Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Nora

The Holy Cross mission statement is "men and women for others" and I think Holy Cross really educates a student to do just that. We are given countless opportunities to volunteer and many of the students do through the Chaplain's office or with the program called SPUD. A good portion of the school takes part in the Appalachia program of spending a spring break week in impoverished parts of the country to try and give back to that community and spread hope. I'm only a Sophomore and I already have a different outlook on the world, I think the school does a great job of educating all of us about many aspects in the classroom and then challenges us to explore in the real world as well.

We are pretty preppy but often more Vineyard Vines and Lilly. On a more serious note, Holy Cross students love to give back to the community. I just volunteered on a program called Appalachia in which I spent a week in Appalachia with other Holy Cross students rebuilding and helping a small part of a town in Kentucky, over 250 other students took part in programs like this across the country. I think we dress classically and behave in much the same manner, most of the time.

Academics at Holy Cross are very challenging and no student will tell you otherwise. We have one of the top workload in the country, but we also know how to have fun. My favorite part of the Holy Cross education is that Professors typically know your name by the second or third class, classes are usually between 20-30 students and you get to know your Professors and fellow students. Class participation and often attendance is a large portion of our grades which aids good classroom discussion. Professors offer and encourage office hours, and are always helpful. At Holy Cross you will receive a tremendous education and also have the opportunity to get a step up on the job world through the Career Center and our Alumni networking.

At Holy Cross there is always something going on. CAB, a student-run board, is always coming up with new ideas. Clubs seem to constantly be providing shows and entertainment. Sports are a huge aspect of the school, and most student come out for the big basketball games and football games. When there is not something going on there are buses into Worcester to go out to eat or free transportation into Providence and Boston on many weekends. Off-campus parties on legendary Caro Street are the big parties, and often the scene is just hanging out on the actual street. Dorm parties do happen but campus security and RA's make it rather tight. Needless to say there are always opportunities to have a good time with or without the mix of alcohol.

Holy Cross and Holy Cross students are often stereotyped as preppy J-Crew kids with a lot of money who could care less about other people.

Jamie

Holy Cross has one of the best campus' I've seen. There is a strong sense of student body and HC does their job to get people involved. Since it is a small school you really get to know your teachers and peers. I like the size of the school because it's really nice to walk around and always see familiar faces (which you don't get when you go to a huge university). There is not a lot of diversity and I think Holy Cross actually initiates segregation rather than diminish it (they have an orientation just for minorities and then a separate orientation for "everyone else" - they should just have one orientation for everyone since most students join together in these first few weeks of school). I find that most people find a real sense of belonging here since it is a small school.

There is a small student body so you get to really know your peers.

NOT AT ALL! In fact, there are many different religious beliefs all across campus.

It's a liberal arts school so you are required to take a range of different courses. The classes are small so you get to know your teachers real well. They are always available for extra help if need be. There is a sense of competitiveness amongst grades - everyone wants an A and they work hard to get it. The work load is a lot, more than most schools. And so a lot of time is spent in libraries (or studios in my case).

A lot assume that Holy Cross is a "bible preaching" school. The name affiliated with the school gives off the impression that everyone here are religious "fanatics" and walk around preaching about God all the time.

Erin

The best thing about Holy Cross is the feeling of community. No matter who are you, you feel like you belong. The students and faculty make you feel at home. The only thing that is not the best is the city, however after being here for 4 years, there are so many great places that we have discovered. Worcester has some of the best restaurants. When people here that I go to HC, they are very impressed. Its a great school, and people acknowledge that. One of the best parts of HC are the alumni connections. People who went here are proud of the school, and will do anything to help fellow crusaders. Even when you leave the school, you are always apart of the community. I spend a lot of time at the student center on campus. It is always busy, and you always run into your friends. Also, the library is a great place to do work. It's beautiful, quiet, and comfortable. The administration here at the school really cares about the well being of the students. If you ever need anything, someone is here to help you. There is a lot of school pride here, especially when it comes to sports. People go crazy at the games, decked out in purple. We are very proud of our basketball team! I like going to a smaller school with good sports teams. You know all the players personally, so cheering them on during the games is so much fun. My absolute favorite part of my college career was my experience abroad. The study abroad program at HC is one of the best. I went to Galway, Ireland, and HC set up my housing, tuition, and an advisor. Our adviser helped us so much. The program was a year long, and although I missed Holy Cross, and my friends, being there a year made me really experience the culture, and made me feel like I really lived there. Other schools only have semester long programs, which cuts off you experience. Everyone I was with abroad that had to go home after one semester from other schools really hated it. I made amazing friends at Holy Cross, and consider them my family.

