. I think this reflects on the academic attitudes of Colgate students pretty well. As an econ major, I'd say that Colgate's education (despite actually costing $45K/year) is "cost effective" since you get a degree with a good name for not that much work. As an econ student, I notice people only care about getting good grades in order to secure a good banking job. The good thing is, a lot of people do get those jobs.

Nightlife at Colgate IS the Jug. The Jug is a bar/club that every night at Colgate inevitably ends at. People show up at about midnight and stay until closing at 2:30. After that, the night is over. Frats and bars kick people out after that hour. Due to a convenient lawsuit with local police, the Jug is able to serve 19 year olds who show student ID. However, a recent state police raid on the Jug has shut the bar down and some question when it will return. Inevitably, I believe, it will be back in action in Fall 2008. All other activities at night seem to be pregaming the trip down to the Jug. That isn't to say there's nothing to do; houses, apartments, and frats all over host drinking and beer pong two or more nights per week. People will usually find themselves doing the same (sometimes the exact same) things weekend after weekend.

That Colgate is full of rich, preppy kids from the NY/NJ/Conn. who "work hard and play hard."

I feel that Colgate is just the right size, it's bigger than the average liberal arts school but smaller than a state university. You get to know people very well, but there's always someone to meet. Outside people are impressed with Colgate students--we have a very good reputation. Classes are divided, freshman and sophmores live "up the hill" and the upperclassmen live "down the hill", therefore the younger students spend much more time on campus. We live in a very small town, so it basically revolves around Colgate and the students. Colgate's administration is pretty bad. They try hard to please the students but don't listen to the students wants. The same things have tried to be passed in the past four years, unsuccessfully--especially aspects about the "cruiser" or bus system we have. If you like Colgate as it is when you get here, that's great, because it's not going to change. Colgate has a lot of school pride, not as much as it had, but we are still a big sports school so that has a lot to do with it.

Yes they are correct. Colgate tries to promote itself as diverse, but its really not very diverse. It is a great place to be however. Some students want a lot of diverstiy but diverstiy can come in other ways then geographic location or ethnicity.

Academics at Colgate are the best part about Colgate- by far. The professors are outstanding, classes are small and challenging. Students study here a LOT. It's not an easy school, people really want to get an education. Class participation is a must and there's no such thing as skipping class. People have intellecutual conversations outside of class all the time. Professors invite students to their houses, to babysit their kids, to hang out etc. It's a very warm community. We have a core curriculum that is pretty easy to fulfill.

Colgate students are said to be preppy and mostly from the north-east. There are a lot of athletes, it's a "fit" school, people tend to have money, and the average student is a very hard worker and smart.

The best thing about Colgate is how students and professors interact with one antoher. The size of the school is small enough to feel at home, but large enough to still meet new people each day. When people hear that I attend Colgate University, they are always impressed due to its reputation. While on campus, I spend most of my time in neighboring freshman dorms. Hamilton, NY is truly a college town, as the students make up a large portion of the towns population. The Colgate administration is very proud of the institution as a whole and its students, they truly immerse themselves in the Colgate scene. One of the biggest controversies on campus at the moment is the institution's ownership of the Greek life houses. School spirit is always on high at Colgate. Unusual events frequently occur on campus, as each student is an interesting individual with different ideas. Many students frequently complain about the food here, however, they find themselves frequenting the dining halls very often (not only for the food but for the social atmosphere)

The Colgate campus is rather liberal. Every student can find their niche, depending on how much time they are willing to put into the search. Although there are hints of segregation, students of different backgrounds tend to intermingle quite well.

While some students may fit these stereotypes, they do not account for the entire student body.

Professors at Colgate make it their business to know each of their students names. It is very easy to approach professors with questions or just to have a random conversation with them. The atmosphere at Colgate is very welcoming and no one feels left out.

The social life at Colgate is amazing. Although several events are alcohol oriented, there are other opportunities for students who do not wish to drink. Everyone has the perception that all we do at Colgate is get drunk, when the fact of the matter is that several students opt out of fraternity parties to go into town and watch a movie, or go just about anywhere to hang out with friends.

We are all preppy, rich, and crazy partiers.

John

The 'gate is the best place on Earth!!!

The 'gate is the best place on Earth!!!

The best thing about Colgate is the students who go there.

Great Professors who really care about their students.

If you are looking to party, then coming to Colgate is the right decision!

Colgate University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.