Hamilton, NY
Colgate University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colgate University

Brooke

Colgate is just right in almost every sense. It is a liberal arts college but a university at the same time, making it one of the largest liberal arts colleges and one of the smallest universities. The intro classes tend to be on the larger side (anywhere from 40 to 150 students) but upper level classes are usually no bigger than 30 (as small as 6). Additionally, some classes are discussion based and others are lectures. You can therefore choose classes based on the size you want and the type of learning that best suits you. Hamilton is the picturesque college town, with everything catering to the wants and needs of the student body. There is at least 1 of everything in what we refer to as "downtown." But the seemingly isolated area of central New York adds to the closeness of the Colgate community.

Everyone at Colgate wants to be here. The sense of community and pride in the school is infectious as soon as you step foot onto the campus. Additionally, students take pride in their appearance and tend to put themselves together for class. Jeans, an oxford button down or sweater usually does the trick. Rainbows are worn from from the time the temperatures climbs to 30 degrees! At the same time, people always sport their Colgate gear whether it is just walking around campus to going to the gym or a sporting event.

Colgate definitely has the "work hard, play hard" mentality. Academics are a priority for most and students work hard in the classroom as well as outside of it. Classrooms are full of bright curious students and naturally we challenge one another. The harder we work in the classroom, the more fun we allow ourselves to have at night/on the weekends. The two aspects of life balance one another and make the whole experience worth while.

See above. One of my main concerns when applying to college was that I did not want to feel lost in the classroom. I didn't want to be a number but a face with a name. Professors constantly make themselves available, offering office hours outside the classroom a minimum of 2 times a week. They really encourage you to get to know them and to seek them out for extra help. I know first hand that taking advantage of their availability can truly make a difference in your grade and your relationship with them. I have gotten to know a number of my Sociology professors and when choosing a class, Ifind myself factoring in my relationship with a specific professor.

The ice hockey team and lacrosse team are very good and draw a big fan base. We aren't known for football but considering our size, tailgates draw in a massive crowd. People tend to go out 3 times a week on average (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday). Fraternity life is really big as is the COVE, the outreach volunteer center. The COVE is the place to go when it comes time to narrow down which volunteer organizations you want to join. Students do leave their dorm rooms open. Acapella groups and Dancefest, the dance event held each semester draw massive, massive groups to see both the talented singer and dancers that live among us but also to cheer on friends, roommates and classmates. Colgate is the perfect size when it comes to meeting people. It may take a while to find your niche but Colgate is self-contained making it very easy to meet people, and see known and unknown faces throughout your 4 years.

That Colgate has a "work hard, play hard" mentality. Colgate students are stereotyped as being relatively homogeneous.

Shannon

Although it may appear that Colgate is too small, with a student body of 2800 students, the size is just right. Professors are accessible, many taking students out to class dinners at the Colgate Inn or Merrill House. Colgate is located in the adorable village/town of Hamilton, NY. Yes, the nearest mall is 45 to 60 minutes away, but this allows for great stuff to go on right ON CAMPUS. Students take the "Colgate Cruiser" downtown to go out to eat, study at the barge, go out at night, grocery shopping.

An extremely involved group of people. Because students needed to be really involved in high school in order to be accepted into Colgate, they continue to volunteer, play sports, take leadership positions and get involved on campus.

Although there are many students that fit this stereotype, there is still diversity at Colgate. Because of its small size, some students may feel that there is not enough diversity.

We have a great new library with 5 floors and a starbucks cafe. Professors are always accessible at office hours and CORE professors usually take their class out to dinner once a semester. It is not uncommon for a professor to extend opportunities for extra credit. However, you will have to work to get that A or B+. Alumni connections are spectacular for finding an internship or job after graduation.

There are fraternities and sororities at Colgate, but students are not allowed to pledge until their sophomore year. This allows students to make friends their freshman year before joining a greek organization. There have been great guest speakers this year including Ben Stein and the Dalai Lama. It is typical for a Colgate student to go out three nights a week and still maintain a great GPA. The campus feels extremely safe, and it's normal for students to wave, smile and say hello across the quad between classes.

