College for Creative Studies Top Questions

Stacie

If I could go back and give my high school senior self advice, I'd definitely tell myself to work harder and draw more, because that's the only thing that's going to help improve my talent. I'd also recommend that I not take out any loans will sallie mae because they are the devil incarnate.

I would tell myself to take a year off of school and explore. Join clubs; take classes and travel to get to know yourself. I am an older student and this is my second bachelors degree. Through the years, I did explore and discovered my strengths and who I am. Doing this helped me know what career path I should take. I never knew I was creative however since I now know I am embracing it.

Drue

If I could go back in time I would convince myself that I am a much better person than I believed at the time. Comming from a scattered family, with a mother diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and clinical depression and never knowing my father, there wasn't a very nurturing environment in my home and as result I didn't develop a very strong sense of self worth. In fact, my self esteem was so low that I started drinking at 14 which resulted in poor grades in school. Don't get me wrong, I did well when I went and knew the importance of getting a high school diploma which is why I did graduate on time, but being depressed with no involvement in anything that inspires my core values made it hard to excel! I know now the importance of understanding who I am deep down and have since cultivated a strong self respect, self esteem, self love and have stopped drinking to mask my emotions and have become a much better person. I am able to help people because of my experiences, but if I could go back, I would have told me to love me.

If I could tell my former high school self anything, I would say that the next four years are crucial. High school was tough but college will need the same amount of dedication and vigor to prepare myself for the world ahead. Since I’m going to school for computer animation, I would tell myself to stay patient; for patience is an important quality for all artists. Computer animation isn’t easy and it takes time to improve. Be prepared to swim in dark murky waters before you reach the shore. If it was easy, everyone would do it and the best things are the hardest. You will succeed if you really want it. I'd say never doubt my abilities and a great artist can come from anywhere. Computer animation is a bridge between art and technology; so don’t be afraid to learn computer science and math. Read articles about great artists in the industry. What’s their story? Attend conventions and get your name out there! Invest in extra training! Remember, college only teaches the basics; it’s up to you to learn the rest. Please remember that I have people who will always root for me.

If I could go back in time and speak with my past self, I would say four very important things: 1. You are the most beautiful person I know, and the flaws you see are not visible in the eyes of others. Your personal battles with body image and sexuality are little more than speed-bumps; the woman blossoming within you cannot be judged or held back by weight or whom she prefers to spend her life with. You are accepted and loved by the ones that matter most. 2. You will meet some amazing people, and lose even more. Love them easily and unconditionally. When they leave, mourn their loss, but continue on, for others will continue to need you. Learn from everyone, take the lessons to heart, and use them in all other relationships and areas of your life. 3. College is a journey, do what YOU want to do. I know your parents put quite a bit of pressure on you to become what they expect you to be, but please don't cave in. Pursue your passion and you WILL be successful. Take risks; be proud of your accomplishments. 4. And, most importantly, I love you.

Heather

I would tell myself to start applying to schools, because in a few years you will be married and have a child. You will need to have a degree to help your family out. Your husband shouldn't have to do it all. You could make your family's life better. You need to show people you are serious and take up for yourself.

Keep going! You WILL graduate two years early and receive your driver license in the same month. College is great and exciting. You will be able to work towards a career and meet some great people. All of your hard work will pay off! Do not be afraid to sign up for more than 15 units. Have fun, but I already know you will! ;D

Kristina

As a sophomore in college majoring in Biology pre-professional, being involved in many activities at my current institution, I have learned many skills that will be beneficial to me thoughout my future career. However, if I could go back in time in my senior year of high-school I would advise myself to jump right in my college journey. I wish I knew since my very first semester to join th honors program, get involved in many clubs and organizations. I am grateful for the chance that I had create these lifewong experiences in college, but I wish I did it earlier when i first started. Doing so earlier would have opened up more and more opportunities.

Heather

I have thought about this many times the past few years. I love my husband, kids, animals, and job as a pediatric medical assistant. One thing is currently missing, my degree as an RN. I, however, could have never imagined how hard going back to college would be financially and mentally after you start a family. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get my degree right after high school graduation. Stay in school! While I was in high school I felt it was not financially possible to go straight to college. I kept thinking the older I get, the more financially stable I would be. I was very niave. The stress of providing for more than one far excedes the stress of caring for just me. I could never have imagined cost of living would be where it is and raises would be non existent. I am a firm believer things happen for a reason and God will provide what we need to survive. However, a scholarship would be wonderful to help with my next adventure in the LFCC ADN program. So excited to finally call myself an RN.

