Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Tate

school is a great size. small community where almost every teacher will do everything they can to help you. Caring environment.

"Hate not here" is a slogan of ours on many signs around campus. Students here are described as "nice."

i'm in my physics professor's office for 3 hours a week.

couldn't tell you. i dont know.

Eric

Holy Cross is a college that will make you successful. The buildings and athletic facilities make the campus one of the most beautiful in the country. The campus sits atop Mt. St. James, and overlooks the city of Worcester, where there are plenty of things you can find to do. The location is great, as it is a gated campus, separated from the outside world. But it is right next to a major city, allowing you to instantly find things to do. The size of the college is around 3,000 students. This allows for a close community atmosphere. The size of the campus is perfect: not too big where you will be lost in the shuffle, but not too small where you see all the same people every day. The class sizes are small, averaging less than 15 students per class. The faculty are always helpful, as they are always there for one in need. The school pride is second to none, as the athletic facilities get packed for any varsity game.

There is no specific type of student that should (or should not) attend Holy Cross. People from all walks of life come to Holy Cross, with one thing in common: do well in school, and have fun while you're here. As I stated above, students from any financial background come to Holy Cross because of the great amount of needs-based financial aid provided. There is no discrimination here.

Holy Cross is the place to be!! Nothing bad about it!!

The stereotypes about the students are not at all accurate. Since coming here in Fall 2007, I have met only nice, generous people. And because Holy Cross offers need-based financial aid, students come to Holy Cross from all financial backgrounds. The stereotypes about the college are true. From traveling around New England for baseball, I have seen some Ivy League campuses and they are very comparable to Holy Cross.

Academics at Holy Cross are challenging, but manageable. The professors are here for you: to make you a better student, and ready to help you whenever you need it. They are available at almost any time, even outside of their specified office hours. Students at Holy Cross are focused, working hard to do well in class. There are often study groups seen in the library. The education at Holy Cross is wholeheartedly geared toward one learning things specific to their major, as it will help them after college in the work force.

Social life is great here. Most all students keep their dorm rooms open, as everyone is welcoming. Parties are there for students who want them...but because there are no fraternities or sororities, students can stay away from the partying if they want to. Holy Cross also offers a substance-free dorm for students who want to stay away from alcohol.

Some stereotypes are that the students are snobby and all come from wealthy family backgrounds. For the school itself, it is thought of as a college comparable to an Ivy League School.

KC

From a job application essay I wrote recently about school spirit: The most memorable experience of my Holy Cross career was accompanying the basketball teams to both NCAA Tournaments in 2007. As a member of the pep band, the NCAA flew me to Columbus, Ohio, to help cheer on the men's basketball team in the middle of last March. The trip was unbelievable. I was able to go for free to one of the biggest sporting events in the country where I had a courtside seat, and I had a chance to spend a weekend with my friends away from schoolwork. The best part of the weekend, and a memory I am sure will stay with me for ever, happened just before the game: the band walked into the packed stadium through the team entrance, and the Holy Cross students' section, which was immediately to our right, erupted. We were thirty band geeks with no athletic talent, but the Holy Cross fans were excited enough to see our purple and white shirts that they cheered far louder than the Illinois fans did when their team scored a three pointer less than a minute later. There were four schools playing in that stadium that evening, three large state universities, each with at least 15,000 undergraduates, and little Holy Cross, boasting a total student population of just about 2,800. In addition to being the smallest school there, Holy Cross was the one from which fans had to travel the furthest, almost twice as far as our nearest competitor. The Holy Cross seating section, however, was the loudest, most energetic, and the one with the highest percentage of students. Even though the Crusaders did not win the game, the fans were well behaved, and took the loss with respect. Holy Cross showed its best that day. The preparation for the game also showed me the greatness of the college. When I informed my professors that I would be missing several days' worth of classes, they did not worry about the notes or assignments I would miss. Knowing that most Holy Cross students are academically responsible, they were sure I would make up the work in a timely manner. That reaction did not surprise me, but their enthusiasm for the game did. Nothing sums up their excitement better than the math professor who told one of my friends, “I wish I could go. Give 'em hell.” Even alumni got in on the action; one anonymous alumni donated two buses to take the fans from Worcester to Columbus and back. It was a great weekend for the community, even though the team was unable to pull out a win. After the game in Columbus, several band members flew down to Raleigh, North Carolina, to play for the women's game on Sunday. Holy Cross was the lowest seed in that tournament after a series of miraculous upsets in the Patriot League Tournament, and were therefore playing Duke, the highest seed, a team that had lost only one game all season. The Holy Cross women were expected to lose by a great margin, and although they did lose, the team beat the spread, losing by fewer points than expected. The flight back to Worcester the next day was amazing, because we were on a small jet with the team, all of whom had so much energy from knowing they played a good game against a hard opponent the day before. After each game, the band members had a chance to talk with the teams and coaches as they returned to the hotels. Both men's coach Ralph Willard and women's coach Bill Gibbons talked about what great fans the band members were, and how “classy” (Gibbons's word) we were. I know that I will never forget that weekend, and I hope the team does well enough next year to give me and the new students a chance to experience the same thing I did, but I know I will support them even if they do not.