White, Preppy, Waspy kids from private and prep high schools

Meghan

When people start the college search a lot of people are concerned with going to a large school. I always saw myself at a large school but Colgate is not even three thousand students which may seem small in comparison to large state universities but if you're worried about seeing too many familiar faces, don't be. Every day I see a new face and when you're out at night its always nice to go out and always have someone there that you know. That brings me to the students. School Pride is overwhelming at Colgate. I remember one day as a parent commented on how many Colgate sweatshirts were worn around campus. I would attribute this pride to both the location, range of students and the university's goal to create campus wide involvement and pride.

For me, high school was everything that I could've asked for. I had best friends who were there for me, I played sports and got good grades. Coming to Colgate where I knew no one and knew nothing was a daunting feeling but the people there are the reason that Colgate is so special. I know that it sounds cliche but now I can't imagine my life without these people in it. It's true that when you live with these people, they become your family, your support system and they are the reason why Colgate has been such a positive experience for me.

I think its safe to safe that Colgate is not located in a bustling metropolis but the location is its appeal. Hamilton is a quaint peaceful town in central New York that caters to the needs of Colgate. The university provides plenty activities to keep students active and students of all classes are allowed to have cars on campus so with syracuse and binghamton only an hour away, Colgate doesn't feel so removed. It is further this location that fosters the pride amongst students and professors to call themselves a RAIDER!

I have only been lucky enough to experience two semesters at Colgate but my experiences have been outstanding. There is the believed misconception that college professors don't care and are out to get you but this is not the case. The professors I've had are more than friendly and willing to help.

Having the Dalai Lama was a guest speaker speaks to the prestige of the university. You can always find something to do at Colgate whether it be partying or school sponsored events. If your worried about being bored don't be.

There are many assumptions about Colgate and I think we all hear them more often then not. For one it is always assumed that there's nothing to do at Colgate. It is also assumed that all Colgate students are stuck up and rich and are Dartmouth rejects.

allison

I really enjoy the small, intimate classroom sizes. The campus is also very beautiful. I would change some of the ResLife policies. I think some of them are a little absurd such as charging a fee for "inappropriate check in and check out." I'd also change their policies about parking up the hill between 7am and 3pm or atleast work on the Cruiser schedules and efficiency. I think Colgate is, overall, just right in size. My freshman year I attended the University of Wisconsin which has a student body of about 44, 000. That environment was too overwhelming for me, so I am really pleased about the smaller atmosphere at Colgate. However, at times, it can definitely feel a little too small which is only emphasized by the size of Hamilton. People generally sound impressed when I say I go to Colgate. It obviously has quite an outstanding reputation and that is reflected by the comments I receive. Hamilton is in the middle of nowhere. It's a cute and quaint town, but it gets a little tiring going to the same places over and over again. I'm pretty pleased with Colgate's administration. Biggest recent controversy was over the scandal with the college gossip website in which a student made a threatening remark that caused the school to go into a tizzy. I'm actually not that impressed with our student body pride. At sporting events, it seems that not that many students end up attending or there just isn't a lot of cheering and enthusiasm.

Many Colgate students are from the east coast, predominantly New Jersey or New York. A lot of the students come from money. It doesn't really seem like that many Colgate students are politically aware and there really isn't any sort of political activism. It's also harder to show that though I think because we're in such a small town. At Wisconsin it was more prevalent and apparent, but perhaps that was because it was in an urban setting and the student body is much larger so there is a greater chance of some sort of political activism. I think it's easy to turn a blind eye and say that I haven't experienced or really witnessed any racial, religious, LGBT, or socio-economic prejudices or discrimination, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There have definitely been instances where I've heard negative remarks regarding these issues but I guess they dont really stick out in my mind. Maybe because I choose to ignore them too...

Both yes and no. While there are a number of students that appear as though they've walked out of a JCrew catalogue, you still find a number of students who do not follow this trend. You can definitely tell that many of the students at Colgate come from wealthy families. While Colgate strives to promote diversity with their strong efforts toward gaining International students, the campus remains predominantly Caucasian.

