College of the Holy Cross Top Questions

Nikiander

I would say majority is independent but some are very supportive

Josephine

The community embodies the Jesuit ideology of being men and women for others.

Travis

..

Narly

Most of the students have a sense of humor and are willing to learn about others and their back grounds. I have noticed that most of my friends are willing to learn and try new things especially from my culture which I am always willing to share. But one thing I have definitely noticed is that most students have an open mind.

Travis

There are tons of student groups on campus (over 100) and it's easy to start one if you want to do that, too. We have an active political and religious groups, as well as an LGBT student-group. Different groups do interact, but sometimes social groups tend to be somewhat insulated. Students are generally upper-middle class, white, and Catholic. Politically, the school is actually pretty diverse. There are both liberals and conservatives, and both can be pretty active. About half of our student body is from New England, but we have a sizable exchange student-population, too. The dining hall is actually a really great place to meet new people and interact with different groups. You always go there and see someone you know. Although there are cliques and social groups, people are generally very friendly.

Andrew

Most are typically preppy caucasian rich kids who love to drink.

Margaret

Focused and stressed but they like to let loose on the weekends.

Caitlin

Friendly and very competitive.

Kelly

hardworking, rich, and nice

Marian

A conglomeration of mostly upper middle class kids who are consumed with work and also love to have fun.

Alex

Student body is a little bit boring..and very different to what im use to...i came from a very diverse high school...im talking asians, middle eastern...different......this school people of color is just a blip on the map...

Michelle

The student body is mostly white, upper-middle class from all over the country. But not everyone fits into that category. Almost all of the states are represented and we have international students. Students are of all different races and ethnicities, politcal backgrounds and financial status. For the most part, people integrate really well on the campus.

Molly

It would be lying to say that the campus of Holy Cross is a very diverse one. We are mostly Caucasian Irish Catholics. However, I have met the most accepting and socially aware people at Holy Cross. I find the student body very open to issues of relgion, race, and sexuality, even if there is not a large representation of diverse groups on the campus. Students are extremely politically aware, and look for conversations about controversial issues. Most students are in the middle to high socioeconomic status. Many students are liberal, but there is a conservative population as well.

John

The students at Holy Cross are a lot more diverse than people would think, you just have to be brave and talk to people that you normally would not talk to. Racially, we are about 80 percent majority and 20 percent minority. This has gone up in recent years, but you still seee some segregation in the Dining Hall based on race. There are student groups though, called MSOs (Multicultural Student Organizations) which can help people who aren't white, straight and catholic find a place. There are currently eleven ranging from a Black Student Union, to a Association of Bisexuals, Gays and Lesbians. On the most part though there is not alot of tension at the school regarding minorities. This year (2007-8) there was not even one incident I have heard of against a minority. I always felt very comfortable at Holy Cross, even though people might think I shouldn't be, since I am gay. But besides social differences, people tend to be pretty nice at Holy Cross. The Basketball team is wicked (Boston term for "very") nice, definatly breaking that jock stereotype, and most people are always willing to meet new people.

Ryan

-guys, if you don't wear polo and sport a boston red sox hat, don't come here -girls, if you don't own uggs, a vera bradley / longchamp bag, a black northface, and enjoy ordering j-crew online, you will stand out

Erin

I went to an inner city public school where everyone wore sweatpants to class. Holy Cross is not that. I've actually started getting dressed for class, believe it or not! There is not a lot of political activity...some, but not a lot. I have friends who consider themselves conservatives and I also have friends that consider themselves liberals.

I have to admit that when I first got to Holy Cross I felt out of place. I went to public high school and am at Holy Cross with the help of some hefty scholarships. I felt weird because most of the people I met were fresh out of private school, and some even have families who are paying their entire tuition out of pocket. However, I quickly learned that no matter what their background, students at Holy Cross are great people. Some of my best friends at school come from more money than I can probably ever dream of having, and I can honestly say that they are so down to earth that I wasn't even aware of their money situations until they flat out told me. Students at Holy Cross are very smart and very passionate about their beliefs, but they're easygoing and fun to be around at the same time. They are also very accepting of others, and they embrace people's differences. I know I sound like I'm lying, but I can honestly say I never heard a single racial slur or anything of that sort from a Holy Cross student.

the student body is relatively small for a college, and so you can see the people multiple times in a day walking to a class or the dining hall. for the most part students here are VERY preppy, most of the students are from new england but also there are many students that come from california as well.

