Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Alex

I think if you love that your professors know your name then this is a place for you. If you're really into gettng the top notch education then again this is a place for you. If you're not a decedant of Albert Einstein himself then there isnt really any room for slacking unless you like being disappointed in your grades. If you want to be around freakishly friendly people...the kind who always wait like 5 min holding the door for you...then this is the place for you. School pride at games is huge...you'll be proud to rock the purple and yell out at the rivals and opponents at esp at both american and european football. The college town in my opinion sucks ass...but there is always boston just an our away and aslo Rhode Island...the thing i would change about Holy Cross is people's ability to have more of an open mind about culture and different people in general...and erase their fear and hesitation to talk to other people who are not the same as them in any way...and well if you like what you hear maybe you can perhaps start the new trend this coming year.

Student body is a little bit boring..and very different to what im use to...i came from a very diverse high school...im talking asians, middle eastern...different......this school people of color is just a blip on the map...

More or less i would say that for the students here who drink...we drink....a lot...make a not so fun situation way more hilarious

Classes are generally okay...everyone will definately give you the 411 on any of the professors there so if you're worried about a particular professor...ask around...there is always sway period or W (withdrawal)....classes are small and only get smaller so of course there is definately no hiding.

lot of performances and events...a bunch of comedians come by.....although i wished we had way cooler music artist come. no frat parties here...

One stereotype about the students at Holy Cross is that all we do is study and nothing else or that we party just as hard as we study which i would consider true. But besides drinking and passing out somewhere or even worse being transported...there really isnt anything excited to do aroud here...at least not to my knowledge.

Michelle

I really like the size of Holy Cross. I feel that it is large enough that I don't know everyone on campus but that is small enough that I am not lost in the crowd. I see friendly faces on my walk to class and people I have probably never seen before. It is a good mix. One of the reasons I came here was because of the size: I wanted to be a 'big fish' in a 'little pond' not a 'small fish' in a 'big pond'.

The student body is mostly white, upper-middle class from all over the country. But not everyone fits into that category. Almost all of the states are represented and we have international students. Students are of all different races and ethnicities, politcal backgrounds and financial status. For the most part, people integrate really well on the campus.

Sure, tuition is expensive and everyone here was the smartest person in their school. So it may be a wake-up call when you get here that you have to work really hard. But it is worth it in the end. It will pay off.

No - I don't think so. Sure, some of us may dress the same but I don't think I have ever gone to class and worn the same shirt as the girl sitting next to me. We have students from all walks of life, all areas of the world and all different styles. We are definitely not cookie-cutter images of one another. Get to know us and you will see what I mean.

Professors definitely know your name here - which is really due to the great size of the school. I am not a number here at the college, I am me - a biology major who is very involved and loves to dance. My professors know that. It is suprising how fast the professors get to know your name! I have actually been to numerous professor's houses for dinner. It is a great community atmosphere.

We always leave our dorrs open in our dorms and really try to get to know one another. You can hang out in your rooms or you can go to any number of the school sponsored events: dances, commedians, movies, concerts, etc. We are not a suitcase school - we stay here all year long. Most students, including myself, only go home on schedules breaks. We are here on the weekends and there is always something to do. The school even provides transportation to local malls/shopping and eating areas as well as Boston and Providence.

Some of the stereotypes is that the college is a walking Gap ad. Just open up a cataloge and there we all are.

Molly

Holy Cross has a great community feel to it. I love the size of the school, although some people may feel that it is too small. I like seeing people I know on the way to class. Although our college is in a city, it is a closed campus, so you're not walking on a city street to get to class. The campus is beautiful, it actually stands in very stark contrast to the surrounding city. Because of the size, it won't take you more than 10 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other, which is really nice when you're late for class! Worcester is not the best city, although it has its nice parts that do have some things to offer. The part of the city where the campus is located is not a nice section, but there are shuttles and buses that can take you to area malls and restaurants. Most students find things to do on campus on the weekends.

It would be lying to say that the campus of Holy Cross is a very diverse one. We are mostly Caucasian Irish Catholics. However, I have met the most accepting and socially aware people at Holy Cross. I find the student body very open to issues of relgion, race, and sexuality, even if there is not a large representation of diverse groups on the campus. Students are extremely politically aware, and look for conversations about controversial issues. Most students are in the middle to high socioeconomic status. Many students are liberal, but there is a conservative population as well.

