Colgate University

« See more reviews of Colgate University

Starting answering Colgate University is an amazing environment with exceptional academics, a beautiful campus, incredible faculty and students, many opportunities for involvement, and overall is a really fun and enjoyable atmosphere. There are a plethora of different classes offered to the students. Any given student could take a wide assortment of classes ranging from a class in neuroscience to one in performance arts . Similarly, students are granted access to a number of resources provided by the campus. Aside from the conventional resources like the library and food services, a student can also experience resources such as the various technology labs, the museum in the Ho Science Center (which even has a dinosaur egg on display), and so much more. The academic and research opportunities are endless. Likewise, there are multitude of opportunities for involvement here at Colgate. For instance, I am involved in the SAT tutoring program, admissions, funding initiatives for the school, and various other philanthropy groups. I even have been able to become certified in Suicide prevention! Aside from the areas I am involved with, there are so many other opportunities, clubs, activities to participate in. Just to name a few there are opportunities with sports at the club and intramural levels. One could also partake in activities such as Student Government, the Colgate Activities Board , or Greek life if he or she were to be interested in event planning and leadership opportunities, in general. There are also chances to get involved with the arts, by either participating in an acapella group, a play, a theater group, taking one of the many art classes offered, the choir, or dance groups. Since Colgate is a smaller school it is very simple to partake and inquire about these various activities. The smaller size is also conducive to students being able to make a greater impact on the institution and are easily able to contact and meet with different members of the administration. Here at Colgate, the students' voices really do matter. Overall, Colgate University is a truly wonderful, intimate, and enjoyable atmosphere that offers it's students so many incredible opportunities. I could not be happier!

If you don't think you belong at Colgate, you probably don't. One of the biggest issues the school has been dealing with is diversity (or lack thereof). Of course, the school creates things like an African-American themed dorm, but kids end up living there starting freshman year and never end up mixing with everyone else. The school's administration is really incompetent when it comes to things like that. They have increased the school's endowment by about $200 mil since I've been here (if that matters to anyone). There are two main problems with Colgate: the location and the weather. Colgate is located in central New York, i.e., the middle of nowhere. If you drive a mile in either direction away from Colgate, you're in the cornfields. The closest cities to Colgate are Utica and Syracuse, and those are about 45 minutes-an hour away. One interesting attraction is Turning Stone Casino, which 30 minutes away and allows 18 year olds to play. The town itself is the intersection of Lebanon and Broad. It is very small, but more or less has everything you need. A complaint I hear from other people a lot is the notoriously slow service in all the restaurants, which are operated by townies who very clearly despise Colgate students. The main problem with the town is that the locals consider Colgate students to be walking in on their turf. The town does not cater to the needs of the college, as all restaurants except 1 close early (even on weekends). As for the weather, I believe it truly ruins the school. We have a beautiful campus, but you will never, ever see people lying out on the grass or chilling outside other than the first two weeks in the fall and the last two in the spring. One of the main results of this, I think, is increased emphasis of cliques and little social mixing. Either way, Colgate would be a million times better if there were nice weather for more of the year. The school really undergoes a transformation during the brief time when the sun comes out.

Best: Academics -- stellar, engaging. It's awesome. Change: The weather. Fuck cold. Size: Just right. Reactions: People down south haven't really heard of Colgate. Time: Studying, duh. Or procrastinating. College town: Haha... Hamilton grows on you, it's not that bad, but there's nothing really to do. Administration: Let's face it, administration, no matter where from, is helplessly suffocated by its own bullshit bureaucracy. That consider, administration at Colgate is above par. Controversy: The Greek house purchases were controversial, but few really gave a fuck. Pride: Yes, lots... mostly. Unusual: During orientation, freshman are given hype about all sorts of "traditions" -- it's all crap. We don't have these meaningless arbitrary "traditions" like those retards down at A&M. Listen, I went to college to learn physics, not to shout some fag chant every time a football player scored a touchdown. Experience I'll remember: making out with girls. Student complaints: Students complain about the weather and the small town. And by students I mean freshman. A few pussies transfer out after freshman year because they're too weak to handle a bit of cold and -- for heaven's sake -- to learn how to survive in a place that's not flooded with wal-marts and other evil conveniences of the 21st century. The rest of us stay and learn to love it.

