Glen Ellyn, IL
College of DuPage

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of DuPage

Raleigh

First, I would acknowledge myself for being strong and making it thus far considering the statistics of individuals finishing school in the first place. I would tell myself to keep on my toes about education because it is very important to maintain the highest gpa one can achieve. It makes things so much easier if you?re going attempt to earn grants and scholarships and enter organizations that will help you down the road in life or if you want to go to graduate school. Your school records seem to really follow you in life when I comes to a lot of things. I would also tell myself to become a social sponge and soak up the various cultures that surround the campus and areas around the campus. Having an understanding people of different cultures will really help once you?re out in the real world. Just be an honest and open person while doing your absolute best in college will provide good grades, a great college experience, and a good foundation to build a great successful life off of.

Erica

The school in currently under constuction so I would say it is very busy.

The school in currently under constuction so I would say it is very busy.

I am a new students so I have not met my classmates.

I would be incline to say that the decision you make as a high school senior will ultimately have major cause and effect as a college student. To use everyday to prepare for the next day. As a college student and throughout life with something new be prepared to ask questions. If you do not understand ask questions until you understand. Remember with scholarships and grants the early bird gets the worm. The one of the most important things that you can take away from transition is deadlines. In college and the transition remember to be independent and self sufficent. Always keep in mind to take advantage of all resources that you have access to and help is always just a phone call away. The best advice that I would give is to prepare for change and embrace new things with a open mind. Your college experience is only as good as you make it.

I would tell myself that things are going to be okay. I would tell myself that not having any money to pay for college will not hold you back. Not knowing what you want to do right now will not ruin your life. You will be okay. You will do well. I would tell myself to try harder in school because the teachers, the kids, the parents might not be worth it, but you are. Rebeling in high school might seem like a good idea right now, but in the long run it won't do anything for you. I would tell myself to try and be the best I can be. Even though you're parents are divorced, and you feel along and helpless, you're not. There are people out there that believe in you and know that you can succeed. I would tell myslelf to believe in yourself and stop being so angry. You can't keep blaming your mom and dad for all your problems. You need to start planning ahead for the future. The only way you can pay for college is to get scholarship so get to studying!

Kristina

A significant number of my fellow classmates all have one or two qualities in common. One, they live at home which provides them with the quality of determination in order to do well in their classes. This leads to the second quality, and that is most of my classmates will eventually transfer to a four year institution. This establishes the fact that most of my classmates, are interested in discovering and continuing their education at the most effective institution for their major/career.

I would tell myself to look into every scholarship out there, because even though they take time and sometimes the amount is not great every scholarship counts. I did not learn that until after I got into five schools with no way of affording them without going into a deep hole of dept! Yes, College of Dupage is a great choice to save money, and I do not regret my decision in attending the institution as a freshman, but if I want to experience the college lifestyle I need to apply for every scholarship available.

One of the best qualities about my college is that it is extremely cost effective especially if a student wants to obtain their Associates Degree. Then afterwards they can move on to a four year insitution to recieve their degree in their major of choice. In the end, by going to my college a student will save a great deal of money.

Dave

A community college is an unlikely place to find a great graphic design program, but somehow the College of DuPage has managed to wrangle together a tightly knit group of extremely passionate and talented teachers. They are committed to bringing us the best design education they can possible fit into a two-year program, so they waste no time in their instruction and they are never hesitant to provide personal guidance. I plan on transferring to a four-year school next fall, and they tell me that C.O.D. transfer students are among the best they have.

I have learned a few guidelines to be a successful student as well as a happy person. First, make friends with everyone. Smile every time you enter a room, say hello, and try to meet everyone on the first day. Remember everyone's name. Don't talk at people, get them to talk about themselves. Listen to them. This is your community, love them. They will love you. Second, everything you do for the first time will suck. Start new things without fear, and keep doing them until you don't suck. This is how you become good. A good motto I've heard: Fail Harder. Third, never apologize or be ashamed of the things you like. Being strange is how new trends are started. Being the same is how old trends die. Fourth, throw great parties. Invite everyone. Be a good host, since you already know everyone, introduce people. Fifth, people will steal ideas from you. Don't be angry, be flattered. It means you have good ideas. Sixth, get things done. Anyone can start a project, but perfectionists and lazy people can never finish. Nothing is perfect, so finish and move on to the next project.

Initially, I thought I would like to have discovered my passion for graphic design before I started school, but when I think about it, the path to discovering my calling was an invaluable part of my life. Instead, I wish I could have been more assured that the risks I took were worthwhile. A lot of people encourage you to follow your dreams, but there is always a sense of doubt that holds you back. If I could do it over, I would erase that doubt knowing that even the mistakes are part of the path.

