Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Nikiander

I would say majority is independent but some are very supportive

My experience at Boston Latin Academy has been the most rewarding in my life. During that period I spent too much time trying to hang out with friends and too little time hanging out with my books. As you can imagine this decision had the predictable consequence of lower grades, grades that kept me away from my aspirations. Yet, the experience was not totally self-defeating. Though I struggled with my school work, I learned the power of being an individual, and not letting the forces around me direct my life, as I did sophomore year. After my failure in high school, I decided that it was about time to stop living a life of mediocrity and to start living a life of fulfillment. Refusing to let the prior experience be a prologue to my future, I began visiting the libraries of Boston, reading anything I could that would help me in my quest of enlightenment. With each book I read, I was presented with a different window through which to see the world from. Of all the windows, the one with the clearest image was the one through which I live my life today—spectacular preparation precedes spectacular success.

Katie

Again, Holy Cross is revered for their academic excellence but the moment you step on campus it is clear the focus is on the Jesuit mission: “men and women for others”. Emphasis is put into academics because knowledge is the key to bettering the world not because it is what will give us personal success. A vast majority of students participate in community service to give back to the community that has given us so much. Creating a graduate who is prepared academically, civically and socially who will help the world around them is the ultimate goal at Holy Cross.

If I had the chance to go back and talk with my high school self I would tell myself to give up my pride. It was my pride and my desire to fulfill a certain image of having everything together that held me back from my potential. It was my pride that kept me from asking for help when I could have used it and my pride that kept me from taking chances or joining clubs alone. I restricted myself because I feared what my peers would think. So much of high school is spent worried over an appearance which ultimately prevents making the most of high school. If I had relaxed and not worried about what others would think I believe I would be more confident and more experienced in how to deal with life; not to mention I probably would have enjoyed the overall experience more. Looking back I regret having fears because I missed out on opportunities to improve myself and grow as a person. In the end I realized that I was only hurting myself. In fact had I shown weakness or stepped outside of my comfort zone I actually would have built a better image.

It is no question that Holy Cross offers an amazing education with great teachers and a strong support system. That is why I chose the college. However, beyond that my favorite thing about Holy Cross is the people. I have only been on campus for four months now but I already feel as if I am a part of a family. Everyone is kind, friendly and supportive. I am surrounded by people who are motivated to succeed in life not for themselves but for the betterment of their communities. Living in this community has helped me become a better person.

Diana

Take advantage of all of the AP Classes, they will really help you transition into college. Start to work independently and set goals for yourself. Take advantage of classes given at other colleges, having them as part of your college transcript will make it easier for you to try other classes and will allow you to have more college credits.Don't try to take hard classes on your first semester; you don't need to start with your major right away. Try the random classes first or go by the ones that interest you, not what you think you need. Give it your all don’t rely on thinking that you know the material. If the professor assigns it, do it. If you bought your books even if rented you better read them, they are there for a reason. You will get to where you want to be as long as you work hard so don't try to rush things, enjoy them.

Tara

Before I attended Holy Cross, I wish I had invested more time into researching all of the extracurricular activities available. After finishing my freshman year, there are so many clubs that I wish I had initially joined. For instance, the Spanish Foreign Language Assistants (FLAs) organize many casual events throughout the year that are designed to help students use the language skills they acquire in class in a more relaxed environment.

Holy Cross is the ideal college for a motivated, intellectual student who wants to broaden his or her worldview. As a consequence of being a small school, classes are very intimate. Professors make the effort to form relationships with the students which allows for richer discussions. Additionally, Holy Cross is a very competitive school and everyone who attends is passionate about learning and achieving their greater life goals. In attending Holy Cross, not only will one learn in the classroom, but thoughtful discussions can be heard in myriad places from the dining halls to common areas in the dorms.

Josephine

Hill-top college with beautiful architecture and great professors, that are interested in your acedemic success and not just their research; moreover all the stairs you take every day keep you in perfect shape.

The community embodies the Jesuit ideology of being men and women for others.

Allegra

Pick a school where YOU feel at home, not the school that someone tells you to go to. Make sure you time manage well and go to see your professors in office hours! Don't be afraid to take risks and say your opinions- people will respect you more and you will make more friends. Be yourself, not who you think others think you are. School work is important and do well, but don't sacrifice a social life either- you will not always remember that exam in Biostats you had, but you will remember Senior Ball. Set goals for yourself and work your hardest to achieve them, but remember life does not always follow a straight path.

That there is a lot of wind in the winter---it has it's own microenvironment.

