College of the Holy Cross

« See more reviews of College of the Holy Cross

SGA is a big deal. Don't really know what they do, but they have a lot of people in it. CAB is also a big deal, especially for spring weekend and dances like Opp Knocks. I'm involved in Ballroom dance, which is also a sweet group, and the people are really friendly and quasi-cultish. You wouldn't be suprised to know that the nerds who enjoy slaving over languages that died with empires that fell out 2 thousand years ago also enjoy dressing up like 1920's aristocracy and dancing like maniacs. Students do leave the dorm room doors open, unless something is going on behind it that they would not like to share with the rest of the hall. Which happens frequently. Dating, eh, you can tell when people are dating, and there's this whole "70% of people marry people from Holy Cross" thing, so that's weird, but kind of comforting? In the classics department and ballroom, and then there are randoms, but mostly those two, are where I found my closest friends. People party a lot. It's okay, you can have fun without it. But there is a considerable amount of drinking going on both on and off campus. It's fun though, so don't worry about it. Last weekend I was studying my ass off, but that shouldn't count. The weekend before that was spring weekend, so we goofed around, went to the carnival thing, didn't actually drink, and danced at groove boston. You can have fun without drinking. Most people chose not to. I don't always; actually I don't usually. There are a lot of people who think that it's not possible to have fun without drinking, but in the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "you just don't have anything better to do." If you find something to do, you are thoroughly entertained. Off campus, shop mostly. Movies, drinking, food, but mostly shopping.

SPUD, or student program for urban development, is the largest group on campus. It's a group that has different volunteer groups around Worcester. There's groups for tutoring and mentoring children, helping the homeless, talking to the elderly at nursing homes, etc. It's so easy to do because there are vans running to all the sites. It's a fabulous experience because you're helping people, but since there's so many options, you can pick something that you'll actually enjoy doing too. My freshman year, I did Homeless Family Outreach, where I volunteered at a homeless shelter and played with little kids. Last year, I volunteered at Burncoat High School and tutored there. This year, I am living abroad in Galway in Ireland. It has been a fabulous experience!!! But, I definitely miss Holy Cross because it is such a wonderful place to live. The basketball games are always packed. Most people I know go to a lot of the games. Most people leave their doors open in the dorms. I knew everyone on my floor when I lived in Hanselman and Lehy. Most of my closest friends lived in my dorm freshman year or in my building, but I met more people through my friends. There's movies in the Kimball theater a couple times a week, and there's always sporting events to go to on the weekends.

1. CAB, basketball, track, football, cheerleading, SGA. 2. Admissions Outreach Program is a great way to help prospective students learn more about Holy Cross with the option of hosting a student during the day, overnight, etc. 3. Yes, students in dorms leave their doors open 4. Athletic events and guest speakers are extremely popular--usually, people have to go early to these functions, in order to get a seat. 5. The dating scene...from what I understand, most kids "hook up". I, however, am in a very stable relationship that both he and I consider to last. 6. I met my closest friends from my dorm, because I lived in a freshman dorm--full of students who were just as nervous about college as I was. 7. If I'm awake that late on a weeknight, I'm studying or doing work. 8. The first snowfall always brings a lot of students who sled down the high hills of Mount St. James. 9. People party a lot, to say the least. 10. There are no fraternities/sororities at Holy Cross, fortunately. 11. Well...it's the summer. Last weekend I visited a few friends from Holy Cross in Connecticut. 12. I actually chose not to drink at Holy Cross and my boyfriend followed suit. We still go to parties but just choose not to drink. 13. I don't really go off-campus.

Student Programs for Urban Development is the biggest organization - it has tons of volunteer opportunities in different programs around the Worcester area. Close to 1000 students volunteer through SPUD. There is tutoring kids, adolescents, refugees, ESL, working with elderly, soup kitchens, shelters, pretty much everything. In the dorms doors are pretty much mostly shut, but you can become friends with the people on your hall anyway. Most of my friends though come from organizations, my team, or even classes with people so we have similar interests rather than being randomly plopped on a floor together. Partying is frequent, drinking is almost always involved, and you can probably find something any night of the week, although Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays are definitely the most, except whatever day St. Patrick's day is, that is a 24 hr party, not joking. There aren't frats or sororities, but there's Caro St. of off-campus apartments people go to, and sports houses that function kind of like frats or sororities. There is stuff to do that doesn't involve drinking though, movies in our own movie theater, and every weekend has at least one event like a comedian or something, so that kind of stuff is cool.