Brandon

I would tell myself to begin filling out college applications as soon as my junior year of high school. Next, I would schedule campus visits to see what campus life was like and how the students are. I would tell my senior self to fill out as many scholarships as I could, making it a full-time job, to take the pressure off myself in paying a full tuition. Encouraging myself to keep good grades will also help with scholarship aid. More advice I would give myself is to work hard all the way up to graduation. The college transition was the hardest part for me. I would engourage myself to build long, lasting friendships and be around the right people. Keep your head straight and let nothing get in the way of your career goals. Study hard and that will lead to success. People will try to bring you down, but it is your job to shove them aside and focus on education. Life doesn't give handouts, you have to earn your way. In conclusion, I would say to be actively involved in college groups and get a campus job because someone could be a reference.

Like many colleges or universities, schools have pros and cons. Currently, The College of DuPage is undergoing a construction and renovation project. Campus construction provides limited parking, reduced pedestrian routes, and loud noises during classes. I had a class moved across campus because the noise levels were too loud in my other home room. The construction will provide a better place to learn, but it must be done over holiday breaks. I now have trouble parking and must take into account traffic delays, so I won't be late for classes. Lastly, building closings cause congested hallways.

The College of DuPage provides a high-level education for a fraction of the cost compared to other universities. Students who are looking to get a head start without breaking their bank accounts should attend COD. DuPage is a starting point for young adults or older adults who may have suspended their education or are looking to boost their resumes. Students who are looking to make good friends, experience campus life, gain work experience, and have a positive learning environment must attend the College of Dupage. In closing, students with determination, hard-work ethic, and perseverance should attend this college.

Kimberly

My classmates at COD come from all walks of life: I have taken an experiential speech class 18-67 year olds, my music stand partner in band is married with kids, and I have sat around between classes playing drums with students from South Africa, Egypt, and Japan.

Get involved in school- it makes all the difference. Even if none of the clubs look appealing, the people in the oasis lounge seem a bit odd, and getting a job in the library caf? seems too daunting, just hope for the best and put yourself out there. You will meet people from every walk of life who will open your eyes to the world more than you ever thought possible from a home-town community college. In short, you will love going to school.

It is frustrating that some people attend COD with the mindset ?I only have to sit in class another 45 minutes and then I can go home,? when there are so many different people to meet and fantastic opportunities available if only they reach out.

Amir

College of DuPage is best known for transfering credits to the school of the students chosing. Many people attend College of DuPage before going to a four-year university because they want to receive their associates degree first and then transfer; that way there is no worry over whether or not the credits transferred or not because every college has to except an associates degree. College of DuPage does an excellent job with preparing students and transferring classes to the university they wish to attend.

If I could go back in time and was able to talk to myself as a high school senior I would have definitely told myself to not slack off even a little bit. Most high school seniors go into that year thinking that since they have already been accepted into the university of their choice that they don't have to try as hard for the remainder of that year. What they are not aware of is if their grades slip significantly then the college can choose to not accept them. Another scenario is that the student won't be as eligible for scholarship money as they would have been if they had kept up the hard work an continued to push themselves until the year was completely over with. I would have also told myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could because that's just more chances that an individual has to receive free money.

The kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is looking for direction, someone that has ambition to pursue higher learning but is not quite sure of their major just yet and needs that extra push before attending the four-year university of their choice. College of DuPage is by no means a push over community college; it provides the same classes as most four-year universities and individuals attending should have the same drive as they would at the college of their choice. People attending should take the two years very seriously.

Corarener

Having a sibling that is in highschool, I find myself telling her the things that I would have told myself. If I could back I would initially say that highschool is important. The grades you make, the sports, and activities you get involved in all play a part in how you interact in college, and sometimes even what school you choose. Most of my issues came around junior year when I became nervous about coming to ''the end''. I would simply tell myself that it is ''the end''of highschool, but the beginning of a new stage of my life, one that will stick with me and really mold me to the person that I want to be. Lastly I would point out that it does not matter whether I decide to go out of state, a junior college first (or only), or a big university. The only thing that matters is if I am happy because I am going to school for me and no one else. I would reiterate that what works for some, may not work for others. I would have set and researched more and mapped out a plan that I was confident with.

I feel that because it is a junior college, that no one is assigned a counselor, therefore you constantly must talk with someone that is not familarized with your situation. Also the financial aid office is run by young adults, or the students that are there as well which is frustrating because they only read what they know from a computer or packet; which in the long run does not help me out that much.

The fact that campus is very nice. It makes you feel better when you go to a college that still gives off the feel of a university. There are so many different activities to get into and I love that.

Alexis

First I would have told myself to apply earlier than 4 months before the semester began, and see a counselor to help me pick out classes. I would have told myself to only take Gen Ed classes the first year so if I chose my mind about my major (which I did) that I would lose money and credits on unessecary classes.

Attending a community college, chances are you live locally, so you can experience what the college experience is like without going to far from home or paying thousands of dollars more at a four year school. You can get your associates or just do gen ed studies and transfer. If you then graduate from a four year school, employers have no way of knowing you attended community college. And being at one of the best community colleges in the country, you get a good education for a decent price, and a leg up on other applicants to four year schools.

To be completely honest, there is nothing I can think of that really bugs me about my school. Besides my daily 11 min 30-40 minute commute and the overpriced school books, I like my school a lot.

College of DuPage administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.