College of Central Florida Top Questions

Alysia

Taking time off is not a bad thing. You got your AA while in high school: you're ahead of the game.

VICTORIA

I would have went to college right after I graduated high school. Study hard and participate very often. Put school first.

suzanne

If I could go back in time, I would tell the younger version of me three things. Trust your instincts, make friends, and listen to your parents. Your gut feeling is usually right. If someone seems sketchy, they probably are. On the first day of class, if the professor's arrogent,or unhelpful, GET OUT. Don't try to be the one who tough's it out. Just leave. Transfer to another class that day. The first day is the day to make friends. They come in handy for social gatherings and study parties. Always create a study group within the first two weeks of classes, no excuses. Studying is the most important aspect of doing well in school. Don't slack off. Friends help you do well and encourage improvement. When you leave the house for the first time your parents are going to tell you to be smart. They're going to say that you shouldn't party and to save money while in Community College because you're going to need it later. Well, right now I'm in the later and YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED! If you don't, however, it was worth it.

Daria

I think the majority will agree with me when I say that, senior year is the most stressful time during high school. Now that I am a college freshman I am starting to realize what I should have done. While I was in high school, I had taken several dual enrollment and Advanced Placement courses to complete my college math, english, and elective courses. Looking back this was the most beneficial thing for my future. As for the advice that I would give myself in order to have a smoother transition, I would say to do myself a favor and not procrastinate with filling out scholarships and filing college applications. I would finally give the advice to take a deep breath and stop worrying about the future, but focus on the present.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that everything won't always work out the way you them too but that it will be for the better. I would tell myself to not stress out so easily because the professors and college advisors will be their to help you through every obstacle you encounter. Finally, I would tell myself to just let go and enjoy yourself because you might miss out on some really great opportunities if you don't.

Kathryn, make sure you go to college as soon as possible and get a degree in a trade that will let you grow through out your career. Apply yourself to your classes and get the best grades possible. Make sure the college you go to will help you find a good company to work for. Also pick a trade that you will enjoy and will be happy to go to work everyday. Your family is very important also, they need to be behind you and support you emotionaly if possible, they will encourage you to do your very best and complete your education.

In high school, especially as a senior, I was a slacker so the first thing I would do is push me off the couch and into the closest library. I would explain that it is absolutely necessary to have a firm knowledge base in everything you possibly can before you step foot on campus. The best way to prepare yourself is to develop a desire to learn and then to make lifelong learning one of your highest values. I would also indicate that there are thousands of scholarships out there and I need to take advantage of as many as I can. It's very obvious to me now that people offering you money based on your academic merit is something not to take for granted. There is so much out there and if you ignore it you'll end up struggling trying to scour up funds for all the things you didn't think of such as books, housing, and bills. Most importantly I would explain the necessity of being open minded. You don't expect to change your major three times, but you change and you have to be willing to fall into the niche that's right.

Melinda

I have learned that you are never to old to attend college and that it is not a waste of time; The reason for me saying that is because I have three young children at home that have a future that depends on what mom decides to do with her future. I want them to know if you don't go to college right after high school always know that when you are ready that you are never to young, old and it will not be a waste of time. You will meet alot of people along the way that will enrich your mind with knowledge that will help you on that college experience; I want them to know that if you want it go get it don't let the next person stand in your way of reaching your goals to a good life, good future. Even though my children are still young I teach them to always be the best, be a leader and not a follower, and be a go getter. My children are my world and they are the reason I'm working hard at this so that they can be proud of me.

I have gotten professional help. I have furthered my education and hope to use this education to secure a decent position in a prestigious company. It has been invaluable to attend. There is not a price I can put on my education. It makes me a better mom, role model, and overall better person.

Duane

I have gotten a great deal out of my college experience because it has allowed me to go back to school and study a subject I really want to pursue for a career, plus it has afforded me the opportunity to interact with other people for a different age group and nationality which in turn in broading my horizon on the world as a whole and to see there aspirations are just the same as ours here in America. It's a joy to see how hunger the young minds are and I am privilaged to be apart of this experience.

