College of the Canyons Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for College of the Canyons

Jayme

It is a very great school to attend.. Instructors are very helpful, and will really go the distance. It is a nice safe campus. Staff in all departments are very friendly. Students are friendly. Courses are challenging, and that helps me to achieve the good education that I have achieved at College of the Canyons. The Mesa Dept. is really good for Science Majors as well, and there are several extracurricular groups that somebody can attend after hours.

Diamond

I love College Of The Canyons. It’s a great school to go to for your first two years. You save an abundant amount of money and the educational value is great. There are many teachers who are always available for any questions and most teachers want their students to be successful and pass the class. College of the Canyons has many activities and clubs such as ASG, Alpha Omega Christian Club, LGBTQ+ Club, Communications Club, and the like. COC is very welcoming and open. We have an award winning track, baseball, golf, soccer, and football teams. Many students graduate with honors and we have many resources to help us keep our grades up. There are therapist on campus you can talk to for emotional support and the health and wellness center has great resources for health test. College of the Canyons was the best community college I could’ve gone to.

Andrea

College of the canyons is a wonderful school wit amazing faculty! The student can be really cliques and there are a ton of big comic book and gamer nerds there. The best is the nurses we have a lot of students training to become certified nurses. The Teachers are amazing however the food is not.

Riley

College of the Canyons is an amazing place for students from all walks of life! Everything from the classes themselves to the clubs and activities are designed to accommodate just about anyone who wants to attend. Classes take place at many different times, places, and paces, to fit any schedule. COC has a wide selection of majors that are transferable to both public and private schools for students with plans on transferring. There are departments in place to help veterans and disabled students reach their educational goals here. Even the clubs on campus cover a diverse array of interests and hobbies! No matter who you are or what your circumstances, there's a place for you here at College of the Canyons.

Jeannette

I love it! Very green unlike where I come from; a desert. There are lots of friendly faces. People are kind enough to answer your questions when you’re new.making friends are easy, sadly you have to keep making new ones every semester. There are plenty of opportunities here!

Paola

I am beyond thankful that I chose to go to College of the Canyons as it has opened up so many opportunities and allowed me to excel to a point I wasn't capable of. I can't think of one professor that I had throughout my two years of being here that wasn't devoted to helping their students learn. All my professors have their regular office hours but are always open as well to figuring out a mutual time that works outside of their office hours, from what I have seen they are completely open with developing relationships with students in order to help them learn in a way that is easier for them. As for the resources the school provides, they are excellent! You have free tutoring, counseling, computers, books, printers, and plenty of beautiful places on campus to sit quietly and do some homework. The campus is beautiful itself which provides a peaceful feeling as you make your way to class, what I admired the most was seeing so much greenery and at least always seeing a bunny or two around campus. College of the Canyons exceeded my expectations and I am forever grateful for how far the school has helped me come in life.

Jillian

College of the canyons, is a good place to start your college career and getting yourself to another college asap. Coc does have a few issues with actually paying its student services and tend to not be the best with coordinating classes and the counselors seem to have some issues, getting students where they need to be in order to graduate. But all in all the campus isn't bad and the professor's can be pretty decent, depending on who you get.

I truly enjoy going to college here. This isn't one of the big colleges that have room and board. It's my town's small community college that has a beautiful atmosphere as well as great staff and teachers ready to help you learn. Never have I been disappointed in this schools teaching ability.

Jonathan

In general, the experience was great. There are plenty of organizations and clubs to join as well as resources to take advantage of. Personally I was able to save a lot of money by joining the EOPS program. This program is great since they provide tutors, counselors, and book vouchers. MESA is a must for all STEM majors since they provide students with counselors and tutors/professor hours.

Diego

Even though College of the Canyons is a community college, its campus, infrastructure and facilities can compare to a four-year university. Before coming here, I was studying in a four-year private university for one semester, and I can say that many professors of this college and the level of education is higher than some four-year universities. There are many opportunities to get involved with campus activities and community such as club, events, volunteer opportunities, internships, between others. In addition, College of the Canyons offers any kind of sports at a really high level, with amazing facilities and with a really well prepared sports staff. I think this college could be one of the best community colleges in the U.S. and I feel I am getting really well prepared here to transfer.

