Worcester, MA
College of the Holy Cross

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend College of the Holy Cross

Connie

Pretty awesome school. Good education, learn a lot but might not be worth the price tag. Good parties, wish the school was a little bit bigget because by Senior year you know pretty much everyone which has its positives and negatvies. The school loves to gossip. Reminds you of high school. Can be kind of funny because you know what your getting yourself into with a person because you know pretty much everything about them. The town is pretty week. People do not like HC kids. Bar scene is becoming more popular because there are places that are 18+ so the whole school can go. Spring weekend is a great time. Will never forget the things that you remember from your drunken haze.

All rich white kids. Other people have there own clique so you don;t see them. Also, athletes have there own cliques with a sprinkle of some non-athletes in them.

Most are true except that yes the students study real hard and drink hard but some people get around the studying and do more drinking. Also, at the same time there are people who don't go out but they are in there own cliques so people who go out dont miss them and don't think that they exist.

Really tough. No matter what, teachers try to whore you when it comes to grades. They want to make the school look hard so they give people low marks and make things impossible.

Good time. Not too many things to do except party and the kids do it hard. Best thing is going in the dinning hall on Saturday and Sunday mornings looking at all the people and recaping the night.

That they are rich white preppy kids. Kids who love to drink and have a good time. People who study a ton and then party hard on the weekends.

Chris

I don't like Holy Cross but I love what I did here. The administration is too removed from the needs and wants of the student body. The majority of student still act like they're in High School and most Professors (and especially the administration) don't encourage students to mature and change. The surrounding area is OK, you can make the best of it if you have a car. Overall, for me Holy Cross was sometimes too small and many people I came in contact with were very sheltered. However, the friends I made, the groups I was a part of, and the Professors I had made it worth it. My favorite thing about my Holy Cross education was my year abroad.

There's a group on campus for every possible minority. They work hard to accomodate everyone but tend to alienate each group from the other in this way.

Academics is Holy Cross' strong point.

Good social scene if you like drinking in people's houses. If you're already used to a bar scene that you probably won't really like it. The multicultural groups put on excellent events, I've made a lot of my friends attending these. If you're not into drinking they have movies on campus every Friday and Saturday night and a club on Saturday's as well.

Mary

It's the stereotypical college experience - liberal arts classes, traditional campus and mostly resident students.

Almost all Holy Cross students are friendly, involved in many organizations on campus, and serious about academics. One group of students are preppy, rich, from private high schools, and always socializing. Their weekends tend to be consumed by parties which they talk about at the dining hall and coffee shop on Sunday and before Monday classes. This is the stereotypical Holy Cross student, but there are other types of students as well. Many others dress more casually, are more down to earth, and spend their free time working on campus, participating in student organizations and watching movies/playing board games on weekend nights. I would not consider the school a cliquey one; while students have their respective groups of friends, these are permeable groups. Even the two Holy Cross subcultures associate with one another based on common classes and dorms.

While the academics are challenging, I find them manageable, especially with small classes, accesible professors, and only four courses per semester. I take social science classes though; my friends who are natural science and pre-medical students have more work than me. While there are many stereotypical Holy Cross students on campus, over the years I have found students who have other interests, styles, and personalities.

Holy Cross has a liberal arts curriculum where students take some general requirements, major courses, and have the freedom in their curriculum to take other courses that interest them. I've really enjoyed the majority of my classes and find them relevant to each other, my own life and current events. I know that I've learned so much since coming to Holy Cross. While there is substantial work, I would recommend choosing classes based on your interests and skills, and that will make it easier.