Yes. Professors know my name. The classes are small enough so professors can learn your name and the campus itself is small enough that you'll run into old professors all the time. My favorite class was my archaeology class and art history class that I took while abroad in Venice through the Colgate program. I really disliked me Econ class. So boring! Yes, there is class participation. Yes, students have intellectual conversations outside of class. And yes, students are competitive. My sculpture class was pretty unique and I really enjoyed it. I really enjoy my major, the department and the professors. My only complaint is that Colgate seems more geared toward helping students in the direction of economics, finance, consulting, etc. Career Services doesn't have a lot to offer art history majors.

Frats and sororities definitely seem to play a big part in the social atmosphere. As small as the school is, it seems like many students want to rush and join. When I lived in a dorm we usually locked our door. There are different cultural and ethnic events held throughout the year. There are concerts and dance fest twice a year, once in the fall and again in the spring. The Dalai Lama came to speak this past spring semester and there was definitely a lot of reception with that. However, it still seems to take a lot to get students to come to different events sponsored and held by the university. I'd say there's a pretty big party scene at Colgate. While the students are smart and work hard, they also know how to party hard.

That they are all preppy, rich, and white.

Scott

Colgate is a fun place despite what people say about how it is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. There is always something fun to do whether it is drinking or other. The only problem is that the administration hates fun and wants to get rid of fraternities.

Colgate's student body is surprisingly diverse although you will not necessarily interact with everyone. Students interact and are all friendly but there is not pressure or tension between any groups.

Everybody who goes to colgate likes colgate

Some students fit these stereotypes, many don't

Colgate academics are hard but professors are generally very helpful. While many students spend a lot of time preparing for class and reading etc. you can get by without being a complete nerd. Classes in Political Science and Geography are fun and the professors are generally very accessible.

There are plenty of ways to get involved but for a guy fraternities are pretty fun. As long as you find a group of people that you enjoy spending time with you will have plenty to do. While drinking and that scene is the most prevalent extracurricular activity there is plenty to do.

smart, nerdy, preppy, homogeneous

Wil

Colgate is a small community of leaders and innovators. The best thing about Colgate is the passion that everyone has for the place and making it better. Colgate is undoubtedly a college town with a majority of the downtown establishments being connected to the university. The administration is receptive and friendly and willing to work with students.

Students body is a mixed bag. I believe you will meet every type of person in the world at Colgate and it prepares you for the real world. You learn how to navigate different groups of people and different opinions. Its a particularly affluent community of students, but its a very open community.

Colgate is a great place and the best decision I ever made was to attend the university.

A large number of the students are completely aloof to things that occur in the real world and a number of them have a undeserved sense of entitlement, but Colgate's commitment to diversity tends to expose some of those students to reality.

Colgate academics are the best. Students and faculty are often on a first name basis. Academics spread outside of the classroom into various different activities and interests around the university. The faculty challenges the students to be the best at their field of study, as many of them are renowned scholars in their fields. Class participation is key for students, as a large part of learning (not to mention grading) is based on the participation of the students.

There are numerous students groups on campus and if one isnt available for the student to participate, they can start their own. Drinking is readily available for those who wish to partake, however, there are alternatives which are available for those who do not want to drink.

Some stereotypes about Colgate and Colgate students are that we are out of the loop of major events and stuck in the "Colgate Bubble". There is also the perception that the students are pretentious and entitled.

Jack

Colgate is amazing. It is a glorified country club where we earn an "education". We call it the Colgate bubble because that's what it is and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's the perfect size in the sense that whereever you are you always know someone, yet you never stop meeting new people. The best things about Colgate are the parties, THE JUG, the professors, the small campus (everything is within walking distance), and the natural beauty of the school. The worst part is the administration which is generally uptight and trying to ruin the school's party reputation. They should let it be. The reason kids come to Colgate in the first place is because they are looking for the perfect balance between work and play. We are a school with a great academic reputation as well as a school that likes to "get down" as the kids say. The most recent controversy was when some kid said on Juicycampus.com that he could shoot up the school and everyone went apeshit. There is school pride (but no athletic pride really with the exception of hockey) and the most common student complaint is the bitter cold during the winter months.

As I wrote before, the Colgate student body is generally rich, white, and from the East Coast. The few minority students on campus are generally isolated in the Harlem Renaissance Center by choice. In my opinion both sides need to make more of an effort in order to come together both in and out of the classroom. Most students are preppy, and politically students range all over the spectrum yet no one is really politically active. A typical dining hall scenario would see lacrosse players at one table with their "laxtitutes", a table of African-American students, several tables each hosting distinct fraternities/sororites, and a table of "geeks". While they may all seem different, all groups interact to some extent given Colgate's small size and the tendency of just about everyone to party on the weekends.

