College of the Holy Cross

« See more reviews of College of the Holy Cross

The students at Holy Cross are a lot more diverse than people would think, you just have to be brave and talk to people that you normally would not talk to. Racially, we are about 80 percent majority and 20 percent minority. This has gone up in recent years, but you still seee some segregation in the Dining Hall based on race. There are student groups though, called MSOs (Multicultural Student Organizations) which can help people who aren't white, straight and catholic find a place. There are currently eleven ranging from a Black Student Union, to a Association of Bisexuals, Gays and Lesbians. On the most part though there is not alot of tension at the school regarding minorities. This year (2007-8) there was not even one incident I have heard of against a minority. I always felt very comfortable at Holy Cross, even though people might think I shouldn't be, since I am gay. But besides social differences, people tend to be pretty nice at Holy Cross. The Basketball team is wicked (Boston term for "very") nice, definatly breaking that jock stereotype, and most people are always willing to meet new people.

We aren't very diverse multiculturally, but insofar as LBGT, holy crap, this is a very liberal campus. Maybe it's because I'm from basically rural Ohio, but coming here was a huge eye opener. Students feeling out of place here include hippies, indie kids, goths, emo kids, most people who don't own a Lacoste polo, and those who enjoy sliding through college with minimal effort. Most students dress up for class, and it has always suprised me that most girls wearing stupid high-heeled shoes don't break their ankles more often on the hills that take me out when I wear tennies. Most students are affluent, white, Catholic kids from Something, Massachusetts. Or Connecticuit. But mostly Mass. But that kind of makes the people who aren't from Mass even more lovable because they bring a little bit of diversity to the campus. There aren't many African, Asian, or Native Americans on campus and because of this weird Odyssey program (a program, by the way, that does not do justice to the name), most of the them hang out primarily with each other.

1. The racial groups on campus are very proud of their origins, however the racial boundary between races seems to be tough--many Caucasians hang out with other Caucasians, etc. 2. A person who does not party, is not Christian, is not Caucasian, and those who identify with the Gothic or Punk attire. 3. Most students where collared shirts or skirts--very formal wear. A lot of JCrew. 4. Different types of students do interact, to some degree. 5. The four tables would include: The jocks, the "nerds" who choose not to drink, the minorities, the preps. 6. Most students are from the East Coast, namely from Connecticut. 7. Most students are of high financial status. 8. Most students are conservative. 9. Some students talk about how much money they see themselves earning.

I have best friends who are of other races, and though we tease them good-naturedly, the atmosphere is really very open and accepting. I have many GLBT friends and they are treated very well, contrary to some stereotypes about the school. There seems to be a fair amount of rich people here, but it doesn't really matter - we all live in the same crummy dorm rooms at eat the same crummy food (okay, I'm exaggerating) - but what's the big deal? I will say this: the student body does seem to be unusually well-dressed. Don't let it get you down; there's still plenty of folks who go to class in sweatpants and flip-flops.

Holy Cross is not really that diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, but they are really trying to attract and get more diverse students to come here. Students are pretty preppy, and are always dressed up. Skirts and dresses every day in the springtime, lots of J. Crew type stuff. Some people dress down a little more than that, and I wasn't afraid to be myself and wear sweatpants to class, but most people don't. Students are mostly from Massachusetts, and lots come from Connecticut and New York, and definitely come from financially comfortable backgrounds.

In terms of religion, Holy Cross is very much a Catholic community. I go to church down at the beautiful St. Joseph's chapel every Sunday night at 10, and its amazing how many students are down there practicing their faith. One thing that Holy Cross might be able to work on is the amount of diversity. It's predominantly white, with a very small percentage of minority students. That's not to say there is a racist attitude in the air, but it is something that is pretty noticeable when you walk into the dinning hall or library.

I think everyone here is very accepting of each other no matter how someone is. The students here are also inviting and warm. I would not understand if a visiting student does not want to come here. I know that once I saw Holy Cross and its people, I fell in love immediately. There is much diversity in every aspect and people learn to accept each other and themselves as they lead a good 4 years here.

The greatest thing about Holy Cross is that its students associate with anyone on campus. My good friends have all majors and come from all over the country. I talk to the players on the varsity basketball teams, and I work with many different people in the dining hall. Admittedly, most students are white, upper-middle class, and from the Northeast, but represent all political views and interests.

The student body is mostly white, upper-middle class from all over the country. But not everyone fits into that category. Almost all of the states are represented and we have international students. Students are of all different races and ethnicities, politcal backgrounds and financial status. For the most part, people integrate really well on the campus.

I went to an inner city public school where everyone wore sweatpants to class. Holy Cross is not that. I've actually started getting dressed for class, believe it or not! There is not a lot of political activity...some, but not a lot. I have friends who consider themselves conservatives and I also have friends that consider themselves liberals.