Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Lyndsey

College has been quite a rollercoaster over the past years. I was always a great student in high school but I was not ready for college at first. I ended up dropping out for a few quarters until I was able to get my head on straight and develop some sort of plan for where I wanted my life to go. After the little break, I went back to take an EMT course which I completed but then decided it was not the path for me either. Just this fall I finally graduated with an AA at a community college after 5 long years of stress, tears, and frustration, but it was all worth it. I learned how important it is to always try your hardest even when you think there is no way to succeed because it feels amazing to complete a goal and move ahead in life to reach another one. College has given me the life skills to get out on my own, be independent, and think outside the box. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and I fully intend to give my remaining college years everything I have.

Julia

My school is challanging but very rewarding.

My school is challanging but very rewarding.

My school is best known for providing a excellent education and for assisting minority students in attending.

I have gotten the opportunity to pursue a higher education at a prestigious college that has also afforded me the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with my peers that I know will last a life time. I have worked hard and committed myself to community service while also managing a full course load. I recently learned that I made the deans list for the fall semester. I am proud of my academic acheivements and will continue to strive to continue my sucessful journey while at Holy Cross.

Kate

Having been at Holy Cross for a year and a half now, I feel like "time management" would be the go to answer for any college student. But really, I think the most important thing I learned and would advise me and anybody else on is to really just be yourself. Don't try to fit in because it's the cool thing to do- join a group because it intrests you, even if you don't know anybody else joining it! And don't be afraid to try new things. This is an experience you'll only have once, and you will really want to make the very best of it. It will be hard at first, but as long as you stay true to yourself, you will find happiness someway, somehow.

There is a lot of stress to excel here in the academics. Everybody wants to be the best and are more concerned with getting A's than really having a experience that will help to mold them into who they want to be and where they want to go.

Allegra

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to remember to time manage. It is easy to get lost in the transition and realize too late you do not have time to finish a book or go to that movie. Also, remember to call home a couple times a week- just because you have freedom does not mean your family does not miss you! Take an hour to yourself every night to relax and watch a television show or read a book. Do not stress over other people- college students are much more mature than high schoolers, meaning there is not all the high school drama. Make sure academics comes first, but have time for friends and acitivites too! Get involved not only in the school, but the community around it- you are a resident there now. Do not be afraid to ask for help and meet new people. Some of your closest friends could be the upperclassman you asked where the library was. Go to your professors' office hours- they are there to help you learn, not to flunk you. Lastly, do not forget to have fun!

The type of person who should attend this school is a person who wishes to be academically challenged and also wants to feel as part of a community. The person should be mature and caring about others. A student at Holy Cross needs to be able to feel comfortable having their ideas challenged and be able to defend their opinions. Also, teachers and students do foster relationships because of the small class sizes, so a person who attends Holy Cross must enjoy personal bonds with their professors.

If I had to chose the most frustrating thing about my school it would be the amount of stairs there are on campus. Holy Cross is located on Mount Saint James (a huge hill) so there is tons of stairs and walking between classes, but I cannot complain too much it helps with exercise. There is really nothing that frustrates me about the school. I absolutely love it and am glad I decided to come here.

Holy Cross is best known for providing its students with a strong liberal arts background that gives graduates the tools to succeed in many different fields as well as in graduate school. Holy Cross is also known for its large network of alumni. These connections can prove themselves to be very important when it comes to looking for jobs after graduation.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice after having experienced college life, I would tell myself not to get too wrapped up in the social aspects of college and to utilize the office hours professors provide. Since starting college in the fall, I have noticed that the students who go out and party all of the time tend to not do as well in school, so I think that it is important to find a balance between your social life and your academic life. Of course, it is important to be a part of the social life on campus, because everyone needs a break from the stresses of school work, but taking part in social life should not be what you spend the most time doing. I have also found that the professors are really want to help you and the only way for them to do that is in office hours. When I took biology this past semester I had a difficult time grasping the material, but after going to see the professor regularly, I was able to better understand the material because he explained things to me in greater detail and more thoroughly.

The kind of person that should not attend The College of the Holy Cross is someone who is not willing to be challenged academically. I have found that the academics at Holy Cross are demanding and if a student is not willing to put time and energy into their studies, this may not be the right school for them. Also, if a student is looking for a school where you do not run into the same people everyday, Holy Cross is not the right school for them since it has roughly 3,000 students.

