College of Lake County Top Questions

Bradley

Do not be disappointed in the fact that you did not get the scholarships you needed to go to Northwestern. Instead of wallowing in your own self pity, take the initiative and go straight to CLC. Once there, get the best grades and get as involved in Student Governemnt and Phi Theta Kappa as you can. I promise you that if you can do this, scholarship opportunities to attend the rest of your college career for free will be opened up to you. Have a good attitude. Plan out your week and chip away at the over burden of work until you reach success. Make friends with people who believe in making the best out of life, and do not ever forget the goals we established for ourself in high school. Believe that when you try your very hardest you will achieve the very best. But above all else, don't take failure to seriously because there will always be another chance to start again. Don't stress yourself out. Everything is easier if you budget your time wisely. I hope to see you where I am today soon.

Jacqueline

Jackie, don't give up. Don't ever stop trying. You are more than just some mass of cells and organs walking around on some big rock in the universe. Don't let anybody, I mean ANYBODY ever tell you differently. There will be obstacales in life that are scary and seem impossible. There will be times where you lie in bed and cry. Pick yourself up the next morning and try again! Explore yourself, explore your world, and keep trying new things until you find THE thing that you love. I have finally found it, but I know there was a long, rough road behind me. You can achieve anything if you work hard for it, and that's what you need to do - please, work hard. Please don't let anything get in the way of your dreams. Yes, grades are important in college. Talent is important in college. What's most important, though? Motivation, determination, preserverance, and positivity. Stop saying "maybe", stop saying "what if", start saying "I will" and "I can". This is what I wish I did more during this time, and this is what I would love to tell myself if I could.

Sean

I would tell myself to stay focused on what is ahead and that education is important. The popualrity isnt important because its the people that accept you that matter. I would tell myself to find myself sooner. I would tell myself to go straight into business instead of engineering because that is what i am good at. I would save up more money and start working sooner. Just remind myself that staying true to myself is all that really matters.

Thosha

You should have asked more questions in subjects like Enlgish and Math. College is the best decision you can make, so work harder, study more and apply for scholarships. Another thing, go volunteer more and join clubs your intrested in. Never give up no matter what the issues are at home, school, or work just remember your only goal in life is to become a veterinarian. The funny thing is in High School you hung out with good/bad crowds, stick to the good crowd. Why? because you are who you surround yourself around. Surround yourself with people who have the same goals as you.

I would tell myself to work work harder at applying for scholarships. Working full-time while going to college is not easy. I would also try to prepare myself more for the transition and tell my high school self to be more confident. I am smart, I am strong, I am a great person. I think when I was 18 I was definitely more worried about what other people thought of me than i was about school. I would tell my high school self not to worry about that and to concentrate more on being honest to who I am. I would also warn my high school self that life doesn't get easier during or after college, the responsibilities continue to pile up. High school is the time to work hard and play hard, I would tell myself to treasure those moments more. I don't know if anything that anyone says can change your direction but I would try to give myself as much warning as possible.

Kurt

Join Choir, apparently there is one. Take advantage of the electronics courses first. Take statistics first.

DeAnna

focus on school because your grade will come back to bit you in the a**.

Colleen

I would tell myself not to slack off senior year. I would say apply to more schools and actually look for scholarships then. School acceptance letters and scholarships don't just arrive at your door, you have to work for them and put in the time. Friends and making memories are important, but planning for your educational future should be the number one priority. I would also remind myself to send out my AP test scores so I don't have to take a bunch of classes over again.

Katrina

As a high school student, I excelled in academics and athletics. I graduated in June of 2000 excited to have been accepted to an out of state college. While there, I was a full time nursing student and also participated on the women's golf team. I struggled through two years of being far away from home, traveling with the golf team and trying to keep up with the course work of the nursing program. It has now been almost ten years since that journey began, and I have come leaps and bounds from the girl straight out of high school. Knowing what I know now, I would tell the eighteen year old me to wait to go to college. Although I was a good student, I was not truly prepared for the committment of the nursing program and golf team. After those two years, I gained experience and maturity working as a certified nursing assistant; my love being hospice. Now, as a twenty-seven year old woman I look back at all that I have accomplished. I am excited to bring all that I have experienced into the classroom, which will benefit my course work and college experience.