Yes, some students are very preppy. But some aren't. You aren't going to feel left out either way. I am Catholic, so the religious identification of the college matches my own. However, I have never felt that ideals have been forced onto me. You do have to take one religious studies class, but it can be in any religious (from buddhism to Catholicism).

I have loved most of my professors at Holy Cross. I have a major and two concentrations, so I have been able to take a wide array of classes, and most of them have been very interesting. I have never been in a class with more than 45 people, and most of them have been around 20 people. Because of the small class size, the professors get to know you very quickly. I have found them very accessible if you go to their office hours. I have had several favorite classes so far at Holy Cross, an HIV/AIDS biology course, social ethics, and North American theologies of liberation. I have taken many psychology courses that I have really enjoyed too, such as cognitive neuroscience and a seminar on consciousness. Peace and Conflict Studies is an excellent concentration that combines many different academic departments, and draws from some extremely passionate professors. Because Holy Cross is a liberal arts college, there are several core requirements that you have to fulfill on top of major/concentration requirements. I have not really minded doing these requirements, since they helped me to choose which major and concentrations were best for me. I found that fulfilling these requirements early on (within your freshman and sophomore year) have allowed me to take more interesting classes within my major and concentrations during my junior, and soon to be senior year, because of higher class standing. I have found it a little frustrating that Holy Cross does not offer all that many majors. Also it is difficult to get into the courses that you want sometimes, although some professors will let you in if you discuss your desire to be in the class. Like many other liberal arts colleges, Holy Cross does not exactly prepare you for a career, but I like to think that it prepares you for a purposeful life. We are told again and again to be "men and women for others." Although I will be pursuing graduate study that Holy Cross has not prepared me for (in terms of prerequisites I will need), I do not regret my education at Holy Cross. I have become a more aware person, am able to think critically, and have become devoted to issues of social justice because of my education at Holy Cross. I cannot separate that growth and development from my decision to attend Holy Cross.

Many students are involved in clubs and sports on campus, I don't know many people who do absolutely nothing. Popular clubs revolve around volunteering, like SPUD and Appalachia spring break immersion. Students are also involved in student government and Purple Key Society. There are many club sports offered for students that aren't quite varsity status (like me!). I do women's rugby which has been a great experience overall. Coming from a background of gymnastics and tennis, it was very different from anything that I had ever done before. It has introduced me to a great group of girls and a really fun way to keep in shape. There are also other clubs and intramurals, like soccer, lacrosse, tennis, basketball, etc. Social life at Holy Cross is mainly campus-based. While students do go to area bars, most students stay on campus (or go to the houses on the streets off campus) on the weekends. It is more of a laid-back social scene than going to a bar on the weekend. I have really liked it. If you don't drink that's fine too, there are certainly things you can do on campus or off that don't involve drinking. There are always weekend events, usually put on by CAB, and movies played in Kimball. I met my closest friends freshman year because they lived on the same hall as me. We will be living off campus next year for our senior year, which I'm really excited about.

Holy Cross students are extremely preppy. The religious aspect of the school is overwhelming.

John

Over all, Holy Cross is pretty good. It has some shortcomings, mainly transportation. Holy Cross is not in the best part of Worcester, and getting off campus to someplace that does not involve a mall is hard unless you are the lucky few with cars. But Holy Cross has been trying to improve it lately. The other thing is that the art department is quite small. We are not given as much supplies as we should be given and we often have to use our own money to get supplies to finish projects. Besides that, most things are pretty cool. The people are awesome, and are usually pretty nice. It is really easy to get a sense of community at this school. It is small enough to know people whereever you go, but big enough to have your own group and meet new people when you go out. Besides the good social life, the academics are pretty good too. There are alot of good professors, and they take an interest in the student for the most part. There are no TAs, so that is always good and the professors will always find time to have office hours. Holy Cross, in general, is pretty chill, people do their thing and have fun. We work hard and party hard.