Connie

All rich white kids. Other people have there own clique so you don;t see them. Also, athletes have there own cliques with a sprinkle of some non-athletes in them.

Chris

There's a group on campus for every possible minority. They work hard to accomodate everyone but tend to alienate each group from the other in this way.

Mary

Almost all Holy Cross students are friendly, involved in many organizations on campus, and serious about academics. One group of students are preppy, rich, from private high schools, and always socializing. Their weekends tend to be consumed by parties which they talk about at the dining hall and coffee shop on Sunday and before Monday classes. This is the stereotypical Holy Cross student, but there are other types of students as well. Many others dress more casually, are more down to earth, and spend their free time working on campus, participating in student organizations and watching movies/playing board games on weekend nights. I would not consider the school a cliquey one; while students have their respective groups of friends, these are permeable groups. Even the two Holy Cross subcultures associate with one another based on common classes and dorms.

Quinn

kids are nice a nd awsome, like any place there are poeople you like and dont like, but for the most part people are very friendly and academically and socially involved

Charlie

Holy Cross is not really that diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, but they are really trying to attract and get more diverse students to come here. Students are pretty preppy, and are always dressed up. Skirts and dresses every day in the springtime, lots of J. Crew type stuff. Some people dress down a little more than that, and I wasn't afraid to be myself and wear sweatpants to class, but most people don't. Students are mostly from Massachusetts, and lots come from Connecticut and New York, and definitely come from financially comfortable backgrounds.

TJ

I think everyone here is very accepting of each other no matter how someone is. The students here are also inviting and warm. I would not understand if a visiting student does not want to come here. I know that once I saw Holy Cross and its people, I fell in love immediately. There is much diversity in every aspect and people learn to accept each other and themselves as they lead a good 4 years here.

Abby

Most students are from the Northeast. So, there is a mix of students rocking the preppy look and the boho chic, though the school is predominantly preppy.

We aren't very diverse multiculturally, but insofar as LBGT, holy crap, this is a very liberal campus. Maybe it's because I'm from basically rural Ohio, but coming here was a huge eye opener. Students feeling out of place here include hippies, indie kids, goths, emo kids, most people who don't own a Lacoste polo, and those who enjoy sliding through college with minimal effort. Most students dress up for class, and it has always suprised me that most girls wearing stupid high-heeled shoes don't break their ankles more often on the hills that take me out when I wear tennies. Most students are affluent, white, Catholic kids from Something, Massachusetts. Or Connecticuit. But mostly Mass. But that kind of makes the people who aren't from Mass even more lovable because they bring a little bit of diversity to the campus. There aren't many African, Asian, or Native Americans on campus and because of this weird Odyssey program (a program, by the way, that does not do justice to the name), most of the them hang out primarily with each other.

Jordan

1. The racial groups on campus are very proud of their origins, however the racial boundary between races seems to be tough--many Caucasians hang out with other Caucasians, etc. 2. A person who does not party, is not Christian, is not Caucasian, and those who identify with the Gothic or Punk attire. 3. Most students where collared shirts or skirts--very formal wear. A lot of JCrew. 4. Different types of students do interact, to some degree. 5. The four tables would include: The jocks, the "nerds" who choose not to drink, the minorities, the preps. 6. Most students are from the East Coast, namely from Connecticut. 7. Most students are of high financial status. 8. Most students are conservative. 9. Some students talk about how much money they see themselves earning.

Jamie

I have best friends who are of other races, and though we tease them good-naturedly, the atmosphere is really very open and accepting. I have many GLBT friends and they are treated very well, contrary to some stereotypes about the school. There seems to be a fair amount of rich people here, but it doesn't really matter - we all live in the same crummy dorm rooms at eat the same crummy food (okay, I'm exaggerating) - but what's the big deal? I will say this: the student body does seem to be unusually well-dressed. Don't let it get you down; there's still plenty of folks who go to class in sweatpants and flip-flops.

Tate

"Hate not here" is a slogan of ours on many signs around campus. Students here are described as "nice."

Eric

There is no specific type of student that should (or should not) attend Holy Cross. People from all walks of life come to Holy Cross, with one thing in common: do well in school, and have fun while you're here. As I stated above, students from any financial background come to Holy Cross because of the great amount of needs-based financial aid provided. There is no discrimination here.

KC

The greatest thing about Holy Cross is that its students associate with anyone on campus. My good friends have all majors and come from all over the country. I talk to the players on the varsity basketball teams, and I work with many different people in the dining hall. Admittedly, most students are white, upper-middle class, and from the Northeast, but represent all political views and interests.