Few of my weekends are spent drinking. I like to attend parties occassionally, but don't understand the enjoyment of partaking every weekend night, even though many students on campus choose to do this. I find watching movies at the school theater, shopping and eating out at Blackstone Valley, attending and working at campus plays, and seeing visiting comedians more enjoyable. Our school also has a movie rental service. It does take a while to find students who would rather do these things than drink if you are that type of student, but once you do you will enjoy college so much more. For students who feel they only know students who party on the weekends, I would recommend that they keep trying and stay patient; if I could find my group of friends I believe anyone can. I think this process could me made easier by increased campus dialogue about weekend life, everyone assumes everyone drinks every weekend but there are other things to do as well, and while some students may choose to only party or never party, many students also lie mid spectrum. So I think increased dialogue would allow students to more quickly find the students who are a perfect fit for them. While I am really happy to have found my niche junior year, I empathize with students who haven't yet done so and wish more could be done to assist them.

The academics are very hard. Holy Cross students are rich, white, preppy Catholics who work hard and party harder.

Quinn

the academics are great cause you get the attention that you need from professors. i want more vegetarian food options and there to be more activism on campus, people stating their mind, i like the size of HC cuase i came from a very small private school worcester kinda stinks but there are some great things to do in the city you just have to find them and transportation is really easy with buses to various places each weekend. there is no need to go off campus. the party scene of off campus and in dorms, but if you dont want to you dont have to

kids are nice a nd awsome, like any place there are poeople you like and dont like, but for the most part people are very friendly and academically and socially involved

I love it here and really did not want to leave for the summer.

Some or most of the kids are like this,but not all

pretty much amazing, very difficult and a lot of work, but totally worth it. i love some of my profesors and get frustrated with others, of course profesors know my name you just have to introduce youself and speak up in class. most people always go to class, but their partiipation level varies a lot of people take their academics very seriously and there are kids in the library till close every night, some of the core requirments are annoying but i would not have taken my favorite class without needing to for a requirement. i like that we can make our own majors because i dont want to have to stay in one department office hours are very helpful, but they are not necessary to go to

a lot of people play sprots because we are division 1 and there is a strong theatre department students usually leave doors open, but it depends on the hall and the student freshman year you meet friends because you are living with them people party every weekend and during the week too, however much you want to not greek life is good because there is no hierarchy. there are sports houses off campus though

Charlie

Holy Cross is an excellent school, with an absolutely excellent academic reputation. If you're looking for a school where people will be impressed when you tell them where you go, this is definitely one of those. The location is pretty good - Worcester doesn't really have a whole lot to offer, but there are some popular bars and stuff that can be pretty fun, and Shrewsbury Street is packed with great restaurants, everything from 24-hr diners to expensive classy restaurants. Also Worcester is within an hour from Boston and from Providence. Those are two pretty cool places to go, and HC provides weekend transportation to both.

Holy Cross is not really that diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, but they are really trying to attract and get more diverse students to come here. Students are pretty preppy, and are always dressed up. Skirts and dresses every day in the springtime, lots of J. Crew type stuff. Some people dress down a little more than that, and I wasn't afraid to be myself and wear sweatpants to class, but most people don't. Students are mostly from Massachusetts, and lots come from Connecticut and New York, and definitely come from financially comfortable backgrounds.

It was tough at first because I am not a huge drinker and I wasn't into the kind of lifestyle a lot of people here lead, but there are PLENTY of people here like you if you're like me, it just takes a little more time to find them because these are more than surface-level relationships and they take time. But they happen don't worry, and they're so much more meaningful. Join clubs and things like that to find people that are like you, those will be the closest friends you'll have. Go to sports games with your friends, they're fun and people get really into it, which is awesome. In the end I am so glad I came to this school, the education is amazing, professors are great, and you do learn a whole lot, despite sometimes being a bit overloaded with work. In the end though, this is higher education so you can't lose sight of the fact that academics are a major reason you're here...

For the most part, yes. Weekend parties are mostly sitting around drinking with lots of people, and while someone will always hold the door for you, students are pretty preppy and can have quite a sense of entitlement. There are some that don't fit the mold though!