The students at Holy Cross are a lot more diverse than people would think, you just have to be brave and talk to people that you normally would not talk to. Racially, we are about 80 percent majority and 20 percent minority. This has gone up in recent years, but you still seee some segregation in the Dining Hall based on race. There are student groups though, called MSOs (Multicultural Student Organizations) which can help people who aren't white, straight and catholic find a place. There are currently eleven ranging from a Black Student Union, to a Association of Bisexuals, Gays and Lesbians. On the most part though there is not alot of tension at the school regarding minorities. This year (2007-8) there was not even one incident I have heard of against a minority. I always felt very comfortable at Holy Cross, even though people might think I shouldn't be, since I am gay. But besides social differences, people tend to be pretty nice at Holy Cross. The Basketball team is wicked (Boston term for "very") nice, definatly breaking that jock stereotype, and most people are always willing to meet new people.

Holy Cross Rocks! I transferred here, and I thought that I would not fit in at all, I knew that I jsut had to get away from my old school. But I found a loving, caring, and awesome community where I know I will have friends for life (how cliche!), but really, Holy Cross has all the usual annoyances of any school: bad food, stupid admins, etc. But it really is overshadowed by all the other good things and people you find here. I would recommends Holy Cross to anyone with an open mind, and wants to have fun. And those fuckin' SATs are not required anymore! Holla!

Not at all. When I was going to Holy Cross, I thought the religious aspect was going to be overpowering, but it is quite the opposite. People are very chill and if you go to church then you go, whatev. That is the basic mentality. Of course there are pockets of conservative people, but I would say that we are a pretty liberal school, definatly the most liberal catholic school, look, we have an allies group, a gay group and a support center. Pretty progressive for a catholic school. Holy Cross is more about learning and being there for others, no matter who they are. Pretty sweet, I think. As for the other stereotype, people do like their J. Crew, but it has definatly slowed down since I first got there. Holy Cross is definatly not a snobby, rich "daddy's wallet" school like people think.

Pretty good for the most part. There will always be classes that are bad and you do not want to take, but hey, deal with it. Overall the academics are good here. The classes are never over thirty, and there are no TAs. The teachers really try to get to know every student and will always make time for office hours. The work load is alot, but there are resources that students can use to help them out. Holy Cross students can be overworked, but there is nothing a good weekend party can't handle to let off some steam. Teachers try to make things fun and try to improve on there classes. The school gives out course evaluation forms which help the teachers with this.

Activities are a little limited here at Holy Cross. Because of the lack of transportation and the lack of things to do in Worcester, the main amusement for most of the students is drinking and partying, and drinking some more. You don't hear too much about drugs, besides pot every once and a while, but mainly Holy Cross is a drinking school. The College tries to put on events, some work out better than others. The most popular are: Last Comic Standing, Black and Gold Fashion Show, Noche Latina, Explorasia, Vagina Monalogues, and Holy Cross Idol. We also have Spring Weekend, before finals when a singer comes and there is a carnival. Holy Cross really does try to make it fun on the weekends, but if there do not make the grade for the sudents, the people who go to the others things are usually drunk beforehand.

I think that there are alot of stereotypes about the school, many based solely on the name. Because we are "Holy Cross" people think we are a bunch of uber conservative Bible thumpers. People often think that we are rich and closed-minded and only care about J. Crew rather than other people's problems. Those are probably the most prevalent stereotypes.

Ryan

-guys, if you don't wear polo and sport a boston red sox hat, don't come here -girls, if you don't own uggs, a vera bradley / longchamp bag, a black northface, and enjoy ordering j-crew online, you will stand out

absolutely -don't fool yourself into thinking you can live with these things/ people if you're at all individualistic -this place crushes creativity -but the campus is beautiful........

-students are very competitive and generally into their studies- people are always working -professors are very good and class sizes are small -I stop and talk to my professors when I see them -While I have a lot of issues with Holy Cross, I can rest assured that I'm getting a good education

-homogeneous society / lack of diversity -white, conventional, conservative, new england, private school kids -rarely leave campus - bubble- when you go to this school, you begin to lose sight of the real world -you must be both a workaholic and alcoholic -worcester= grey (no sun from october to the last week of school) -high school-esque cliques run this school -be prepared to work your hardest and never get good grades since professors get paid to give out Bs -holy cross takes all your money and you never know where it goes (jesuit mansion?)