Colgate really stands true to its small size. You get a lot of attention from faculty and are introduced to experiences you might not have at a large school. Colgate is also very tapped into national/international resources - which is so surprising for its small size. The education is amazing and I know that there is no better place I could have gone. Socially, Colgate is very Greek oriented. The majority of students are not Greek, but the majority of students who are more oriented to partying are Greek. Nonetheless, the Greek system at Colgate isn't as strict as most schools and certainly not like the south. It's just a way to have big parties and an established social group. The college 'village' is a traffic light. It's very small and there isn't a lot of shopping or things like that in Upstate New York. This also works to Colgate's advantage because they rule the village and basically no one ever gets into serious trouble. There isn't a ton of school pride at sporting events. We're division 1, but the school is small so fans are spread out across the different sports. School spirit picks up once you're an alum because you realize what an amazing time you had at Colgate.

Colgate is amazing. It is a glorified country club where we earn an "education". We call it the Colgate bubble because that's what it is and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's the perfect size in the sense that whereever you are you always know someone, yet you never stop meeting new people. The best things about Colgate are the parties, THE JUG, the professors, the small campus (everything is within walking distance), and the natural beauty of the school. The worst part is the administration which is generally uptight and trying to ruin the school's party reputation. They should let it be. The reason kids come to Colgate in the first place is because they are looking for the perfect balance between work and play. We are a school with a great academic reputation as well as a school that likes to "get down" as the kids say. The most recent controversy was when some kid said on Juicycampus.com that he could shoot up the school and everyone went apeshit. There is school pride (but no athletic pride really with the exception of hockey) and the most common student complaint is the bitter cold during the winter months.

It can be stress free at times as long as your comfortable with your academics. The classes I took first semester is what I would change. The school is just right but you might want to have your liscence and maybe a car. People I have met so far are quite indifferent when I tell I attend Colgate. I mainly study in my room because I have a single. The administration I believe is constantly trying to get better. They are a respectable authority figure. The biggest controversy right now is the possibility of removing first years from HRC- Harlem Renaissance Center. Most people do not regret coming to colgate after a while. It was not great at first but i do not regret it. The average student i believe drinks three beers a week. I think there is definetly more to come for me. Frank Dining Hall can definetly use some improvement. Most if all if a student wants to attend colgate he or she should come with someone that they already know. It will work out well if one has that initial support system. Hardly anyone wants to be a fish out of water.

The education is amazing, the Professors are all wonderful and the size of the school is great! The student to teacher ratio is 10:1 which means you have an opportunity to know your Professors on a more personal level. The class sizes are smaller so discussion is a main factor really making the learning environment much more interactive and enjoyable. The town is pretty small, and far from any city but it is very nice and all the necessities are nearby. The athletic facilities are very nice, except for maybe one or two. When people hear that you are attending Colgate or have graduated from there they are always very impressed and it is very useful when applying for jobs. The Alumni network is incredible. It is large and spreads throughout the world giving many connections in order to find jobs or internships. Most complaints about the school are the amount of homework, the smallness of the town, and the distance from any large city.

When I tell people I go to Colgate, most people seem to know someone who went there, or have heard about it, which I always find surprising given the size. I am very proud of the fact of the size that we are that we make a very loud splash. Although I think everyone has different experiences that they will remember about Colgate, I think the friends that people make and the connections made are the most important part. Frankly, the administration could care less about the well-being of the student body, they just appear to care about what looks good for them, and what helps put Colgate higher on the US News rankings. I think that school pride has decreased, evident in the poor attendance at sports events, and the attempt of the school to shut down anything that involves alcohol. I will always remember riding down in a wheel chair at the DKE house at 4 in the morning.

The best thing are the people. I love making so many great friends and meeting new people. I would make the school larger. I thought it was a great size for the first three years but then by senior year I felt like there were no longer new people to meet. People are impressed when I say I go to Colgate. I spend most of my time at the athletic center for Lacrosse. Town wouldn't exist without the college. I like the administration on an academic level, but I dislike it from an athletic perspective. Biggest controversy - juicycampus post about shooting people. There is school pride, but not athletic pride. Unusual - it's completely in the middle of nowhere. I will always remember my experiences when the weather gets nice and people start loving life. The most frequent complaints is the bad weather.

Outdoor Education. One of the best programs in the nation. It is the sole thing that gravitated me towards Colgate and it has lived up to it reputation. Students are trained to teach PE courses to their peers and end up meeting a lot of amazing students. Hamilton is also a pretty cool "college town". Has what you need... School pride is a work in progress... it is getting better, most students wear Colgate attire everywhere they go. One experience I will always remember is going sunlight canoeing on Lake Morane. Beautiful! An usual thing might be the hallways connecting buildings... or the cove, organized community service area... "the Jug" a place that scares me but intrigues me all at the same time.. oldest dinasaur egg Students complain the most about the crowdedness of the gym.