Laura

Dear Laura, Do not give up hope. Please stop saying that “you’ll never be good enough,” because that’s not true. You are good enough, you will get into college and you will succeed. You will be accepted to your dream school and there you will become the great artist that you know you are. Try your hardest and never give up. Please have more confidence in yourself. Stop becoming what others want you to be. Be yourself. Believe in yourself because I believe in you. As Robert Frost said, “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Robert Frost is right, no matter what happens life will go on. Just know that even if you may face an obstacle now, life will go on. Do what you love, that’s all that matters. Follow your dreams of becoming an artist and overcome obstacles along the way. You can do it. You can do anything you put your mind to. Believe in yourself and never give up. Never give up because I’ll never give up on you. I’ll never give up on myself. Sincerely, Your Future Self

Miranda

I would tell myself to take time to figure out what I really want to do in life and not jump in to anything. I would want to listen to myself more, rather than trying to make my family proud of me by going into a career that I am not happy with just to be happy financially. I would want to consider my academic options more carefully and seek out more help when it comes to that manner. I would also of liked to seek out help in more career options. If I would of taken more of my time to realize what I wanted to do academically, I believe picking out a career would of been easier and more enjoyable for myself.

Brian

If I could say anthing to my former high-school self, it would be to take classes more seriously. My grades, even for the classes that I figured would never apply to my life, mattered more than I could've imagined when applying to colleges Seeing how drastically they affected my overall GPA makes me shake my head and wish that I would've worked harder to improve as oppose to shrugging them off; a lesson that I now realize I learned too late. I would also tell myself to not spend hard-earned money so frivolously. I never could've fathomed that all of the money I spent stockpiling in my bank account for the last 20 years would completely vanish over one year of college. Looking back, I strongly regret all of the frivolous purchases I've made and wish that there was some way to go back and tell myself to hold off on that computer upgrade, or even the occasional meal at Subway. Even a few dollars that I could've saved back then would be a few dollars closer to the top of the pit of Student Loan debt that I have gotten myself into.

Devon

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to go for it. My freshman year of college was spent at Grand Valley State University because I was afraid of the instability that accompanies the art world. I would tell myself to stick with my dream, I would be a Junior at CCS had I done so. I would also tell myself that its okay to be unsure and afraid of what the future, but to roll with it because thats the whole point. Live and learn, make mistakes and grow from them. I may have had to start over a few times, but thats a part of life. I would tell myself to not get in the way of myself, if that makes sense. I would have said to do what makes you happy, regardless of what the world thinks. Art is my passion, its my gift, I need to go for it...thats what I wish I could have known as a high school senior.

Monena

I would tell my high school self is to learn how to handle criticism and develop a thick-skin; don’t let people put you down or doubts in your head. Don't listen when they say you can't do this or that, that something will never happen or that it is impossible. Don’t be afraid to stand up yourself. Learn to distinguish who are and who are not my friends. Know how to take things on step at time and challenge yourself on handling everyday situations as they come and realize that life isn’t going to be handed it to you on a silver platter. Learn to think before you act and be careful in what you say to others. Listen clearly what people are telling you, especially if it’s parents warning you about their mistakes. Furthermore, be a smart shopper, handle your money carefully and pay yourself first. Get involved as a volunteer and help out the environment. Make your decisions wisely. Think things through before you leap and don’t take problems you do not want to handle. And finally, try not to be hard on self, be true to who you are.

Zack

Don't worry so much. Focus on your abilities and quit second guessing yourself. Jump after what you want in life, even if it seems scary at first. Work hard, but don't let your schoolwork suffer because of it. Do one thing to the best of your ability, not three things to half of your ability. Don't waste your money on foolish purchases. Invest your money in things that will serve you well for years to come. Apply to the best and brightest colleges for your intended major, even if there doesn't seem to be a way there. You owe it to yourself to try, and not to wait. You've dreamed about it too long. Embrace yourself and who you are without worrying what other people think. You're unique, and you don't want to blend into the crowd anyhow. Lastly, you're a leo with the heart of a lion. Have the courage to stand up for what you believe in, because most people out there don't. You can make an impact by standing up for those too afraid to speak.