Kim

There is not a lot of diversity on campus, but I feel like there is a level of tolerance. We started the "Hate, Not Here" program, which really supports people of every ethnicity, religion, or sexuality on campus.

Michelle

The stereotype of Holy Cross is that all the students are white and rich. This isn't true. There are a lot of students from well-off families, but there's plenty of diversity. I don't know that any student would feel out of place on campus because most people I have met are very friendly and nice.

Matthew

In terms of religion, Holy Cross is very much a Catholic community. I go to church down at the beautiful St. Joseph's chapel every Sunday night at 10, and its amazing how many students are down there practicing their faith. One thing that Holy Cross might be able to work on is the amount of diversity. It's predominantly white, with a very small percentage of minority students. That's not to say there is a racist attitude in the air, but it is something that is pretty noticeable when you walk into the dinning hall or library.

Kristin

Holy Cross is an incredibly small school that since founding in 1843 has been predominently white and Catholic. Today the college is trying to change this demographic and the class of 2011 is the most diverse class in the college's history. Though this is a small feat in comparison to other small liberal arts colleges and it is the college's goal to continue trying to diversify. On the surface most students seem to shop at typical "preppy" stores such as J. Crew and Abercrombie and Fitch. When getting to know a lot of students, many of them do shop at these stores, but many shop other places as well. However, students that dress significantly different for example, punk, do stand out while walking around campus. While it may seem that the campus is predominently conservative, to the "right", there are a decent number of students to the "left", but most do not really seem to sway one way or another. Students are very aware of what they plan on doing after college and many aspire to have jobs that will provide a stable job that will earn them a lot of money.

Maureen

There is not a large portion of minority students here. The majority are Irish Catholic. However, there are many programs, such as the Odyssey program, that help assimilate minorities into the campus life, and all different types of students interact.

Jamie

There is a small student body so you get to really know your peers.

Erin

I think anyone would feel comfortable coming to Holy Cross. Everyone finds a place here on campus. People wear all different kinda of clothes, from skirts to sweat pants. At the dining hall, everyone sits together. Wherever you want to fit in, you will. A lot of students come from the Northeast, however people come from all over.

Parker

Holy Cross is not very diverse, but none the less there is a mixture of many different types of people. Most students are very conservative but its not too overwhelming. The dining hall is great. The sports teams sit together, but witht everyone else, its a free for all. Most kids are middle class and from the Northeast, ususally Massachusetts.

Lily

Holy Cross is pretty diverse. I have seen no example of any intolerance on campus. Everyone is made to feel at home here. Holy Cross does have a high prevalence of upper middle class students, but the financial aid package here can be very helpful, so we do have some lower class students. Students are genuinely kind to one another on campus. Everyone holds doors for one another and says hello as you walk by.

Justin

not diverse- not very preppy, but definitely not goth punk. I consider it pretty nuetral small student body, so i feel i know a lot of my class and it is nice to be able to know a lot of people

David

There are not a lot of minorities on campus. A lot of the students are on the northeast.

Students at Holy Cross generally tend to be very well-dressed and put together. On many of my friends' campuses students regularly go to class in sweats, while here at Holy Cross, I feel like I am one of the few to do so. A lot of the students also come from very financially secure backgrounds and are on the "road to success" so to speak. Most students are politically active and there are many different types of organizations on campus that offer support for all types of thought. The campus is still, however, definitely lacking in diversity.

there are mostly white, upper middle class kids here, but that being said there are a good amount of minorities. the student that would feel out of place is the student that doesnt want to be among people who care about school.

Jeffrey

The average Holy Cross student is upper-middle class, here on the grace of their parents paying the high tuition for them. There isn't much diversity on campus, with most minorities being recruited athletes.

Charlotte

Students come from all walks of life. Most are Catholic, as it is Holy Cross! There are many different active social groups on campus that support different racial, religious, and LBGT sectors of people on campus.

Casey

Unfortunately, I do not feel that Holy Cross is very diverse. When you walk into Kimball, segregation is evident--black people sit at one table and white people sit at another. However, students are aware of this and changes are trying to be made.

Tara

Student body: is generally very accepting of all backgrounds, and is constantly becoming more diverse... surprisingly, the student body tends to be slightly more liberal than conservative. "Acceptance" is very important on campus (as seen through the Hate Not Here campaign).