College of Staten Island CUNY Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for College of Staten Island CUNY

KEN

Initially, my university has a wide range of departments. In particular, the Department of Computer Programming, where I am studying, is very specialized. Therefore, the employment rate is not bad. Also, students can ask questions to professors and faculty members when they have questions. If you want to contact your professors, you can check their office hours by asking faculty and staff. The students get along well with each other, so you can have a fun campus life.

Mirian

I think that it's a good college and affordable. Teachers encourage you to reach out for help, and they are quite friendly. I liked my experience in the counseling center, where they were incredibly supportive to me and understanding of situations I went through.

Starlight

College of Staten Island is a college in a suburban area. It has a huge campus that accommodates many students and extracurricular activities. The faculty members I've had there is always helpful and friendly. They wish their students the best when it comes to their academic career and future aspirations.

alissa

CSI is a great 4 year community college. There are many classes to choose from and the teachers make the classes enjoyable. There are many staff and faculty to talk to if there is ever a problem or just need help. The students on campus are friendly and easy to get along with.

Demetrius

College of Staten is known for having not the best reputation . I highly disagree , this college opportunity and potential , it may not be the NYU , Georgia State or Ivy league but this college could bring you places never thought before , if you actually invest the time you spend there . fifty seven percent attends tuition free . How many colleges could say that ? Along with walk in and by appointment tutors for every subject and class the colleges gives . Not all schools have that opportunity . On the other hand , it maybe not have the best staff but it goes right along with some of the students attitude. You give what you get , with a little bit of positive attitude a lot would change and make this experience a lot of fun

It is a great college, and it gives off a very homely feel. There isn't much student involvement because a lot of students are commuters and they just want to go home after class. The faculty is very generous and kind, and they will help with any ongoing issues that you have. Overall it is a wonderful college if you are looking for a home away from home.

Gianna

I am currently an undergrad student majoring in business. It is going to be my fourth semester and I have learned a lot over my past semesters! I was skeptical about staying local for college, but I have experienced countless benefits. I am close to home, can have a steady job, and enjoy all the comforts of my hometown! The tuition is incredibly affordable. Also CSI has excellent teaching and nursing programs. Definitely a perfect option for someone wanting to get the most for their money.

Donica

My overall opinion about the CUNY College of Staten Island, is that it's an up and coming school. They've recently became more stricter on us about our grades. They're trying to expand the campus even more. However, it would be a better experience if we had more professors who were there to actually teach rather than be here for a pay check. Furthermore, it would be even a better environment if there were more school events for the student body and falculty to get involved in. It would be nice to also have more hands on lectures and more class trips. The only way to get jobs in most of our desired fields is by having experience.

Victoria

There are good days and there are bad days just like on any other campus. There isn't a wide variety of clubs so it's limiting unless you want to start your own. The college is slowly growing so hopefully more activities will pop up. The education is 50/50, if you choose the right major there are teachers who will bend over backwards because they love what they do, and then there are classes where it will make you second guess your career choice.

Nikki

CSI is definitely a unique school. There are those that come to CSI because they simply want a college-level education; there are some that are forced to go there due to their parents; there are some that want to go there for some of our greatest programs like Nursing and English. I was an in-between. I received a scholarship in full to a private university in NJ. Unfortunately, because I was very young upon entering college in 2010, my parents didn't want me to go. I ended up at CSI and hated it — at first. After declaring my major (English: Creative Writing), I began to notice just how lucky I was to be in such an awesome and unique program. My writing classes were nothing short of great. I was taught by three professors (Cate Marvin, Sarah Schulman, Patricia Smith) who were all highly-distinguished and each have a Guggenheim Award. My writing went from simply a hobby to "this is my life" very quick, thanks to these amazing professors. CSI doesn't offer a lot of help with selecting course. Yes, you see an academic advisor. But they need to see hundreds upon hundreds of students a day in an overcrowded school. They don't give the best advice. However! Once you are passed the academic advisor stage and will finally be seen by an advisor in your major, things become so much easier and individualized. My advisor (also one of my professors and my mentor, Cate Marvin) helped me with writing, courses I should take based on my interests, and more. During my final year at CSI, I was able to have one-on-one chats with her about graduate school options. She was the only professor to care enough about her students to create an MFA Writing Workshop in which selected students applying to MFA programs critique and workshop each others' work (i.e. manuscript, letter of intent, etc.) to be submitted to the MFA program of their choosing. This is something that is only offered if you've had one of Cate's classes. It is not in the CSI Teacher's Handbook to do something like this; it was all Cate Marvin. In other majors, they might not offer such help. We were the lucky ones. CSI's campus is massive. It is the largest campus in the CUNY system; however, it is also a public campus. Many people come onto campus to use our facilities - mainly our Recreation Center (gym, racquetball courts, basketball courts, track, pool). Personally, this created a bit of an unsafe feeling. We do have campus police that are attentive and responsive to the students' needs. For example, if you are parked far from the current building you are taking class in, you could call campus police and they will escort you to your vehicle. I feel the price of food on campus is off the charts and has been made more expensive since CSI built the dormitories. CSI students who are not residents are not permitted to enter the dormitories, although most of our tuition went to these buildings. There are many food options, but for the price , it isn't worth it (i.e. paying $9 for a small salad). Overall, it depends on the person, their experience(s), and their major when it comes to reviewing CSI. It can be great. It can suck. If it weren't for Cate Marvin and Jen Durando, I would've hated it. But I didn't and I'm glad I graduated from CSI after learning under such amazing professors.

