Glen Ellyn, IL
College of DuPage

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of DuPage

Lisa

My school is a school for everybody. You never know who you are going to meet. Best of all, most everyone is humble, because it's only community college. But we're all there to achieve, so there is a lot of hard work going on.

Lisa, Please pick something and stick with it. Trust your instincts, but school comes first no matter what. There are second chances, always, but don't rely on them. Do it right the first time. You know who you are, submerse yourself in school, and let it envelop you. You can do it. Mix your two loves, art, and the computer, into one thing. You can do it. -Future Lisa

A.

My school is unique in that it offers many different foreign languages. It offers Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, and German. I believe that this makes my school unique because it allows a large blend of people to interact and understand different cultures much better.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would probably tell myself to not worry so much! Making the transition to college life was not as nearly hard as I thought it was going to be. Making new friends and having new experiences are all a part of life, and I would also tell myself to explore and just have fun with all the classes I could possibly take. College life is fun yet hard work. I'd also tell myself to get ready to study study study like crazy! College is actually hard work, and it's a place where you realize who you are, what matters to you, and how to achieve goals. I guess if I could go back in time and tell myself this, it might have made me worry just a bit less. But I don't regret anything, and I'm proud to be going to college and making my dreams come true. I'm in charge of my future, and it feels wonderful.

I wish I had known how to chose my classes in regards to what I want to acheive. It's hard deciding what classes to take when you don't know what career you'd like in the future. But luckily my career advisers helped me and I was able to determine what classes to take.

Allison

If I were to go back in time to my senior year of high school, I would slap myself across the face to wake myself up for a much needed reality check. During my 4 years of high school I was a complete slacker. From the many disappointments and failures in my life, I chose to do nothing with my life so I wouldn?t be disappointed rather than set up goals to try and succeed and possibly fail. It wasn?t until I started college where I actually began to care about my future and began the road to a successful career. So if I were to go back in time I would tell myself it is better to try something and risk failure, rather than not try at all and forever wonder the potential I could have possessed.

The worst thing about College of DuPage is the lack of experience you can gain from going away to another college. Since it is a commuter school you do not get a chance to learn the independence you would from going away to school. It is very much like the high school environment since most of the classes are very short and the teachers mainly lenient on grading. It is also very much like high school since many of the peers from high school also attend, so it is like going to high school for a 5th and 6th year.

The most frustrating thing about the College of DuPage is the parking and construction. Since it is a commuter school you must drive to get there since there is no on campus housing. This causes problems since every year there is massive on-going construction, which closes entire parking lots and limits availability. You must arrive at least 20 minutes before your class begins in order to hunt down a parking spot and at times have to park at an entirely different building. The construction also limits classes and a lot of them are now strictly online or not available.

Kimberly

My school to me is seen like a stepping stone to something bigger, something I can achieve. Community college is a great way to gain your general education credits and figure out what major or what school you want to transfer to while going to school. It is exceptional in a way that they are expanding and hope to become an accedited university .

Dear Me, Please do not even think about packing half the shoes you have in the purple bin in your closet. And when mom says pack extra underwear, DO IT. At the very least, please do not leave our closet a hot mess. When you get to ISU, please try to make friends and make sure you go to the freshman orientation on time. (YOU GET A FREE SHIRT!) And yes, senior year will end like High School Musical did. Knowing you, it's hard enough to give advice without you criticizing every single word. So I'm just going to trust that you will listen, do not go to ISU, it's not for you. Don't listen to what mom wants you to do, listen to what your heart says. Right now, you're sitting at home trying to figure out where your life is headed and I want you to know that it's going to be okay. Mitchell still loves you and you still have your friends and family. Yes, you will still be indecisive, yes, you have more questions, but you will have answers, some, not all. Sincerely, Me. PS: Don't forget your deodorant.

Sometimes its frustrating when you see people at the community college who have no desire to learn. It confuses me because it makes me think, "why are you here?" They skip class and they don't do their homework, which is hard to grasp because they are still paying for college, even though it is just an community college.

Mayra

Coveniente, easy to fit your own schedule whether your a single mom or single, affordable prices even with no financial help and access to a great library and teachers.

College of DuPage is the third-largest single-campus community college in the nation and the second-largest institution of higher education in Illinois with more the 90 certificate programs.

Take your time on researching colleges you want to attend and what thay have to offer. Begin filling out FAFSA early so you can plan out your financial situatation and what it will cost you to attend college. Make sure you also research your major if your already decided on one and if you havent and are still undecided. Start at a community college where you can take your general education classes till you decide on a mjor. Also make sure to apply to as many scholarships and grants possible, there is free tuition money everywhere. One more thing remember to apply to more than school, always have a backup plan just to be on the save side.

What is unique about College of DuPage is the quality of the education. I have many friends who started off at College of Dupage and have since gone on to a four year school and truly feel that the education they got from College of DuPage was much better than what they have at their current university. Although it is a Community College, College of DuPage truly holds its own.

