College of the Holy Cross

« See more reviews of College of the Holy Cross

Professors do know my name, but I definitely go out of my way to make sure that they know who I am by going to office hours and participating in class. I love all of my Classics courses, because the teachers are the bomb(s)diggidy and the material interests me, but outside of my major, I have found that classes are likewise satisfying. Students study a ton. A shit ton. Class participation is necessary in most classes, but most students enjoy participating. We do have intellectual conversations outside of class, but that might be because I hang out with ridiculously smart friends. Students are competitive, but that keeps a high standard for learning up, and I think it motivates people to work harder. The most unique class I have heard of people taking was Lycian, which is a incredibly dead language, dating back to ancient Turkish times. Most people have never even heard of it, and by this class, we pretty much doubled the amount of people who are actually able to read this langauge in the whole world. Pretty cool, right? My major rocks. We have a lot of pride, and we are all friends, we have parties together, we help each other out, and the professors, again, are the shit. There are so many smart people within this department, that, in my humble opinion, we put everyone else to shame. Especially the thousand million biology majors. I spend time with professors outside of my classes, especially my advisor, who I can pretty much go to for anything and everything. He's my at school daddy. We are as a student body, really really really really motivated and hard working. There is even a facebook group devoted to the fact that when we try out absolute hardest, it frequently falls short of the mark nonetheless. Because we are a liberal arts school, we are interested in educating the whole self, so we have to take quasi-pointless classes like philosophy, or, for a classics major, calculus, which basically has no meaning for me and my future, but is valuable to know nonetheless.

1. Yes, professors do know every single student in their classes' names. 2. My favorite class would have to be my First Year Program course with Professor Karen Ober. Her enthusiasm made every single word that came out of her mouth interesting to all. She is also very easy to talk to about personal issues. 3. My least favorite class was my Introduction to Comparative Religions course because of the lack of structure. I did enjoy the professor and his passion for the subjects discussed. 4. Students study ALL OF THE TIME. 5. Class participation is somewhat common. 6. From my experience, Holy Cross students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. 7. There is a lot of competition among the student body. 8. The most unique class I have ever taken would be the Anthropological Perspectives with Professor Caroline Yezer. She is my favorite professor on campus (which is really hard to be because I love all of them) and is so fun and unique. The topics discussed were also very interesting and unusual. 9. I'm a Psychology major in the Pre-medical program. The required courses for Psychology majors are very interesting and have great professors in each one. The Pre-Medical program is perhaps one of the hardest in the country. That's why I think it's one of the best, as well. 10. I meet with each professor at least once every two weeks--sometimes just for fun conversation, to talk about possible career plans, or about a personal dilemma. They are so helpful and show that students really can be friends with their professors. 11. Holy Cross's academic requirements are very do-able. 12. The education at Holy Cross is geared toward learning for its own sake, in my opinion.

Academics at Holy Cross is taken very seriously. The classes are very small, which makes it easy to get to know your professor, and work closely with them. My favorite classes have been in the psychology department. The professors are brilliant, and amazing lecturers. Every professor I have had has known me by name, and has taken interest to my life outside the classroom. Class participation is graded in every class, and missed classes are looked down upon. Students around campus often talk about there classes, and debate issues that were brought up in class. People take pride in their classes, and enjoy learning. Students can be competitive, however they are mostly helpful and encouraging. I have often spent time with professors outside class, either at the student center, or a sport event. There are a lot of requirements here, however the liberal arts requirements create well rounded students. Education here is centered around learning and expanding your mind, however they do help with finding a career.

The academics are great. A lot of the classes, especially after intro classes, are very small. The professors always know your name, and they're very helpful during office hours. They're all very easy to reach by email. My favorite class was Afro-Latin America. There were only 10 or 11 of us in the class. We learned about the culture of Latin-Afro America not only by reading texts and discussing them, but we also went to botanicas around Worcester to interview the owners of these religious stores. It was an experience I will never forget. The classes are demanding, so there is a lot of time devoted to reading, writing, and studying, but there's still plenty of time for extracurricular activities or just hanging out with your friends. I'm a history major in the teacher education program. The history and education departments have both been great. Most of the professors have been amazing. I've been to a couple of my professors' houses with the class.

You get out of the academics what you put in. If you try and cruise through classes without participating or getting help like you probably did in high school, you will get killed. The classes are so hard and have so much work that you need to give 100% in everything, and even then you probably wont get the GPA you wanted. However, the teachers notice your effort and if they know you are trying then they will help you out all they can. My favorite class so far has been the creative writing in non-fiction class I took. I am an english major, and was getting sick of writing analytical papers about books that were written 500 years before I was even born, so this class really broadened my horizons because it allowed me to write about things prevalent to my life.

pretty much amazing, very difficult and a lot of work, but totally worth it. i love some of my profesors and get frustrated with others, of course profesors know my name you just have to introduce youself and speak up in class. most people always go to class, but their partiipation level varies a lot of people take their academics very seriously and there are kids in the library till close every night, some of the core requirments are annoying but i would not have taken my favorite class without needing to for a requirement. i like that we can make our own majors because i dont want to have to stay in one department office hours are very helpful, but they are not necessary to go to

My classes are challenging. There are no easy A classes at Holy Cross, and if you find one it won't be there next year because the professor will probably get fired. You definitely earn the grades that you get, and you learn a lot more that way. If you go to Holy Cross you should be serious about school and getting a great education but just as serious about having fun. Classes are small, of course, but I have to say that one of my favorite classes was my intro. to psychology and it had 40 students. The professor really makes or brakes the class and I've never had a professor that I didn't like. I think Holy Cross must pick their professors very carefully.

Pretty good for the most part. There will always be classes that are bad and you do not want to take, but hey, deal with it. Overall the academics are good here. The classes are never over thirty, and there are no TAs. The teachers really try to get to know every student and will always make time for office hours. The work load is alot, but there are resources that students can use to help them out. Holy Cross students can be overworked, but there is nothing a good weekend party can't handle to let off some steam. Teachers try to make things fun and try to improve on there classes. The school gives out course evaluation forms which help the teachers with this.

Students have a unique opportunity to get to know professors, especially those within their major field of study, extremely well. Students who take advantage of office hours will often get lots of assistance on assignments, will forge solid relationships with faculty members for future recommendations, and can learn a great deal. The academics are RIGOROUS. Students only take 4 courses a semester because they are all so demanding. Most students can be found spending many hours in the library at least a few days a week and the amounts of homework and reading at times get excessive. A high GPA at Holy Cross is a signal achievement.

Holy Cross is crazy with academics. We have very good professors that are funny and ridiculously smart that inspire us as students to do everything the best way we can and with enthusiasm. Our classes are pretty small to individualize attention more, which is really good for our grades. We also get a lot of work and we get it done because there is always a campus activity going on to motivate us to finish our work and get unstressed. Also, most of the people on campus are friendly and it is very easy to acquire friends through intellectual interests and other commonalities.