Adriana

I

I have gotten experience in how college courses are organized. I have gained new friendships with people that I have met on campus. The teachers are so nice and caring. The tuition isn't so high compared to universities and private colleges.

Mai

I am already attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for getting a Master's degree in Aeronautics. I always wanted to be a pilot and am about to start my training.

Paloma

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell me how important is to keep goog grades in high school, because good grades are the main key to get to the university or college that you want. Also that good grades would give me a better chance to win scholarships, which are very important in my case. Another advise would be that I needed to avoid getting pregnant in high school, because having a baby makes it harder to make a less stressfull transition from high school to college or university, and also harder to focus only on school. Last but not least would be that I should take time to fill scholarships while I was in high school and take advantage of the many programs willing to help with the transition from high school to college or university.

Meghann

The advice I would give to my 'highschool' self is to straighten up! Your highschool grades and schooling habits matter. In highschool I was constantly 'having fun' and not worrying about the future. I feel that I am so much more mature now and I wish I would of known what I know now.

Natasha

I would tell myself to be ready for a HUGE reality check. College assignments are definately more intense than high school ones, and the responsibility levels increase immensly. I could go on with a lot more negativity, but instead I would finish up with some of the positive transitions. You FINALLY will be treated like an adult at college, and you get the freedom to choose what classes you want to take. I would then tell myself that college is AWESOME and that I will love it!

Isha

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself about college life, the first thing I would inform myself would be about deadlines. College runs on deadlines. Scholarships, finanical aid, applications, and all school work is created with a specfic deadline. In high school, you may get a few days extra but it doesnt work in college. All professors have deadlines for assignments and tests. Another thing to keep in mind would be to be on time. Being on time for class is mandatory. If you come late serveral times the professor can take you out of the class. However, the transition can be easy if you get involved and speak with other classmates or professors and counselors. Getting involved in various clubs will make the college experience worth while. In addition gettin to know the adminstration will be a big help in planning and completing you years at college.

I wanted to study and possibly join the Orthodox Church when I was a senior in High School, but peers intimidated me and I remained protestant. I did eventually convert to Orthodox Christianity and if I could time travel back to my senior year, I would tell myself to go ahead and do it then. I would tell myself to go to Hellenic College and study Religion. That is what I am trying to do now. Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology, the Greek Orthodox seminary, is also on the same campus. I want to study at Holy Cross after completing undergraduate studies. With my bishop's blessing, hopefully that will happen. I was not passionate about anything except serving my selfish desires until I joined the Orthodox Church. After that I began to have a desire to serve the Church in a higher capacity.

Many people, young and old, often find it difficult to ask for help. As a senior in high school, I was very timid when it came to asking my guidance counselor for advice. Now that I have begun to experience college life and all of the changes that come along with it, I realize that asking for help is vital. Whether it?s asking a guidance counselor about classes, or seeking help from a classmate in algebra, there is nothing to be embarrassed about?everybody needs help. It may seem scary or like the world is crashing down upon you, but what could result from not seeking help could be even worse. Just remember that guidance counselors are there especially for you.

Shanice

Knowing what I know now about college and making the transition, I would definitely go back to myself as a highschool senior and encourage myself to take as many college courses in high school as i could. not only would this have equiped me more to handle the work load when i did actually get to college, and allow me to save money. by taking classes as a dual enrolled student, you save money on those general education classes and you graduate with a highschool diploma and most of your general education classes completed. This is the best advice i would give myself as a high school senior because now that im in college i wish someone would have encouraged me to do so when i was a high school senior.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and save up money. I would also talk about how different everything is from high school and how much better it is. I would also advise to not get too close with people in high school because it is hard to find people that you know at college (is a big campus with many buildings). I would advise to make sure to turn in everything the college needs before its time to register for classes. Also to make sure to figure out what major I want as soon as possible because the classes you take depend on it. I wouls also say that I need to make sure that I'm going to put college first and start as soon as possible.