Colgate is fucking freezing yet beautiful, and the town of Hamilon wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Colgate. As I sip filtered water out of my Nalgene in Jersey and wipe my white ass with a Benjamin I realize that I have become a caricature of myself.

It seems that about half of the students at Colgate are economics majors (including myself) and this is a great department. However, you can't really go wrong with any major within Colgate's liberal arts education. The requirements are all interesting, and they include a class entitled "The Challenge of Modernity" which was simply remarkable. Furthermore Colgate mandates that students take a wide array of courses across all departments and which creates well read, interesting students with a wide array of knowledge. The professors are awesome for the most part, and it never ceases to amaze me how a professor teaching a lecture of 75 students can manage to memorize each and every students' name. However, lectures of 75 are generally rare and most classes a comprised of about 15 students in which class participation is highly encouraged. This creates for lively, stimulating class discussions.

At Colgate, students are socially greek, play a sport, are black, or host their own house parties. Just about everyone gets wasted on the weekends, and Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday are also popular nights to go out. Spring Party Weekend and Alumni Weekend are always shitshows. As far as sports go, people care more about tailgating football than football but hockey games are always rowdy and fun. Personally I met my closest friends within my fraternity (I know I'm such a meathead) Theta Chi and I have memories there that I wouldn't trade for anything save living Hugh Hefner's life (before his Viagra days). Everyone at Colgate hooks up, and most hook up a lot. Its always funny walking down Broad Street and 8-9am Saturday morning in last nights outfit and exchanging knowing glances with those who walk by you. Oh and a Saturday night without drinking isn't a Saturday night at all. My typical Friday night would include pregaming at a townhouse, partying at my frat, heading downtown to the bars, and then going home with someone or settling for a piece of pizza at "Slices".

Colgate: Middle of nowhere, picturesque, cold Colgate students: Preppy, rich, white, from NJ CT or NY, wear Northface and J.Crew, own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, drink water out of a Nalgene

Torry

In my opinion, Colgate provides the perfect college experience. Academically, it's top notch. Most students make personal relationships with almost all of their professors. Professors are always more than willing to reach out to students, have lunch with them, help them, answer last minute questions on their home number at 3 a.m. etc. There is always research being conducted as with most larger institutions and Colgate is very accommodating to students whose interests are not met on campus. Colgate even got all students to see the Dalai Llama on campus this spring! In light of arts and athletics, Colgate is also hard to beat. Colgate athletics are a large part of the community, I think, as everyone knows some athletes personally and that sporting events draw in a large pool of the community (or at least the tail gates do...). With several patriot league championships earned this year alone, how could Colgate students not feel a sense of pride when supporting their school. As for the arts, Colgate has wonderful programs. I love having classes in Ryan and Dana so I can admire all the beautful work on the way to class. Colgate's always bringing in great performances for the students, like everything from world class piano players and jazz groups to African Art troupes to modern photography exhibits. Most schools have amazing opportunities like that for their students, but I feel that at Colgate, everything is more personalized for the students and hits closer to home as it is a smaller institution. As for the social scene, my Colgate experience has far exceeded what any College Prowler told me it would be. Although it's a small school, I am constantly meeting new people. As a freshman, there is not a lot to do if you don't like to party, which I think is Colgate's biggest problem. However, Colgate's location is beautiful and I always make my family just drive around the surrounding area when they come because it is so beautiful. Hamilton is also home to Big Norm: the world's largest pig! Norm is quite the attraction and you can ride him for $1 although on most days he doesn't move. Greek life is a large part of the Colgate scene, but it's very different than most other schools. Colgate students do not rush until the fall of their sophmore year which gives time for students to make their own friends for a year first and really get to know people in all different kinds of groups before commiting to one. Also, Greek life isn't as serious as it is at larger institutions. For the most part, everyone gets along and Beta guys will hang out with Sigma guys with no animosity. Everyone just likes to party together. The sorority scene is nothing terrible either. Each sorority takes large pledge classes and are really nice and accepting you most always get bids to which ever you want. Overall, the greek life is just a way to get to know people without being on a sports team and provides great parties! Other than the Greek scene, Colgate students for the most part get along. I meet new people all the time and most of campus can be seen intermingling on a Saturday night in the Old Stone Jug or eating Slices (the famous one slice New York Pizzeria). Colgate provides the perfect blend of the academia of an Ivy League, the school spirit and athletics of a Big 10, the small feel of a rural, safe small town school, and the party scene of animal house.

