Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colgate University

Halley

Colgate's campus is incredibly beautiful. The views from my dorm room window are priceless. Everyday I am awed by the campus's beauty and the spectacular views that surround it.

I would tell myself to not be afraid to try everything. As a freshman in high school, I was really intimidated to try new things and join new clubs. It wasn't until my junior year when I realy started to appreciate everything my high school had to offer and take full advantage of the many extracurriculars at school. Upon graduating, my only regret was that I had not joined the many clubs of which I was then a member sooner. I thoroughly enjoyed being a member of many different activities and I learned a lot. I met so many great friends in the end of my high school career and it would have been nice to have gotten to know them in the beginning of high school rather than at the end.

The best thing about Colgate University is its small size. The class sizes are small which allows great group discussions and easy access to professors. I also love being able to go just about anywhere and I will always see someone I know or with whom I am familiar. It makes me feel comfortable and safe on campus and welcomed.

Colin

The majority of Colgate students are from rich families in the Northeast who like their designer clothes but are willing to accept other kinds of people.

Meet every person that you can, whether they are upperclassmen, underclassmen, professors, bus drivers, custodians, and espescially the lunch ladies. Don't get discouraged about your grades or your social life because there are always people around you in the same situation; you just have to find them and befriend them. Always keep exploring every inch of your school. Don't go into school with your hands in your pockets and your blinders on because you've got to shake a lot of hands and go on lots of adventures and soak every second of it in. Don't worry about what other people think about you. Do what you want to do because people will respect you for that and there are surely other students similar to you. You may have been towards the top of your class in high school, but so were all of your other classmates at your college/university, so don't freak out about other kids who are smarter than you. You've got to be flexible and roll with the punches in college and when you feel like you are at the end of your rope, just tie a knot and hold on.

I wish I had know how much the social life evolved around drinking. I wish I had known that the economy was going to crash during my sophmore year, then I would have probably selected a less expensive school. Overall, I am very happy and feel that I figured things out and came out on top.

Grace

If I could have given myself any advice before I went to college, it would have been to believe in myself and to take chances. There was a reason they chose to accept me into Colgate University; they thought I fit. That being said, if they believe in me, why shouldn't I believe in myself? I would tell myself that it is actually nice to be on your own and have to make your own decisions. Yes, it is scary at first, but whether something good or bad comes from a decision you make, the result feels much more satisfying when you make the choice for yourself. I would say, "Grace, you have a head on your shoulders, or else you wouldn't be here. Keep your chin up and never let fear hold you back from what you believe in. Trust in yourself because you are all you will have during the difficult transition."

I consider the classes and the professors who teach them are the best things about my school. Not only are the classes challenging enough that when you get a good grade you feel accomplished; the teachers are always willing to help when you need it. The French course I took first semester was one of the hardest I have ever taken, yet my teacher was always willing to make the time to explain something or go over a paper and the course was always difficult enough to stimulate my brain without causing me to lose hope or question my abilities.

The most frustrating thing about Colgate University is the location. Because this is a school in a small town, there is not only very little to do during your free time, but you have to have many necessary things sent to you from stores (unless of course you would like to drive 45 minutes to the nearest mall). Also, the location makes the campus very small by necessity. This is normally fine, but during finals week it can be difficult to find a place to study.

First off, I would tell myself to chill out and cheer up. I had a horrible senior year fraught with stress-induced anorexia, my grandmother's death, and depressed and suicidal friends. I thought that I would never get over it, so I started my freshman year still brooding, stressed, and angry; I missed out on a lot of opportunities. However, with the new start and friends, I was eventually able to begin the healing process. I would tell myself that I will become happier and that the still raw scars from senior year will fade. I would tell myself to get going, do something, try new things because that is the way to healing, not sulking in my dorm room and replaying all the bad times. Secondly, I would tell myself the three rules that always need to be followed: never fall behind, be responsible, and don't forget to relax. If I knew these rules beforehand, I would have learned more quickly how to manage my time as well as not stress myself out to the point when I couldn't even focus. Lastly, to have fun and be outrageous - to finally not be afraid to be me.

Meghan

Mostly, I am proud of the reputation of Colgate University. I love telling my friends that after all of my hard work in school I was accepted into a competitive college. In spite of this top-notch reputation, however, Colgate has a vibrant and flourishing social scene. I am at a place where the students balance challenging academics with a fun and full social life. Unlike many of my friends at other schools, I am thoroughly happy with all aspects of my university and love to share with my friends my experiences.

Before coming to this school, I wish that I had known how truly valuable the professor-student relations are. The professors are highly accessible, without having to go through TAs or other assistants first. Even more valuable are the connections the professors provide for their students. They are truly willing to connect you to other people for further job or educational opportunities. It should be readily encouraged for students to get to know their professors and ensure those connections.

Honestly, I was not personally very nervous to go to college. I felt like I was at a stable point in my life and mature enough to move onto the next part of my life. Once I got to school, however, orientation weekend was extremely overwhelming. I felt nervous all the time. I did not know how to act around all these new people and I could not remember anybody's name, which only added to the stress. Despite the uncomfortable weekend, I grew to love my orientation group and consider some of those people my best friends at school. It is important to embrace all of your experiences at school, even those initial ones that make you feel nervous and out of place. Perserverance is one of the most important traits to hold onto when you start college. Although you will be put into situations that might make you want to back out of your decision to go to school away from home, you must perservere. You will never be able to further mature if you are quick to give up. By staying involved in campus activities, you will soon feel comfortable and love the college experience.

Rebecca

Be prepared to depend on yourself a lot more, and be prepared to deal with beaurocratic annoyances a lot. Try to look at what majors you might be interested in and seriously consider that when choosing colleges. Spend a night at colleges that have that option so you can get a good feel for the atmosphere of a campus.