I think anyone would feel comfortable coming to Holy Cross. Everyone finds a place here on campus. People wear all different kinda of clothes, from skirts to sweat pants. At the dining hall, everyone sits together. Wherever you want to fit in, you will. A lot of students come from the Northeast, however people come from all over.

Holy Cross is the BEST PLACE EVER

NOT at all. Of course, some people are wealthy, but most of the time you would never know. People here are not snobby at all.

Academics at Holy Cross is taken very seriously. The classes are very small, which makes it easy to get to know your professor, and work closely with them. My favorite classes have been in the psychology department. The professors are brilliant, and amazing lecturers. Every professor I have had has known me by name, and has taken interest to my life outside the classroom. Class participation is graded in every class, and missed classes are looked down upon. Students around campus often talk about there classes, and debate issues that were brought up in class. People take pride in their classes, and enjoy learning. Students can be competitive, however they are mostly helpful and encouraging. I have often spent time with professors outside class, either at the student center, or a sport event. There are a lot of requirements here, however the liberal arts requirements create well rounded students. Education here is centered around learning and expanding your mind, however they do help with finding a career.

Clubs sports are very popular here. If you do not belong to a varsity sport, club sports are worth it. They give you an instant feeling of belonging, and they are so much fun. People here are very involved, and may be involved in tons of groups. This is one reason why everyone is friends with everyone. Groups mix, and so do friends. Students in the dorms leave there doors open, and generally welcome anyone who comes in. The school offers great speakers all the time. Everyday there is something on campus going on. Finding friends on campus is so easy. They have all programs to meet your neighbors. If you don't find a friend, join a group. I met my friends from my freshman year floor, and I'm still living with them. Also, everyone on the rugby team is my close friend. People party here a lot, but only if you want to. People do drink, however if you chose not to drink, people wont judge you, and welcome you to their party anyway. Fraternities and sororities are not on campus, however sport teams kind of take that place. The school also offers alternatives for the people who do not want to party on or off campus. They have a dance party every saturday, and a free movie theatre.

Everyone that goes here is rich and snobby

Parker

Holy Cross is really the perfect size. Even in my biggest science classes, my professors know my name. You see familiar faces on campus, but there are always new people around campus. There isn't too much in Worcester, but there are some AWESOME restaurants nearby. Plus, Boston is really accessible. It's a lot of work, but the weekends make up for it. Everyone is truly nice and always willing to help. Just watch how long someone will hold the door for you- its amazing. The administration is great and always looking for more student input. They always make sure to celebrate holidays or cmpus events at every opportunity.

Holy Cross is not very diverse, but none the less there is a mixture of many different types of people. Most students are very conservative but its not too overwhelming. The dining hall is great. The sports teams sit together, but witht everyone else, its a free for all. Most kids are middle class and from the Northeast, ususally Massachusetts.

Yes, a lot of people are preppy, but it's not too overwhelming. Religion is definitely an important aspect of life for many students, but I am not at all religious and it has not been an issue at all for me.

There is a lot of work, so I will not lie about that. But then again, premed anywhere is going to be hard. I will be Spanish Premed, so I have three areas of requirements to fulfill: common area, spanish, and pre med. This is why I dont really have a chance to scope out random classes, but there are a bunch that sound really interesting. You graduate with a very well rounded education, applicable toward a variety of careers.

Social life is so fun! There are always things going on on campus, organized by CAB. They have the ten spot every week, its like a coffee house. We have aa few concerts each year, but Spring Weekend is the best. St. Patrick's Day is also a tone of fun. There are no sororities or frats but the upperclassmen mostly live on Caro St. so thats where the parties are.