Michaela

As a high school senior, I got through school using my natural smarts, instead of working my wa ythrough things. I never had to try very hard for good grades. I studied, and went to extra help sessions, but I never really stressed out about tests because I always knew I would do well, or at least pass them. When we learned a new concept in class, I usually understood it pretty quickly. In my heart, I knew this could not go on forever, but it was working for the time being, so I decided not to change anything. When I got to college and enrolled in the intro chemistry class, I realized what a mistake I had made. Senioritis was fun in high school, but I had forgotten that the most important part of my schooling, college, was yet to come. And my GPA suffered for it. Because my first semester I had to teach myself how to study all over again, and had to find a work ethic that was never really there before. If I could give myself any advice, It would have been to think of the future, and change my behavior now, and not wait.

The best thing about Holy Cross is that the school as a whole encourages you to find yourself. The first question they asked on orientation day was "who do you want to be for yourself and others?" This follows with the Jesuit tradition of helping others. There are many opportunities at Holy Cross to find your passions by joining clubs, or by talking to professors or counselors who are very willing and able to help. more than 80% of the student body is involved in student organizations and community service, which makes for a very strong and connected student body.

At Holy Cross, there is a standard of academics that is expected. Students who attend the college are there for a reason. many students struggle, but if they make an effort to do better, they will survive in the high stress environment. Students who are not willing to go to extra help, or make the first move in establishing relationships with faculty do not get very far. The school is very small, so it is to your advantage to make connections. Students who are not ready to do this should not attend.

Caitrin

Grades are important, but getting the most out of your school is more important! Holy Cross is an incredibly demanding college, with a monstrous workload and professors who truly challenge you. As a former straight-A student, it was difficult to adjust to the idea that I was working harder but getting lower grades - it took me some time to accept that a 75 was a good grade on an organic chemistry exam. It took a semester or two, but once I allowed myself to believe I was still excelling academically with a 3.4 GPA, I was much happier. I allowed myself to pursue my passion - music - by participating in six ensembles over my 4 years at Holy Cross. While this took significant time away from my studies, it also allowed me the well-rounded experience I was looking for, including once-in-a-lifetime opportunities like singing at Lincoln Center in New York City and the Vatican in Rome. At the end of the day, I still got into my first choice graduate program - the highly competitive Accelerated Master's Entry track in the Boston College School of nursing, where I got my nursing license in 11 months!

Holy Cross gave me an incredible education. Because it is a liberal arts school, I was able to participate in the renowned Pre-Medical program while studying music, and still have the background to apply for the program I am in now at Boston College where I obtained my RN license in 11 months and am one semester away from finishing my master's in nursing. I also had incredible opportunities musically - I sang at Lincoln Center and at the Vatican in Rome. In contrast, I am not thrilled with Boston College as a graduate school.

Adri

My school is best known for their rigorous academics and prestigious facilities. I admire every building I enter at my college and I feel that their are an infinite number of areas to study quietly and efficiently.

I definitely give myself the following tips: Manage your time wisely Academics before extr-curriculars Get involved in AS MUCH AS YOU CAN to implement diversity!!! Remember that although your college selection maybe a culture shock from high school, this is the REAL WORLD!! Make office hours whether you need help or not Form study groups with kids you do not socially interact w/ all the time to get work efficiently done Above all, dont be a hermit!!!! Take a break from the books on Friday and go out!!!! You have an inifinite number of things to do on campus

The most frustrating thing about my school is its lack of diversity. It is solely focused on the upper white middle and upper class in terms of culture. I feel that this needs to change and diversity should be implemented immediately before the diversity that is current dissipates.

My school has a great reputation for its academic and Jesuit tradition.

My school has a great reputation for its academic and Jesuit tradition.

The key to having a successful college career is to get involved and being true to yourself. When picking a college make sure the school has programs, classes, clubs, and activities that incorporate all of your personal areas of interest and give you room to explore new avenues. Unlike high school college isn't about building up a resume but rather finding out who you are by doing what you enjoy. Over the past two years I have not only learned a lot about myself but I have met some genuine people whom I could relate to and connect with on a deeper level because of our shared interests. Therefore, my advice is to not only study hard and focus on academics but participate in extracurricular activities, because they are what will make your experience most fulfilling.

The business program isn't strong and the study abroad departmant is very unflexible.

Stephen

Communicate. Students, I know you're convinced that you're an adult and can make decisions on your own, but it won't hurt to get the advice of your parents. When it comes down to it, you really don't have to take it anyway. Parents, if you're really concerned about the way you see your child's life heading, voice your opinion. Again, that doesn't mean they'll take your advice, but you won't have to live with the notion that you could have prevented them from making a huge mistake. The college process needs to be a collaborative effort. Everything will go much smoother if it is.

Someone who is prone to panic attacks, who gets easily stressed out, or someone that doesn't really want to focus.

Sometimes it's the lack of communication between what professors actually want out of assignments/papers/exams. Some ask you to make assumptions and then grade harshly when you make the wrong ones.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.