College of Mount Saint Vincent Top Questions

chanell

If i had the chance to go back in time i would have went to Penn State instead of listening to my father. He wanted me to go to a in state school and now i am at a school where i am not happy.

Zuleima

With the experience I have in these two years of college you and the things you've been through. If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I would give some tips. One would not waste my time with friends, not doing what is supposedly good for them, if not follow my instincts, my goals and do what I really want. Which was to graduate with good grades and get into a good college with good scholarship. Which if you enter a good university is the Puerto Rico Inter American. But that last years or high school rather than cutting down notes for leaks go, stop studying for partying and let my friends do anything with me, keep my average due to get better scholarships in the same inter-or at another university good and who knows if classes jumping forward so inncesarias for my future. Anyway, I would love to have another chance with the ability that I have to have better vision of my future. But as I can not, all I do is to thank God for letting me get where I am and ask him to be He, directing my way from now on.

Pierre-Lyne

In college, you meet people from all walks of life, the good, the bad, the plain old ugly, college has it all. And no matter how weak you think you are, college will show you your strenghts and vice-versa. I learn about people and myself and my place in the world. In college, you will become the person that you really are, your best friend or your worst enemy.

Anastasia

Learned a lot from classes and campus life.

I have learned many things in my short time at college, both socially and academically. Having a roommate who lives over five hours away from my hometown, in addition to several new friends from other parts of the country, I have become appreciative of new customs and traditions practiced in other cities. This particular college is located close to the center of New York City and I have therefore had several new experiences that taught me many things. My professors live in or around the city and therefore they, too, offer anecdotes and lessons they have learned from living in such a diverse area. I have come to appreciate new walks of life and new ways of approaching life as well as better alternatives to some of my own customs.

Czarina

The advice I would give parents and/ or students about finding the right college is to make sure you are happy with the location, the cost and the courses you will be taking. Check out the schools reputation and the facilities. After all, this is where they will be spending the next 4 years of they're life, make the best of it.

Humaira

Making the most out of your college experience will help set up your personal and professional success. The process of selecting the right school will be somewhat daunting and exciting, but it should be a process of making a wise decision. To find a college that is best suited for you, you have to visit the campus and get a feel of the community. College will become your second home, so you have to see if you are comfortable in it's environment first, so that you do not have an experience where you have regrets about your decision, because it will be a waste of time, effort and money. Make sure to include your parents in making this decision because a second or third perspective can help you narrow down your decision. While you are at college, explore the interests that you have with campus activities and clubs because you can meet people that will stimulate your experience and help you feel rooted throughout this journey. It's important for you to grow personally and intellectually so that you are a more well rounded, mature person when you recieve your diploma. GOOD LUCK!

Keep an open mind and visit as many colleges as you are able. Overnight experiences with current students are much better than a mere open house. Try visiting the campus when admissions events are not being held. Don't become hung up on worrying if you make the right choice; you always have options later should you feel you're where you want to be.

Make sure you visit the college first. First impressions are important and if the student would not find the college like home then most often the student will not like living there and go to school there. Also be active on campus that is how you meet most of your friends. The friends you meet by being active would turn into your friends for life.

megan

g

Bridget

Find what's right for YOU (the student), not what your told is right. Attend open houses, even if its more than one - you need to get a feel for the Campus before deciding if it's really the right one. GET INVOLVED. GET INVOLVED. GET INVOLVED. It was the BEST thing that I did during my four years of college - and it helped me get an amazing job.

sasha

Make sure to take advantage of all the resources your school has to offer (academic and extra curricular); it'll make your experience more memorable. And more expensive doesn't mean better as far as tuition goes; sometimes the best quality of education comes from the most unexpected places.

Lang

First, make sure that what you're planning as a career in the future is being offered on campus. Know the requirements, the curriculum, the plan and the cost. Go to orientation to get a feel of the campus and the faculty. Make sure that they staff make you feel comfortable and it feels at home. Know where everything is located.

