College of San Mateo Top Questions

Valerie

I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. I didn’t get into the colleges I wanted because I wasn’t focused in high school. In the end community college led me on a new career path. I feel if I had gone to a 4 year university right out of high school I would be better prepared and not feel behind. Grades in high school are so important for scholarships and getting into your dream school. It’s important to work hard that way you can chose where you want to go instead of having to settle for the only school that accepted you. Prom isn’t the end of the world, not getting into college is more like the end of the world. Stay focused, work hard, and do all you can.

College life isn't too far from high school life

Elena

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself that college is awesome because you actually become interested in the different topics that you study, rather than, finding those subjects boring. The professors are great because they make the subjects interesting, and they make you think critically and open your mind. I met a lot of new people in college and made a lot of new friends. You will have fun ! Just work hard for where you want to be, and you'll be fine. Don't worry too much ! =)

When I look at how far I've come since my senior year in high school, I'm truly amazed. I was never sure of what I wanted to do, who I wanted to become. I chose CSM as a starting point and thought I would figure it out. If I had the opportunity to tell my high school self what I know now, I would tell me to never lose motivation, to keep pushing past limits, to continue to be charitable, and to not settle for anything I am not passionate about. I would say that this is time to pursue dreams, to travel and learn about the things around me. I would say to take one step at a time and even though life may not always happen the way you want it to, good things will always happen as a result to the bad. Though I have been forced to wait an extra year to transfer because of one barely unpassed course, it is always good to appreciate the people, things, and places I have been so fortunate to see. College will allow a glimpse at who you are now and who you are destined to become.

Howard

Had I gone back in time, the best advice I'd give myself about college life would be to research the school I planned to attend. To talk to students, teachers and counselors within the institution and to make sure I was comfortable with the school?s culture, location and overall learning environment. Basically, to investigate whether it was a good match for me and my personality. This was the major mistake I made when I embarked on my educational journey: I didn?t have a road map. I knew almost nothing about the college I was about to attend. That's why I had numerous surprises during my first semester. Furthermore, I didn?t know that in college, students are more independent and have to rely on themselves to learn new concepts and perform academic research. I used to think college was like high school, where most of the explaining was done by the instructor. It was the opposite. This misconception caused me to have some hard times in the beginning. However through trial and error, I learned. I am now getting ready to transfer to a four-year university and I am following this advice to the letter.

Ramon

I currently have two jobs and go to college fulltime! If I could go back couple years, I would never get a job, rely on loans and scholarships to finish school first. I'm sure I could finish school much faster and get a better job. Once you are out there in the business world, you have so much on your mind that studying gets harder and harder. I really wish I had the resources to just focus on school only!