The greatest thing about Holy Cross is that its students associate with anyone on campus. My good friends have all majors and come from all over the country. I talk to the players on the varsity basketball teams, and I work with many different people in the dining hall. Admittedly, most students are white, upper-middle class, and from the Northeast, but represent all political views and interests.

As a rising senior, I have never been on Caro Street, the local off-campus party area. It is definitely possible, even easy, to avoid the drinking scene if you want to.

Holy Cross does have a sizable drinking culture, but it remains mostly in control. It's definitely possible to avoid it, too, if it's not your scene. Many HC students are "typical college students," concerned about little more than surviving classes until the weekend, but most are great people, who care deeply about society and helping others. Academics are hard.

Academics at Holy Cross are difficult, but definitely within the realm of human possibility. Classes are small, and professors expect participation from their students, and will often call students out by name if they don't participate. Professors are definitely accessible: they have regular office hours, and are more than willing to help any student with any question.

The much-maligned city of Worcester, is actually a great place for a college. There are ten colleges in the area, and plenty of great things to do. There are concerts every week, from classical to rock music, either at those colleges or at the several local theaters. Shrewsbury Street is packed with great restaurants. Shopping areas are a long (though refreshing, on a nice day) walk or a short cab or bus ride away. Worcester has some great book stores, and many small shops that are great for an easy and interesting browse. Granted, it is not a Boston or a New York, but, for a small city, Worcester is a lot of fun.

Holy Cross is seen as a big party school, specifically by people in Worcester. Students are seen as insensitive, and uncaring drunks. Those who aren't affected by our weekends, if they have heard of the school, have deep respect for our academic reputation.

Kim

I love Holy Cross so much. There is tons of school pride, everyone loves the Saders. You never feel lost or alone because you always recognize a friendly face. We are all very driven, but love to have fun, as well. A large amount of our population volunteers, which I think creates a great atmosphere on campus. Holy Cross has an excellent reputation across the country, and there is a certain level of prestige in attending such a school. The professors are very willing to help their students and we don't have many, if any TA's on campus.

There is not a lot of diversity on campus, but I feel like there is a level of tolerance. We started the "Hate, Not Here" program, which really supports people of every ethnicity, religion, or sexuality on campus.

While we work hard, we also know how to play hard. Many students are quite wealthy, and people are very preppy, but there is room for individuality.

It's a really difficult school. The classes are very time consuming, and there is no such thing as an "easy A." While Holy Cross does encourage learning for its own sake, I feel confident entering the job market. I am a double major in English and Psychology. I am obsessed with the English department, but the Psychology department is fabulous as well!

This is such a fun school! It is a big drinking campus, but there are things to do if you do not. CAB puts on wonderful weekend programming that generates a lot of attendance. The people here are wonderful, and you are never bored!

Really studious, preppy, wealthy

Michelle

Holy Cross is amazing! The best thing about it is the sense of community. People hold doors for each other, and they smile as you walk by. It's small things like this that matter. I've known all the girls on my floor every year, and I've gotten to know a lot of the people in my building. It's the perfect size- not too small, not too big. There's always a sporting event to go to, student concerts, the Tuesday night 10 spot, hanging out in friends' rooms, or playing frisbee on a nice day.