Academics are really excellent. Class sizes are usually no more than 25, which can make it hard to get into some come course selection time, but it encourages class participation and discussion and your professors really do get to know you. There is a lot of work, a whole lot: we only take 4 classes per semester for a reason. But it is worth it. HC is a liberal arts school and they really push that, so be prepared not to have a focus on job training but really to learn for the sake of learning, and that is definitely how you'll get the most out of college.

Student Programs for Urban Development is the biggest organization - it has tons of volunteer opportunities in different programs around the Worcester area. Close to 1000 students volunteer through SPUD. There is tutoring kids, adolescents, refugees, ESL, working with elderly, soup kitchens, shelters, pretty much everything. In the dorms doors are pretty much mostly shut, but you can become friends with the people on your hall anyway. Most of my friends though come from organizations, my team, or even classes with people so we have similar interests rather than being randomly plopped on a floor together. Partying is frequent, drinking is almost always involved, and you can probably find something any night of the week, although Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are definitely the most, except whatever day St. Patrick's day is, that is a 24 hr party, not joking. There aren't frats or sororities, but there's Caro St. of off-campus apartments people go to, and sports houses that function kind of like frats or sororities. There is stuff to do that doesn't involve drinking though, movies in our own movie theater, and every weekend has at least one event like a comedian or something, so that kind of stuff is cool.

A couple stereotypes are that there is a lot of drinking, and students are rich and kind of snotty.

TJ

Whenever I tell people that I go to Holy Cross, they think that I'm really smart and responsible, and they congratulate me. I think HC is fine in every way. It's located in a college town so I have many resources for anything I want to do. The only thing wrong here is that not every desired major is offered. For example, if I wanted to major in Neuroscience, I would have to create the major, which is possible here, or do a Biopsychology concentration, which is very hard to try getting into because of its competitiveness.

I think everyone here is very accepting of each other no matter how someone is. The students here are also inviting and warm. I would not understand if a visiting student does not want to come here. I know that once I saw Holy Cross and its people, I fell in love immediately. There is much diversity in every aspect and people learn to accept each other and themselves as they lead a good 4 years here.

no, I am not white or racist and certainly, not rich. I also have a lot of friends that are white and that love being around people of different races and cultures. However, there are some snobby people that complain a lot when they don't get what they want.

Holy Cross is crazy with academics. We have very good professors that are funny and ridiculously smart that inspire us as students to do everything the best way we can and with enthusiasm. Our classes are pretty small to individualize attention more, which is really good for our grades. We also get a lot of work and we get it done because there is always a campus activity going on to motivate us to finish our work and get unstressed. Also, most of the people on campus are friendly and it is very easy to acquire friends through intellectual interests and other commonalities.

There's always something going on on campus. I have never been bored. In fact, I think I'm too entertained. I have not found an excuse to go drinking or do anything that I would regret yet.

-that we're snobby and spoiled because we're all rich and white and have never had anything bad to us happen in our lives. -that we're racists or are not understanding of other races

Abby

If I could change one thing about Holy Cross, it'd be location. I love being on top of a hill, but not a Worcester hill. Worcester is very hard to navigate and is not a very exciting city.

Most students are from the Northeast. So, there is a mix of students rocking the preppy look and the boho chic, though the school is predominantly preppy.

Professors want to know you name, but it's really up to the student to make sure they know it.

Most people party on Wednesday or Thursday and then on Friday and Saturday. There is no Greek life on campus. So, parties are mostly off campus on famous Caro St. or in dorms.

The students at Holy Cross make up a walking J.Crew catalog.