Nicholas

The school is great. They need to update their choice of majors. There are not enough health field majors in my opinion as compared to colleges within driving distance. There is so many choices out there now for great careers and College of the Canyons should explore what their neighbors are doing well. As such, I am dual enrolled in another college to gain access to a degree related to Nursing because of the wait list. The waitlist is some 18 months in length and when you are trying to finish a career program in order to access a career, that is a long time. Access to GE's is awesome--they are big on your finishing and not having GE's hold you up. Major courses are another story. Classes are a great size. Had one bad teacher in 30 units of courses. She tended to entangle herself in offense to paper content. She hadn't figured out free speech in collegiate environments. I will keep my eyes open and my speech free. Other than these small things. It's a great school.

Paula

I grew up knowing about College of the Canyons and so I have become comfortable with the campus. I believe the campus is pretty big for a community college and has a nice scenario. Lots of shopping centers near by. The teachers are caring but there is limited parking.

Steffanie

College of the Canyons is a great school to attend if you don't want to be far from home. I will have completed two AAs in a little over a year here, and I was still able to work and hang out with friends. The classes have flexible hours and the professors are great.

Courtney

College of the Canyons (COC) was the first college I attended. I actually started when I was still in high school. Being able to earn high and college credit was amazing. Starting in high school gave me a leg up when I began as a full time student. I knew of the culture and where everything was. It is an amazing place to be when you want to take your time with deciding a major, want to save money, and begin relationships with your professors you can use as future references. All of my professors were accessible which I know helped me succeed.

College of the Canyons is overall, an excellent school. Small class sizes allow for you to truly enjoy the class and feel like you are actually a part and not just another body in a seat. Professors are available when you need them and they actually take the time to get to know you so that you will succeed in their class. Definitely a school you want to go to and it helps that the campus is very beautiful and tranquil.

Tony

My overall opinion of college of the canyons is that it is a great school for seniors in high school to go to for two years , achieve their assosciates degree and later transfer to a university. It's great because faculty staff and professors make sure that you are taught and educated about a subject before moving on and let's say you don't get something in class, most professors are available for you outside of class.

Bailey

I enjoy going to school here, however it is only a community college and does not offer all of the same aspects of a four year college. I am very excited to finish all of my requirements here and move on to a four year out of state if it is economically possible for me in the near future. It has always been my biggest dream to go to school in Washington state and so this school is just a solid stepping stone in my life to get me where I need to go to achieve bigger and better things for myself and for my future!

Kiera

College of the Canyons has a beautiful campus. Out of all the community colleges I have visited this is by far the nicest. The atmosphere is pleasant and provides a great place to learn. The professors genuinely care about their students' success and are great mentors. The only downfall is the lack of student life and the fact that there is no campus living.

Jaime

I think College of the Canyons is a great stepping stone for students completing general education and lan to transfer out to a four year instituition. However, my favorite aspect of College of the Canyons is the Business major professors. They are all very helpful, knowledgable, and intuitive.

Mason

College of the Canyons is a great place to get started in the college world. The class sizes are manageable, professors are great and easy to get a hold of, and the community in general is very nice. It is close to home for me and a fantastic school overall. The only downside is the lack of extra curricular activities offered but that is ok since it its just a community college.

Romir

For a community college, it's probably one of the best ones to go to in the Los Angeles County (if you don't mind the drive out). I've gone to LAVC and Pierce, those two campuses definitely feel like a place to get in and get out, no real sense of community or talking to one another here. College of The Canyons has a little bit of a more friendlier feel and the classes aren't as packed as the others. I've only gotten waitlisted a couple times for classes but thats for the more core classes. Some teachers are really good and some aren't, specifically in the math department, they could use a couple more talented teachers there. The dining isn't that great and the parking situation is horrible at times. Overall a good choice for a community college.

