Glen Ellyn, IL
College of DuPage

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of DuPage

Dave

A community college is an unlikely place to find a great graphic design program, but somehow the College of DuPage has managed to wrangle together a tightly knit group of extremely passionate and talented teachers. They are committed to bringing us the best design education they can possible fit into a two-year program, so they waste no time in their instruction and they are never hesitant to provide personal guidance. I plan on transferring to a four-year school next fall, and they tell me that C.O.D. transfer students are among the best they have.

I have learned a few guidelines to be a successful student as well as a happy person. First, make friends with everyone. Smile every time you enter a room, say hello, and try to meet everyone on the first day. Remember everyone's name. Don't talk at people, get them to talk about themselves. Listen to them. This is your community, love them. They will love you. Second, everything you do for the first time will suck. Start new things without fear, and keep doing them until you don't suck. This is how you become good. A good motto I've heard: Fail Harder. Third, never apologize or be ashamed of the things you like. Being strange is how new trends are started. Being the same is how old trends die. Fourth, throw great parties. Invite everyone. Be a good host, since you already know everyone, introduce people. Fifth, people will steal ideas from you. Don't be angry, be flattered. It means you have good ideas. Sixth, get things done. Anyone can start a project, but perfectionists and lazy people can never finish. Nothing is perfect, so finish and move on to the next project.

Initially, I thought I would like to have discovered my passion for graphic design before I started school, but when I think about it, the path to discovering my calling was an invaluable part of my life. Instead, I wish I could have been more assured that the risks I took were worthwhile. A lot of people encourage you to follow your dreams, but there is always a sense of doubt that holds you back. If I could do it over, I would erase that doubt knowing that even the mistakes are part of the path.

Brandon

I would tell myself to begin filling out college applications as soon as my junior year of high school. Next, I would schedule campus visits to see what campus life was like and how the students are. I would tell my senior self to fill out as many scholarships as I could, making it a full-time job, to take the pressure off myself in paying a full tuition. Encouraging myself to keep good grades will also help with scholarship aid. More advice I would give myself is to work hard all the way up to graduation. The college transition was the hardest part for me. I would engourage myself to build long, lasting friendships and be around the right people. Keep your head straight and let nothing get in the way of your career goals. Study hard and that will lead to success. People will try to bring you down, but it is your job to shove them aside and focus on education. Life doesn't give handouts, you have to earn your way. In conclusion, I would say to be actively involved in college groups and get a campus job because someone could be a reference.

Like many colleges or universities, schools have pros and cons. Currently, The College of DuPage is undergoing a construction and renovation project. Campus construction provides limited parking, reduced pedestrian routes, and loud noises during classes. I had a class moved across campus because the noise levels were too loud in my other home room. The construction will provide a better place to learn, but it must be done over holiday breaks. I now have trouble parking and must take into account traffic delays, so I won't be late for classes. Lastly, building closings cause congested hallways.

The College of DuPage provides a high-level education for a fraction of the cost compared to other universities. Students who are looking to get a head start without breaking their bank accounts should attend COD. DuPage is a starting point for young adults or older adults who may have suspended their education or are looking to boost their resumes. Students who are looking to make good friends, experience campus life, gain work experience, and have a positive learning environment must attend the College of Dupage. In closing, students with determination, hard-work ethic, and perseverance should attend this college.

Kimberly

My classmates at COD come from all walks of life: I have taken an experiential speech class 18-67 year olds, my music stand partner in band is married with kids, and I have sat around between classes playing drums with students from South Africa, Egypt, and Japan.

Get involved in school- it makes all the difference. Even if none of the clubs look appealing, the people in the oasis lounge seem a bit odd, and getting a job in the library caf? seems too daunting, just hope for the best and put yourself out there. You will meet people from every walk of life who will open your eyes to the world more than you ever thought possible from a home-town community college. In short, you will love going to school.

It is frustrating that some people attend COD with the mindset ?I only have to sit in class another 45 minutes and then I can go home,? when there are so many different people to meet and fantastic opportunities available if only they reach out.

Amir

College of DuPage is best known for transfering credits to the school of the students chosing. Many people attend College of DuPage before going to a four-year university because they want to receive their associates degree first and then transfer; that way there is no worry over whether or not the credits transferred or not because every college has to except an associates degree. College of DuPage does an excellent job with preparing students and transferring classes to the university they wish to attend.

If I could go back in time and was able to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have definitely told myself to not slack off even a little bit. Most high school seniors go into that year thinking that since they have already been accepted into the university of their choice that they don't have to try as hard for the remainder of that year. What they are not aware of is if their grades slip significantly then the college can choose to not accept them. Another scenario is that the student won't be as eligible for scholarship money as they would have been if they had kept up the hard work an continued to push themselves until the year was completely over with. I would have also told myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could because that's just more chances that an individual has to receive free money.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is looking for direction, someone that has ambition to pursue higher learning but is not quite sure of their major just yet and needs that extra push before attending the four-year university of their choice. College of DuPage is by no means a push over community college; it provides the same classes as most four-year universities and individuals attending should have the same drive as they would at the college of their choice. People attending should take the two years very seriously.