Best thing about Holy Cross is we're a school of reputable academic status, we are a Catholic school, and we have many different programs. We're a pretty small school, but that's okay, because you know a lot of people around campus, at Kimball, or Coolbeans. Most people in my hometown don't really know what Holy Cross is, but people up here seem to have a pretty positive outlook on it. I spend most of my time on Fenwick 4, the classics department, because I have no life outside of studying and the shit ton of things I do (see above). And because most of my favorite people here are classics majors (one is sitting behind me with running commentary as I type this). Worcester is hardly a college town, because it's kind of gross, and most of things that are really cool, like the museums and show venues, are kind of far away, and I don't have a car, yet. The administration is pretty helpful, because there aren't enough people on campus for us to get lost in the shuffle, so my dean probably has some sort of an idea of who I am, and my professors are usually on a first-name basis, except for one who habitually calls me Laura Ashley. But I think that he might intentionally be doing that now. The biggest controversy on campus is usually, especially during study period, finding a place to study by yourself. Aside from that, housing is kind of controversial, because no one really is ever happy with what they end up with, unless you're a senior and you're in the apartments. There is school pride, not a ton, but enough. I wouldn't say that there is too much unusal about Holy Cross, aside this fact that this is the only school I visited with a workout plan that accompanies it, because of all the damn stairs we have to climb up. Most of the students complain about work load, but I by no means have found it unbearable.

We aren't very diverse multiculturally, but insofar as LBGT, holy crap, this is a very liberal campus. Maybe it's because I'm from basically rural Ohio, but coming here was a huge eye opener. Students feeling out of place here include hippies, indie kids, goths, emo kids, most people who don't own a Lacoste polo, and those who enjoy sliding through college with minimal effort. Most students dress up for class, and it has always suprised me that most girls wearing stupid high-heeled shoes don't break their ankles more often on the hills that take me out when I wear tennies. Most students are affluent, white, Catholic kids from Something, Massachusetts. Or Connecticuit. But mostly Mass. But that kind of makes the people who aren't from Mass even more lovable because they bring a little bit of diversity to the campus. There aren't many African, Asian, or Native Americans on campus and because of this weird Odyssey program (a program, by the way, that does not do justice to the name), most of the them hang out primarily with each other.

Yes, as you could probably tell from my seasoned sarcasms, this is not my first questionaire I have been asked to fill out. I understand that you want to get some feedback, but come talk to me. I'm much more amiable in person. Mostly because I'm not witty enough to come up with this off the top of my head. All kidding aside, Holy Cross is a great school and I'm incredibly happy here. I know this because I'm looking at 4 months away from campus and really not looking forward to it at all. I have met wonderful people, have had my beliefs challenged and my brain worked hard, and have been given the opportunity to do lots of stuff that I probably couldn't do at home, like ballroom dance, or go to Kenya next May. I have grown in my faith, also, because Holy Cross is a campus that is conducive to discussing and learning about my faith and the faith of others. Likewise, I have had my eyes opened by going to somewhere that different from what I am used to: New England has a unique flavor, and we'll leave it at that. But, as Steph had just said over my left shoulder, I do love it. I couldn't pick another place that I would be equally happy with in the long run.

Sometimes. We do indeed drink quite a bit, and most people are from New England. But there are some minority students, some people from Ohio (like me), and some people who don't drink. But I do feel like those people are vast minorities.

Professors do know my name, but I definitely go out of my way to make sure that they know who I am by going to office hours and participating in class. I love all of my Classics courses, because the teachers are the bomb(s)diggidy and the material interests me, but outside of my major, I have found that classes are likewise satisfying. Students study a ton. A shit ton. Class participation is necessary in most classes, but most students enjoy participating. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but that might be because I hang out with ridiculously smart friends. Students are competitive, but that keeps a high standard for learning up, and I think it motivates people to work harder. The most unique class I have heard of people taking was Lycian, which is a incredibly dead language, dating back to ancient Turkish times. Most people have never even heard of it, and by this class, we pretty much doubled the amount of people who are actually able to read this langauge in the whole world. Pretty cool, right? My major rocks. We have a lot of pride, and we are all friends, we have parties together, we help each other out, and the professors, again, are the shit. There are so many smart people within this department, that, in my humble opinion, we put everyone else to shame. Especially the thousand million biology majors. I spend time with professors outside of my classes, especially my advisor, who I can pretty much go to for anything and everything. He's my at school daddy. We are as a student body, really really really really motivated and hard working. There is even a facebook group devoted to the fact that when we try out absolute hardest, it frequently falls short of the mark nonetheless. Because we are a liberal arts school, we are interested in educating the whole self, so we have to take quasi-pointless classes like philosophy, or, for a classics major, calculus, which basically has no meaning for me and my future, but is valuable to know nonetheless.