Danae

I am just now going to start college . I would probably tell myself to do some more reasearch and put more extensive thought into what I want to do becuase now I nervous if I am making the right decisions. As is any students trying to decide what they want to do for the rest of their life . And hopefully pick a career and not a job. Also to find something that will make you happy for the rest of your life. It is not always what makes more money it it about what makes you happy in the long run.

Travis

College is a wonderful place where you meet new friends and make great decisions. Don't let the minimal things get in your way of achieving all you can becuase there is no better time like the present to make a name for yourself. Use all of the resources available as much as you can becuase they are there for you to utulize. Make sure you budget yourself with money for all things necessary: tuition, food, books, supplies, fun. Study and make sure all work is handed in ontime or if possible early. Do everything you can to impress the teachers and get to know them on a person level or a first name basis. Manage your time well with studio time and homework time along with a job and class time because if you don't it will be disasterous. Above all enjoy yourself with your work and what you create becuse this is the most important time for learning mistakes and correcting mistakes that can be hazerdous down the road in life.

Alexandra

not to worry because you can do anything you put your mind to and you always get where you want to if you work hard enough

Corey

I would tell myself that work ethic and a strong presence is key for success in college. I have learned that a good relationship with your professors and a move to the forefront attitude will and can place you in a very good position. I would also tell myself that time management will save your sanity. The battle that many students have is learning to balance school, a job, and a social life. Trust me its possible, but the necessity here is work ethic, good priorities and a strong presence.

Megan

Get more involved and talk to professors about internships

Mariam

From my recent college experience I have learned education is important. People all around the world can easily say education is important, the question is why? Education is the growing root for the career you have dreamt about your whole life. It starts a whole new beginning without an end. My college experience has taught me to strive for a goal, become better at it and to keep moving forward with it. It has showed me positives and negatives about my college life, including friends, education, professors, and much more. College is a valuable experience and will always be a valuable experience to me, because it helps a person gain knowledge. Knowledge is a never ending experience as I see it, no matter the age, a person will keep learning until the end of time. College in my eyes is worth the money put in to it. I really hope students all over the world have a college experience like I have, it really is a chance of a lifetime. Let's make it worth it.

Taylor

I'm getting the exact education I need for my future career, down to the core classes that will strengthen my degree. Besides that, it's right in downtown Detroit, so I'm getting a taste of what it's like to live in a big city, as opposed to living in the suburbs of a small town all my life. There are also many different majors and degrees in the art field, so I'm getting to know people in those degrees, exposing myself to different kinds of art other than what I'm used to.

As a person who has always felt a little behind growing up, always challenged in the classroom and not doing as well as the majority, however excelling at anything creative. It was an easy decision for me to attend The College for Creative Studies; it was the tuition cost convincing to the parental that was most difficult. My mother didn’t at first understand why I needed to attend such an expensive private art school “Couldn’t you get the same degree at a basic college.” she would say; Yes maybe the degree would look the same but the experience, impact, and skill sets obtained could never compare. That person I once was in the past always feeling a little behind was finally ahead of the game. I have never worked so hard, been so passionate, and did so well at anything academic in my life. CCS brought out what I think might have always been there, my creativity, and then refined and polished it. CCS not only gave me the skills to think and create creatively, but a new confidence in myself I had never had before.

Jenny

Many of us leave high school imagining the next four years as the best of our lives. This idea comes from those around us, who coincidentally, said the same thing about high school. Needless to say, I was excited and a little skeptical. If I knew about the all-nighters I would pull or how hard I would push my mind and body, there is no way I would have believed those people. I would’ve been wrong. College wasn’t just about the workload and degree. College was about learning not only about your major (as you ingested coffee like water or bought Red Bull by the case), but also about yourself. Grade school was relatively easy and for a first, I not only had to work hard, I wanted to work hard. I had teachers that I admired and friends wanting what I wanted in life, just as thrilled to see their futures growing before them. What did I get out of the valuable experience of college? I can’t just name one thing. I developed a new way of thinking, a new perspective on the world. I learned who I was and who I wanted to be.

