Glen Ellyn, IL
College of DuPage

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of DuPage

Jim

The very first thing I would tell myself is that comparing high school and college is night and day. Another advice I would give is to tell myself to cherish each day of my senior year. It is a bittersweet experience and the activities that come along with being a senior in high school are unforgettable. Being more open minded will definitely make the transition much smoother. If I came into college with a judgemental attitude, I would certainly feel like an outsider. Academically speaking, I would emphasize on reading the required material in a timely matter. Another thing I would mention is the pace of the classes. If one doesn't keep up with the reading and lectures, that will spell trouble. Furthermore, I would say that making decisions is crutial for success in college. When deciding whether or not to skip class or even a test, one should consider the outcome of what will happen. This could mean getting a zero and not being able to re-take the test. To sum things up, I would tell myself to go out and be involved. Making new friends and trying new things will make challenge yourself and become different.

Going into community college, I had the perception that it would be similar to what high school was, however it is not. Granted, there are some things that remind you of high school such as the small classroom size and teachers taking attendance, but the experience is much different. I would've told myself to go out and make the most of this opportunity. Also, I wish I had known that parking can be very chaotic. I learned that leaving several minutes before your class begins is very important.

I think everyone should attend College of DuPage. You are literally saving thousands of dollars by making this choice. The classes are essentially identical as the other universities and most courses are transferable. Another reason why I believe everyone should attend College of DuPage is because of the office hours. All of the teachers stress on the high amount of office hours that are available for extra help. This also shows how all of the teachers teach their classes and not any teacher aides. The diversity of the student body is excellent; I've met many different types of people.

Atayjia

The High School that I attended was unique because where I was located it was close to a military post so the school offered JROTC for students who planned on going into some type of military branch after they graduated. They offered alot of extra curricular activities from step, color gaurd, FTA , FBLA , FCCLA , ect. There were alot of activities for school students to get into. Wich made me happy because if it werent for those after school activities I would have never would have came out of my shell and made friends.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to stay in the books and worry about my GPA and find my focus make a plan and stick to it, because if I had of made a plan I dont think I would still be trying to get into school but insted I would be in a university somewhere enjoying the college experiance insted of trying to get into a 2 year community college and then thinking about going to a university later on in life. I would tell my self to try as hard as i kan so we dont go down the same road of being homeless a few times and now relying on my mother to help me.

Andrew

High school is one of the most important times of your life, it truely prepares you for college. Don't take it as a joke and dont take it lightly. NEVER stop strving for the A's. Friends can wait, school should come first. Never get discouraged, the hard work will pay off in the long run. Some of the best scholarships that will really help you get through college require the high GPA's. You will want to kick yourself in the butt if you miss out on such opportunities. The only one or only thing that holds you back from this all is you and yourself only. You may wish to blame it on events and people, but you're just deflecting the truth. Take this seriously, and you will be happier than ever imagined.

I wish I had tried harder in high school and not slacked off as much as I had. I have come to realize that I am capable of doing much more than I thought I was able to. If I had know this, it might have made my life alot easier on myself by not having to worry about my GPA as I do now by trying to build it up. Yes I have been able to build it back up, but I sure didn't help myself in high school.

That it is a community college, I saved a bunch of money by not spending my first two years at a state university, and the wide selection of classes that they have to offer.

Corin

College of Dupage is best know for the quality education students recieve. Also the size of the classes are smaller so the teacher can really get to know each student and help them with there specific problems.

i would tell myself to really make sure that i stay on top of my work and get help from teachers if you need to. And also to register for classes as early as possible. it wil save you money and a lot of stress.

The best thing about College of Dupage is the class sizes. Because the are so small the teachers can really get to know each student and really help them with their individual problems or questions.

Lisa

Lisa, Please pick something and stick with it. Trust your instincts, but school comes first no matter what. There are second chances, always, but don't rely on them. Do it right the first time. You know who you are, submerse yourself in school, and let it envelop you. You can do it. Mix your two loves, art, and the computer, into one thing. You can do it. -Future Lisa

My school is a school for everybody. You never know who you are going to meet. Best of all, most everyone is humble, because it's only community college. But we're all there to achieve, so there is a lot of hard work going on.

A.

My school is unique in that it offers many different foreign languages. It offers Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, and German. I believe that this makes my school unique because it allows a large blend of people to interact and understand different cultures much better.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably tell myself to not worry so much! Making the transition to college life was not as nearly hard as I thought it was going to be. Making new friends and having new experiences are all a part of life, and I would also tell myself to explore and just have fun with all the classes I could possibly take. College life is fun yet hard work. I'd also tell myself to get ready to study study study like crazy! College is actually hard work, and it's a place where you realize who you are, what matters to you, and how to achieve goals. I guess if I could go back in time and tell myself this, it might have made me worry just a bit less. But I don't regret anything, and I'm proud to be going to college and making my dreams come true. I'm in charge of my future, and it feels wonderful.

I wish I had known how to chose my classes in regards to what I want to acheive. It's hard deciding what classes to take when you don't know what career you'd like in the future. But luckily my career advisers helped me and I was able to determine what classes to take.

Allison

The worst thing about College of DuPage is the lack of experience you can gain from going away to another college. Since it is a commuter school you do not get a chance to learn the independence you would from going away to school. It is very much like the high school environment since most of the classes are very short and the teachers mainly lenient on grading. It is also very much like high school since many of the peers from high school also attend, so it is like going to high school for a 5th and 6th year.

If I were to go back in time to my senior year of high school, I would slap myself across the face to wake myself up for a much needed reality check. During my 4 years of high school I was a complete slacker. From the many disappointments and failures in my life, I chose to do nothing with my life so I wouldn?t be disappointed rather than set up goals to try and succeed and possibly fail. It wasn?t until I started college where I actually began to care about my future and began the road to a successful career. So if I were to go back in time I would tell myself it is better to try something and risk failure, rather than not try at all and forever wonder the potential I could have possessed.

The most frustrating thing about the College of DuPage is the parking and construction. Since it is a commuter school you must drive to get there since there is no on campus housing. This causes problems since every year there is massive on-going construction, which closes entire parking lots and limits availability. You must arrive at least 20 minutes before your class begins in order to hunt down a parking spot and at times have to park at an entirely different building. The construction also limits classes and a lot of them are now strictly online or not available.

Kimberly

My school to me is seen like a stepping stone to something bigger, something I can achieve. Community college is a great way to gain your general education credits and figure out what major or what school you want to transfer to while going to school. It is exceptional in a way that they are expanding and hope to become an accedited university .

Dear Me, Please do not even think about packing half the shoes you have in the purple bin in your closet. And when mom says pack extra underwear, DO IT. At the very least, please do not leave our closet a hot mess. When you get to ISU, please try to make friends and make sure you go to the freshman orientation on time. (YOU GET A FREE SHIRT!) And yes, senior year will end like High School Musical did. Knowing you, it's hard enough to give advice without you criticizing every single word. So I'm just going to trust that you will listen, do not go to ISU, it's not for you. Don't listen to what mom wants you to do, listen to what your heart says. Right now, you're sitting at home trying to figure out where your life is headed and I want you to know that it's going to be okay. Mitchell still loves you and you still have your friends and family. Yes, you will still be indecisive, yes, you have more questions, but you will have answers, some, not all. Sincerely, Me. PS: Don't forget your deodorant.

Sometimes its frustrating when you see people at the community college who have no desire to learn. It confuses me because it makes me think, "why are you here?" They skip class and they don't do their homework, which is hard to grasp because they are still paying for college, even though it is just an community college.

College of DuPage administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.