Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colgate University

Morgan

I really love Colgate University. While I'm only a first year, the campus environment is very welcoming. Everyone is nice if you're willing to step out of your world a little bit and engage in the incredibly worldly community that is Colgate. I've never had such passionate professors, or supportive friends, in my life. While the winters are frigid, they're magical. The campus is beautiful. And if you're friendly with the dining hall staff, the food doesn't have to be so bad.

Cindy

Colgate is a very good place to be if you enjoy letting out your ideas and take in others. Small class sizes (usually 28 and less) is a plus in addition to super caring professors who are there to help you succeed. The campus is absolutely beautiful. Campus dorm and food may not be the best.

Maggie

I wish I knew more about the social scene. It's not the kind of school with a culture that emphasizes relationships, but is more oriented towards casual relationships. Alcohol is also very prevalent which is something that I didn't realize before going.

Alexandria

My professor knows my name, where I live and many of my hobbies. My favorite class was academic persuasions because I got to know my professor really well. My least favorite so far is Core China because it is a lot of reading. The women's studies department is so active and has brown bags( free food and lecture) every Tuesday and Thursday. They're riveting.

I don't know about stereotypes but people often assume everyone at Colgate is preppy. I will say that on the surface, it does happen sometimes, but the people who break the mold are so admired and loved. Personality wise, preppy could be the farthest thing from the truth.

Aidan

The one tradition we have is walking of the hill following the Konosioni(honors group) with torches and walking back down our senior year at commencement.

My professors go out of their way to know my name. My favorite class is Creative Non-fiction, which was my Freshmen seminar. I really got to learn interesting things about the art of writing and the leading professor was is passionate about what she teaches. My least favorite is Economics. many of the intro professors make the topic seem dull but it isn't at all. Students study hard and party hard. We learn to have a good balance. Studying is usually done Monday-Friday at night in my group. People study all over campus. There are so many good spots for different types. Most times class participation is required and encouraged. Most people don't mind because they like having their voice heard and contribute. Student's definitely have intellectual conversation outside class coupled with lots of humor. The most unique class I have ever taken is Creative non-fiction because people never expect non-fiction to be creative, but you would be amazed see how much art goes into a memoir. Most advising professors will invite advisees over for dinner with no reluctance. The academic requirements may seem restricting but most kids come in thinking they know what they want until Colgate pushes them outside their comfort zone. At Colgate, you find your calling not just a job. The education is definitely diverse enough to ay that it is geared to learning for the sake of learning. It is up to the individual to decide what path to choose.

Heather

Starting answering Colgate University is an amazing environment with exceptional academics, a beautiful campus, incredible faculty and students, many opportunities for involvement, and overall is a really fun and enjoyable atmosphere. There are a plethora of different classes offered to the students. Any given student could take a wide assortment of classes ranging from a class in neuroscience to one in performance arts . Similarly, students are granted access to a number of resources provided by the campus. Aside from the conventional resources like the library and food services, a student can also experience resources such as the various technology labs, the museum in the Ho Science Center (which even has a dinosaur egg on display), and so much more. The academic and research opportunities are endless. Likewise, there are multitude of opportunities for involvement here at Colgate. For instance, I am involved in the SAT tutoring program, admissions, funding initiatives for the school, and various other philanthropy groups. I even have been able to become certified in Suicide prevention! Aside from the areas I am involved with, there are so many other opportunities, clubs, activities to participate in. Just to name a few there are opportunities with sports at the club and intramural levels. One could also partake in activities such as Student Government, the Colgate Activities Board , or Greek life if he or she were to be interested in event planning and leadership opportunities, in general. There are also chances to get involved with the arts, by either participating in an acapella group, a play, a theater group, taking one of the many art classes offered, the choir, or dance groups. Since Colgate is a smaller school it is very simple to partake and inquire about these various activities. The smaller size is also conducive to students being able to make a greater impact on the institution and are easily able to contact and meet with different members of the administration. Here at Colgate, the students' voices really do matter. Overall, Colgate University is a truly wonderful, intimate, and enjoyable atmosphere that offers it's students so many incredible opportunities. I could not be happier!

The students at Colgate are intellectually curious, hardworking, and overall quite happy. There are people of all backgrounds on campus and students have incredibly diverse interests. There definitely are separate groups of friends, however different types of students interact often. It is easy to make friends based on where you are living, classes, clubs ad activities, and general interests. The students are open and very amicable, for the most part. It is very easy to have an intelligent conversation with someone whether it be about history, molecular biology, or current events and politics. Students are very aware; they are willing to learn and are open to new and different ideas.

There are a lot of popular student groups and activities. Many students are involved in some kind of athletics, whether it be varsity, club, or intramural. Likewise, Greek-life has a fairly large presence on campus. These groups participate in leadership and service activities. It also is a really good chance to familiarize with and expand the amount of your social cohorts. Additionally, there are a lot of students that are active at the COVE (the community service center). The COVE has a lot of different service opportunities. There are chances to tutor, clean-up the earth, work with under-privileged children and adults, to build sites, and to travel the country for service. It is a great resource that I have loved being involved with.