Erin

The best thing about Holy Cross is the supportive environment. There is pressure to do well in your classes of course, but students are not cut throat or overly competetive. People are always willing to help out classmates. Another great thing is that, sure there are different groups of friends, but there are no cliques. Everyone knows everyone else, either driectly or through someone, and at Coolbeans and off campus it feels like everyone is friends. I like that community/family type feeling.

I went to an inner city public school where everyone wore sweatpants to class. Holy Cross is not that. I've actually started getting dressed for class, believe it or not! There is not a lot of political activity...some, but not a lot. I have friends who consider themselves conservatives and I also have friends that consider themselves liberals.

Worcester is :/...but Holy Cross makes up for it.

Of course not everyone is an ex-athlete but most people are. It's nice though, because there are always plenty of intramurals and club sports. Yes, there might be more religious student at Holy Cross than most liberal arts colleges, but because of those students we have so many great imersion projects and retreats. Programs like those are for students of any spirituality, not just for Catholics. And, no not everyone is from prep schools. I know a lot more public school kids than prep school kids.

My classes are challenging. There are no easy A classes at Holy Cross, and if you find one it won't be there next year because the professor will probably get fired. You definitely earn the grades that you get, and you learn a lot more that way. If you go to Holy Cross you should be serious about school and getting a great education but just as serious about having fun. Classes are small, of course, but I have to say that one of my favorite classes was my intro. to psychology and it had 40 students. The professor really makes or brakes the class and I've never had a professor that I didn't like. I think Holy Cross must pick their professors very carefully.

SPUD is huge on campus, definitely the biggest extracurricular. SPUD is a volunteer program that connects you with the Worcester community. I volunteered at a local YMCA, tutoring and entertaining kids after school. It was a lot of fun and the kids were absolutely adorable. Holy Cross also has a great summer internship program (SIP) that connects you with internships all around the country. In terms of social life, there is always something to do! Holy Cross kids definitely know how to have a good time, whether it is from camping out for a day in the spring to enjoy battle of the bands, drinking for 3 days straight to celebrate St. Patty's day (lots of Irish kids), supporting a capella groups form Holy Cross and other scools at an anual a capella festival. Everyone is really supportive of everyone else and their activities. For example, there was a huge turnout at the a capella festival, the annual musical was a hit, and the women's basketball games accumulated a ton of fans this year. Of course, men's basketball and football games are a blast!

...that the students are all religious, from prep schools, and athletic.

The best thing about Holy Cross is the people who make up the school. The students there are strong minded, but also open minded. For the most part, they will stand up for their own opinions but will also listen to yours. I know it sounds cliche, but the professors really do want you to succeed. I have had some of the most interesting, understanding, helpful, and FUN professors this year. The fact that Holy Cross is built on a mountain takes some getting used to. But that hiking up and down is totally worth it, I promise!!! I actually LOST weight when I went to school, and since I've been home for the summer I've gained some. The mountain makes the school unique, though. Holy Cross definitely would not be the same if I didn't have to climb hundreds of stairs to get from class to my room.

I have to admit that when I first got to Holy Cross I felt out of place. I went to public high school and am at Holy Cross with the help of some hefty scholarships. I felt weird because most of the people I met were fresh out of private school, and some even have families who are paying their entire tuition out of pocket. However, I quickly learned that no matter what their background, students at Holy Cross are great people. Some of my best friends at school come from more money than I can probably ever dream of having, and I can honestly say that they are so down to earth that I wasn't even aware of their money situations until they flat out told me. Students at Holy Cross are very smart and very passionate about their beliefs, but they're easygoing and fun to be around at the same time. They are also very accepting of others, and they embrace people's differences. I know I sound like I'm lying, but I can honestly say I never heard a single racial slur or anything of that sort from a Holy Cross student.

Well, everyone at Holy Cross is very smart; you have to be in order to get in. But they are not all super Catholic; some aren't even Catholic at all!!! Holy Cross fosters diversity and tries to help you become your own person. They offer a non-denominational Mass, and only require you to take one religion course. That course can be on anything from Buddhism to Islam to Hinduism.

Academics at Holy Cross are great. At times difficult, yes, but I feel like I've learned a lot and I've broadened my horizons. I've taken classes that I never thought I would have, such as Women in Classical Mythology and Nature & Politics (my FYP class). Nature and Politics was so much fun thanks to Professor Reno... he's Greek and Roman myths, but they were so much fun to learn about.