Colgate students work hard and play hard. There is no doubt that the student body is serious about academics, but also no doubt that Colgate has a great party scene. I thought I would get bored and sick of such a small school, but the truth is any large school will seem small to you after living there for four years. Colgate students are never bored and are very creative when it comes to play time! The local bars are great especially if you become friends with the people who work in them. My only complaint about Colgate, or the one thing I would change if I could rather, would be the dining services (b/c you WILL gain the freshman 15 eating the dining hall food) and I would put an ice machine in every dorm.

For the most part, the Colgate student body is not very diverse and is saturated with children who come from middle and upper class families. However, I have never found anyone on campus to be snotty or obnoxious about their money and for the most part the issue about money only really comes into play when you're talking about whose going to buy the next round of drinks.

Colgate has great academics. Being a Liberal Arts school there are four classes that every Colgate student must take before completing their sophomore year which I feel not only unifies the student body (as everyone can relate when they walk through the library seeing someone reading The Odyssey or the Bible), but also builds a strong base for students to then decide what they really want to pursue. Additionally, many of those classes are based a lot on class participation which is great experience for students who are often too shy to speak up in class and also encourages that you actually go to class. I feel that Colgate has fantastic academics. What makes them so great is that I am being constantly challenged, but also always supported as I know all of my professors well (as they know me too) and the university always provides tons of tutoring and opportunities to work with others. After my first semester of freshman year, I felt that I had learned more in one semester than I did in the past two years of private schooling. Colgate focuses on learning for the sake of learning. The university prides itself on its liberal arts and believes that it is a good institution and it has done its job if by the end of your four years, there are numerous academic areas that interest you and numerous possibilities for you to continue to pursue.

Stereotypes about Colgate students always include that we are rich, snotty, over-privileged party animals. Stereotypes about Colgate itself almost always involve the lack of diversity of the student body.

Charlie

Colgate is an interesting school. Sure, it's interesting that we share the name of a popular brand of toothpaste, but by that statement I'm referring to the fact that in the span of one week, you can hear a lecture on happiness by the Dalai Lama himself and live out that lesson by attending an OkGo concert during Spring Party Weekend. Obviously, Colgate University is multi-faceted. There is a heavy emphasis on scholarship, of course, but we are not just about the serious stuff in life. We can laugh at the silly dentist school jokes our family members crack, but we're also capable of coming up with witty retorts. We use the multi-million dollar Ho Science Center for labs and a quiet space to study, but its planetarium also comes in handy for watching the Magic School Bus. We're a veritable oxymoron: tanned students in the middle of a Central New York winter, a small school with a big-campus attitude. Without it, we'd probably just be Colgate "College".

Colgate's geographical location guarantees that it is as out of place as a balloon at a cactus farm. It is a liberal island in a sea of vehement conservatism. A beacon of wealth and intellectuality that, like the golden dome of the chapel, stands out dramatically from the primarily low-income and minimally educated populace the surrounds the campus. Whereas most of the student body comes from suburbia or big cities like New York, Colgate is plopped in the midst of rural America, ensuring that couture clothing doesn't come in shopping bags, but cardboard boxes. Despite these discrepancies, Colgate students are actively involved in the community. We spread our various experiences and share our valuable knowledge with those who may not have ever left the state or finished education, and we use our youth and talents to make a difference for those less capable than ourselves at physical labor or the equally arduous task of promoting change. Colgate students may be different, from each other and our environment, but that just means that as a student body, we are all the more capable of making a difference.

