Colgate University

« See more reviews of Colgate University

There is no school spirit for Colgate sports events, or at least not the ones I care about. We like hockey. That's pretty much it. If we're ever playing Cornell at anything, there will definitely be people at the games. Otherwise, I feel like the spirit around the sports teams is pretty apathetic. Because we're in the middle of nowhere, the school always makes sure to provide things to do on campus, and there usually are. There have been all kinds of interesting speakers and concerts. We're actually getting the Dalai Lama on campus in April; it's going to be fantastic. Partying is definitely the main focus of student social life. The schedule is this: You go out every day except for Sunday and Tuesday; Thursday can also be a day off if you really need it. The parties here are good if you know where to look, but if you don't look, you can easily ignore them. I don't drink, and it hasn't stopped me from having a good time here at all. The balance between work and play is very well maintained at Colgate. Spring Party Weekend is a huge tradition at Colgate. It happens in late April every year. I haven't actually been to one yet, but it is supposed to be the best weekend of the entire year. We get really good bands each year, apparently. This year we have OK Go. The Jug is the seedy bar in town; it's extremely popular. If you're eighteen, you're allowed in on "Freshman Nights," which are Mondays and Thursdays. Nineteen year-olds can get in whenever they want, which lends some mild significance to an otherwise useless birthday at Colgate. Many of the club sports at Colgate are focused on getting drunk; "pubs" seem to be a frequent occurrence no matter what sport you're in. It's mildly unpleasant if you aren't into that, because it prevents you from getting to know your teammates very well; the bonding seems to go hand-in-hand with the drinking. That has really been my only issue with the social scene at Colgate, though.

Students live in dorms for 2 years; Greek housing or apartments for last 2 years; and optional off campus last year. You meet your friends through your initial living arrangments and Greek/social life if you choose. Also other activities help you meet students. The school is small, so you may hear of people, then run into them and become good friends from there. Big going out nights are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Seniors choose to go out a lot on Mondays and Thursdays because there are less drunk freshmen. The Jug is the most famous bar because 19 year olds get it. It's ridiculous and also somewhat famous. Some people choose not to party, and that's ok too. Honestly, it's a really accepting place. Fun doesn't mean drunkenness if you don't want it too. Off campus there are movie theaters and Syracuse (mall and civilization) is 45 minutes away. There are also gorgeous places to go. Skiing and outdoor wintery stuff, etc. Lake Moraine has sailboats and stuff for students. Colgate is ultra traditional - go to the website because all they say is tradition this and that. But it's a lot of fun and really unifies the student body and university itself.

Popular groups: uh... ask someone else. My groups: COVE, the volunteering group. Doors: Yes, doors remain open. Athletic events: I'm not a sports-goer, don't ask me. The occasional hockey game is pretty neat. Dating scene: OK, here's the lowdown: get drunk, go to the jug, hook up. From here there are two options: 1- avoid awkward eye contact on the quad for the rest of the semester, or 2- remain in friendly contact in what is called a casual relationship. Keep in mind that this is the cliche here, and it's not entirely true. Yes, this scenario happens, but many students do find themselves in exclusive relationships. Friends; Met most of them in classes. Tuesday: Working on a physics assignment due the next day. Traditions: SPW baby! Party: On average, I say once a week. It's hard to go out both Fri and Sat. And a minority of students party on weekdays. A small minority. It's not uncommon to go a few weeks without partying. This is the truth. Frats/Sors: Yeah, they're important, I guess. Last weekend: Partied. Movie. Sat night w/ no drinking: Hang out with friends. Go sledding. Off campus: Go eat pizza. That's about it.