The stereotype of Holy Cross is that all the students are white and rich. This isn't true. There are a lot of students from well-off families, but there's plenty of diversity. I don't know that any student would feel out of place on campus because most people I have met are very friendly and nice.

Holy Cross has been an amazing experience. I can't imagine going to college anywhere else. Living abroad has been fabulous, but it made me appreciate how fantastic Holy Cross really is!

The academics are great. A lot of the classes, especially after intro classes, are very small. The professors always know your name, and they're very helpful during office hours. They're all very easy to reach by email. My favorite class was Afro-Latin America. There were only 10 or 11 of us in the class. We learned about the culture of Latin-Afro America not only by reading texts and discussing them, but we also went to botanicas around Worcester to interview the owners of these religious stores. It was an experience I will never forget. The classes are demanding, so there is a lot of time devoted to reading, writing, and studying, but there's still plenty of time for extracurricular activities or just hanging out with your friends. I'm a history major in the teacher education program. The history and education departments have both been great. Most of the professors have been amazing. I've been to a couple of my professors' houses with the class.

SPUD, or student program for urban development, is the largest group on campus. It's a group that has different volunteer groups around Worcester. There's groups for tutoring and mentoring children, helping the homeless, talking to the elderly at nursing homes, etc. It's so easy to do because there are vans running to all the sites. It's a fabulous experience because you're helping people, but since there's so many options, you can pick something that you'll actually enjoy doing too. My freshman year, I did Homeless Family Outreach, where I volunteered at a homeless shelter and played with little kids. Last year, I volunteered at Burncoat High School and tutored there. This year, I am living abroad in Galway in Ireland. It has been a fabulous experience!!! But, I definitely miss Holy Cross because it is such a wonderful place to live. The basketball games are always packed. Most people I know go to a lot of the games. Most people leave their doors open in the dorms. I knew everyone on my floor when I lived in Hanselman and Lehy. Most of my closest friends lived in my dorm freshman year or in my building, but I met more people through my friends. There's movies in the Kimball theater a couple times a week, and there's always sporting events to go to on the weekends.

Matthew

The best thing about Holy Cross is the people. Obviously your getting a great education, and the teachers are all really nice, but without the kids around you, the experience means nothing. Holy Cross is full of all walks of life, but what seems to be a constant is that they are all good kids who want to succeed, but who also want to meet new people and have fun. The kids here are all great kids. One thing I would change would be the size of the school. I like the small classes and all, but sometimes this school gets a little too small. It's just under 3000 people so you run into the same people all the time and rarely see a new face. It would be nice if there were a few more people up here to meet. I'd say I spend most of my time on campus either in Kimball Dining Hall or in Dinand Library. The dining hall is not so bad, its all you can eat, and they usually have some sort of selection that will fit your fancy. I eat a lot, so its nice to know that I always have a place to appease my rumbling stomach. As for the library, I spend time in there not by choice, but rather out of neccessity. I get more work than you could even imagine, and need a nice quiet place to study, and the library serves that purpose rather well.

In terms of religion, Holy Cross is very much a Catholic community. I go to church down at the beautiful St. Joseph's chapel every Sunday night at 10, and its amazing how many students are down there practicing their faith. One thing that Holy Cross might be able to work on is the amount of diversity. It's predominantly white, with a very small percentage of minority students. That's not to say there is a racist attitude in the air, but it is something that is pretty noticeable when you walk into the dinning hall or library.

Both of these stereotypes are pretty accurate. However, while it is true you will come across a lot of preppy kids, that does not define who they are as people. Everyone here is usually a very nice, outgoing individual that likes to work hard. It just so happens they like to look their best while they do so. In terms of the work hard, play hard stereotype, that is pretty true as well. Usually the students are consumed by so much work and stress during the week that when the weekend comes around, they like to blow off some steam.

You get out of the academics what you put in. If you try and cruise through classes without participating or getting help like you probably did in high school, you will get killed. The classes are so hard and have so much work that you need to give 100% in everything, and even then you probably wont get the GPA you wanted. However, the teachers notice your effort and if they know you are trying then they will help you out all they can. My favorite class so far has been the creative writing in non-fiction class I took. I am an english major, and was getting sick of writing analytical papers about books that were written 500 years before I was even born, so this class really broadened my horizons because it allowed me to write about things prevalent to my life.