Zannia

College of the Canyons is an incredible place to be. I used to hear such awful things about community college, and how it was a place for rejects and outcasts to go when there wasn't anything left. But I have been there since my Freshman year of high school, and it has been nothing but supportive, both through students and professors. I will always be grateful for the opportunity and friends I gained there.

Matthew

COC is an exceptional communtity college that offers great academic and financial support to all students. There is an active club environment with an involved student body. The academics are of fantastic quality, which I believe have equipped me with the tools I’ll need going into UCSB this Fall.

Samuel

The Valencia campus is pleasant, quite good-looking in fact and fairly large for a community college. It is located just next to CalArts. The classes are in good shape, the buildings are clean and modern, the library is nice and useful. The sports facilities are quite good. The online access is not the sexiest but it does the job. They have added so many buildings and upgraded the classrooms. The school has such an easy flow to it, meaning everything is centered around the quad. You have a big beautiful grass area that welcomes you in and from there you can find any building. The library has been extended and the TLC lab is new and improved. It has grown 10 fold and is so up to date. The staff in the TLC lab are really helpful and will work with you on any subject. I have spent hours there working on english papers and done multiple rewrites with their assistance. They have offered insight, advice, and pointers. It's very reassuring when the students and employees want to work so hard to help you successful. Then you have the student services part of the campus. It's the building that welcomes you the minute you walk onto campus from the front entrance. It's big and beautiful and full of fantastic people. You can get all your basic questions answered here, plus registration questions, financial aid assistance, counseling assistance, etc. This is the go to building when you first want to sign up for classes or once you become a student and need to learn more. The bookstore works with Barnes and Noble and is located on campus. You can order your books ahead and pick them up in store, or order online and ship to your home, or just go to the store and pick them up. Either way it's a nice set up and works with any schedule. The teachers are mostly awesome. Over the past year I have had some really great teachers that taught me a lot and helped me grow as a student. I have had teacher who were there to do their job and go home. Then I had a few teachers who treated us like we were in jr high. Those ones kind of bug but I have reviews on rate my professor so that others don't take their classes. A few bad teachers is not a reason to miss out on the chance to go here.

Because College of the Canyons is a community college, it lacks the big perks (e.g. dorms) of a university. However, the college makes up for them with amazing staff and resources (e.g. counselors, health center, cafeteria, etc.). Of course, if you want them, you need to use them. Although many extracellular activities exist on campus, student life is a bit on the quiet side. Many students simply attend classes and leave afterwards. In a way, you have the option to have an active or quiet student life.

Geanna Jada

College of the Canyons has been my school for the past 4 years. There is a reason I haven't left. It is inexpensive, a decent looking campus, and possesses the classes necessary for general Eds and more. Professors are a hit and miss occasionally, but that is what Rate My Professor is for. I believe that there are no such thing as bad teachers, only bad students. Some professors teach and others don't, but it's really up to the students to step up their academic rigor. Overall, College of the Canyons is a great inexpensive and strategic way to pursue an education.

Matthew

It is a great community college and really useful for getting ahead in your studies. It is important to remember it is a community college, however. I have been taking classes here since I was 14 years old, as my high school, Academy of the Canyons, is partnered with the college and allows high school students to take college classes, and most of the classes I have taken have been well designed and well supported by teachers.

Prach

;sddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Sergio

I think CoC is a great college to start a higher education with a lot of opportunities. It has a great environment with great people that you can meet, and the extracurricular activities help me meet more people. I was in soccer and it was a great activity. Also, in the classes, the students are really helpful and they are always trying to help with everything.

Skye

I think it is a respectable school with intelligent, progressive professors and many resources that prompt student success. I find the classes to be interesting, valuable, and enriching. The campus is beautiful, clean, and safe. The location is excellent - right by shops, food, and recreation.