Clubs sports are very popular here. If you do not belong to a varsity sport, club sports are worth it. They give you an instant feeling of belonging, and they are so much fun. People here are very involved, and may be involved in tons of groups. This is one reason why everyone is friends with everyone. Groups mix, and so do friends. Students in the dorms leave there doors open, and generally welcome anyone who comes in. The school offers great speakers all the time. Everyday there is something on campus going on. Finding friends on campus is so easy. They have all programs to meet your neighbors. If you don't find a friend, join a group. I met my friends from my freshman year floor, and I'm still living with them. Also, everyone on the rugby team is my close friend. People party here a lot, but only if you want to. People do drink, however if you chose not to drink, people wont judge you, and welcome you to their party anyway. Fraternities and sororities are not on campus, however sport teams kind of take that place. The school also offers alternatives for the people who do not want to party on or off campus. They have a dance party every saturday, and a free movie theatre.

SPUD is huge on campus, definitely the biggest extracurricular. SPUD is a volunteer program that connects you with the Worcester community. I volunteered at a local YMCA, tutoring and entertaining kids after school. It was a lot of fun and the kids were absolutely adorable. Holy Cross also has a great summer internship program (SIP) that connects you with internships all around the country. In terms of social life, there is always something to do! Holy Cross kids definitely know how to have a good time, whether it is from camping out for a day in the spring to enjoy battle of the bands, drinking for 3 days straight to celebrate St. Patty's day (lots of Irish kids), supporting a capella groups form Holy Cross and other scools at an anual a capella festival. Everyone is really supportive of everyone else and their activities. For example, there was a huge turnout at the a capella festival, the annual musical was a hit, and the women's basketball games accumulated a ton of fans this year. Of course, men's basketball and football games are a blast!

Activities are a little limited here at Holy Cross. Because of the lack of transportation and the lack of things to do in Worcester, the main amusement for most of the students is drinking and partying, and drinking some more. You don't hear too much about drugs, besides pot every once and a while, but mainly Holy Cross is a drinking school. The College tries to put on events, some work out better than others. The most popular are: Last Comic Standing, Black and Gold Fashion Show, Noche Latina, Explorasia, Vagina Monalogues, and Holy Cross Idol. We also have Spring Weekend, before finals when a singer comes and there is a carnival. Holy Cross really does try to make it fun on the weekends, but if there do not make the grade for the sudents, the people who go to the others things are usually drunk beforehand.

The much-maligned city of Worcester, is actually a great place for a college. There are ten colleges in the area, and plenty of great things to do. There are concerts every week, from classical to rock music, either at those colleges or at the several local theaters. Shrewsbury Street is packed with great restaurants. Shopping areas are a long (though refreshing, on a nice day) walk or a short cab or bus ride away. Worcester has some great book stores, and many small shops that are great for an easy and interesting browse. Granted, it is not a Boston or a New York, but, for a small city, Worcester is a lot of fun.

The sports scene at Holy Cross is good, but not great. We have a real good basketball program, as our teams usually compete to make the NCAA tournament. Our football team is on the rise. They have had a few real good seasons and with their success has come a much stronger fan base. In terms of other sports though, they are rather mediocre and the amount of support for them is sub par. In terms of the social scene, it's a real fun school. School run functions such as concerts and fairs are usually fun and provide a good way to interact with your friends as well as people you may not know as well.

The Holy Cross student is typically very busy. Because the school is so small and so many things are happening on campus at one given time, students are often involved in different things. I met my closest friends living on the same floor with them. Students are typically friendly and open to friendship. Fraternities and sororities are nonexistent. Drinking is very big on the weekends, but the school makes an effort to hold events and entertainment on the weekends so students aren't forced to drink, but I don't know how well attended those events are. Athletic events are well attended.