SGA is a big deal. Don't really know what they do, but they have a lot of people in it. CAB is also a big deal, especially for spring weekend and dances like Opp Knocks. I'm involved in Ballroom dance, which is also a sweet group, and the people are really friendly and quasi-cultish. You wouldn't be suprised to know that the nerds who enjoy slaving over languages that died with empires that fell out 2 thousand years ago also enjoy dressing up like 1920's aristocracy and dancing like maniacs. Students do leave the dorm room doors open, unless something is going on behind it that they would not like to share with the rest of the hall. Which happens frequently. Dating, eh, you can tell when people are dating, and there's this whole "70% of people marry people from Holy Cross" thing, so that's weird, but kind of comforting? In the classics department and ballroom, and then there are randoms, but mostly those two, are where I found my closest friends. People party a lot. It's okay, you can have fun without it. But there is a considerable amount of drinking going on both on and off campus. It's fun though, so don't worry about it. Last weekend I was studying my ass off, but that shouldn't count. The weekend before that was spring weekend, so we goofed around, went to the carnival thing, didn't actually drink, and danced at groove boston. You can have fun without drinking. Most people chose not to. I don't always; actually I don't usually. There are a lot of people who think that it's not possible to have fun without drinking, but in the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "you just don't have anything better to do." If you find something to do, you are thoroughly entertained. Off campus, shop mostly. Movies, drinking, food, but mostly shopping.

Preppy, New England-y, wealthy, white, Catholic, drunks

Jordan

1. Best things about Holy Cross: -The amazingly friendly and helpful faculty and students -Everyone seems to be so happy all the time -The beautiful campus -The availability and attention of the faculty to meet during office hours -The Counseling Center is the greatest place on campus. 2. One thing I'd change: The close-mindedness of many students; the low diversity (and the racial boundaries) 3. My school is just the right size. 4. When I first started telling people from my hometown that I was going to Holy Cross, most of them did not know where it was or have never heard of it (despite having lived only 50 minutes away!). If they have heard of it, most judge it as a not very good school academics-wise. I must admit that I did not know where it was--nor did I believe it to be a good school. I believe this is because my hometown is predominately Jewish and only 2 students from my high school have attended Holy Cross within 4 years. Other people from other towns, however, think very very highly of Holy Cross. 5. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, outside on the grass (during the Spring), or in the library. 6. There are a lot of colleges in Worcester, however Worcester isn't exactly a hot scene for students. 7. I love Holy Cross's administration. They are all so happy, friendly, and helpful. I believe they are the best out there. 8. From what I can remember, the biggest recent controversy concerned abortion. Pro-life groups protested outside the Campus Center. Many arguments have arisen between pro-life and pro-choice students. 9. There is a TON of school pride. Go to a basketball game and you'll see. 10. The only unusual thing about Holy Cross might be the fact that everyone is always smiling. 11. One experience I'll always remember would be the time I met someone who I identified and shared similar views with. 12. Most frequent student complaints: the academics being too hard, the food, the lack of diversity, the tuition, the winters.

1. The racial groups on campus are very proud of their origins, however the racial boundary between races seems to be tough--many Caucasians hang out with other Caucasians, etc. 2. A person who does not party, is not Christian, is not Caucasian, and those who identify with the Gothic or Punk attire. 3. Most students where collared shirts or skirts--very formal wear. A lot of JCrew. 4. Different types of students do interact, to some degree. 5. The four tables would include: The jocks, the "nerds" who choose not to drink, the minorities, the preps. 6. Most students are from the East Coast, namely from Connecticut. 7. Most students are of high financial status. 8. Most students are conservative. 9. Some students talk about how much money they see themselves earning.