Anna

The College of Staten Island has been a revelation for me as a student. The professors and other faculty members have always been helpful with any of my issues and are easily accessible. Moreover, as a transfer student there is a stark contrast between my experience here and my previous school. While in my previous school, the campus made me feel like I was in a prison, the College of Staten Island has a very nice campus that truly makes you feel as if you are part of something. As I mentioned earlier, the faculty is simply incredible, there are many issues that come with being a transfer student and yet my experience has been incredibly easy with a smooth transition.

Joanne Marie

CUNY College of Staten Island has helped me succeed and gain confidence in myself through education. The staff is exceptional and friendly. I have never encountered a problem on this campus that the school was not 100% committed to solving.

Abdonnie

I am a first generation freshman at CUNY CSI, and overall it's not too bad. Just completed my first semester and I can give an honest review about the professors. Some professors are not the best, but others will go out of their way to make sure you understand their work so that you can succeed in the future whether that be classes or overall career. If the professor isn't good, well go to the tutoring centers, and trust me they are all over campus. If you don't like the tutoring centers because sometimes it can be extremely crowded especially during finals week, then make friends before finals. When you have theses friends, you guys are able to study together in groups so that there is a support group. Do not allows relay on ratemyprofessor.com , for some you have to and others don't. Ask previous students who have had that class about the professor. I say not too, since I had a math professor whose ratings sucked a lot and people dropped his class till there was 8 students not giving him a chance. They were mighly wrong as I can say, I am NOT the best person for mathematics, but yet I excelled at his class and now have a B+. So, take that website with a grain of salt and look at the grade that student received before listening to them. 'Cause if they failed, obviously they are going to give a bad grade. In addition, this college is great for making connections as although CSI gets a bad representation because of its location (basically middle of no where, I'm a Brooklyn girl always have a corner store around me, not this time) , the students (some) and professors (some) are actually of high class. I am not going to lie there are some idiots, but you have to deal with them throughout life to get to where you want to be. Anyway, a lot of CSI students move on to graduate schools from CUNY's to out of state and even the oh holy "IVY LEAGUES". So don't worry, spend cheap on undergraduate and save for graduate! Trust me that's what I am doing since I'm double majoring in Bio-Neuroscience & Business- Management thus, having to go to both Medical and Business school! So good luck and may the odds be forever in your favor!

Siham

I believe this school is quite good for the tuition price. You get what you pay for. As it is a part of CUNY it gives the students to participate in multiple CUNY activities. The classes and professors are for the most part very competent and very interesting. There is perhaps a miscommunication between the departments that results in miscommunication in the information you need about courses and requirements. I like my school and I am thankful for the connections I have been able to create through it.

rajintha brian

The best college in Newyork , the facilities and everything's are perfect . best professors

Melanie

the times that i have visited the school have been great.nice people who tells you the truth whether you like it or not . the campus could use a little updating.

alyssa

A school where you go to class and right home, not much student life outside of the classroom.

Luciana

I think it is a decent school with a lot of well-educated professors. I do wish that it offered more things to get students to be more social though. I find at this college, since it is a commuter school, that many students go home straight after classes and don't join clubs. This makes making friends a little difficult. I would like my school to offer more clubs to its students.

davion

Staten island is aver business orientated school. we go there to get are work done and get are degrees. we have some fun while doing it but most importantly it feels like home everyone is nice and are pretty easy to approach and very helpful. Also the teachers and admnistration are all there to help you and see you succeed

Christine

The College of Staten Island CUNY provides an overall great college experience by facilitating a conducive learning environment and providing a wide range of extracurricular activities. Classes take place on a beautiful and spacious campus with tree-lined roads and large open spaces that students readily take advantage of whether sitting out on the great lawn to study or throw around a football. State of the art sport facilities are perfect for releasing some stress with a fully equipped weights room to an Olympic sized swimming pool and full sized basketball court. Although the athletic team compete at a division III level, there is no shortage of excitement or lack of school spirit. The bleachers are always packed with students and faculty supporting school pride. The library is equipped with state of the art computers and rooms are stocked with textbooks and resources of every topic imaginable. Staff is always available to answer questions and encourage discussions outside of the classroom for continued learning. There is plenty of parking for those who wish to drive or campus is easily accessible using public transportation. Shuttle buses are scattered throughout campus making travel easy between campus. My colleagues were genuinely interested in learning which fostered a creative and innovative atmosphere. Many students were focused on their studies and ignored any distractions that may be associated with the “college experience.” Administration is very helpful and supportive of students wanting to achieve their goal and work towards their degree in hopes of one day making it their career.

