Glen Ellyn, IL
College of DuPage

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of DuPage

Corarener

Having a sibling that is in highschool, I find myself telling her the things that I would have told myself. If I could back I would initially say that highschool is important. The grades you make, the sports, and activities you get involved in all play a part in how you interact in college, and sometimes even what school you choose. Most of my issues came around junior year when I became nervous about coming to ''the end''. I would simply tell myself that it is ''the end''of highschool, but the beginning of a new stage of my life, one that will stick with me and really mold me to the person that I want to be. Lastly I would point out that it does not matter whether I decide to go out of state, a junior college first (or only), or a big university. The only thing that matters is if I am happy because I am going to school for me and no one else. I would reiterate that what works for some, may not work for others. I would have set and researched more and mapped out a plan that I was confident with.

I feel that because it is a junior college, that no one is assigned a counselor, therefore you constantly must talk with someone that is not familarized with your situation. Also the financial aid office is run by young adults, or the students that are there as well which is frustrating because they only read what they know from a computer or packet; which in the long run does not help me out that much.

The fact that campus is very nice. It makes you feel better when you go to a college that still gives off the feel of a university. There are so many different activities to get into and I love that.

Alexis

First I would have told myself to apply earlier than 4 months before the semester began, and see a counselor to help me pick out classes. I would have told myself to only take Gen Ed classes the first year so if I chose my mind about my major (which I did) that I would lose money and credits on unessecary classes.

Attending a community college, chances are you live locally, so you can experience what the college experience is like without going to far from home or paying thousands of dollars more at a four year school. You can get your associates or just do gen ed studies and transfer. If you then graduate from a four year school, employers have no way of knowing you attended community college. And being at one of the best community colleges in the country, you get a good education for a decent price, and a leg up on other applicants to four year schools.

To be completely honest, there is nothing I can think of that really bugs me about my school. Besides my daily 11 min 30-40 minute commute and the overpriced school books, I like my school a lot.

Catherine

Good education for a lot less money.

Good education for a lot less money.

I went to a small, christian high school. I would say that no matter what you decide, prepare yourself for life outside of a christian community. It is difficult to live out your faith outside of the community of christian students and friends. It is important that we prepare for the differences in lifestyles between believers and nonbelievers, or even people of different beliefs. Also, I would tell myself to do exactly what I did. Go to community college first. You get the chance to go to college but still be at home and transition into life after high school. Next year I will be going to a university farther away and I have had the experience of going to college under the safety of my home life. The fact that my first year only cost $5,000 was a bonus for my parents. I got a good education for a very reasonable amount of money, and, because I stayed at home, also had a year of growing into college life and a year of deciding my future without paying a lot of money.

Anthony

My classmates have actually varied in their general attitude depending on there major. I have noticed that students in the Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering curriculum have been more willing to cooperate and work together for a greater understanding on the subjects. In classes such as speech, English, economics, philosophy, etc. students simply wish to keep to themselves and don't bother tor reach to others to receive or give aid. i just find it surprising how different the attitudes of student differ from major to major.

If you plan on going to a community college then transferring to a university. Pick your classes wisely and make sure they transfer correctly. Remember even though there are more general classes to choose from, everyone has to take them so they fill up fast. Register for you classes early then work with your schedule. This would allow you to make sure you have the necessary classes in despite some scheduling issues. Also remember certain classes have sequences so you cannot just jump in the middle. If you think you know the subject well in enough, see if the school has a proficiency test, this will save you money and time. Aside from Registering make sure you make your schedule wisely, plan breaks so you can eat, work, and rest. These sessions will be a boon for homework and will allow your grades to rise, while giving you time to relax with friends and keep a social life outside of school. With these tips it will definitely held you have an enjoyable college experience.

I wish i knew how to fully utilize financial aid before starting school. i now know that its best to find the books to be used in class and buy them ahead online. one other skill i wish i knew was how to effectively balance a class schedule and a work schedule. Due to the difficulty of the courses I barely have any free time in which i could plan the next semester, prepare for a transfer , or even set aside a decent amount of personal time for family and friends. I believe scheduling skills are necessary for any student.