There are many things I would say to the high school senior version of myself. Among them would be to listen to your parents more and sit back and enjoy things a little bit better. Even more than that I would tell myself not to worry too much about college life. College is important, but there are so many great people from the advisors, to the professors, to those who work in registration who are willing to help you get the most out of your college experience. Don't worry too much about knowing your major the moment you walk into those doors because in my case, a year into studying, you may realize that major won't be what will make you happy. Take a variety of classes so you can get a better understanding of what you may want and always feel free to ask questions of everyone. You don't need to have the answers to all of your life's questions the minute you walk into college, but you will learn many of them during your time at school. Take college seriously, but make sure you enjoy it as well.

In all honesty there isn't too much to complain about College of Dupage. They offer alot of academics and are really great with advising. The only problem I have ever faced is that although they have increased the number of buildings they have, they have never increased parking which makes it difficult for many students. You have to sometimes make sure you get to school forty-five minutes before class starts to get any parking space, even the last one on the lot. If you are coming from work this can be a major problem.

Sasha

I would say give junior college a shot, consider it as a viable alternative to a four-year school and a great transition into college life from high school. The junior college will challenge you to work just as hard, but you will also have the support of family and friends if you stay at home. Attendance is just as important as it is in a four-year university; if you are between grades, your attendance is critical. What you do in high school determines your placement in college- so do your best to advance to the highest level possible.

The only kind of person that should not attend any college is a person that does not want to work hard to achieve their goals and dreams.

The thing I brag about most that it has been a great transition school. The teachers are great and always willing to help. Also that it was surprisingly challenging. College of Dupage is one of the best community colleges in the United States.

Jonas

Too often we let our duties slip past our present focus. Girlfriends, sports, and hobbies will always reward us with satisfaction, whether it is deep love, or succesful outcome of a challenge. Yet time moves on duling our sharp sense of achievement, along with our memories, into slight grooves on our timelines. Some grooves however, are so strong, carved in the bone of our heads, writen on our foreheads, its the feeling of knowledge, the lack of confusion. It is the ultimite sharpening stone when a subject well known is brought before one self, leaving one feel like a sharp, solid knife. In school it is more important that anything to start with an over-achieving attitude, and maybe let it drop just a tiny bit, to put you right on the edge of excellence.

Quality of our teachers, throughout the past couple of weeks i have heard a couple negative remarks toward some of the teachers at College of Dupage, however majority of remarks made in total were good, aspiring me to believe in teachers and their passion in shareing and spreading their knowledge.

The lack of faculty. Registering for my classes i had a real struggle because most of the classes in the morning time through noon were full. There is only one cause of this shortage, which is evident. College of Dupage does not have sufficient amount of classes or sizes. Also the lines for registering took 3-4 hours that shouldnt be exeptable, maybe part time employment would fix this problem.

Margaret

A year ago you dropped out of high school, walked away from formal education and your own academic potential, and for thirty more years you will not return. And then one far-away day, when you are forty-eight years old, you will experience surprising second-growth. You?ll seek and earn your GED and then walk the halls of your community college, willingly digging into anatomy, English, and anthropology text books, eagerly delving for new knowledge. You will feel secure, supported by advocates, overarching and protective, who believe in you. Safe in their midst you will evolve, at home in your new found forest of learning. You will be a straight-A student confidently facing your studies, reaching upward from within, basking in new experiences and surprising self-development. But for now I'm a forgotten acorn in your pocket, a small, waiting seed of your own courage and potential; I am your future self, dormant but alive and waiting. One far-off day you will reach and find me, realizing I have been here with you all along, just waiting to grow. On that day I will take root and become you, believing in you, in full bloom.

Once a high school dropout, now I am an honors student at the College of DuPage. For thirty years I avoided returning to school, staying safely away from that impenetrable-seeming jungle of intellectual self-challenge, fearful of what I might not find. But finally I found my courage, took the GED, and signed up for a few classes; and what a revelation I encountered! COD is a garden of shared knowledge, abounding with energy. This school is rich and fertile soil, and anyone who plants themselves here with intent to learn will blossom with their own academic second growth.

There is no particular "kind" of person who should not attend the College of DuPage; this is truly a school for everyone! From young adults through senior citizens; certificate, associate degree, and transfer seeking students; anyone desiring new knowledge will find it here, across a spectrum of studies for a broad variety of applications. Individuals who are hesitant about attending college classes or unsure about their readiness can still find guidance at COD. College advisers and staff provide support, encouragement, and all of the answers needed to help each and every kind of person find their own unique educational success!

My classmates are understanding and sympathetic because we are all in the same situation, wanting to eventually find our careers and start our lives.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self I would remind myself to stay focused. It is very easy to get side tracked in the hustle and bustle of graduation and summer and the excitement of going away to college. As a high school senior I was still very confused at what I wanted and I realize now that that is ok. I chose to stay home for two years because i was unsure of what I wanted to do and my financial situattion did not extend to a university. I would tell myself not to worry. You can't know exactly what you want to do until you take some classes and see what it is like and if you enjoy the field you originally chose. It is ok to be confused, that is what general education classes are for. I would tell myself that staying home is the best choice and not to down grade it, I ended up much better off. Now I can proudly say Northern Illinois University here I come!

The best thing about my school is the amount of diversity it offers. There are plenty of stimulated general education classes for those, like myself, who are going to transfer out. On the other hand there are awesome classes for those who are looking to complete a degree in a certain area. Providing so many choices helps to provide students with plenty of oppurtunites for them to explore and figure out what they want to do in life.

College of DuPage administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.