Ayomide

needs better teachers

krystle

CSI is a very clean campus, with lots of parking and teachers that make themselves reachable to all students. The material is always presented in a make sense kind of way and there is lots of academic support available on and off campus for students who still struggle.

Rafiat

It is an okay school. I am now a graduating college senior and have had an average experience so far. The library is beautiful but barely has enough private study rooms for group studying. The professors are nice but some of them are not approachable. The food is good but can nothing beats home food and the social and general life there is okay but not extreme which I think is good because too much activities can be distracting but so far, I come to love and grow with my college.

Kimberly

It's an okay school. There's not really a greek life like parties or events and much doesn't really happen on campus. I've personally never ate this school's cafe food, but from the looks of it, it's not pretty appetizing and it's definitely overpriced. Everyone pretty much goes to their classes and go back home or to their dorm rooms.

Katelynn

The college is very much a public school and depending on what you do with it, it can be a very different experience from one person to the next. The off campus at St.George is a more intimate classroom experience but tends to have more rigorous teachers and more I applied students that commute and often come in late dispite the strict attendance. The main campus is very lively and classes are pretty full but the teachers are more lively. The student resource staff is pretty helpful but can sometimes be under informed on where to send the student. The sports are pretty competitive for a division three school. Basketball seems to be the most watched by the school. They also offer recreational sports but you either get pre-established groups that may be hard to break into or people that are unreliable. The school is fairly cheap and majority of the students there are assisted from the state and have little to no college debt.

Kelsey

its amazing with a great campus. i love being on campus and everyone is so inviting. the clubs are open to everyone and anyone is invited. the support system on campus is amazing, if you go to on campus counseling you feel very welcome and its a breath of fresh air from the city life around.

Janice

The College gives you opportunities in any way. You also get to learn a lot with professors that really enjoys teaching and you get to meet students that are there to really leasrn not to waste time. I personally like this college and I will do my best to pass all my classes.

Janice

It is a great College for students that are perusing a Career starting on a two year or 4 years. It is a great opportunity to meet new people and socialize even more. When you put your effort on great things that you want to do , your future becomes even brighter each day that you are there. In my opinion I would tell evey of my friends not just to go to College to meet people but to have an education for the future. You want to better yourself in life not go back.

Arian

College of Staten Island has its own little quirks about itself. It can be very accessible by bus or by car. It has a great reputation. Many people would be afraid to go there because it has obtained the title as a "second high school" because most people from Staten Island do attend there, but that's not the case. The teachers can be very helpful. There are tutors across campus in various subjects. There is working opportunities on campus. Some of the staff members are very helpful and kind enough to help certain students with their things and to help them understand the outside world of early adulthood. It's a great place.

It’s a very good school I noticed it’s D2 now ,also this is my dream school love it there can’t wait to get accepted and go there.This school is huge I love the housing and dorms it’s really cool you get the experience of how to live on your own and learn how to share rooms with others .

I believe the school could be a lot better if they reconstruct their Financial Aid and Bursar office. No one is ever nice or welcoming and it makes the process a lot more difficult than it needs to be. The cafeteria food can also be a lot better, its normally stale or not as fresh and the pricing for it was never great.

Alicia

I like the College of Staten Island, there are always things you can change, but my overall score of the school would be a B+. I was a student athlete, and I am very happy I participated in a sport, that is the way to go to get involved. We have lots of campus activities, and so many clubs.

Theresa

It's a commuter school so most students aren't involved in much, but there is a small community of people that are. Administrators are very helpful, most teachers are wonderful. The college accepts everybody which is their motto but that has some negative effects; the low graduation rate and the laissez-faire attitude of most undergrads in the general population. However I have had nothing but pleasant experiences. I'm a part-time student so I don't get involved much, but if I wanted to I can't because I would need to take 12+ credits which I can't afford.

viola

It’s overall a good school. Any college is what you make into it with your experiences and what you do with it. Just like annoy other colleges it needs alittle improvement but other that it’s a great school , for it to be a cuny. And it’s a cuny that has amazing housing , not a lot of other cuny’s have.