Sometimes the administration is dificult to deal with, particularly in regards to housing. Also, the tuition is high considering the amount of hassle given in things like meal plans.

We have good sports teams, a beautiful campus and our graduates have an average post-grad starting income higher than almost any other school.

Dylan

Preppy and rich white kids

Preppy and rich white kids

A preppy rich white kid who can put up with everyone and their crap

I would tell myself to get as involved as possible. The only reason I have the friends I do is because I wholly invested myself in the campus radio as soon as school started, However, I should have initially been friendlier to people instead of writing them off as people I didn't think I'd get along with. I spent too much time searching for the perfect friends instead of making friends with the people that there were. To try to correct that, I pledged a sorority and am now becoming friends with girls I don't necessarily have anything in common with. The important thing is to keep an open mind, especially at such a small school.

Audrey

I would tell myself to not think about my boyfriend's college choice or let that affect me. Instead, think about what kind of school you want go to...what type of people do you want to live with, what type of classes do you want to take, how much are you willing to pay. I would tell myself also to stay closer to home... there are many advantaged to being able to go home for breaks and vacations.

Anyone very liberal, who doesn't like drinking, and doesn't want to go to fraternities. Also you shouldn't go here if you hate snow.

Chloe

Colgate is better known in professional circles - doctors, lawyers, etc. It's known for its beautiful campus and good academics.

The worst thing about Colgate is its focus on Greek life. Fraternities rule the social scene. And unfortunately, fraternies in real life are very similar to their TV and movie representation. Lots of alcohol.

I would recommend that students visit as many colleges as possible. While brochures are informative, nothing gives as much information to a prospective student than visiting the campus and experiencing its people and atmosphere. One may find that he isn't interested in a school he liked from a pamphlet, or that he really likes one that he wasn't sure about. Making the most of the college experience is different for everyone. However, the main purpose of college is to get an education. While partying is fun, it won't be fun to fail a class or flunk an essay because of too much drinking. Of course go out, but don't overdo it. Have fun through venues other than parties as well - join clubs or sports. Having balance between your social and academic lives will make the college experience less stressful and more enjoyable.

Catherine
Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Graduating seniors share their best and worst moments at Colgate and offer some key advice for incoming freshmen.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Tell us about your professors.

Patrick Riley, an Associate Professor of French at Colgate University, discusses his "absurdist" teaching style, a hilarious wardrobe malfunction during class, and his love for the French literature and the students he works with on a daily basis at Colgate.

A daredevil break-in to one of the creepiest buildings on campus, the myths surrounding a nearby "incestuous" town and Colgate's strange obsession with the number 13...

Students discuss their favorite, and not-so-favorite, aspects of 'Gate. Hitting on younger girls at the jug, the Colgate cruiser system, and the joke that is our "Campus Safety Report" all came out on top. Parking, ketchup dispensers and one poor roommate, unfortunately, did not.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Colgate students vent about some hot issues on campus, including the recent muggings on our traditionally safe campus, the terrible one-night closing of the JUG (students are still recovering) and the small-school gossip effect.

Describe the dorms.

A tour of the best and worst dorms at 'Gate, including lavish freshman living, the townhouse complex, and a dorm where punching holes in the walls seems to be Colgate's newest tradition.

Colgate students have found some pretty creative ways to manage money during the recession, including "bartering" for drinks, mooching off of visiting speaker lunches, and paying a visit to grandma's condo in Florida for spring break.

A senior tries his hand at the chubby bunny challenge, with raucous background support from some crazy Colgate kids.

What's the dating scene like?

Just a few of Colgate students' favorite hot-spots for hook-ups.

What's the dating scene like?

Colgate students spill about hooking up, intra-dorm romances, and Valentine's Days gone wrong.

Two students give you a quirky, personalized tour of Colgate that leaves official admissions information in the dust!

Our first stop along the tour is Willow Path; legend has it that an innocent embrace here could lead to a lifelong commitment down the road.

Heather, senior and mail center pro, shares how it really feels to be behind the wheel of a Colgate University mail van.

Huntington Gym has something for everyone. Squash, racquetball, basketball and volleyball courts combine with the fitness center, pool and climbing wall for the total workout experience.

The Coop, Colgate's student center, now features the newly renovated computer lab, fully equipped with free printers and tech-savvy students on hand to ease any paper-jam woes.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Kate, a junior, shares why the Colgate's brand-new, five-story facility is a studier's dream come true.

In need of a pre-class power nap? Look no further than the coop TV room, featuring velvety red couches that you can move around for your own personalized nap experience.

This new Mexican restaurant and tapas bar is a much welcomed addition to the downtown scene and a great option for Colgate couples.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

This downtown coffee shop boasts delicious coffee and a comfortable atmosphere for meeting friends or doing work.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Serving up classic favorites until 2:00 AM, the Coop Grill is Colgate students' go-to for late night dining.

Elise talks about the time-honored traditions surrounding Colgate's favorite face-off.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

These rugged Colgate kids are wilderness adventurers, trained first-responders, and even back-country gourmet chefs.

Football, bonfires, alumni and tailgates galore: everything you need to know about Colgate Homecoming Weekend.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Jessi's favorite athletic event on campus? The anticipated yearly face-off between Colgate and Cornell.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Women's Volleyball games are the preferred athletic venue of choice for Jamie, a junior at Colgate University.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Erin, senior co-captain of Colgate Women's Tennis, details her impressions of the role of athletics on campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

A senior forward on the Colgate Men's Ice Hockey Team discusses the realities of life as a student-athlete at Colgate.

Colgate University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.