Um...Holy Cross is amazing. I think it needs to be publicized more.

The first two stereotypes are very untrue (I myself am an Atheist minority and I know many faculty who are neither Christian nor Caucasian. The last two, however, I feel to be extremely valid. I see very few students who dress out of the norm (I have seen maybe 2 students who dress punk, goth, etc.) and that has, admittedly, influenced me to do the same. Those who do dress out of the norm seem to stand out and I notice that other students look at them. It's really very sad. As for the last stereotype, I believe it to be true after comparing the amount of workload that my friends at other colleges (including the IVYs). There's actually an entire Facebook group entitled "Holy Cross: Where Your Best Hasn't Been Good Enough Since 1843", which many Holy Cross students, who feel as though they aren't getting the attention that Holy Cross deserves (in terms of academics), have joined. I definitely believe that Holy Cross deserves more attention from the public eye. People don't seem to recognize how hard the academics at Holy Cross are.

1. Yes, professors do know every single student in their classes' names. 2. My favorite class would have to be my First Year Program course with Professor Karen Ober. Her enthusiasm made every single word that came out of her mouth interesting to all. She is also very easy to talk to about personal issues. 3. My least favorite class was my Introduction to Comparative Religions course because of the lack of structure. I did enjoy the professor and his passion for the subjects discussed. 4. Students study ALL OF THE TIME. 5. Class participation is somewhat common. 6. From my experience, Holy Cross students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. 7. There is a lot of competition among the student body. 8. The most unique class I have ever taken would be the Anthropological Perspectives with Professor Caroline Yezer. She is my favorite professor on campus (which is really hard to be because I love all of them) and is so fun and unique. The topics discussed were also very interesting and unusual. 9. I'm a Psychology major in the Pre-medical program. The required courses for Psychology majors are very interesting and have great professors in each one. The Pre-Medical program is perhaps one of the hardest in the country. That's why I think it's one of the best, as well. 10. I meet with each professor at least once every two weeks--sometimes just for fun conversation, to talk about possible career plans, or about a personal dilemma. They are so helpful and show that students really can be friends with their professors. 11. Holy Cross's academic requirements are very do-able. 12. The education at Holy Cross is geared toward learning for its own sake, in my opinion.

1. CAB, basketball, track, football, cheerleading, SGA. 2. Admissions Outreach Program is a great way to help prospective students learn more about Holy Cross with the option of hosting a student during the day, overnight, etc. 3. Yes, students in dorms leave their doors open 4. Athletic events and guest speakers are extremely popular--usually, people have to go early to these functions, in order to get a seat. 5. The dating scene...from what I understand, most kids "hook up". I, however, am in a very stable relationship that both he and I consider to last. 6. I met my closest friends from my dorm, because I lived in a freshman dorm--full of students who were just as nervous about college as I was. 7. If I'm awake that late on a weeknight, I'm studying or doing work. 8. The first snowfall always brings a lot of students who sled down the high hills of Mount St. James. 9. People party a lot, to say the least. 10. There are no fraternities/sororities at Holy Cross, fortunately. 11. Well...it's the summer. Last weekend I visited a few friends from Holy Cross in Connecticut. 12. I actually chose not to drink at Holy Cross and my boyfriend followed suit. We still go to parties but just choose not to drink. 13. I don't really go off-campus.

-Every student and faculty member is either Catholic or of some other sect of Christianity -Every student and faculty member is Caucasian -Students seem to not want to do anything out of the "norm" (preppy clothing, partying, etc.) -"A 3.4 at Holy Cross is a 4.0 at Harvard": The commonly used phrase used to describe how hard Holy Cross students work in order to achieve gratifying results.

College of the Holy Cross administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.