If I had the chance to go back to my senior year and was given advice that i know now. I would tell myself that i need to pay attention in all of my classes, don't wait until the lasst minute to decied you want to go to college. Also i would say, don't get caught up in all the trends like skipping school and not doing home work because you think the school work dont matter. I learned the hard way that it does matter. Your junior and senior year conts the most. I would also say that if you try hard enough you can do anything you want to. Don't be afraid to get a rejection letter from a college. I would also say, the transition is not going to be easy. You are not goingto get reminders about when assigments are due. But everybody knows that scientits haven't created a time machine.

Sosha

Knowing what I know now, I would have took the tests (ACT/SAT) a lot sooner than I did, and I would have studied every minute for them. I would have told myself to start dual enrollment earlier than I did and to take more classes, as many as I could handle. The transition isn't as hard as it sounds, just learn to adjust. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible and to make sure that I made every day count of my last year in High School. I would tell myself how to prepare for my future, how to study and focus, and what to expect. I would definately make sure to tell myself not to be afraid or to hesitate, to go right on in and face it like I've done my whole life, and don't let anything or anyone get in the way.

Delana

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to graduate early just to get out in the world and make money. I would tell myself that a college education would be more beneficial to me than starting a full time job before I'm ready. I would give myself tips on finding scholarships, tell myself to look into student loans carefully, and secure my future at an early age, and not wait as long as I have to do so. Times are hard now days, and employers are lookin for qualified applicants for jobs, not someone without the proper experience, so I'd tell myself to make sure to take advantage of college earlier, than later.

Stacy

If i could go back and change anything about high school life I would have to give myself advice on math. You see all threw the years they teach you in school with a caculator in math. When you get to college you cant use them caculators in many math classes you have to know how to work the problems out and show the work on how you got your answer. The advice i would of gave my self is learn how to do it with out a caculator, I wish i had back in high school because in college today i struggle on trying to figure it out how to write the formulas an how the answer was coming out. Thats what happens when they teach you in basic middle an high school to do every thing with caculator. To this day i pass on the advice to my 14 yr old daughter who is in high school trying to do everything with caculator, told her not to use it work it out on paper cause when you get to college there is no caculators to do it for you.

Wow, do-over as a senior, what I wouldn't give to go back and have this chat with myself. I would set myself down and say listen: you need to go directly to college and become the business person you want to become. I would say you shoudn't wait, because the money you make now won't be there later, but your education will. I would also tell myself that going back to school as you get older only gets harder, and it is better to go to college right after high school while your brain is young and fresh, and you don't have the life issues that come with age to deal with and try to learn at the same time. I would certainly be kicking myself in the rump and getting that education instead of going through 2 layoffs in less than 5 years, just to land in school where I should have been many years ago.

tania

Do not stop at High school go experience life. The best time that you will have will be your time in school . Finish your studies if it takes 5 years or 6 go for it those years will fly by so fast that will be surprised after you graduate then you can start paying back your student loans. Ouch.

Kourtni

If I could go back in time and give myself advice on collage, I would have told myself to get started in the application process earlier, there's not just a college application but there's financial aid and all of these scholarships. Unfortunatly when I tried to get scholarships it was to late, so i would have encouraged myself to get up and stop acting like I had all the time in the world. Obviously in reality there isn't as much time as I thought, and i wish i could go back in time and been more serious about my education, as serious as i am now.

Francisco

I would tell my self to go ahead and join the ROTC program instead of waiting 2 years. I am enjoying the program so much and i regret not doing it earlier. I would also encourage my self to volunteer at places like The Centers, Kimberli's cottage or even the hopital instead of working at a restaurant. I would have been able to have the 2 year experience necesary to get a part--time job that was going to pay me really good while still let me go through college. Also, I would have taken more classes which would have allowed me to graduate from Central Florida Community College a Year early with still two degrees like I am doing now.

Gregory

If I am college student and I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would do a lot of things different. The first thing I changing is I would want to be more responsible and more prompt with my dates and events. In college dates are the most important part of college, you have to be very organized with your dates and time so you don?t miss and important event. Another thing that I would change is that I would let seniors when to go to college. The best time to do it is right after high school while you?re still in the swing of thing. Therefore you don?t get lazy and you?re still in the groove to continue your education. Another Point I want to hit is make sure that you complete all of home on time, in college your professors are really strict with not accepting late work.