Jhonatan

It's known for its rigor and difficulty. However, in the eyes of others, it's known to be really prestigous.

"Okay, Jhonnyboy, just relax" is what I'd say to my past self. All the worrying, constant trips to teacher's offices for recommendations, and the everlasting fear of rejection. I remember having all those emotions and the feeling of everything closing in on me. The funny part was that I was all worried for nothing. I'd continue saying to my past self that even if you don't get accepted to your 1st choice school, it doesn't matter because getting into college is a huge accomplishment, so be proud of that. Just pay attention to the deadlines and you'll be just fine. Once you get accepted you'll realize, "oh that wasn't hard," but then you'll come to tackle you're next fear, leaving home. It's hard to say good-bye to your home, after all you lived there for 18 years. That's why you should always bring something from home. Also the first couple days of school might seem overwheling, you've always been told to get involved, but first take a few weeks to see how your classes work. You should get a feel of balancing work and free time.

It's definetly trying to balance your work load with your social life. This is true for all colleges. I use to be a straight-A student back in high school, but this school is a whole new level. Getting lower grades might seem discouraging, however it is a major wake-up call and forces you to work harder.

Matthew

Dear Matt, This ability to write to you in the past is a strange and wonderful opportunity. I hope this letter finds you well, albeit stressed. I write now advice I wish I had in my high school years. First, you must never lose your work ethic. I think you may begin to realize this but you don't know how important it is. That alone sets you apart from a number of students and will propel you far in life. Second, know who you are and who you want to be and don't stray from that. Always allow room for the criticism of others but you must always make your own decisions. Do what is best for you. Finally, never lose sight of what you really want. Always strive towards those goals. People will try to tell you what you want all through your high school years. Stay your course because only you know what will (in the long run) make you a truly content and successful person. Have faith in God, in your family, and in your closest friends and they will shape who you want to become. Do good kid, Matt Portu

The best thing about Holy Cross far and away are the people on campus. This includes the students, faculty, staff, public safety, alumni, etc. There is a community here that is difficult to find anywhere else. Everybody is looking out for everyone else and their best interests. It is an environment where everyone is encouraged to be helpful and involved and to share their talents to help build a vibrant and active community. This creates an excellent academic environment for students to work in and also a wide range of social activities for all students on campus.

When I arrived at Holy Cross I was struck by how different the environment was from high school. I knew there would be stark differences but I was surprised at how much my life and the structure of my life changed. The way work was assigned and the way it was completed, the hours of work, the hours of sleep, the people, the level of involvement, the level of community all changed so dramatically. This allowed me to really do what I wanted and grow in a way I hadn't been able to in high school.

My school is best known for their academic rigor, the excellent support from alumni relations, award-winning campus landscape and the prestige of the faculty members.

I once heard the quote, “I always wanted to be somebody until I realized I had to be more specific.” Stephanie, you don’t have to walk into college being specific of what you would like to study or want to be. Challenge yourself in taking time to explore the curriculum and taking courses that seem interesting or that catch your attention. Who knows? You may discover a newfound passion. Take advantage of all the opportunities the college has to offer whether they extend to immersion trips, research projects or volunteering. Remember to be yourself! Educating yourself is more than just pursuing excellence in what you are learning. It is about educating the whole person. That means engaging in dialogues that require you to challenge and encounter new ideas, discovering where your talent meets the world’s needs and finding our common humanity. Lastly, the thief of joy in college is eagerly wanting to fit in that sometimes it requires losing ourselves. Don’t try to fit in. Try to standout by being your best self! As the first person in your family to go to college, I couldn’t be more proud of you. Congratulations!

I brag to my friends that my school is one of the top academic, small liberal art colleges in Forbes magazine. It is one of the most friendliest campus with an award-winning Orientation program. In addition to having successful alumni like Jon Favreu, the Chief speechwriter of Obama and Supreme Court Justice, Clarence Thomas.

If I could go back in time and talk to the high school me, I would tell him to not give up. Sure, dropping out after Junior year and getting my GED was an easy thing to do back then, but now I look around, and I see all the people that have passed me by education wise. People my age and younger have been done with college for years, and they have a career that they hopefully love that can provide for them. Meanwhile I’ve had to fight and claw my way from job to job only to find myself coming full circle, and here I am 12 years later finally getting the opportunity to go to college, when I could have been done had I started earlier. I would warn myself that what starts off easy, quickly becomes harder without an education, and with a couple years of hard work and determination to get things done, life would be a whole lot easier in the long run. Don’t give up, stick with it, and everything will work out just fine.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.