Juan

When i was younger my parents both worked full-time barely amking wages above minimum, I mistook that way of living as a concrete cast system. I have learned the error of my ways since then watching family suffer through the a recession that has them dependent on my part-time job and my father's pension. College gave new hope and has allod to dream of a better life for myself those I care for, the importance of of a higher education in my personal experience is knowing that I am get tom shape a better future.

Jay'Neisha

My college experience is one of the best experiences of my life. It’s the first time that I ever had to be completely responsible for myself. I've never had issues with responsibility where school is concerned but high school doesn't really compare to college. In high school, the teachers try to prepare you for the real world but under the surface there is still a safety net. Teachers in high school are definitely more concerned than college professors. In college you have to float or sink. You can't expect someone to remind you to get your work done. If you procrastinate you will quickly be overwhelmed. I fully developed my organizational skills when I started college. I've honestly never had a better opportunity to practice time management. College made it necessary for me to learn and develop the responsibility of an adult. It gave me my first real career-like experience. I'll be grateful for it for the rest of my life.

John

What I have gotten out of my college experience is one on one experience. This is valuable to me because the hands on training has helped refine my art and make it a bit better so far.

Shane

My college experience has helped me to communicate better, my network has increased and I'm more confident on a professional level. It?s very valuable when you have peers on the same level as you, as well as knowledgeable Instructors who can challenge you with critiques in every aspect of your leaning. This way when you graduate and evaluate all the things that you have been through while your in college, applying to a job in field becomes second nature and its far easier to succeed.

Valbona

I would have never expected that going to art school would be as difficult as it has been. On average, I do four "allnighters" a week for how much work we receive. I am so blessed that I am attending a very known design/art school that is reputable is something to be proud of. My whole life, I was the best at art, but now I have been placed in an environment where the competition is immensly difficult. My school has combined the top artists, and it's easy to get discouraged. I feel like even though I might not be the best, I will stand out because I have drive. I'm not affraid of what the world has to offer. What will make me stand out is my speed, and my indurance. What college has taught me is that it is not easy, and that people strive to get the best education possible. I need to make a difference in this world through design, and this school has taught me that my dreams are possible; that I will make a difference.

Landon

Honestly? Not much. I attended a community college and I feel like I was walked through it. Open book tests, multiple choice math problems, and teachers that allowed students to turn in assignments extremely late, all added up to a fairly unfullfilling college experience. Ofcourse, there where exceptions. My Biology, English, Higher Math, and Religion classes stand out in my mind. The experience really depended on the teacher and my teachers in those courses where exceptional. It's difficult to put what I gained from those teachers into words. The things I learned wheren't really that valuable because in the long run very little of that stuff sticks with you. I suppose the most valuable thing I gleened from my experience was a learning style. I honed my ability to communicate with others and to quickly obtain usefull information. I also learned how to solve problems on my own which is far more valuable than any particular thing you can know. In short, the Associate's Degree I earned hasn't really done much for me. I'm hoping that furthering my education in a more serious setting will help me become a more valuable person.

ivan

This college drives students to suceed in that the faculty truly cares about the students and how they can be part of their success. The college design labs are open late into the evening hours, giving students the oportunity to be creative during the time they don't attend classes. Students have good work ethics and are helpful to one another. Teachers are available to assist most hours of the day as well as weekends if necessary. Although it is costly, I will continue to excell at College for creative studies as long as I can find the funds to attend.

Cassandra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell my self to get started on raising funds so could afford more than a semester at the college that I would come to love. I would tell myself not to worry about making friends, because there would be a friend for me where ever I would go. Eventually, I would tell myself to call my family or email them more often; they supported my decision to get to an art school and would support me after. Sooner or later I would tell myself to keep in touch with my friends from back home, I would eventually be returning home and my friends would miss me as much as I would miss them. Lastly, I would suggest that I throw more spaghetti parties for everyone I would know at CCS, because they were so much fun; we would spend hours around the dinner table taking about what ever came to mind. However, I digress, for I will never be able to turn back that clock. On the off chance that I could , I believe itime would eventually come to this moment anyhow.