The advice that I would give to both parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of college experience would be one saying. "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket." I was 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure that I wanted to attend a particular Division 1 University and I fell in love with the school. Unfortunately, due to an injury my senior year of high school, my D1 Baseball scholarships were retracted. I chose not to look at other universities before this point. After receiving notice that my scholarships were taken away, I had to scramble looking for D2 and D3 colleges where I could succede both athletically and academically. The coaches here, along with administration did everything they could to help me with my situation. Wrapping it all together - Keep an open mind to what college you are looking at. Do your research on various colleges. And go into everything knowing change is comming. Its a hard adjustment, but if your willing to strive for success- you will certainly find it.

Make sure you explore all your options and find the one you absolutely fall in love with and could see yourself at for 4 years!

JILLIAN

I would just tell them to make sure they make a school visit, but one through the school as well as one on their own, that way they won't be influenced by school official's opinions. I would also say to talk to current students, not just those involved in the admission process

If your looking for a small, diverse school, Mount Saint Vincent is that place for you. Although there is not an extreme emphasis on religion, you still have to take religion classes. The campus is beautiful, right on the Hudson River overlooking the Palisades. The teacher-student relationship and ratio could not be any better. The teachers are the best in their field, with plenty of published work. They really care for their students and understand that things happen sometimes. They are flexiable and will always work with any problem you may have. Your classmates are one of your most useful tools here, use them! Group study sessions really will help you and your friends. Mount Saint Vincent is overall a great place to attend college. Being a stones throw for NYC, you have the world at your hands!

When looking for a college, just don't jump at the first school that excepts you or go to a school where your friends are going. make sure that you do as much research as possible so the at you can find the best school that is for you. If you like a small school, do not go somewhere that is big. Also make sure that you have a general idea of a major that you will like and not get yourself stuck with a major that you do not want to have a career in. It is great to choose a school that has an amazing program, but make sure that you can afford it and most importantaly, have a great college experience!

I would tell parents and students to find a place that's comfortable, not too far away from home, and where you truly feel you will get the best education. My experience may not be the same for everyone so it's important to know what you want and look for a school that best meets those criteria.

Linda

My advice for choosing the right college is first figuring out what kind of environment you would like to spend everyday in. The saying is location, location, location! Look at the student handbook and compare the services the colleges have. Also, look into colleges that have a wide range of scholarship opportunities. It is very important to visit a college for an open house and ask random students (other than the tour guides) their opinion of the school. Look to see the facilities of the school, if they have a pool, tennis court, football field, gym, or recreation center. Overall, compare schools on the degree programs offered and if they even offer your choice of major. This means looking through the school's course catalog and seeing if they have interesting classes. Going to college is a wonderful experience whether you commute or reside on campus. I think to grasp the full experience is becoming a resident and enjoying the extra activities at night. College is what you make of it. If you stay focused and have a positive mind set, you can succeed.

My first piece of advice is to visit the school in which you are thinking of applying! This is where you will potentially be spending the next four years. Next, be social and makes new friends! You can meet friends in college that will be with you for the rest of your life. Maybe one of the most important thing is to do well in your classes. Don't forget, your paying all that money to learn and get an education, not to party. Many people make this mistake (especially during their freshman year) and it is very hard to come back from. We don't realize how fortunate we are to be given the chance to even go to school. Do well and succed...you'll have time to party later.

Pick a college that fits your personality. If you pay more attention in small classes, pick a school that can offer that. Make sure when you go for your interview, that you interview the school. The school wants to make sure you are a good candidate and you should make sure they are a good candidate for you. When you start school, make sure you get involved in something whether your getting paid or not. Take advantage of all resources on campus, from the computer labs, to activities they may hold, to free tutoring. If your ever unsure of anything, make sure to speak with your professor. Always go to class, and be on time. Ask questions and be attentive. Make friends with people in your class, so as you can speak with them after class to ask their opinions on the lecture and see if you have the correct understanding on the material. Also this group of friends, can turn into your study group. Most importantly, do not procrastinate. Remember, motivation and determination will get you far.