Everyone thinks of all Holy Cross syudents as being extremely religious.. and preppy.

Lily

The best thing about Holy Cross is the feeling of community that constantly surrounds you. Holy Cross is the perfect size, not small enough that you get bored, but not to big that you become overwhelmed. It is easy to learn everyone's name, but not so easy to know everyone's business. People know Holy Cross to be an academically rigorous school- and this is true. Holy Cross has one of the hardest work loads in the country and you should take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to come here. That being said, if you do decide to come here, you will get one of the best possible educations. Everyone who comes to Holy Cross is has school pride, in fact, one of the most common lines you will hear during freshmen orientation is that, by the time you graduate you will be "bleeding purple!"

Holy Cross is pretty diverse. I have seen no example of any intolerance on campus. Everyone is made to feel at home here. Holy Cross does have a high prevalence of upper middle class students, but the financial aid package here can be very helpful, so we do have some lower class students. Students are genuinely kind to one another on campus. Everyone holds doors for one another and says hello as you walk by.

This is false- You can be as involved in the faith life on campus as you choose.

At Holy Cross, all of your professors will know your name. The class size usually doesn't get bigger than thirty or forty students, and in seminars they are even smaller. Students here study a lot, because all of the courses of academically demanding. Some of the professors grade harder than others, which can be difficult to manage, but they are usually very understanding if you need help outside of the class. I think Holy Cross is geared towards learning. No matter what you plan on doing after college, everyone is required to take a few core classes, which is a great foundation for anything you could possibly want to do. The liberal arts education prepares you for any vocation, which can be really helpful in the event that one of you has a midlife crisis and decides halfway through life to change careers.

Sports are very popular at Holy Cross. Unfortunately, on the weekends much of the fun revolves around drinking, so for those of you who don't drink, try to be prepared for that. There are other fun things to do. There are comedians, shows, and movies. If you want to be involved in the drinking scene, you can. If you don't, that's fine too. There isn't a lot of pressure on campus to drink if you don't want to.

Justin

if I could change one thing it mgiht be to have better housing. there is a lack of a college town

not diverse- not very preppy, but definitely not goth punk. I consider it pretty nuetral small student body, so i feel i know a lot of my class and it is nice to be able to know a lot of people

I love the school very happy i chose to go here

very tough professors expect a lot no easy classes lots of participiation and spirit needed

they provide a lot for their students in terms of extra-curriculars social life is good as long as you like to drink not many drugs on campus expect marijuana drugs are generally looked down upon because no one really does them so it's not the norm social life gets better as you get older dorm life is fun SPUD is a great program

not diverse balcks and whites very segregated I dont consider myself racist in any way and I am very open-minded, but I still have almost no black or asian friends very intense work-load is true bueatiful campus

David

I enjoy that the campus is pretty. Worcester is okay

I enjoy that the campus is pretty. Worcester is okay

There are not a lot of minorities on campus. A lot of the students are on the northeast.

there is a lot of money at holy cross but they are not all spoiled. There are many other types of catholics

I find the classes challenging

People party on the weekends and on thursday. No fraternities

The are rich and spoiled. They are all irish catholics

I really love the classes that are offered at Holy Cross and the majority of professors that I have encountered have been very interesting and informative. I think that in general Holy Cross is a little too small. I went to a very small high school and I thought that Holy Cross would be different because it was significantly larger than my high school but it still seems very small. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room, and I frequently go off of campus into the city of Boston.

Students at Holy Cross generally tend to be very well-dressed and put together. On many of my friends' campuses students regularly go to class in sweats, while here at Holy Cross, I feel like I am one of the few to do so. A lot of the students also come from very financially secure backgrounds and are on the "road to success" so to speak. Most students are politically active and there are many different types of organizations on campus that offer support for all types of thought. The campus is still, however, definitely lacking in diversity.

Although Holy Cross is definitely lacking in diversity, and there are some snobby people, there are also many people who are not snobby or wealthy.

I have really enjoyed the majority of the classes offered at Holy Cross, and all of the professors take the time to get to know you and are very helpful both in and out of class. Students spend a lot of time studying and it is not uncommon to hear them talking about topics that are discussed in their classes.