Shannon

I graduated from high school two years ago and in those two years I have learned a lot about life. If I could go back and talk to my senior self, I would tell her, "Life gets better. All of the freedom you desire is coming soon and the opportunities are endless. Do not fear the unknown; the unknown is what makes life worth living. The life you know in high school is not real life. Everything is planned out for you now, but hold on, honey, life is an adventure and yours starts now. Never quit chasing your dreams and never left anyone tell you what you can't do. Live life the way you always wanted and remember: No Fear. No Regret. "

Anna

I would tell myself to get involved when I first started. I would remind myself that I know it's difficult to start somewhere new and not know many people but the real thing to focus on is personal growth. Currently, I still see myself grow - I am more outgoing than I was when I first started. I am highly envolved in Student Activities Department at my school and am loving every minute of it. I have found some of the most amazing, and inspirational people because of Student Activities - Phi THeta Kappa and Program Board...Sometimes I just wished that I had became active sooner. So I would stress the importance of involvement in school as well as continuing to excel grade wise.

Kelly

If I was a ghost watching over my high school body, while she ws filling out applications while applying for college, I would definetly give out the advice to start off at a local community college. It can save money, if the family is in a financial crisis, with the recession going on, and it could also help f one isn't ready to go away, it is close enough to home to not feel homesick. A second advice I would give my high school body, is not to procrastinate on filling out scholarships. If one procrastonates, then the opportunity of gaining money for college . Lastly, I would tell my high school body to fill out the financial aid form, even though one may not need it in the beginning, it could become helpful later on in the semester.

When I was in high school I did not understand that it was the beginning of my future. If I were to go back in time and talk to myself about the college experiences that I have had, I would explain that high school is the start of your college career. You need to put your all into everything that you do in order to ensure that you will have a bright future. It may seem that high school doesn't matter all that much, but really it is the gateway to getting accepted into your dream college and getting that job that you have always wanted. You need to prove to yourself and others that you deserve everything because you worked hard to achieve your dream... Because hard work and dedication leads to a lifetime of happiness.

Jamie

If I was able to go back in time I would tell myself to take a greater interest in my community and to take more diverse classes. Along with that I would have to give myself the advice to try different clubs and be more involved in my school. Definatly I would like to find a faculty mentor and help me learn more about my future profession.

Melanie

An advice I would give myself would have been to study more in high school and take it more seriously. In doing so I would have been able to get a higher gpa and lead to better opportunties. I see now how college isnt all fun and games. I take my work more seriously and study a lot more. From this I seen greater improvements and my gpa. Overall I'm much satistfied in my school work.

Kristina

If I could go back in time to talk to myself about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to focus a little more on the choises I had to make within the next few months. College life can be difficult, but it does not have to be. Yes some of the classes in college are more challenging, but you are growing up and you need to take more responsibilities for all of your actions. College life can be the exact same as high school life if you want it to be. I just takes working on your classes maybe fifteen minutes to an hour or so longer. Pay as much attention to your school work and ask as many questions as possible. The transition is not that difficult either; all it takes is going to the college a few days before your classes start. Walk around with your class schedule and find where all of your classes are located. Make sure you purchase all of your required books and supplies so you are prepared for your first day. I made friends on my first day so do not worry about that! College can be easy!!

Cynthia

As a senior, the year is filled with many occasions that will mark the end or the beginning of your future. It's so easy to slack off at the end because you feel like you need a break because you've worked hard for the first three years. But finishing strong is the best thing you could do! Just going through the motions of school and doing the minimum to get by is not enough. In college, your professor is not going to be holding your hand telling you to start focusing and get back on track with your school work. If you practice that now, it will become part of your character to finish something to the best of your ability. Staying focused on what is important is key to because there are going to be a lot of distractions that are more fun than studying of writing a paper. Just do what you need to do first and the have fun later. It really pays off to be prepared for a test than just studying the night before. Work hard for what you what because what you want is not that far ahead.

Tiffany

I would tell my self to be prepared to get involved. Just because you work doesn't mean you don't have time for school activities. I would also say, read ALL of the assigned readings not just the chapter summaries, and also take really good notes. Also, don't be afraid to ask the professors for help, often times they are more than willing to help you.

Zane

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior about college the first thing I would tell myself is don't think college is going to be like high school. I made it through high school without studying a lot, I tried that I college and I realized that I would need to work a lot harder than I did in high school. I would also tell myself that I would have to prepare myself to use a ton of will power to be able to study and do the homework and listen durning class.

