Kentfield, CA
College of Marin

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of Marin

Jacob

While I prefer not to spend much more time at College of Marin than I need to, I do enjoy it very much. My favorite part has been the teachers. Although this doesn't apply to every class, most of my professors seem passionate about what they teach and are always willing to talk to you and ensure that you are learning the curriculum.

Keyla

When I first entered college of marin to do a college credit course it was easy to navigate. During one of my classes the professors were very helpful with providing information for what I was confused about. Most of the time it was very calm and productive atmosphere.

Shannon

College of Marin is beautiful. Literally! We have some winning sports teams the past few years in Baseball. Nestled in Marin, we are multi-cultural, multi-gendered, artistic and academic. One of the smallest community colleges in California, there are two campuses and most of the college is brand new due to large bonds received by the school. The student services are amazing and real help can be found to focus on yourself because of this endowment. We are a University of California feeder school. I am in the nursing program and it it terrific! I feel lucky to go here.

Dawud

I have enjoyed my time here so far. My professors are all helpful, relaxed (not easy, just not uptight), and really know their subjects. I have the honor of being in the Multimedia department which is a shining jewel in this school. All the classes teach interesting and relevant software and techniques, and the department is focused on helping students become job-ready in their respective area of study. I may not think much of the administrative faculty of the college, but from where I'm standing I'm in exactly the right program for me.

Nytasha

I have an overall excellent view of CoM. The counseling and financial aid departments are helpful and available, the instructors are mostly wonderful. I have had a really good experience here. I am just not really fond of the Mathematics department, but the Art and Drama departments are phenomenal. Largely, the instructors here are here because they are passionate about what they do.

Rebecca

The school has staff that are always willing to help you when you need it and the profesors are absolutely astounding when it comes to working with students to keep them on track.

Go to community college first. The notion that College of Marin is bad and only losers who cannot afford a 4 year university and who could not get scholarships go there but it isn't true. You can make new friends if you put yourself out there and the staff is amazing when working with you on financial aid as well as the admissions process. The professors are willing to work with you and really spend time with you moreso than in high school and they are easy to talk to. They don't think they are above you in any way and they work to relate to you and they are very good at it. Many of the professors keep things lively and it really is a great way to make it through college with a smile on your face.

The professors are absolutely amazing and are willing to work with you. It is surprising how great the teachers are because the notion given to community colleges is that the teachers are awful but here they definitely are not.

Frances

Open-minded, but sucks lunch money out of poor college students who can no longer afford textbooks.

I see my 17 year old self walking out of campus boundaries while class continues on. I tell her to stop, turn around, and make wiser decisions. I tell her that education is the catalyst for success, a key to an open-mind, and a reason to keep living. I would advise her to go to the counselor's office and ask for an early start on applying for scholarships, because being under the poverty line isn't the only quirk of her character. I would tell her that she is bright, innovative, and has the gift of being able to influence the people of our world to make it a better place, all she needs to do is believe in herself, else others will fail to find faith in her. The young girl would take my words to heart, and see a greater self 3 years in the future instead of letting herself become a late bloomer. We have all made mistakes, but it is wise be open to the life-lessons mistakes teach us, so i'm fortunate to have grasped the importance of education.

I wish I would of known that going to a community college makes it very difficult to transfer into a four year college in two years. This statement stands true even if you find yourself in a dangerous and/or instable living situation that you cannot get out of unless you sign up for millions of scholarships in efforts to of getting money making it possible to over-ride your parent's dependancy status over you in hope to transfer to a 4-year with a dormatory.

Shastina

college of marin has small classes, a beautiful campus with lots of grass and trees, experienced teachers, and it's in a great location, close to both san francisco and the ocean.

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a senior in high school I would say: take time to discover your true self, stay balanced, and utilize your schools resources. Taking the time to find out what your passions are and what excites you can pay off in the long run. If you choose to major in something that you love to do, you will be happy! But first you have to take time to uncover the real you. Experiment with classes that are intriguing and fun. Don't be discouraged if you don't know what you are going to do with your life right away. It?s important to balance the fun classes with the general education classes. When you balance them correctly you don?t get overwhelmed. It will also help you along on your track to getting a degree. Talk to your counselor for advice on what classes you need to take. Talk to the financial aid people about scholarships and grants. There are lots of resources available to you. Remember you are going to school for you. It?s your experience so make the best of it! Stay inspired and curious.

I consider the worst thing to be that college of marin doesn't have student housing. I think if students lived on campus there would be a more cohesive sense of community within the student body.

Jeff

College of Marin is fortunate to have some great teachers. Marin is a desirable place to live so many university professors have retired here and continue to teach through COM. Besides having a great faculty it also has a beautiful campus, great resources, and great students of all ages.

If I had the ability to travel back and time to the time that I was a high school senior I would tell myself to pursue my interests no matter how silly or unattainable they might seem. I would tell myself that good people with good intentions would give me advice such as; ?Choose a career path that will make lots of money.? ?Make sure you have a fallback career.? and ?Learn how to be successful in business.?. I would then tell myself to always be thankful for well-intended advice and also know that if you give everything to what you love you will be successful at it. Have the courage to be who you want to be regardless of what anyone tells you what you should be.

I like to call College of Marin the "Ivy League of Community Colleges". I have known a few students who have transfered from COM to major universities and wish that they could come back because they learned more. Some of my teachers are amazing. I have one music teacher who played music with Ella Fitzgerald for more than a decade. I have a piano teacher who's class I love to go to for the entertainment value. He is really funny and entertaining but also has an unusually high success rate at teaching the piano.

Brendan

First of all, I would tell my past self that once he graduates from high school and starts attending college, he will have the opportunity to choose his own classes and workload as he prepares himself for a career in architecture. However, he will have to exercise initiative and responsibility in completing his assignments before the deadlines. I would also recommend that he take at least one AP class while he is still in high school to give himself a leg up in preparing for acceptance into a school that specializes in architecture. Preferably, that class is a subject he knows fairly well and feels confident in undertaking. Last of all, he should learn how to prepare his own meals and do his own laundry while he is still living with his parents. That way, he will be prepared to live away from home without Mom or Dad aroundto cook for him or get him out of bed.

From what I have experienced so far at the College of Marin, there has not been anything about the classes or the campus I found to be frustrating. I have, however, had the misfortune of experiencing a counseling error regarding what classes I need to take to transfer to the university of my choice. Because of it, I will mostly likely have to attend the College of Marin for one year longer than I originally anticipated.

The College of Marin has not only a wide variety of classes to cater to every student's academic and vocational needs, but also an easy-to-use online class registration system and faculty members who are willing to help their students apply to the colleges of their choice. For example, one of my architecture teachers was willing to proofread my admissions essay for UC Berkeley for as many times as it took to perfect it for submission.

College of Marin administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.