The activity that I have been most involved in on campus is the SPUD program, which is a Holy Cross volunteer organization. Most of my friends at Holy Cross are comprised from people that I met freshman year. We don't have any fraternities or sororities at Holy Cross, and we do have a lot of support for our athletic events.

Sometimes people stereotype Holy Cross students as being snobby and the College of the Holy Cross as being a wealthy campus lacking in diversity.

I love it here, but that's cause its an environment conducive to working really hard and playing even harder. if you can't keep up, you'll be lost academically and socially.

there are mostly white, upper middle class kids here, but that being said there are a good amount of minorities. the student that would feel out of place is the student that doesnt want to be among people who care about school.

this is the best school in the nation. we work harder and play harder than anyone else!

everyone works super hard, and the classes are very challenging. i dont think people realize how hard we work here. a 3.6 at holy cross is worth a 4.0 at harvard. the students are kind of competitive...no one really tolerates slacking off. all of my professors have been amazing, they really make the effort to know who you are, even on a personal level. the education is very much for learning, but also to prepare you for the world beyond college.

spud is a huge thing on campus...everyone volunteers. everyone is a really good person, very friendly and open to meeting new people. people party a lot, but work always comes first...so if i have a test first thing monday morning, i might not go out on saturday but rather study instead. there is not much of a dating scene...more casual hook ups. people who want to be in a relationship can usually find one.

They are all rich, white, preppy, smart and party really hard

Jeffrey

The school's size is perfect--just under 3,000 students means that you know many people, enough that you recognize most people walking around campus though you probably don't know their names. There's a huge comfort factor in that. Also, the fact that the school is exclusively undergraduate means class sizes are pretty small and access to professors is incredible, especially in the natural sciences. One problem with Holy Cross is that its name recognition doesn't often go far beyond Massachusetts. Although it is certainly highly reputable around the state and some parts of New England, many people outside the region don't know what an academically rigorous school it is. The college's alumni, however, know exactly what a Holy Cross degree means and take care of recent graduates. Holy Cross is an ostensibly Catholic institution. The administration is far too concerned with being politically correct and often restricts Catholic voice and opinion on campus in favor of minorities in order to appear more "inclusive." For example, the Knights of Columbus chapter is prevented from being a recognized student organization because membership is limited to men; however, a sister group exists for women, which also is prevented from being recognized because it doesn't admit men. Despite all this, the school is a Jesuit institution, and the Jesuit order is obviously all-male and all-Catholic.

The average Holy Cross student is upper-middle class, here on the grace of their parents paying the high tuition for them. There isn't much diversity on campus, with most minorities being recruited athletes.

The tuition is outrageous. Enrollment for classes is terrible, as is the housing selection process. The campus is gorgeous.

Many students are often more concerned with their GPA than real-world applicability of their work in the classroom to be men and women for others. It's true that Holy Cross students pledge an allegiance to Boston sports, epecially the Red Sox. Students are indeed obsessed with alcohol; it seems to be the primary social medium and there is little acceptance for those that don't fit into this mold. Holy Cross is truly a work-hard then party-hard environment.

Students have a unique opportunity to get to know professors, especially those within their major field of study, extremely well. Students who take advantage of office hours will often get lots of assistance on assignments, will forge solid relationships with faculty members for future recommendations, and can learn a great deal. The academics are RIGOROUS. Students only take 4 courses a semester because they are all so demanding. Most students can be found spending many hours in the library at least a few days a week and the amounts of homework and reading at times get excessive. A high GPA at Holy Cross is a signal achievement.

Student Programs for Urban Development (SPUD), an umbrella community service progrm, is by far the most popular thing to be involved in at Holy Cross. Sporting events aren't particularly well-attended, but the Holy Cross-Bucknell basketball game is always huge, as are home playoff games. People tend to party 3-4 times per week, and drink excessively on the weekends.

The students are obsessed with the college's mission statement to be "men and women for others." It's practically a mantra. Most Holy Cross students are Red Sox fans. Students are obsessed with drinking.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.