College of Charleston Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for College of Charleston

Baylin

I think it would be better if there were no pandemic restrictions. As a freshman, it is difficult to meet people when we don't have many classes to actually go to and there are no orientation activities. I have made some good friends though and look forward to next semester.

David

I believe that the College of Charleston is a nice place to be, especially for me. It has introduced to like minded friends, wonderful teachers, and good experiences during the my time. I would overall tell others that the College of Charleston is the place to be.

Allison

The College of Charleston gives back to its students the amount of work they put in. One can do very well academically if they put in a lot of effort and still do okay if not. Socially, the college if very diverse with many students from many walks of life. Greek life is very present, but not essential to having a social life. Parties are abundant and so are other opportunities to explore the area on and off campus. Charleston is a very pretty, historic, and livable city and the college plays a large role in the community. There truly is something for everyone.

Noah

College of Charleston is a great place for those pursuing business majors, art-related majors, and much more. The campus is very inviting, with something always going on, and sports functions are often. The food provided by the college isn't the best, but there are plenty of great places to eat and shop right on King St.

Laura

College of Charleston is the melting pot of all colleges. To elaborate on this much more clearly, I must say that CofC has a little bit of and more of everything that most colleges provide. The school's location is prime because it is ten minutes away from the beach, one block from major shopping and a lively nightlife, and very close together which invites a close knit environment for students. Although there is not football team, THE American sport, there is a very talented basketball team that is always cheered on by their peers. Education is always a priority for the students due to the close proximity to the campus at almost all times. CofC is an amazing school with unique characteristics.

Gabrielle

I enjoy being a student here. I work for the college and am active in several clubs. I have had many opportunities while being a student here. I am very glad that I decided to come here . I really enjoyed their freshman "first year experience" course, it opened many doors for me and I gained many friendships.

Overall, I really enjoy the College of Charleston! I came to South Carolina from New York because Charleston had the resources and opportunities that I was looking for in a college. I am excited to see what the college has to offer after I graduate.

MaHalie

College of Charleston is a great school for anyone who is willing to put in the work. There are plenty of places to study and relax and pretty amazing sights to see. The city has been rated the #1 city in the world for the past two years and it is most definitely true. The college holds so much history and there is something new outside of class to learn every day.

It's a great school. It's great because the location is gorgeous. Even though it is in the middle of a busy tourist town, no one really comes into campus or even knows where the College is. The faculty are very accessible and trustworthy. There are a lot of groups you can join that will expand your mind.

Brittnany

I love CofC! It is a great atmosphere, and a beautiful campus! Students are friendly, and it is easy and great to make long lasting friendships! Everyone is always looking out for each other. It is a very liberal school, so it is a very safe school in terms of both campus violence and being open to different personalities, sexualities, and everything in between. Professors are always ready to help and get to know students on a personal level. In the classroom and outside of the classroom! It's a fantastic school, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small, but not too small, school!

Imani

The campus is a very beautiful and historic place to be. The maintenance of the buildings could be better, however it is still a place to love and feel comfy. There are a plethora of opportunities to make friends, feel involved and feel at home. Also, the school takes all levels of preparation to keep the campus a safe and productive environment.

LilaGrace

I personally love the College of Charleston, I feel like I can be whoever I want to be here. Everyone is so nice a friendly, everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. The professors are very helpful and make sure you understand. We have a lot of security so you always feel safe no matter what time it is.

Elisabeth

College of Charleston, nestled in the remarkably charming city of Charleston, South Carolina, is an institution that maintains a reputation of unparalleled culture and tradition. What The College lacks in sports and facilities, it makes up for in magnificent beaches, electric night life, and captivating character. Although The College may not have the biggest campus, a die-hard athletic following, or inexpensive housing options, the vibe from the city is unlike anywhere else. At what other college would it be commonplace to see a horse-drawn carriage while walking to class? The close proximity of several beaches also allows students to relax and unwind in the sand on a regular basis. However, if you're looking for an affordable school, this is not the place. Not only are financial assistance and scholarships scarce, but the cost of living in Charleston is (understandably) rather excessive. College of Charleston has its pros and cons just like any other school, after one visit, you will surely understand why so many students choose to spend their college years in this culturally rich, inviting, and delightfully elegant little town.