The sports scene at Holy Cross is good, but not great. We have a real good basketball program, as our teams usually compete to make the NCAA tournament. Our football team is on the rise. They have had a few real good seasons and with their success has come a much stronger fan base. In terms of other sports though, they are rather mediocre and the amount of support for them is sub par. In terms of the social scene, it's a real fun school. School run functions such as concerts and fairs are usually fun and provide a good way to interact with your friends as well as people you may not know as well.

I'd say the biggest stereotype is that we are a very preppy school. A lot of the students come from private, religious high schools and so people expect to see a lot of popped collars and sweaters when they come up to Holy Cross. Another stereotype is that we work hard during the week and play hard during the weekend.

Kristin

There are many reasons why I chose Holy Cross. The size and location were some of the most important qualities that I looked for in a school. We are only one hour outside of Boston and a little over an hour away from Providence. There are a lot of activities in Worcester and in the general area. Most importantly the school has many activities on campus during the weekends, such as well-known comedians, up and coming musicians and our ever famous spring weekend with a spring concert by a very well known performer. Unfortunately, when I first tell people I go to Holy Cross many people from New York either do not know of the school or joke that it is a school for men and women to become priests. Being that the school is small and in Massachusetts not that many people know about the college that well. However, those that know of smaller, higher academic institutions know of the college and always begin speaking of how academically difficult the school is.

Holy Cross is an incredibly small school that since founding in 1843 has been predominently white and Catholic. Today the college is trying to change this demographic and the class of 2011 is the most diverse class in the college's history. Though this is a small feat in comparison to other small liberal arts colleges and it is the college's goal to continue trying to diversify. On the surface most students seem to shop at typical "preppy" stores such as J. Crew and Abercrombie and Fitch. When getting to know a lot of students, many of them do shop at these stores, but many shop other places as well. However, students that dress significantly different for example, punk, do stand out while walking around campus. While it may seem that the campus is predominently conservative, to the "right", there are a decent number of students to the "left", but most do not really seem to sway one way or another. Students are very aware of what they plan on doing after college and many aspire to have jobs that will provide a stable job that will earn them a lot of money.

To a certain extent these stereotypes are accurate. I believe about 60% of the students come from private and Catholic high schools. The other 40% of the students come from public high schools and this number continues to grow every year. While on the surface it seems that the students are all the same, shop at the same stores and have the same political opinions. This is definitely not true, the students belong to various groups and not everyone has the same opinions. I feel that I am an example of not being a part of this stereotype, I belong to Allies which is the gay-straight alliance on campus which most people would not expect to see on a Catholic campus. The school is also trying to appeal to students on a national level and while the majority of students come from the east coast, this demographic is beginning to change.

Academics at Holy Cross are incredibly difficult and it would be a lie for me to say that anyone can just coast by here. I don't know any student that works less than 20 hours a week, whether it is reading for a class, doing problem sets for math, lab work, language dialogues, etc. It's hard to say whether I had a favorite class this year so far. All of my classes have been challenging and have forced myself to think more critically and analytically than I ever have. One of my most interesting classes taken in my two semesters here is Introduction to Islam, the material of the course was interesting and I'm so happy that I was able to learn about a culture that is so misunderstood today in the U.S. The students here are very involved in and out of the classroom and it is not uncommon for the students to go and speak with the professors during their office hours or before or after class. The professors are always willing to help and want us to learn the material to the best of our ability. The school, being liberal arts, is geared towards learning and choosing a major that you enjoy as opposed to choosing your major based on a job after college.

In the beginning of freshman year, there were a decent number of students that left their doors open in hopes of meeting and getting to know the other students on their hall. As the year progressed, students left their doors open less and less being that it wasn't as necessary to talk to people. The social scene on campus can be very superficial at times, especially on the weekends. Going to parties and Caro Street, off campus, are pretty much the social scene on Friday and Saturday nights. Many people get to know their closest friends at first through these long partying nights. Others meet many of their friends through their first encounter at Fall Gateways, fall orientation. The dating scene seems pretty similar to any college campus: either you are single and not really looking, hooking up with others at parties, or in a serious relationship. It is very rare to see students holding hands or kissing on campus and they are generally stared down by other students.