To a point, yes. It is true that a large percentage of Colgate students are quite financially well-off, and thus can afford expensive clothing and year-long tans. A vast majority of students also strive to maintain or improve their appearances, making regular visits to the gym and the salad bar at Frank. Perhaps this is due to the perceived pressure to be perfect. Maybe Colgate just attracts students that are unusually self-aware. Whatever it is, there certainly is no rule that you must fit the stereotype. Average-ness abounds, and yes, Colgate even has its fair share of homeliness, too. Besides that, partying is indeed an integral part of campus life. Being so far from big-city entertainment, students must find ways to entertain themselves. It is no surprise then, that the combination of alcohol and attractive people practically screams liberal loving, making the sight of a hand-holding couple almost as rare as spotting a squirrel is not! However, it is possible, and it does happen. Love and ugliness do exist at Colgate!

It was the first semester of freshman year. Considering Colgate's science distribution requirement and my mediocre talents in that realm, I had selected a class that I thought would be interesting, but that wasn't Chem or Bio or anything like that. Technically, it was Neuroscience, but I didn't really pay much heed to that, focusing instead on the fact that it was an intriguingly titled intro class. Turns out, I found myself in what is considered one of the most challenging courses that Colgate offers. Needless to say, I had a rude introduction to college academia. I struggled through the class, which met 4 days a week and required piles of reading and hours of intense, structured studying. However, even though it was a lecture class with more than 50 students, my professor was personally in-touch with my floundering. He consoled me when I came out of the first test. And the second... and the third. He arranged for me to be personally tutored. He knew my name although I never raised my hand in class. When it came time for me to decide whether I would withdraw from the class or continue in a desperate attempt to pass despite my below-failing grade, he never discouraged me. And at the end of the semester, he actually congratulated me and told me that he was extremely proud and was glad to have me as a student -that he would even love to have me back! I got a C-. I didn't think I was worthy of such accolation, but it told me volumes about the professors here. No matter how hard their class might be, they never want to see you fail. They take personal delight in your achievements, even if it is just barely passing. They love to see students learning and developing, even if it's acquiring study skills, rather than a perfect understanding of their material. Although the class was a "rude awakening," I would much rather look at it as an enlightening experience that introduced me to my own potential and the quality of Colgate professors.

I spent the first semester of my freshman year sober. I almost want to say that I had a hard time avoiding alcohol, in order not to sound cliche, but really, I never felt much pressure to drink. Sure, it was available, so it wasn't simply a matter of not being able to obtain it. It was just that no one ever really made me feel like I was missing out. When I went to parties, I played beer pong with water in my cups, and the other team made sure to rinse the ball well. I played flip cup with soda, which was almost harder because of the carbonation. Of course, I wasn't much fun at games where the punishment or the purpose was to make someone drink, but that didn't bother me much. And if I didn't want to be around alcohol, there was always something else to do, besides. It's surprising that in a culture so devoted to drinking, I really didn't get the sense that I was unwelcome. I suppose that the quality of people says more about Colgate than the quantity of Keystone consumed does, in the end.

The most prominent stereotype is that all Colgate students are "preppy," the guys wearing pink polos with popped collars, the females decked out in J. Crew from head to foot. We're supposedly all filthy rich and model attractive, maintaining our golden glows and svelte figures as well as our grades. Of course, besides working hard, we're known to party hard and rack up the consequential one-night stands, garnering us our reputation as a "hook-up" campus, rather than one conducive to steady relationships.

Jordan

I wish it was more acceptable to be diverse, people here don't as experiment as much as at other schools. There aren't many kids with orange hair or anything like that and I don't know many LGBT kids who are out about it. The majority of students are liberal but that doesn't mean you don't find plenty of conservatives.

Yes there are some very wealthy and some very preppy people at Colgate, but there are also alot of people who aren't. Alot of my friends wouldn't even be able to come here if they didn't have financial aid.

They're taken seriously, but I don't consider most student to be very competitive with eachother. We help each other for the most part. Even though the academics were challenging, I did not have to put in a ton of effort to get decent grades. However if you want to do really well you'd have to put in alot of time in yours studies. It's nice to be at a place surrounded by other smart people.

I would say Colgate is a very social campus but the majority of things revolve around partying. Athletic events do not get the turnout I would like and usually if I'm doing something social it's either hanging out in a friend's room or going to a party.

A common stereotype is that everybody is really rich and preppy. Also that we are a huge party school

Colgate University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.