At Colgate, students are socially greek, play a sport, are black, or host their own house parties. Just about everyone gets wasted on the weekends, and Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday are also popular nights to go out. Spring Party Weekend and Alumni Weekend are always shitshows. As far as sports go, people care more about tailgating football than football but hockey games are always rowdy and fun. Personally I met my closest friends within my fraternity (I know I'm such a meathead) Theta Chi and I have memories there that I wouldn't trade for anything save living Hugh Hefner's life (before his Viagra days). Everyone at Colgate hooks up, and most hook up a lot. Its always funny walking down Broad Street and 8-9am Saturday morning in last nights outfit and exchanging knowing glances with those who walk by you. Oh and a Saturday night without drinking isn't a Saturday night at all. My typical Friday night would include pregaming at a townhouse, partying at my frat, heading downtown to the bars, and then going home with someone or settling for a piece of pizza at "Slices".

Colgate administration and student groups host tons of concerts, parties, and other events year round which are fun to go to, but Colgate there are certain things you absolutely cannot miss. Dancefest is an awesome concert twice a year when a bunch of dance clubs at Colgate perform in the Chapel in front of a jam packed audience. Spring Party Weekend is the most outrageous couple of days of your life, guaranteed. I can't think of words that can accurately describe it -- you have to experience it. Football games are somewhat popular to go to, as are the lacrosse games, if they are good that year. Hockey games are good too, especially when playing Cornell (SUNY-Ithaca). Actually, almost any sporting event is great to attend if you're hammered. The university has been trying hard to get students more passionate about sports teams. Frats parties are reliable for a good time. I've never been to a sorority party though; never really had to.

Nightlife at Colgate IS the Jug. The Jug is a bar/club that every night at Colgate inevitably ends at. People show up at about midnight and stay until closing at 2:30. After that, the night is over. Frats and bars kick people out after that hour. Due to a convenient lawsuit with local police, the Jug is able to serve 19 year olds who show student ID. However, a recent state police raid on the Jug has shut the bar down and some question when it will return. Inevitably, I believe, it will be back in action in Fall 2008. All other activities at night seem to be pregaming the trip down to the Jug. That isn't to say there's nothing to do; houses, apartments, and frats all over host drinking and beer pong two or more nights per week. People will usually find themselves doing the same (sometimes the exact same) things weekend after weekend.

There are a lot of popular student groups and activities. Many students are involved in some kind of athletics, whether it be varsity, club, or intramural. Likewise, Greek-life has a fairly large presence on campus. These groups participate in leadership and service activities. It also is a really good chance to familiarize with and expand the amount of your social cohorts. Additionally, there are a lot of students that are active at the COVE (the community service center). The COVE has a lot of different service opportunities. There are chances to tutor, clean-up the earth, work with under-privileged children and adults, to build sites, and to travel the country for service. It is a great resource that I have loved being involved with.

Most popular: frats, sororities, athletic teams. I'm involved with Men's lacrosse - best experience of my life. Athletic events need to be more popular than going to a tailgate to drink/socialize. THere's no school spirit. The dating scene is difficult because the school is so small. 2am Tuesday - studying. traditions: Spring party weekend, tailgates. graduation weekend. people party a lot, especially when it is warmer out or something is going on. Fraternaties and sororities are not important to me. Last weekend I had a game and had a social function with the team afterwards. Without drinking, you can still "party" or go to movies. Off campus: I live, sleep, party, socialize.

We are in upstate New York so most students spend little time outside of the 'Colgate Bubble'- on campus or downtown. The social scene mainly consists of beer soaked frat parties and the six bars downtown, but we make the most of it and have a great time doing so. Kids at Colgate rarely date, and if they do, its only after hooking up for awhile before hand. Social events revolve around drinking and its pretty safe to say this contributes to the hook up culture. You quickly learn how to deal with seeing the person you hooked up with the night before in the sober light of day. Those who do not drink or are unwilling to go out frequently may want to consider looking elsewhere.

All athletic teams tend to spend their time together but this is not to say that athletes and non-athletes are not friends. There are parties almost every night in one place or another but Monday and Tuesday nights are the only ones that can be dead. Most people choose not to be in a relationship but that does not mean that relationships arent around. My closest friends were met in my freshman dorm, freshman classes and on my softball team. There are also many things to do for people who dont want to drink, there is a movie theater in town, a couple resteraunts and nearly every weekend there is an event of some kind put on by the school's many groups.