Parents need to let go and let their child experience life for themselves. Be supportive of your child, but don't expect them to follow all of the rules you set in place. When your child is looking for schools, look with them. Be a part of the process, it will help in the long run. Don't try to live through them, let them decide what he or she wants, and support that. Students finding the right college have to understand, college is about academics. It took me a long time to realize that. Go to a good school, not a party school. Honestly, as long as you put the work in, you will find the time to be social. You are paying for what amounts to be an experience. Enjoy yourself as much as you can, but don't forget that your academic responsibilities come first, especially if you are on scholarship. College lasts four years, enjoy it as much as you can. Afterwards what you learned is going to be applied in some form or another, just pray you weren't too hungover for that class.

Get started early. Don't wait until senior year of high school - junior year is a good time to start researching. If you or your children are looking for a career in the medical field, it's never to early to start volunteering. It can't hurt for any major, for that matter. As for making the most of the college experience, I would say it's important to realize that you are there primarily for your education and personal improvement, but it's important to leave some time for socializing. This should not, however, dominate or interfere with your school work. Taking courses over the summer can be a good idea if there is a possibility that you will not graduate in the normal 4 years. Some people say college is not for everyone, but I think education is extremely important. Everyone should at least try to attend college. When researching schools, consider location (rural/suburban/urban) , size, and cost. Prestige is not everything. I go to a school that many people have never heard of, but the biology program is amazing and I would not go back and change my decision to go here.

Roselle

Both the parents and student should seek advice from their school advisor in suggesting certain colleges that will best fit the student's major of choice. I strongly advise parents and students to go and visit as many different college campuses as they can in order to see what that college has to offer them. By visiting different college campuses, the student as well as the family will be exposed to the setting the college is surrounded by, the size of the campus, how are the classrooms or lecture rooms are set up, what extra-curricular activities the college has offer, and so much more. I also advise students who are interested in attending a certain college to interview a couple students about their college of interest. It would be more beneficial if the student talked to a current college student who is in the same major as they are planning to major in. By doing this, the student has a better understanding of what they expect to find and experience from college life and what they must do in order to be successful and meet their goal.

Kerri

It is essential to take everything with an open mind. When thinking about choosing a college do not rule one out right away-it may be the one that is right for you. It is important to start your search early in order to have enough time to decide where you want to go. For example, I started my search really late and regret doing that. I did, however, have an open mind when it came to this college. I had never heard of it before, but I did not rule it out. It ended up being the right college for me because it offerred the small classes and provided a friendly environment. I was able to adjust well to the new setting, while being surrounded by supportive friends and faculty. There is always going to be a period of adjustment. It's okay to not like it right away, but do not give up before you give it a try. Get involved in some activities or make friends in your classes. You never know how much you will end up loving a place once you get to know it a little bit better. You may never want to leave!

Patricia

When it comes to picking a college, try to look for something that you know will make you happy and comfortable. For students, ask yourself certain questions such as would I rather be in a class that has 300 students or in a class that only has 25? What do students do when their on breaks or during the weekends? How good is the food? For parents, ask similar questions. How is the campus security? How much financial aid can my student recieve? Look at what cultures makes up the college and see what can you learn from people who are different from yourself. College is all about taking that last step till you enter the "real" world, so why not make it the best by exploring what is around you. What can you take in from your surroundings and use it to your advantage?

I think that when choosing a college parents and children alike should think about the costs they will incurr and what they feel will be the best for them.

Make sure that you take your time to visit the colleges and really sit down and make sure you can afford a school. There is nothing worse than going to school and always worrying about finances, or being unhappy at a place that doesn't fit you. For the students: do what you feel will make you happiest, not what will make your parents happiest. And parents: Do what you can to help fulfill your child's dreams of school. I know it might be straining financially at times, but as long as they are happy and getting a good education, it makes it worth while in the end.

Yelitza

I believe that visiting the colleges before you apply is very important. You are going to be there for the next four years of your life and you need to make sure it is an environment you feel comfortable in. Once you are in college, learning to prioriotize is going to also be important. You are going to find yourself in situations where you are invited to a cool party but have a 10 page paper due the next day. You have to always keep in mind that you are here to study and obtain good grades because you are now paying for your education and it is not cheap. You can still have fun but school must always come first.