Colgate University

« See more reviews of Colgate University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

People consider Colgate to be a predominately white upperclass, preppy student body who work really hard but also love to party. People think that we are in the middle of nowhere with nothing else to do besides drink and that everyone knows each other which makes it sort of like a high school.

There are many assumptions about Colgate and I think we all hear them more often then not. For one it is always assumed that there's nothing to do at Colgate. It is also assumed that all Colgate students are stuck up and rich and are Dartmouth rejects.

I think that some of the stereotypes about Colgate are that the student body is very homogenous and that most of the students are white and part of the upper-class. Another stereotype is that there is not much to do at Colgate except for drinking.

Colgate is perceived to be a liberal school and also prep central. Students are seen to come from wealthy well-off backgrounds and waste their parents money. They are also stereotyped as being very intelligent and concerned with academics.

Rich, white & preppy. Ostensibly true as a large portion of the student body does fit these criterion. Other sterotypes include everyones favorites "dumb jocks", nerdy theater kids, degenerate frat-stars, and of course the sizable jap scene.

I would say that some big stereotypes are that the student body is rich, homogenous, snobby and preppy and everyone dresses in the same designer labels. I also think that it's a stereotype that most of the girls here have eating disorders.

I was worried about going to Colgate because I heard that Colgate is politically conservative, very East Coast and everyone at the school is extremely wealthy. I am from Seattle, liberal and poor and was concerned I wasn't going to fit in.

The stereotypical Colgate student is white, from Jersey, Long Island, or NYC, is rich, likes to get hammered whenever possible, has kind of a casual preppy style (lots of north face fleeces) and likes to get hammered whenever they can.

That we are preppy in dress and attitude, generally quite well-off, and very sociable. We are passionate in everything we do - from our schoolwork, to extracurricular and athletic involvement, to how hard we party on the weekends.

The Prep Factor. The assumption is that Colgate students come from old money (or substantial money) families, and are thus extremely preppy. Then, there is the stereotype that all Colgate students drink regularly and heavily.