Monica

If I could go back in time to my high school senior year I would tell myself to look for scholarships! I also would tell myself to just be myself and not me afraid to go to college events, and meet new people. College life is fun, and at first it you can be homesick, but just realized that your family is your BIGGEST support system, and there is always skype! The transition at first can be hard but no worries you can do ANYTHING!

shayna

If I had the ability to travel back in time to prewarn my high school senior self of what was to be in the years to come; aside from telling my youthful self to apply for many scholarships and grants to ease the to be pressure of financial standing on myself to free up my mind to be focused on more important and relevent things such as my studies. Aside from that, I feel that I wouldn't reveal a lot more than that to myself. A major part of going to college is discovery as well as self-discovory. Its about learning who you truly are and how you will react to different situations in life that you are not prepared for, not until finding yourself out of your element will you have the ability to do so. One word of wisdom that I would share with past self is to be opened to all new experiences, with this ability you will go farther than you've ever expected.

I am learning disabled, so that means I have to work extra hard to keep up with everyone else. It's something that has definitely affected me academically and mentally throughout my life. I would tell myself to not worry about what others think, to talk to teachers about it and always ask for help when I need it. At the beginning of my college career I struggled, and my biggest mistake was being afraid to ask for help. Everyone should take advantage of tutors and the student success center, they are beneficial to everyone. Most of all, don't forget to have fun and be yourself!

Ashleigh

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would remind myself that high school is such a small part of my life and that I should enjoy the time that I have in it. I should not worry so much about what the other kids are doing or saying and not allow myself to be pressured into things I know are wrong. I should remember that everyone is going through the same kind of pressures that I am - trying to fit in, worrying about their future, and dealing with parents that want us to be adults one minute and kids the next. I will continually remind myself that I have a very positive future ahead of me, especially when I feel like it is the end of the world. I will make sure to talk to my family and friends when it feels like everything beginning to be overwhelming. But most of all, I will remember to have fun. Because once I go off to college, I have to make my own decisions, be responsible for my own actions, and work even harder than before. I know now that I am ready!

Meredith

During the application process for college as a high school senior, I dedicated a huge portion of my time towards preparing my portfolio. Looking back on this, I would still tell myself to dedicate so much time to my portfolio, but I would also advise myself to spend more time on the quality of each piece and to apply myself more towards more outside scholarships. College life is expensive, particularly regarding buying supplies and textbooks, and any money opportunities are welcome. Being wrapped up classes and homework, though, finding time to make money or a job that is willing to work around school hours is not easy. Also, being in art school, the talent is competitive,so receiving art-based scholarships can be extremely difficult/ I would tell myself as a high school senior to seek more money opportunities and to also apply her other academic talents towards finding other scholarships.

Paula

Take as many college prep courses as possible. Stop feeling inferior. You are just as good as everyone else. Quit listening to people who tell you can't make it. Take public speaking courses in high school. Know that it is okay to ask questions. Save your money from working at fast food restaurants. It's no fun having to work while trying to go to school. You'll be able to focus more on your school work if you have money to live on and it'll be less stressful.

If I could to back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give these following advices. One of the advice would be to take AP classes and tests to receive the credits to transfer to the college/university. Recieving the extra credits helps the student to be in advance classes and saves money for the student and parent. Another advice is to always try your best and to enjoy college. For example, college students get extremely stressed during exam week and it is best to finish the semester strong by thinking positive. The stduent should take breaks and stretch to get the blood flowing through the body. Last but not least, I would give the advice to always think positive and not to give up. Thinking positive during a negative situation gives the student hope and strength to overcome the problem and move on. School should be always come first because you are PAYING to go to college/university. You should always try to your best and think positive!

Meredith

I would tell my self to relax. College is difficult, so take things a little easier before getting there. It is important to still work hard and be motivated, but it is not necessary to beat yourself. Also, do art as frequently as you like and beyond.

Natalie

To my younger self, Though you are afraid of this big jump in to "real life", it is essential to go for the gold. The college experience is absolutely invaluable. You will learn so much about yourself and your strength, develop independence and creativity, and meet hundreds of people who have the same goals that you have. There will be instructors who inspire you, and colleagues who will encourage you. Ultimately you will achieve everything that you fear is impossible. Your confidence will skyrocket, your values will develop, you will make relationships that will last a lifetime, and you will learn more about anything and everything than you ever thought possible. By the time achieve senior status, you will already posess the skills to carry yourself through the professional field and beyond. Where I stand now, I feel that anything is possible. I have learned so much and found what I have always been looking for; My true self. So, my dear, throw those hesitations and fears out the window. Because you are about to begin a journey of a lifetime.