Joshua

I love it.

Jonathan

An overall great school. It hasn't great academics and athletics. Having a college downtown is also very cool and interesting. There are mostly good professors. They want you to succeed in their courses always tell you to visit office hours if you are struggling. There are also many dining choices.

Nautica

It is overall a pretty good school. I would recommend it if you want to go to a medium sized school. There is not a whole lot minorities and not that much diversity. College of Charleston is located downtown so there is almost always something to do or explore.

Nykia

It is a great environment and I really enjoy the school. The professors are great and are always willing to help. There are many opportunities on campus for all different kinds of students. I have learned a lot my first year here at the College of Charleston and I can't wait to see what the rest of my three years have in store for me.

Erica

College of Charleston is an amazing school we’re located at the heart of Charleston and there is always something to do. Starting with dining halls they are amazing, and yes, there are great vegetarian and vegan options as well. Charleston is known for having great food, and the dining halls definitely upholds that reputation. Next the residence halls, they aren’t aren’t five stars accommodations, but they Still have a lot to offer. For the females, Buist Rivers (All Female dormitory) is the cheapest, however, I wouldn’t allow that to be a first chose. There is always something wrong with showers, washers/dryers, Ac’s, etc (you get the picture). But once you get past that, everything else is beautiful! The class sizes are perfect, the professors always make themselves available for meetings and there are TONS of on campus resources that are included with your tuition. Lastly, being of a minority there are a lot of topics I wish I was aware of during the process. But do not think you are alone; there are plenty of clubs and organizations that speak out against injustices throughout the campus. We are definitely getting things done to make the college an even more superb college.

Leila

College of Charleston is the perfect mix of city and school. You have every kind of shopping, food, and play right where you need it. Students are kind, but some faculty tend to seem unhappy and it is upsetting as someone who is loyal to all of her peers. Campus is in a great location; however, the high cost of the school does not reflect the overall experience.

Kendall

Almost completing my first semester at the College of Charleston, it has definitely been a life-changing experience. The expenses are a headache, but it comes with the territory. The people here are really nice and resourceful. Professors are fair and are always willing to help if you need it. At the same time, nothing is easy. If you want all A's, you need to put in all A effort. College is what is you make it. You can either enjoy and learn from it, or you can pursue another option.

Peach

Nice party venue!!

Haley

Beautiful campus and most professors care about the students. It's medium size and right in the middle of downtown so there is plenty to do. The College is very interactive and offers many clubs and organizations to join and the people are very friendly.

The College of Charleston offers an amazing experience. The historic scenery of Charleston makes the campus beautiful. The sidewalks can get a little cramped between classes and could use some updating but other than that the school is beautiful. There are plenty of different classes to choose from which makes it easier to discover your “life’s calling”, and there are always extracurricular activities going on. The professors are great for the most part, there are some I wouldn’t recommend, but that’s how every school is.

The College of Charleston is not an ordinary institution. It is an inconceivable cluster of deep thinking and liberal action. The promotion of the school's "Boundless" campaign sets the tone for the belief that anything is attainable. The school stands on promise, and my heart lies within it. From teachers who unexaggeratingly put their blood, sweat, and tears into their lectures for student success to peers and staff that keep the college running smoothly, the College of Charleston is responsible for producing world class citizens. Importantly, I am proud to be a Cougar!

Brandon

When I first arrived in South Carolina I made the choice to attend a public school such as USC. In opposition, Charleston is more privatized and has more of a historical significance to the state of South Carolina. Truth be told, Charleston is the original capitol, and is where the first state house was established. The city lives up to its reputation as one of the greatest in the nation.

Victoria

The College of Charleston is a one of a kind type of college. The College is in one of the best tourist cities in America and is surrounded by some of the best shops, clothing stores, and restaurants today. The College of Charleston is well rounded in diversity and has great facilities to offer students who live on and off campus.