Ones personality and self understanding are important when making the transition from highschool student, to college student. Personally, I would tell myself to be more assertive. Its not always an easy transition to make, especially when realizing that no ones going to hold your hand. In highschool, my teachers, advisors, and family were always there to make the hard choices for me. The truth is, I hate making decisions, and thats all I'm doing now that I'm in college! Serious issues that I personally never even considered before, started to arise such as financial aid (what, I have to pay?), and choosing a major (I just want to be a cool doctor!), and deciding which classes to take and in what order (how about I take all the easy classes now and the hard ones later....). I honestly made alot of mistakes along the road. Especially, the taking the hard classes at the end(yikes!). So, if I could talk to my young, nieve self, I would say, "Jessica, actually do some research on college! Apply for a scholarship, know whats expected of you, and dont wait until the last semester to take five, 4 credit classes!

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself about college and everything that comes into play with classes, books, teachers, and just general knowledge about the schools that are out there, I would have told myself to become very familiar with everything that I possibly could about each school. To look into the programs that they have, the types of classes they offered, and to become more familiar with the way their admissions office worked. All of these details are very important and as a senior in high school, a lot of times your guidance counselor doesn't prepare you quite as well as they think they have. There is a lot more that goes into even the application process than people expect so it is very important to do as much research as possible!

If I had the opportunity to go back and talk with myself as a high school senior getting ready to transition into the college life I would tell myself that all the responsablity belongs to me, I am held accountable for everything. I would also tell myself that the first year in college is the easiest one to lose focus in because of the new feeling of freedom that it comes with, but it is also a very important year because, if you start out poorly then you are creating a hole that you will eventually have to dig yourself out of, but if you start out doing well, then you are setting that standard and level of studying for yourself. So, if Icould go back and advise myself or any other high school senior on the transition, I would tell them to work hard, stay focus, and do not let this new found freedom interfere and hinder the education that your paying for.

Jesheare

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would make sure to stress the importance and seriousness of the entire college experience. I would reinforce my idea that college is a very big social networking environment and the opportunity to experience independence. However, I would also relate the fact that attending college is a privilege and is not to be taken lightly. I would assert myself and encourage myself that I could not only succeed but excel. It only takes motivation, encouragement, persistence, and resilience. I would insist that I develop good study habits and learn to manage my time. Overall, I think the most important thing I would try to relate is that transitioning to college is not something to be frightened of. It is a time to rejoice in your accomplishments and look forward to bigger challenges and better achievements as you map your road to success as you define it.

Cindy

I would tell myself that it is far more important to finish school and have a well established career before even thinking about marriage and children. I would tell myself to enjoy the experience and not to worry so much about growing up too fast.

Krystel

Develop and exercise a study plan and good focusing habits to prepare for exams. Make more time to get better informed about all the universities out there. Use all the recourses available for scholarship opportunities, even as little as it might seem it all helps in the end. Enjoy every moment because it will not occur again. Cultivate all the true friendships and let go of all the unnecessary in life. Do not make things harder than what they have to be. Try to see the big picture of things and always planned a head in life. Do not dull on things going the other way just move on and try to avoid the same obstacles in life. Everything s comes in time so do not be so rushed to grow up and do big people things because with more freedom comes more responsibilities. Try to understand parents more and if it?s still hard, just put yourself in their shoes and try to imagine how hard it truly is. Life and breath every moment like was the last cause honestly is really is.

Sally

The advice I would give myself prior to going into college would be to be sure to have fun and enjoy my classes. This is the chance you have to become who you will be for the rest of your life. Make it what you want it to be. You will get a lot of learning from the classroom, but even more of your life learning will be from interacting with other students outside of school. You will learn by seeing other peoples' mistakes and how they handle them. The most important piece of advice is to have fun discovering who you are and what you want to become!