Marisela

It was a very nice community college to attend and graduate from the counselors there are super helpful on making your transitions easy and stress free . The classroom sizes are relatively small just like in high school I’d say which makes the transition from high school to college very easy

Jonathan

My overall experience at College of the Canyons was 50/50. I made some friends there, but I wouldn't want to stay there more than a year (which is what happened anyway). The classroom experience I had was incredible, with great teachers and fellow classmates. The good thing is that I got a lot of my upper level courses out of the way toward my BA degree. The downside is that the atmosphere isn't the best environment to be in. Overall, it was a good while it lasted.

Hashir

I am a huge fan of the school. From the school location to the student resources available there are many things I appreciate. I also love the architecture of the school it’s beautiful and inviting

Alyssa

COC is a great school. It is a community college so the atmosphere is different than say a four-year university. Classes are quite large, but professors seem active and try to helpp students. COC gets a bad reputation for "just" being a community college, but it is a great school!

Cole

College of the Canyons is a great institution with an unbelievable amount of different opportunities for students inside and outside the classroom. While the University has a large section dedicated to Arts and culinary, they are constantly expanding and upgrading their biology and chemistry buildings. If those do not suit your interest though, College of the Canyons offers classes in welding, computer sciences, business, and many more. At College of the Canyons I also feel like everyone is accepted for who they are, and people are friendly in general. Everyone understands that we are all in the same boat, trying our best and the support from students and staff is excellent. There is free tutoring, plenty of clubs that I guarantee you will find something you like, and with inspiration from the Hands on Earth environmental club, implementations are constantly being made in order to better support the natural environment that helps to make the campus so beautiful. The staff in the Administration building are also exceedingly willing to help students plan their path to their associates degrees, certificates, and or transfer needs, if you are ever feeling lost in what to do next, they are sure to help you find your way. Lastly, the campus itself is clean, easy to navigate, and provides all the amenities that students need. There are plenty of places to study inside and outside, a large library, a school nurse and therapist, plenty of computers for student use and even a large selection of different food options in the cafeteria to suit the needs of everyone including vegetarian All in all, College of the Canyons is a great school and a great choice for anyone looking to further their education and should be highly considered by anyone living in the area. If you come here, you will leave beyond satisfied with the education and experience the staff has provided.

Nycole

My overall opinion of The College of he Canyons is that the academic life is great the Professors seam to be interested in your education. The campus offers a lot resources such as the Library, TLC center and the academic advisers and specialist that are readily available to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your education.

College of the Canyons has provided me with so many opportunities to learn. I always thought that community college was a last resort. However, after attending this college, I now know that it's the first choice and the best choice. It's affordable and challenging.

Katiah

I used to be embarrassed of saying that I was attending a community college, when I first applied to College of the Canyons. Since for some it is not what you call the " college experience" although the years I attended this school, before my transfer gave me so much insight that I'll be taking onto my next step of pursuing a higher education. First of all, it 's affordable, safe, friendly, and they have the best coffee! This place made me feel ready for the next steps in life, my professors took the class time seriously, which made me become a better performer in the classroom. College of the Canyons made me live in the study rooms, I could've paid rent, the library was also my second home. I spent day and night on campus for my grades, and it made me realize it doesn't matter if it's community college or not but it is all about environment and the effort you put into it.

Kiley

I started taking classes at College of the Canyons the summer after my sophomore year of high school. My first impression of the college was that the professors were extremely responsive to messages and helping their students achieve in their classes. However, I have experienced one math professor that has out rightly been rude and demining to students' characters and went out of his way to see students fail. Overall my impression of the teachers is one of the reasons I continue to take classes on a regular basis at this community college. Another positive aspect of College of the Canyons is the TLC (Testing and Learning Center). With free tutors offered at anytime I could want, I have been able to maintain a strong GPA while better understanding the materials. All in all, my experience at College of the Canyons has been extremely positive and encouraging.

Paris

My overall opinion of College of the Canyons is that it is one of the best community colleges in California. While there are things that can be improved such as food options, more music involvement, and certain academic departments this college really does care about us the students. It's a very welcoming environment were all students can feel accepted.