Corarener

Having a sibling that is in highschool, I find myself telling her the things that I would have told myself. If I could back I would initially say that highschool is important. The grades you make, the sports, and activities you get involved in all play a part in how you interact in college, and sometimes even what school you choose. Most of my issues came around junior year when I became nervous about coming to ''the end''. I would simply tell myself that it is ''the end''of highschool, but the beginning of a new stage of my life, one that will stick with me and really mold me to the person that I want to be. Lastly I would point out that it does not matter whether I decide to go out of state, a junior college first (or only), or a big university. The only thing that matters is if I am happy because I am going to school for me and no one else. I would reiterate that what works for some, may not work for others. I would have set and researched more and mapped out a plan that I was confident with.

I feel that because it is a junior college, that no one is assigned a counselor, therefore you constantly must talk with someone that is not familarized with your situation. Also the financial aid office is run by young adults, or the students that are there as well which is frustrating because they only read what they know from a computer or packet; which in the long run does not help me out that much.

The fact that campus is very nice. It makes you feel better when you go to a college that still gives off the feel of a university. There are so many different activities to get into and I love that.

Alexis

First I would have told myself to apply earlier than 4 months before the semester began, and see a counselor to help me pick out classes. I would have told myself to only take Gen Ed classes the first year so if I chose my mind about my major (which I did) that I would lose money and credits on unessecary classes.

Attending a community college, chances are you live locally, so you can experience what the college experience is like without going to far from home or paying thousands of dollars more at a four year school. You can get your associates or just do gen ed studies and transfer. If you then graduate from a four year school, employers have no way of knowing you attended community college. And being at one of the best community colleges in the country, you get a good education for a decent price, and a leg up on other applicants to four year schools.

To be completely honest, there is nothing I can think of that really bugs me about my school. Besides my daily 11 min 30-40 minute commute and the overpriced school books, I like my school a lot.

Catherine

Good education for a lot less money.

Good education for a lot less money.

I went to a small, christian high school. I would say that no matter what you decide, prepare yourself for life outside of a christian community. It is difficult to live out your faith outside of the community of christian students and friends. It is important that we prepare for the differences in lifestyles between believers and nonbelievers, or even people of different beliefs. Also, I would tell myself to do exactly what I did. Go to community college first. You get the chance to go to college but still be at home and transition into life after high school. Next year I will be going to a university farther away and I have had the experience of going to college under the safety of my home life. The fact that my first year only cost $5,000 was a bonus for my parents. I got a good education for a very reasonable amount of money, and, because I stayed at home, also had a year of growing into college life and a year of deciding my future without paying a lot of money.

Anthony

My classmates have actually varied in their general attitude depending on there major. I have noticed that students in the Physics, Mathematics, and Engineering curriculum have been more willing to cooperate and work together for a greater understanding on the subjects. In classes such as speech, English, economics, philosophy, etc. students simply wish to keep to themselves and don't bother tor reach to others to receive or give aid. i just find it surprising how different the attitudes of student differ from major to major.

If you plan on going to a community college then transferring to a university. Pick your classes wisely and make sure they transfer correctly. Remember even though there are more general classes to choose from, everyone has to take them so they fill up fast. Register for you classes early then work with your schedule. This would allow you to make sure you have the necessary classes in despite some scheduling issues. Also remember certain classes have sequences so you cannot just jump in the middle. If you think you know the subject well in enough, see if the school has a proficiency test, this will save you money and time. Aside from Registering make sure you make your schedule wisely, plan breaks so you can eat, work, and rest. These sessions will be a boon for homework and will allow your grades to rise, while giving you time to relax with friends and keep a social life outside of school. With these tips it will definitely held you have an enjoyable college experience.

I wish i knew how to fully utilize financial aid before starting school. i now know that its best to find the books to be used in class and buy them ahead online. one other skill i wish i knew was how to effectively balance a class schedule and a work schedule. Due to the difficulty of the courses I barely have any free time in which i could plan the next semester, prepare for a transfer , or even set aside a decent amount of personal time for family and friends. I believe scheduling skills are necessary for any student.

Mahjabeen

My classmates are very diverse.

My classmates are very diverse.

I would tell myself not to be nervous because everyone is so friendly and the teachers make the class more comfortable for everyone.

College of DuPage is a really reputed college. There is nothing I wish I had known before I came. I am glad I chose C.O.D.

Zach

The College of DuPage students are either cost-conscious and intelligent, or burned out and unmotivated.

The College of DuPage is a very cost effective school that has a large amount of courses available. I have been attending for almost two years, and have no debt so far. It is a commuter campus, as there are no dorms. It is not really known for its school spirit, however, as the student body is too large to be cohesive and many students were surprised upon finding out the school actually had a mascot.

Don't worry about it so much. Enjoy senior year, because it wont be that easy for a while. College is fun and new, but definitely a different experience than high school. Enjoy the final weeks of high school, because despite what you're saying to yourself now, you're gonna be missing these opportunities, schedules, and classes in a few months.

College of DuPage administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.