Many people think that all Holy Cross students are conservative Catholics from Catholic and private schools. The campus is very homogeneous and there's not a lot to do in the area because Worcester is not the best college town. All of the students come from New England and the east coast.

Maureen

One thing I love about Holy Cross is it's size. The campus is small enough so that when I'm walking to class I don't feel like a foreigner - I am always seeing people I know. It is also not so small that you feel like you are still in high school, or being suffocated. Holy Cross is like a mini community and everyone is very friendly.

There is not a large portion of minority students here. The majority are Irish Catholic. However, there are many programs, such as the Odyssey program, that help assimilate minorities into the campus life, and all different types of students interact.

There is not a whole lot of diversity on campus, but there are definitely all types of people here. You'd be surprised how many people could only come here due to financial aid - not everyone has a lot of money.

I have loved all of the classes I have taken so far at Holy Cross. The professors are all dedicated and helpful. With such small class sizes, it is easy for them to learn the names of their students and get to know them on a personal level. The Math department is filled with brilliant professors whose main goal is to teach you as much as possible. The most unique class I have taken here is an Education class about Social and Political Change. The discussions were solely run by the students, the professor rarely lectured. This class was geared toward learning for its own sake - broadening our minds toward societal problems.

Athletic events on campus are very popular here. Students love going to support their teams. Guest speakers come to Holy Cross on a regular basis, and some of them are very inspiring speakers. My closest friends either live on my hall, were involved in Club soccer, or I met them at parties. Frats and Sororities are non existent, but that does not mean that we don't party. However, if you don't drink, there is a lot of other stuff to do at night. There are movies playing on campus every weekend, or you can take a cab off campus. Also, every weekend there is a bus that takes students to either Providence or Boston for free.

Many people think that Holy Cross students are all rich and snobby whose parents have paid for everything throughout their lives. Holy Cross is supposedly not diverse in the least, everyone dresses the same and acts the same

Nora

The Holy Cross mission statement is "men and women for others" and I think Holy Cross really educates a student to do just that. We are given countless opportunities to volunteer and many of the students do through the Chaplain's office or with the program called SPUD. A good portion of the school takes part in the Appalachia program of spending a spring break week in impoverished parts of the country to try and give back to that community and spread hope. I'm only a Sophomore and I already have a different outlook on the world, I think the school does a great job of educating all of us about many aspects in the classroom and then challenges us to explore in the real world as well.

We are pretty preppy but often more Vineyard Vines and Lilly. On a more serious note, Holy Cross students love to give back to the community. I just volunteered on a program called Appalachia in which I spent a week in Appalachia with other Holy Cross students rebuilding and helping a small part of a town in Kentucky, over 250 other students took part in programs like this across the country. I think we dress classically and behave in much the same manner, most of the time.

Academics at Holy Cross are very challenging and no student will tell you otherwise. We have one of the top workload in the country, but we also know how to have fun. My favorite part of the Holy Cross education is that Professors typically know your name by the second or third class, classes are usually between 20-30 students and you get to know your Professors and fellow students. Class participation and often attendance is a large portion of our grades which aids good classroom discussion. Professors offer and encourage office hours, and are always helpful. At Holy Cross you will receive a tremendous education and also have the opportunity to get a step up on the job world through the Career Center and our Alumni networking.

At Holy Cross there is always something going on. CAB, a student-run board, is always coming up with new ideas. Clubs seem to constantly be providing shows and entertainment. Sports are a huge aspect of the school, and most student come out for the big basketball games and football games. When there is not something going on there are buses into Worcester to go out to eat or free transportation into Providence and Boston on many weekends. Off-campus parties on legendary Caro Street are the big parties, and often the scene is just hanging out on the actual street. Dorm parties do happen but campus security and RA's make it rather tight. Needless to say there are always opportunities to have a good time with or without the mix of alcohol.

Holy Cross and Holy Cross students are often stereotyped as preppy J-Crew kids with a lot of money who could care less about other people.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.