College of the Holy Cross

« See more reviews of College of the Holy Cross

The first two stereotypes are very untrue (I myself am an Atheist minority and I know many faculty who are neither Christian nor Caucasian. The last two, however, I feel to be extremely valid. I see very few students who dress out of the norm (I have seen maybe 2 students who dress punk, goth, etc.) and that has, admittedly, influenced me to do the same. Those who do dress out of the norm seem to stand out and I notice that other students look at them. It's really very sad. As for the last stereotype, I believe it to be true after comparing the amount of workload that my friends at other colleges (including the IVYs). There's actually an entire Facebook group entitled "Holy Cross: Where Your Best Hasn't Been Good Enough Since 1843", which many Holy Cross students, who feel as though they aren't getting the attention that Holy Cross deserves (in terms of academics), have joined. I definitely believe that Holy Cross deserves more attention from the public eye. People don't seem to recognize how hard the academics at Holy Cross are.

Not at all. When I was going to Holy Cross, I thought the religious aspect was going to be overpowering, but it is quite the opposite. People are very chill and if you go to church then you go, whatev. That is the basic mentality. Of course there are pockets of conservative people, but I would say that we are a pretty liberal school, definatly the most liberal catholic school, look, we have an allies group, a gay group and a support center. Pretty progressive for a catholic school. Holy Cross is more about learning and being there for others, no matter who they are. Pretty sweet, I think. As for the other stereotype, people do like their J. Crew, but it has definatly slowed down since I first got there. Holy Cross is definatly not a snobby, rich "daddy's wallet" school like people think.

Both of these stereotypes are pretty accurate. However, while it is true you will come across a lot of preppy kids, that does not define who they are as people. Everyone here is usually a very nice, outgoing individual that likes to work hard. It just so happens they like to look their best while they do so. In terms of the work hard, play hard stereotype, that is pretty true as well. Usually the students are consumed by so much work and stress during the week that when the weekend comes around, they like to blow off some steam.

Of course not everyone is an ex-athlete but most people are. It's nice though, because there are always plenty of intramurals and club sports. Yes, there might be more religious student at Holy Cross than most liberal arts colleges, but because of those students we have so many great imersion projects and retreats. Programs like those are for students of any spirituality, not just for Catholics. And, no not everyone is from prep schools. I know a lot more public school kids than prep school kids.

Many students are often more concerned with their GPA than real-world applicability of their work in the classroom to be men and women for others. It's true that Holy Cross students pledge an allegiance to Boston sports, epecially the Red Sox. Students are indeed obsessed with alcohol; it seems to be the primary social medium and there is little acceptance for those that don't fit into this mold. Holy Cross is truly a work-hard then party-hard environment.

Holy Cross does have a sizable drinking culture, but it remains mostly in control. It's definitely possible to avoid it, too, if it's not your scene. Many HC students are "typical college students," concerned about little more than surviving classes until the weekend, but most are great people, who care deeply about society and helping others. Academics are hard.

No - I don't think so. Sure, some of us may dress the same but I don't think I have ever gone to class and worn the same shirt as the girl sitting next to me. We have students from all walks of life, all areas of the world and all different styles. We are definitely not cookie-cutter images of one another. Get to know us and you will see what I mean.

The truth is somewhere in between... I have a lot of friends who have elements of both of those characteristics in them. Holy Cross is a hard school, and if you want to succeed, it is hard work. But everyone can choose to study just like they all can choose to drink. Nothing is true for the whole group.

For the most part, yes. Weekend parties are mostly sitting around drinking with lots of people, and while someone will always hold the door for you, students are pretty preppy and can have quite a sense of entitlement. There are some that don't fit the mold though!

no, I am not white or racist and certainly, not rich. I also have a lot of friends that are white and that love being around people of different races and cultures. However, there are some snobby people that complain a lot when they don't get what they want.