Katherine

I consider it unlivable. The food is terrible, and the healthy diet I kept over highschool has gone out the window because of the sacrifices I must make in order to nourish my body. The college offers healthy options, but they are not at all palatable and often make me feel sick. I go home every weekend just so I can eat right and survive mentally. Furthermore, the dorms have mold, and as a result, I am constantly having an allergic reaction. Thus, I feel sick every day that I'm here. The saving grace of the college would have to be the teachers, however. Those in the honors college are enthusiastic and intelligent, and always have their doors open to you for extra help. Their main goal is comprehension in the students, which they achieve. And finally, the best thing is the Honors college's push for students to begin research as soon as possible. This will no doubt be a great benefit in the future of the students' careers. As long as you're willing to live off campus, pay the high price for parking, and get groceries on your own, it may be worth it.

Jordan

College of Charleston is its own world. Many people haven't heard of the school but surprisingly many fall in love with it. College of Charleston is a niche where politics fly wild and parties fly wilder. Art is the center point, but branching out into STEM majors is easily accessible and abundant with resources. Plus, its in the heart of the low country with historical value everywhere you look. Go Cougars baby!

Cortney

I like the college I personally don't like the people. This could be a bias opinion being that I am from the north and the south was a huge culture shock for me. The professors are all excellent and it's a great school academically. However, if I could go back in time I wouldn't have attended this school because of the unfriendliness of fellow students. I'm not saying its all southern people, there are a ton of students from the north, however they are all only interested in their Greek Life status. Greek Life is very unwelcoming unless you're from the south, so making friends is hard here and the girls are very judging. Food, ideals, and ultimately everything about this city was a big difference for me and I found myself really missing home a lot. Also the police here are always trying to give out tickets for underage drinking. The bar scene is huge here (more bars than frat parties) and I thankfully never got a ticket but it is common for students to get about 4 or 5 MPIs (minor in possession). This made it extremely terrifying to go out and I think a lot of the police targeted the college students which made the one of part of college that is suppose to be enjoyable actually miserable. If you are considering this school I would seriously reconsider. The pretty city is deceiving, I recommend many other schools before this one.

Essence

College of Charleston is known for being an incredible liberal arts school that prides in students having a wide range of instruction.

Alex

College of Charleston is a warming place, a place that will make you call it home. The atmosphere here is unlike any other (I’ve experienced several other schools). The food here is to die for so PLEASE stay active with the multiple gyms we offer to students! Housing is great but the best thing about, everything you could ever need that range from classes, food, parking, events, fitness, ect. Is at most 5-10 minutes away. All my classes are less than a mile from where I Live. Go Charleston! Cougars have more fun anyway:-)

I am a junior at the College of Charleston, and when I came in as a Freshman I did not like it as much as I thought I would. I came from Chicago, so it was a big transition to a smaller city like Charleston, but after a little while I started to love it. I am so glad I chose C of C, and am majoring in Historic Preservation and Community Planning and am double minoring in Urban Studies and Hospitality and Tour Management. It is an amazing school with great opportunities, and a ton of diverse majors and clubs.

It is a big change if you are not used to a city experience, but all in all it has been a great experience. The class sizes are not too big and I see my professors walking around campus a lot and they always love to stop and chat. Not to mention you are in Charleston and the shops, restaurants, and beach cannot compare to any other school. This city was named the best in the country for two years running, and going to school here makes it seem like you are on a vacation for four years of your life.

D

College of Charleston is located in a nice area, but it is not what I expected. When I came here, I thought I was going to enjoy it and experience many new things. The college has let me down with the lack of diversity. Many people I have met are talking about transferring to a different college for the Fall of 2017.

DREELE

I LOVE ATTENDING COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE . I FEEL SO BLESSED TO BE THERE AND AS A BASKETBALL PLAYER THE SCHOOL SPIRIT IS OFF THE CHARTS. AND THE TEACHERS ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WANT ME TO BE SUCCESSFUL. I WOULD RECCOMEND COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON TO ANYONE WHO ASK ME ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE.

Alexis

I live in Charleston, work 2 jobs and hold a 4.2 at my High School. I will be attending this college in the Fall and I am very excited, it was my first chose and I'm happy to be a part of the College of Charleston. I will be able to keep my jobs be close to my family and enjoy the life of on campus living and meeting new people.