Natasha

I would tell myself that everything is fine. Even though the world seems to be crumbling around us, and hope seems like a distant memory, everything is going to be fine. Sometimes I get so worried about what the future holds, because my financial stability is rocky. I'd tell myself that I'm doing excellent in school, but it's only because I try really hard. For every hour I spend in class, I spend two to three outside of class on homework. It really pays off. I would tell myself not to worry about whether or not I'm going to afford next semester, and just worry about the one I've already paid for. If I put my all in to everything I do, I know that it will all work out in the end. Even though I don't know how I'm going to afford it all, I can't let that stop me from trying to fulfill my dreams. I would tell myself how lucky I am to be where I'm at, and that I deserve it, because I want to make the world a better place!

Jacob

Find a college that fits you and what you want to do. Stay active and stay on top of your homework and you will do great in school. Stay positive

Anthony

gftugggggggggggggg

Kristina

My best advice would, if you don't know what you want to do as a career, it's not a bad idea to go to a community college your first year or two and then transfer to a university. High schools tend to push a lot of students into going to major universities they can't afford or really have an interest in going there. You will know what school is right for you and once you've found it, it's best to get involved as much as possible and talk to your follow classmates. Your college experience is only as good as how you make it and the choices you make.

Jasmin

The only advice I can give to parents and students is to be prepare as much as you can mentially and finically. Students must understand what they are getting their-self into. College is a learning experince of independent civilization. Once the student learn who they are as a person and a student, they will know what institute that best fits them. Student must know what they want to do immediately. Don't waste time on anything. The students and parents should have a well understanding of how expensive the school is for the time they there before they enroll. That includes everything.

Heather

In today's society it is manditory to further your education in order to make a living. So many people spend their lives going to a job that they hate, to come home and pay endless bills. It is important to take the time to explore your interests, and then turn them into something you can do for the rest of your life. When you have a better idea of the career you would like to pursue, it is easier to narrow down school choices, and find the college that is right for your own personal plan. Learning a field that you enjoy, and furthering it into a job is self rewarding, and richens your life. While you are in college, take every oppertunity that is presented, because it wont be there tomorrow. Most importantly, think of knowledge as a tool; The more tools you collect, the more you are able to do for others, and that will get you far in life.

Megan

Speaking from experience, I tell everyone not to feel pressured into going to a big or well known university their first year, just because that's what's expected. Unless you're truely passionate about what you want to do from the beginning, it never hurts to sign up for a community college to get the basics out of the way, and see if anything inspires you. This experience can provide you with a lot of information you didn't have coming out of high school, like whether or not you like a large school or a small school, or hands-on classes versus online classes. As an art major, I've been told that I won't make any money or be successful. On the contrary, what I've learned is that it's not about the the career that makes a person successful; it's the passion a person has for their career that really makes them succeed. If you love what you do, you will make more time and invest more effort into both your school and your career. Choose a school because it fits you socially, academically, and financially.

Matthew

Finding the right college is almost certainly an exercise in patience. Take the time to plot out the pros and cons and properly weigh the situation as it essentially a balancing act. It's true that factors such as the cost of tuition and location of the school are chief among concerns, but you cannot let such trivial things prevent you from taking the path you feel is correct. It is a fine line between using your common sense and following your heart, but in the end, if nothing more, at least investigate. Even if you don't attend your first choice of schools there is no fault in having looked into it. One of the most important things that you can do as a parent or student is to make your decision based on how you feel after having investigated the school. Speak with the staff, evaluate the programs, check the facilities and read about the classes. The more you know about each school you look at, the more educated your decision will be when you make one in the end.

Jongmee

You can't choose the right college by just looking at their webpages and pamphalets. You have to actually visit and walk around the campus to know if you'd enjoy being on the campus through all seasons. College is not all about drinking beer and partying every night. It is neccessary to spend more time academically than socially. But it's worth it.