The academics are definitely difficult, but the material is really interesting. I have learned so much at Colgate. Likewise, there are a plethora of different classes offered to the students. Any given student could take a wide assortment of classes ranging from a class in neuroscience to one in performance arts . Similarly, students are granted access to a number of resources provided by the campus. Aside from the conventional resources like the library and food services, a student can also experience resources such as the various technology labs, the museum in the Ho Science Center, and so much more. The academic and research opportunities are endless. I realize what academic major I want to pursue, I know the true definitions of conservatism and liberalism, vastly improved upon my Spanish, and most importantly I have really learned how to write. You are offered so many academic opportunities . You really are able to experience any concentration and learn what you really desire to pursue.

The students at Colgate are intelligent, hardworking, and incredibly involved. Everyone maintains very diverse interests and are involved of a plethora of activities. The students are eager to make change and succeed. Likewise, Colgate students allow for some downtime and enjoy having fun. Overall, Colgate is a very happy and congenial environment.

patrick

I'm the ninth person in my family to come to colgate and I have grown up going to colgate events and always knew it was where I wanted to go, and in my third year I would not change a single thing about my experience here and I regret nothing. best decision of my life. I spend a lot of time at the chapel, which may seem dorky but i have met some pretty interesting people there, and most of them aren't actual jesus freaks and do go out and party 3 nights a week. Biggest controversy recently? that would have been the racist comments posted on the school newspaper website, but the campus came together and had a not completely successful discussion but it was surprising to see how many people came out to show their support to denounce the comments. Hamilton is 100% a college town, the university is deeply invested in the "downtown" and supports many of the businesses there. Students complain about evenly between campus safety (campo) and reslife, the residential life office which is in charge of everyone's housing arrangements. But the best thing about Colgate, is how willing and supportive alumni are for students, alumni usually do support their Alma Mater, but at Colgate if you find someone who also went their they will usually go out of their way to help you with an internship, career advice, maybe a job, and all they usually ask for is a story about your time at Colgate or to tell them what is going on at 'gate. As for size, it is pretty small, but there are just enough people that you can meet someone new everyday, and it is small enough that you don't feel alone, if you don't run into one person on the quad between classes I would be surprised.

The typical Colgate student comes from New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester or long Island. Affluent, preppy, a number of lax bros and frat stars. Also they tend to party a lot and frequent the library. However this is not all of the students Colgate has been trying to bring "diversity" to campus, how well they are doing is a question of debate but more than 3/4ths of students are white.

Courtney

That the social activities mostly revolved around the greek system.

That the social activities mostly revolved around the greek system.

The education I recieved...diverse and well-rounded.

Honestly, these past few years have been frustrating and given the difficulty I’ve had getting a job, I’ve often questioned the value of my bachelor’s degree. Based on my experience, it seems like anyone with an undergrad degree in the sciences inevitably has to pursue an advanced degree to excel in any career path. But my undergrad experience played a pivotal role in the formation of who I am today. Receiving a liberal arts education forced me to explore the world through the eyes of different philosophers and historians while simultaneously doing so as a young scientist. Colgate also gave me the opportunity to explore the world, when I went abroad for my junior year. I hadn’t expected to have as much of a cultural experience as my friends in Europe. Thankfully, I couldn’t have been more wrong. When I went to New Zealand, I lived with students from Germany, Malaysia, Singapore, China and one from the U.S. One night each week, we took turns cooking a signature dish from our native cuisine and we would get to know eachother. What I didn't expect to find was how similar we all actually were.

Isaac

The university helped to disagnose me with depression which has greatly increased my quality of life and for that I am ever grateful.

White kids from the northeast

Nathan

My school had the best student to teacher ratio. also, as a liberal arts school, it does not have solely career-driven major...

My school had the best student to teacher ratio. also, as a liberal arts school, it does not have solely career-driven majors.

I wish I'd understood the CORE requirements before picking first semester classes. it would have made planning ahead much easier.

If I could go back and give advice to my high school self, my key advice would be: don?t stress! My last few semesters in high school leading up to college apps were almost miserable, as I pulled constant all-nighters to get all my work done, and would kick myself every time I received less than an A (which, sadly, was rather often). I had told myself ?Ivy league or bust? and had set extremely high goals. When it came time to turn in forms to my school?s college counselor, I was told I needed to expand my list of schools a little bit, as I only had a handful. So, naturally, the night before they were due, I went online, looked at a couple of random schools I had never heard of, searched for the schools with the nicest pictures and casually added them to my list. Included in said schools was Colgate. As it happened, I would end up going to this Colgate place, a name I had never heard away from the bathroom counter, and loving it. The point is, everything works out for the best because I couldn?t be happier now!

Colgate University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.