Las Vegas, NV
College of Southern Nevada

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of Southern Nevada

Elyse

Knowing what I know now about college life, I would tell a high school senior me to save money and work hard at school. Like many other sixteen year olds, I had a job at the first opportunity. I would spend my money on food, clothes, shoes, music -- really anything. I did not realize at the time that I would have to be paying for school very shortly. Now, I struggle trying to make payments for school and keeping up with bills. I would definitely make sure the younger me understands the concept of saving for the future. Second, I would make sure the senior me understands the importance that grades play in your future. At the time, I had the thought process that if I was never going to use the information again, there is no point in actually learning. However, I learned that grades play a very important role in everything for college, from class placement to scholarships and funding. I sometimes wish that I could go back and tell myself what I know now, but there is no point in trying to change the past. All there is to do now is change the future.

The best thing about the College of Southern Nevada are the small classes. I always feel like I get the personal attention I need in the small class of about thirty people as compared to a university class of one hundred twenty. I am not afraid to raise my hand and as a question only to be ignored because the professor does not have time to treat each student's individual needs. Most of the professors love their job and go out of their way to make sure each student has the attention they need.

When I am bragging about my school, there are three things I brag about most--small class sizes, multiple campuses, and diversity. The small class sizes make sure I get the personal attention I need when trying to learn. Each teacher goes out of their way to make sure we are understanding the information. Also, there are three CSN campuses around the Las Vegas area--northwest, south east, and west. This makes it convenient to attend class at a campus that is most convenient to you. Finally, the diversity in the school makes everyone confortable, old, young, black, and white.

San

I would praise myself for deciding to move out from my home country germany and study in a college in the USA. It has not only changed my educational career but also my personal life in the way i see the world it now. College turned me into an individual that better appreciates and values the environment in where i live. It is certainly one of the greatest times in my life because i keep learning different things allowing me to progress and become a better person. I would not only recommend myself but also EVERYBODY to take the chance to study in college and take it seriously. There is no doubt that somebody will regret it.

Staff sometimes lacks of giving relevant information to new students, especially when registration period starts and administration are overloaded with students. There should be more attractive college activities.

Everyone who wants to have an easy start from highschool as well as people who want to upgrade their career. Everyone that serioulsy want to pursue a degree and have a goal to reach.

Demi

I would tell myself to study more and get more information on scholarships and grants.

I wish I would have known more about the subjects I have to take so my GPA could be higher. I also wish I would have known more about student loans, scholarships, grants, etc. I would want to know more about how to get grants and scholarships because it would be extremely helpful if I did get some.

The worst thing about the school is that the staff isn't as helpful as I thought they would be. They aren't helpful when you're a freshman still trying to figure everything out. You pretty much have to figure it all out on your own.

I would tell myself that while your a senior, look at the bulliten board and apply for as many scholarships and grants as you can because college is not cheap. There's classes you have to pay for, books, labs and anything extra you might need. When you get to college, ask for help and take it seriously or you will be working on your degree thats suppose to take you two years and is now taking you four plus years.

I wish I had a better idea how college life would be. After you get out of high school you just figure college is the same but its alot faster and theres alot more work you have to do. So I wish high schools would put it in a better perspective for students how it is after high school.

Luis

Dear Student, Slow down. I advise you to take a moment to think about what you are dreaming of doing. Those lofty ambitions are great and you can acheive what you are dreaming of. The key to be successful in your academic career is for it to be well thought out, critically evaluated, and ask questions ! The value of sage advise from people close to you such as relatives, mature friends, and school staff is priceless. Those who have experience in the work force and/or college can provide so much insight in what you will soon commit to. Yes it is a committment. The decision you will make is serious and it can be an expensive "reset button" if you make an iladvised choice and need to start over. However, this is no reason to worry. Once you know what you will do with this education and begin your college career, it will be an amazing and unforgetable experience. There will be opportunity to meet new people, learn new concepts, and soon after earn great money! Take your time, think about what you will do with your education when you've finished, then just do it.

The fact that my choice in schools offers so many classes for non-traditional students that have full time jobs, making it a great option for professionals who want to educate themselves.

