Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Rumya

Dear High School Senior, You think you are very young-and you are- but you can take some time to think critically about your future while still having fun and relaxing. These decisions include your college major, and the type of friends you would like to have for the next four years. The courses you take and who you surround yourself with are the two biggest factors that will shape your undergraduate life. Moreover, it's never to early to think about what kind of career you want after you graduate. These ideas will put your entire college years into perspective, and will make the transition from high school much smoother. Knowing your values, what you stand for, and what you will not stand for, are essential before entering college. It will decrease anxiety and create a sense of optimism and confidence in yourself. Having said that, feel free to explore acitivities beyond your comfort zone, and befriend at least one person with a different set of opinions than your own. It will broaden your mind and open up a whole new outlook on life. Don't hesitate reaching out for help when you need it- good luck!

I had not realized how conservative some of the views are. I also wish I had known how limited the social activities are- after freshman and sophmore years the party scene because tiring but there is not much else to do on campus.

The extremes of partying and trying to excel academically. There is very little middle ground for other activities

JOHANNA

First, I will have to be smart about it high school kids are not easy to approach. The most important thing is I would have to place myself in a student's place I will start with, what do you want to be when you get out of high school. I know back in High School I didn't have a clue on what I wanted to do. My dream was art being an actess was on my head all the time. I will offer a tour to college and give her an explanation on what steps and the process they have to go through in order to be in college. Second, I will sit with her, and give her a survey that match her personality with the type of career she wants to pursue. I will explain that college is not like high school that is a very serious process and that it involves a lot of responsibility to take her time before she makes that change in her life. I can share a lot of my experience about choosing a major, and later on changing it because I wasn't prepare enough.

Lenore

Drinking and for getting a good job afterwards

Drinking and for getting a good job afterwards

There is so much to do in college and it is important to love the mystery, the opportunity of being able to do anything that you want to do. College will be a place of academic, personal, and spiritual nourishment. You will continuously grow into someone with wisdom and courage. And you will see other students at grow in these ways, too. You will realize that although you may struggle differently from other people, you are connected to your peers with your struggles. What’s important is the readiness, the openness to try new things, make a difference, whether that difference is to create a campus group, stick-up for what is right, pray every day, plant a flower or two, effect social change, write a novel, find a cure, or score the winning points for a team. Try your best and have fun!

The professors and the classes

karina

When I was in high school I got assigned two college courses my junior year, which was English 1301 and Histyory 1301. As a teenager I did not want to take college courses because of the fact that i would have to study while all my other friends would go out and not have to worry about their classes. The only reason why I never dropped my classes was because my mom kept urging me to take these classes so instead I failed both. This was the biggest mistake i have done and I now regret it. If i knew what I know now i would convince myself to try my junior year and take more college classes my senior year, but of course i can not go back. I have learned from my mistakes so I now advise my younger sister to not follow in the same footsteps I did and to take college courses so she can further her education and so she can get scholarships and she will not have to struggle in the future.

Jodaelle

The campus has many stairs and steep hills.

The campus has many stairs and steep hills.

I would advise myself to do more research of not only the school, but also where it's located. I would also advise myself not to attend a school solely based on the positive/negative experience I had during a visit because the visit only shows how the college is during that ONE time. It is not a full view of the reality of the college.

Before coming to the school I wish I knew more about the town it is located in, Worcester. The town desn't have much to offer when it comes to social life for college students under the age of 21.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. You can handle the work and succeed very well if you relax and take it a step at a time. I would also tell myself not to worry so much about the social aspect of school; people are generally very friendly and if you act true to yourself, people will befriend you and accept you. I wasted so much energy on stressing out about work and making friends that I could have been using to explore new opportunities and hobbies. I would also reassure myself that leaving for college does not mean leaving your previous life and friends behind; your friends from high school will be there to give you a big hug when you get home. Now you have the opportunity to make life-long friends who come from different backgrounds and life experiences and who can teach you a lot. Let go of all preconceptions and enjoy the experiencec before it's gone.

How much of a financial burden it was going to be on my family.

The cost is ridiculous and they gave us a financial aid package at the beginning and then decreased it after I had sent in the deposit.

Holy Cross has enabled me to take classes that have made me a more well-rounded student and is preparing me for my future career as a research biologist in the field of marine science. I am currently conducting research with a professor at school and we are in the process of writing a manuscript to be published regarding manatee migrations. One of the most important things I have gotten out of college so far is the ability to network with other scientists and aspiring scientists as well as learning about myself and what I want to do in my future. Attending this academic-focused college will help me become a competitive applicant for graduate school to further my passion in the biological field. By attending Holy Cross, I know that I love biology and conducting research and I have some of the necessary background needed to conduct my own research in my own lab after receiving my PhD. The professors who I am networking with and seeking out advice have opened doors for me regarding internships and career path advice, which is invaluable.

Elesi

When I was a little girl I have a dream of becoming a scientist. I use to be curious about the earth and the solar system. I use go outside and look at the moon and the stars in the sky. I use to ask myself is there life on the other planets? I studied astronomy when I was in the third grade . After I done my research about the solar system I discovered that planet saturn have six rings instead of one ring around the planet. Recently the scientist discovered that there are planets on the other side of the milky way. Science is an interesting subject. Every year science and technology are always evolving. When I studied physics at Central New Mexico Community College last year, I read in my physics book that the astronomers discovered that pluto is not a planet. The scientist discovered that pluto is an astroid that is made out of gas. NASA sent a satallite to study the atmosphere on pluto last year. Albert Einstein life story has inspired me to go to college and study earth science. Albert Einstein has ADHD. He became a scientist despite the odds that was against him.

Nathan

Although I believed when entering college that I knew exactly what to expect, I quickly realized that I was utterly clueless. Not only were my courses based on more specific and challenging material, but I was now entirely on my own. With no parents or over-bearing high school teachers constantly looming over my shoulder, I knew that it was up to me to make the best of my college experience. So far, this has been the most valuable lesson I have learned. My success is no longer contingent on the adults in my life constantly begging me to keep working. Instead, my academic achievement is born of my own motivation. Where some of my peers saw their grades slowly begin to slip as they took advantage of their newfound freedom, I recognized immediately that the decisions I made would directly impact the rest of my life. The independence I found in college, then, allowed me to grow as a person, to find my own voice, and to begin to shape myself into the successful and driven person I know that I will one day become.

In my experience so far at Holy Cross, I have found that there is a perfect balance between community and compassion, and academic competition and excellence.

A motived and academically gifted individual who is interested in working one on one with professors in a relaxed but challenging environment.

Mary

I do not know what compelled me to accept my admittance into the College of the Holy Cross in April of 2007, but I am very glad that I did. I have never been happier than I am when I am at the College. I have learned a great deal in my classes and labs, and I have had the opportunity to truly form lasting relationships with people whom I have met at Holy Cross. There is a great feeling of community at this university, and I would encourage anyone interested in pursuing a college education to look into Holy Cross. Although I cannot say what it was that drove me to attend Holy Cross, I could not see myself having a better college experience anywhere else.

The price. It is a very expensive school and I think that more people should have the opportunity to take advantage of what a great school it is without breaking the bank.

To an extent. I am very proud of the school that I go to. I am very happy at the College of the Holy Cross and I do not hide it.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.