Mahjabeen

My classmates are very diverse.

My classmates are very diverse.

I would tell myself not to be nervous because everyone is so friendly and the teachers make the class more comfortable for everyone.

College of DuPage is a really reputed college. There is nothing I wish I had known before I came. I am glad I chose C.O.D.

Zach

The College of DuPage students are either cost-conscious and intelligent, or burned out and unmotivated.

The College of DuPage is a very cost effective school that has a large amount of courses available. I have been attending for almost two years, and have no debt so far. It is a commuter campus, as there are no dorms. It is not really known for its school spirit, however, as the student body is too large to be cohesive and many students were surprised upon finding out the school actually had a mascot.

Don't worry about it so much. Enjoy senior year, because it wont be that easy for a while. College is fun and new, but definitely a different experience than high school. Enjoy the final weeks of high school, because despite what you're saying to yourself now, you're gonna be missing these opportunities, schedules, and classes in a few months.

Natalie

I would tell myself that just because you test into a class doesnt mean you are ready for that class. I would also say that even though it seems like a class is easy and you are doing good you may be suprised at what classes you get poor grades in and what classes you get higher grades on. Some of my classes I could totally blow off and get an A and other I worked super hard and got a B or C. I would also tell myself to recognize early if you are not gonna pass the class. There is no sense in continuing a class that you have no chance at passing and eventualy it will be to late to withdraw and you will be stuck with that F on your transcript.

Because it is a commuter 2-year school you dont really make many friends. You don't get the typical college experience here. Most students seem to just come for classes and then go home. There are clubs and organizations but the times conflict with class times or are not convenient for when you are in school.

Anyone who is not driven to attend college should not attend here because teachers really leave the work up to you. They don't care if you dont come to class or dont hand in homework. They wont yell at you they will just lower your grade or kick you out of the class.

Matthew

I would tell myself to work harder than ever and study harder than ever to perpare myself. I would manage my time better to get used to college life and thank my teachers for a great 4 years.

I wish I would have known how great of a school it really was and how awesome all the teachers are. I wish I would have known how great all the people were and the awesome opprotunities I have no gained. Now that I do know this I regret no decisons I have made throughout my time at College of DuPage.

I think anyone should attend this school. College of DuPage has so many different types of people which makes it very easy to find people that you get allong with. Just because it is a junior college does not make anyone dumber or smarter than someone who goes to a university. You get challenged in all your classes which will set me up for when I transfer to a university.

Brian

Well now, that is a very loaded question. To be able to go back into time, and speak to my younger, dumber self.. That's a hell of an opportunity. Firstly, I think I would punch myself in the face. Two years ago I was a different individual, a more dislikable individual. I would tell myself that school isn't just another thing your parents put you through because of their wishes. Back then, I didn't quite grasp the fact that doing well in school was something I wanted to do for myself, not for my parents. In addition to that tid-bit of advice, I would proceed to tell myself to prepare to be immersed in a setting of complete strangers, each having a cornucopia of ideas ranging from common-ground (between he/she and myself), to utter "alien-ness." I would also have to add that the transition into college, for it to be smooth, and painless, is best faced with an open mind. The varying perspectives of the many individuals I have met have helped me to not only learn about my peers, but about myself as well, by comparing those ideas/views against my own.

The best thing about my school would have to be its conveniency. Very close to home, and relatively inexpensive.

Unfortunately, I don't have much reason to brag about my school. Community college isn't the most exciting in the world.

Bailey

It is one of the best community colleges.

It is one of the best community colleges.

I would advise myself not to go to such an expensive school. I spent my first year at a 4 year school and the tuition was way high. The classes are exactly the same only the ones I am taking now are cheaper.

A student that should not attend this school is someone that wants to get the campus life. By campus life I mean living in the dorms with roommates and all the good and bad that comes with it.

College of DuPage administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.