Tracy

I would do what I did - I waited to go to college until I knew what I wanted, had the real world experience to appreciate the coursework and the maturity to handle it. Sometimes going to college directly after high school isn't the right time and only ends up becoming a stress and struggle to get through and get good grades. Too many times parents put too much pressure on their kids to go to a certain school, go for a certain degree, etc. It's ultimately up to the student to decide when they are ready, where they want to go, what they want to major in - it's their life that will be effected by this huge part of their life. Not everyone is ready or wants to attend college.

The best thing about attending a College of Southern Nevada is the schedule of classes, availability of evening courses, the instructors are from my field and have first hand experience and the general population is welcoming of students that are continuing their education, not just the ones just out of high school.

That I can go to classes on my schedule, they offer online courses and I can work on 3 degrees simultaniously.

Kristin

With having to balance work and school, the College of Southern Nevada offers classes that work around my schedule. With a variety of online, night and weekend classes available, they make it easier for the students to reach their goals of earning Associate Degrees. The class sizes are small compared to other schools in the area, leaving more one-on-one time with teachers who take the time to remember you by name, not by your student identification number.

Never as a teenage did I think the choices I made would mold my future. High school was more of a social hour than anything else. Instead of studying and concentrating on school, I was more concerned with getting out on my own and experiencing life. Missing out on the college experience of living in a dorm, attending football games, and pledging to a sorority is something that can never be re-created. I decided to put my education on hold so I could work full time. I always assumed it would be easy to go back. I did not plan on the uphill struggle that I have encountered. Now older, with responsibilities like providing a roof over my head and food in my stomach, I am finding that I wish I had buckled down and concentrated on my studies when I was younger. I have made my life a great deal harder than it would have been if I had only just applied myself to my school work. If I can give one piece of advise, it is to stay in school. Sometimes its seems redundant and mundane, but it is the key to your future.

The best thing about my school is its diversity. The students range from graduating high school seniors to senior citizen. The student body consists of students who plan on earning Associate Degrees in all disciplines from Auto Body to Nursing, those that plan to transfer and those who are returning after a long absence from school and are balancing both that and work. The one thing that everyone has in common is their shared desire to be there.

Laila

I would definitely be a lot more focused. Because my head was somewhere else, I took a couple classes here, and a few classes there. Before 2009, my track record was spread out and inconsistent between 2002 and 2006. That was four years of time that I could have accomplised a bachelor's degree! So as a senior I would definitely have an actually plan and stick to it, because I didn't have the mindset that I have today, I could have had my master's by now. Now I am 26 determined to obtain my associate's and go on to the next level. It's never too late to go back to school, my mom is in her 50's working on her bachelor's at UNLV and is determined to pursue a PHD, but the key is, are you willing? It takes a will and determination, determination I did not have before.

Can't really think of anything considered to be that bad. My brother was not able to register for classes because he needed to pay a $5.00 financial hold, I thought that was a little silly, but policy is policy.

One who is not focused, and determined to get an education. Otherwise it is a waste of the individual's time and definitely money.

Christopher

My classmates are hardworking people trying to continue and/or restarting their education.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would advise myself to apply for any scholarship there was, reguardless of the requirements. I would also advise myself to do all homework, any extra credit, and seek help whenever I had a writting assignment.

People who should attend this school are people looking to complete their core credits before moving on to a university, people who do not have the funds to go straight to a university, and people who are only part time students.

elyse

The College of Southern Nevada is diverse, interesting, personal with the small classes, has very willing and helpful teachers, is perfect for students that work well in class or online, and an inexpensive jump-start to launching your education.

As a high school senior, I was not thinking much about college--not the say I should have been. I knew my parent did not have the extra money to put me through school, so i did not try to get into any schools. I would tell myself to do well in class, apply for any and all scholarships that I could get my hands on, and save money for tuition. The one scholarship that I was able to get was the Millenium Scholarship. My grades were good enough to get more, but I never applied. That was probably my biggest mistake. Even when our teachers would tell us about grants and scholarships, I was good at toning it out. I had a job from the time I was sixteen, and I should have been thinking about puting myself through college sinse I knew my parents would not have the means to do it. Now, looking back, I would have saves every penny that I earned so that I do not have to be constantly looking for places to save money now. Also, college has been no picnic. I would remind myself that the work is not easy, but possible.

If you do not have the money currently to attend a university and are trying to get your core classes completed for less, you would be perfect to attend the College of Southern Nevada. It is also great for returning to school for degrees or even for simple refresher courses.

College of Southern Nevada administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.