I did so many things this year at Holy Cross. I have more than a few friends involved in theater, so I went to a number of plays... which were all really good. My friends and I went to most of the soccer games and several of the basketball games (although I think I jinxed the basketball team... they didn't win a single game I went to). We have tons of speakers who come to campus. During Spring Weekend, we have a carnival with rides, cotton candy, a cookout, etc. We also have a Spring Weekend Concert, which this year was Jason Mraz and Everclear. Honestly, you can pretty much always find something to do, even if it's just heading out to play Frisbee on the turf field or hitting the gym. People leave their doors open a lot of the time if they're in, so you can usually just pop into someone's room and see what they're up to, say hi, have a quick chat, or steal some of their food :-)

That we're all super smart and/or super Catholic.

Holy cross is a tight knit community, at larger schools you never see the same person twice in a crowd, but you run into people you have met all the time which allows you to build closer relationships with those people, the campus is set away from the city of worcester and is its own community. Worcester really isn't a huge part of the school, the city itself is not the safest but the campus security is phenomenal. The food in the dining hall is only OKAY definitely not amazing, but there are always other options which is nice. The most recent controversy at our school was having a woman from an organization come and speak about abortion on campus to speak with students, because although holy cross doesn't force catholicism on you, its foundation IS catholicism and advertising abortion was a very big deal, there were protests and everything.

the student body is relatively small for a college, and so you can see the people multiple times in a day walking to a class or the dining hall. for the most part students here are VERY preppy, most of the students are from new england but also there are many students that come from california as well.

the girls being twigs and anorexic is fairly accurate, and there are a large number of rich and stuck up people, but it definitely does not make up the entire college, and as for the catholicism, it isn't true, holy cross doesn't force catholicism on you

The academics at holy cross are the most important component of the college. very bright people attend holy cross and the standards are very high here. the work is very difficult and it challenges you to push yourself past where you've ever been before. Many many hours are spent studying because holy cross is all about academia. most times when you aren't in class you are in your professors' office discussing problems, issues, or concerns. professors love to see class participation and in some classes it is a very large percentage of your grade.

that the girls are twigs and are anorexic, and that everyone is really snotty, stuck up and rich, a stereotype about holy cross would be that you have to be catholic in order to become a full member of the holy cross community

Many people complain about Holy Cross being built on a (small) mountain (Mt. St. James), it is a beautiful campus and eventually you get used to walking a million stairs a day; not to mention if you are one of those few people that are overweight it is a great place to loose weight just going through your daily rutine. Though we are a tiny college I feel like it is the perfect size. You may see some of the same people everyday while meeting new people all the time. If I could change one thing it'd probably be the area surrounding the school. It is not a bad area per say, it is actually on the up swing. Despite that, there is really nothing to do/ no place to go within walking distance of the campus. Yet there is plenty to do in other parts of Worcester, that you can get to by car, bus, taxi, or other means of transportation.

Well to some degree it's true. There are many of those people but it is not too hard to find people who aren't. There are a few overweight girls and a few more overweight boys, but they are the minority. Although it may seem impossible at first to find non-drinkers, once you find the first one you find a much larger group of people who do not drink.

All of the professors know your name and are very approchable. Most will meet with you whenever and are willing to help. The courses are very tough, we are ranked 3rd for the most amount of work given to undergrad students. We were offered to join the Ivy league schools but declined because we didn't want to loose our religious affiliation. It is not unusual to hear people say, "I should have went to Harvard!" See this is not us being cocky, we understand it is much harder to get into Harvard but we do more work, therefore we beleive it would have been much easier to do well in Harvard. Classes are geared to teach you how to learn, the school is Jesuit run making the focus on knowledge and understanding. But we have plenty of alumni connections that help get people jobs before they have even graduated.

There are many stereotypes that all Holy Cross students are the same: snobby rich kids, very athletic, and party harder than imaginable.

Brian

Not at all, though some fit this description most of the students are middle class and are very friendly. They all seem like the kids I know from my public high school.

That they are all preppy rich kids who are very snobby and are going to Holy Cross on their parents money.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.