Mikayla

It is a beautiful campus, with lots to do with the student body all around. Everyone is helpful, and the community is great. It is in the middle of downtown Charleston, so there is lots of food and shops to see. Teachers are amazing, and always offer to help with anything. The class sizes are smaller, so it leads to a more personal feeling in class.

Tana'ya

the campus is just as beautiful as those attending the facility. No matter where you go there's an opportunity​ to meet people and figure out just how you fit in. There are clubs for just about anything even a cheese club so I'm sure you'll find your place.

Payton

I absolutely love the College of Charleston. I love the gorgeous campus, I love how I am integrated with the city so there is so much to do, and I love how accepting the community is. Just a while back, there was a big protest that went viral due to a student using racial slurs and it was just great that everybody came together. I feel safe and at home here. I truly believe I belong here.

Alyssa

Very clean facility and the staff is very helpful. I am currently enrolled in CofC but have not attended any classes on campus. I have many friends that currently attend the campus and enjoy it. Also there are very many places to sit outside peacefully and study.

Kalyn

I love the College of Charleston! It was an amazing place to dive into the college atmosphere. I've learned so many things, and also a lot about myself. I have also made so many lasting friendships. The teachers, faculty, and facilities are amazing. I couldn't have picked a better place to experience my first year of college.

Kelsey

With all of its diverse aspects, it's difficult to give an exact overall opinion of the College of Charleston. But as far as I know, my experience here has been mostly well. There are a few things that could use improvement, but altogether, I have had an enriching time.

Bradley

I have greatly enjoyed my time at the college of Charleston. The professors are very caring and strive to get students to learn the material, even the more difficult classes. Charleston has a lot to provide students whether it be for school or leisure activity.

Paola

At first, College of Charleston was just a place I needed to go to get my degree and move on with my life. Now that I am soon to graduate, it has become a place that I love and cherish. The professors are very helpful and willing to go the extra mile for you and the advisors are great. The campus and the programs are great too. Cofc offers study abroad programs, which I have enrolled for Spring 2017- Cuba, and I cannot wait to learn more about the culture and history. Surrounding the College of Charleston, there are many shopping places to chose from, a variety of restaurants and historic buildings. I would definitely recommend this college because not only will you earn your degree, but you will also gain new experiences.

Diana

I love the College of Charleston. It’s a very diverse environment. The professors, for the most part, are easy to connect with. Like anywhere, you’ll find incredibly smart kids. You’ll find really lousy ones. You’ll find very sweet people. Some of the classes are a slight joke, but are easy to engage in.

There are good and bad parts, same as any school, but I love it here. The professors care, the campus is beautiful, and there’s always something to do. Whether you’re an arts major or a STEM major there are amazing programs here for you. It’s my favorite place to be and I’ve never regretted it.

Chyre

The people are somewhat chill. A lot of people work out clothes (but don't actually work out.) Not very "southern hospitality" like. It's sort of a divided school. It seems like everyone has their group of friends and that the 6 degrees of separation theory might work if we're lucky.

Kaitlin

It's a really great school for those who don't enjoy the giant schools. It's really easy to make friends because the average class size is around 60 people, some have upwards of 90. The food is really good, two options are buffet style and one is a order and wait. There's plenty to do off campus by walking a single street over.

Breyanna

I believe that the College of Charleston is a perfect place for someone to study what they love and be able to find themselves in the process.

In all honesty, the College of Charleston is a fine academic institution; once you are well into your major, the class sizes are small, and the professors have office hours at least twice a week, so there is rarely ever a problem regarding communication between students and professors. Where the College's problems lie are in its location and function as a social institution. The College's campus sits in the heart of downtown Charleston, a bustling tourist destination with very little parking availability for the people who need it most: the students. And as a social institution, which all colleges and universities are, the College is lacking in racial diversity within the student and faculty population. Students of color comprise about 20% of the student population, meaning that if you are student of color, you will most likely be the only one in most of your classes. There is also the issue of the racial incidents that continue to happen on campus, especially around Halloween time, with little meaningful consequence for the perpetrators. It can be incredibly frustrating, but with the installation of a new President, there may yet be hope for improvement.