College of Southern Nevada

« See more reviews of College of Southern Nevada

I would tell myself to never take a break from school. It's usually so difficult to get back into the process of school and furthering your education. It can be done, however for most people it isn't as simple as it sounds. Do not get involved with credit cards without extreme caution. They can severly damage your credit and it could take several years or even decades to pay off balances, depending on how high the debt becomes. Do not get too involved with a girlfriend. Depending on how a relationship is handled or how intimate it gets, a relationship could be a major distraction against completing your college education. Before you know it, you could find yourself wanting to get married and even have kids. Afterwards, you would without a doubt need a steady job that pays very well to support your family that you've created. At this point, finishing or beginning your college education would be extremely difficult. The transition to college is far easier directly from high school because waiting to start a family until after college is far easier to handle, less stressful and much healthier for your family.

I would begin by giving myself the advice I sought after when I first wondered about college. I would tell myself that unlike in High School, the staff of Universities and Colleges are there to help you with anything you need. Be it emotional or scholastic most members of the campus staff are happy to help you learn. Second, I would reassure myself that even though college is one step away from the real world you're never too far from home. Knowing that, there's nothing to be afraid of when first stepping on to a campus. Finally, I would remind myself that I should not worry about a career choice early on in the college experience. By worrying about that in your first years of college you will end up always worrying if you made the right choice. By waiting until a career you really think you'll enjoy comes to you the thought of "did I really make the right choice?" will never come up. The college experience is something that everyone should go through and even though the transition can seem daunting at times you will quickly learn to thoroughly enjoy every aspect of campus life.

Dear Student, Slow down. I advise you to take a moment to think about what you are dreaming of doing. Those lofty ambitions are great and you can acheive what you are dreaming of. The key to be successful in your academic career is for it to be well thought out, critically evaluated, and ask questions ! The value of sage advise from people close to you such as relatives, mature friends, and school staff is priceless. Those who have experience in the work force and/or college can provide so much insight in what you will soon commit to. Yes it is a committment. The decision you will make is serious and it can be an expensive "reset button" if you make an iladvised choice and need to start over. However, this is no reason to worry. Once you know what you will do with this education and begin your college career, it will be an amazing and unforgetable experience. There will be opportunity to meet new people, learn new concepts, and soon after earn great money! Take your time, think about what you will do with your education when you've finished, then just do it.

If I went back in time to talk to my past self to give advice about college life and making its transition I would tell myself to WAKE UP!!! I was a log in my senior year of high school. I would tell myself to get active and involve myself by applying for college. I would scold myself about completing the FAFSA application as soon as possible, putting more effort in scholarships, grants, etc., calling universities and seeking out their requirements and tuition costs, studying more for the ACT, SAT, and AP exams, and asking for letters of recommendations. There would be an endless speech of advice to give myself. But, most importantly I would tell myself to be realistic and stop searching for a full ride athletic scholarship. It hurts to admit it even now, but in that senior year of HS, I did not posses the skills or athleticism to obtain an athletic scholarship. I would open my past self's eyes and put him to focus on what was obvious to me now; thatwas getting accepted to a proper university. Perhaps if I did these things I would not have wasted half a year of my life.

networking is good, dont be a hermit, connections and diferent perspectives are good to have especially if you miss a day of school and need to know the assignment or you don't understand an assignment. practice good study habits, you'll never be able to perfect it. work first play later but always find some time to unwind or you'll burn out. learn every good time management skill you possibly can. don't compare your academic abilities to others just always push to do better. the microwave doesn't always kill food poisoning. pay attention to the teacher not the students in class, those people might not be there later but your knowledge and grades will always follow you. always try to learn everything you can, not just whats required. top ramen is a great meal and affordable, learn to improve and embellish it. get on a good sleeping schedule, stop staying up all night and living off of 2 hours sleep or it will catch up with you. eat!! start figuring out which college you want to go to and what for now. dont ever date anyone who doesn't push you to better yourself.

I would have definitely start thinking about college as early as Freshman year. I would have worked and studied hard not only with SATs but by becoming a more well-rounded person. I wouldn't have joined so much school activities that I didn't really love but I joined simply because it looked good on a resume, but I would have just worked extra hard on the activities that I really did love and care about. I would have established a better relationship with my school counselors and teachers as well as my fellow classmates since the ability to work well with others is one of the biggest assets that college look for in a candidate. I would have ventured out in other extra curricular activities, not only in school but in the community as well and volunteered more. Volunteering is such a big plus because it shows selflesness and being an active and caring member of society and having recommendations belonging from those outside school proves that you are a very well rounded person. Also, if you are a senior and you haven't done any of this stuff, it's never too late!

The possibility of going back in time would be outstanding, I would be warning myself not to do certain things, like dual college. That was not fun, ended up causing problems in the long run. That's one thing I would tell my younger self, second thing, would to tell myself that I am my own father. Just to see if I even got that reference when I was younger. Basically, warn myself about what I really need to do with my life, choosing the correctly career path for things, applying for better aid, instead of trying to fastforward myself through the 'real world'. Even though that some of the credits I got from high school, some of them did not transfer over, just to be wary of that. Also, to look out for some people saying certain things for internship for computer science degrees, which were scams. That learning scripting will help out in the long run, due to most programs using some like C++ and Java. Brushing up on your cooking skills is a plus too, due to the fact that instant noodles won't work in the long run, and keep working out, to be healthy.

As a confused and overwhelmed high school senior, I would tell myself to relax and understand that while time may be our worst enemy, an eighteen year old does not need to look down on themselves for not having their entire future planned out at this very moment. The first and second years of college allow you to simultaneously continue your education in general studies, while helping you either pursue or determine your future career goals. It is important that you focus on your courses, get work done on time, try your absolute best, and do not waste time or money by not attending class. However, enjoy yourself, interact with your fellow peers, engage in student activities, and most importantly, do not be afraid to ask for help. The college experience, all people and services included, is here to guide you. This is a time in your life where you will discover your true self, who you wish to be in the years to come, and will lead you on that desired path. Follow your dreams, and do not let single speedbumps get in your way. This is your time to shine.

Dear Jenine, The hardest part will be adjusting to the study load. In highschool you can do extra credit and retake tests. Some teachers may even let you get away with turning in assignments late. College will do a better job of preparing you for the real world. Teachers will rightly expect you to show up to class on time and be ready to learn. The best advice is really simple, come prepared to learn, study hard, listen to your teachers and you'll do fine. College is an amazing learning opportunity, so don't waste it. You will have the rest of your life to work, socialize and go to parties. Focous on the task at hand and you will reap the benefits. One of the wonderful things about college, is it's ok to be a nerd. You don't have to be a cheerleader or a football player. College will be an amazing and pivitol point in your life. You will make life impacting decsions, so be careful about your choices. You will make new friends that will last a life time. You will make career choices and discover hidden talents. You will grow into yourself.

If I could travel back in time and warn myself of the challenges I face today as a college student , the conversation would be pretty lengthy. One of the most important things that I would say to myself is not to wait. It is the desire of many high school students to take a break before they go to college. They take a semester off. However, one semester turns into two, then three, and before you know it you've been out of school for an entire year. Why wait? Jump right back into school and take advantage of all of the opportunities that await you. After high school, I waited a year before I decided to enroll in school. I think that this is one of my biggest regrets. In my opinion, waiting to enroll in college just makes the process harder. Enrollment, admission, financial aide, and getting used to being a student again became and obstacle for me. After being out of school for a year, getting back into the groove of student life became more of a challenge. I believe that if I would've went straight into school, this process would've been a lot easier.