Make sure you schedule your time wisely. Sometimes a project takes up more of your time than you originally think. Take all Placement and Proficiency tests before you start your very first semester; otherwise, you may need to take another semester and end up graduating late. Teachers are here to help, do not feel like you're an idiot for needing and asking for help. It is way better to ask a teacher for help than get a poor grade on a test. And who knows, you might get enough advice to raise your overall grade from a C to an A. Stress can overwhelm you, know what helps you destress and use these tools often. Studying is very important, but do not forget that balance is crucial. Homework has the potential to take over your life; don't let it control you. Having fun with friends once in a while is important. And on the subject of friends, do not be a recluse. You need to make an effort if you want friends at school. A simple smile and saying "hi" can go a long way. And ask students for their opinions on classes and teachers.

James

I would tell myself to not spend so much money on stuff and save for a better computer, first and foremost. Secondly, I would tell myself to go take a class on how to study and prepare for college level courses at CLC in addition to working for the year I took off from college.

Kathryn

If I could talk to myself as a high-school senior, I would tell myself you'd switch majors after a horrible incident at one college. I'd also tell myself it's hard to follow your dreams knowing that no one will help fund for the school you want to go to. I'd also tell myself that college is a lot better than high school in some ways like choosing my own schedule and freer communication with your teachers, but a lot worse in others like trying to make friends. I'd tell myself that even though I have what others consider "disabilities," that I shouldn't be treated differently than everyone else because of them. I should be given the same oppotunities as everyone else and I need to fight for those oppotunities.

David

I would've cautioned myself to save at least $10,000 in emergency money and save enough to afford health insurance. However, it is quite possible that by working to save money, I would likely have been stuck in a condition of poverty and therefore not have ever afforded to go to school. I've had to pay a $12,000 hospital bill out of pocket and have paid for much of my tution/rent/food that loans and financial aid didn't cover. My experience has taught me how financially dangerous it is to be lower to lower-middle class and illustrates how hard it is to gain upward mobility through the stratisfication and education. It illustrates the need for social change with respect to healthcare as a fundemental human right and with respect to education as a fundemental necessity in overcomming class barriers.

LaQuita

Take atleast a year off to save up money for tuition and supplies unless you can accomplish obtaining a scholarship. When you do start school make sure you keep up with all your work on time and go to all of your classes. If you don't understand something make absolutely sure to ask questions for clarity on whatever is going on.

Anna

The first thing I would tell myself is, no matter how bad things get, keep going! I would remind myself to work hard and do the best I can. Even though I attend a community college, I need to have my grades as high as possible. And although it is hard for a senior to stay completely focused on school, I would remind myself that it will really pay off in the end. Education is key to a future. I would make sure that I sit down with a counselor and really try to understand all of the opportunities that are out there. Listen to any advice that the counselor can offer and never undermine myself. Basically, the times when I really felt hopeless, I would try and encourage myself that it is worth all the trouble, and will pay off in the end. And to never forget that you can do anything you put your mind to!

Arielle

As a senior, I was enrolled in an independent study program which allowed me to have tons of free time even with the college courses I used to take. I received over $900 a month from social security due to my mother's death, had my own car, partied, had so much freedom - I felt I was living the life. But at the time, never realized that college was going to have such a huge impact of my life. Now that I have graduated, I don't receive my benefits anymore. My life is 10 times harder financially and the stress is taking a toll on my body. Besides the money I used for bills, I now regret blowing hundreds of dollars every month just to have fun - I wasn't thinking ahead. I didn't realize how much money, time, and dedication it was going to take to pursue my dream career. I would give advice to my senior self to start thinking of my future and to think ahead. To prepare myself for the commute, finances, work, stress, and dedication into pursuing my future career. Basically, that I'm going to struggle but make the best of it.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have great advice to give myself. I would be sure to mention how important it is to get good grades in high school. With good grades and ambition you can get anywhere and maybe even earn scholarships to help pay for school. I would also make sure to add, there are millions of classes offered to students. This is extremely important in helping any student discover what is interesting and maybe even direct them to a career path. Last, I would explain the importance of getting good grades in college. Participation and effort will take one far. Hard work really does pay off and in the mean time it is a great feeling of achievement.