College of the Holy Cross

« See more reviews of College of the Holy Cross

From a job application essay I wrote recently about school spirit: The most memorable experience of my Holy Cross career was accompanying the basketball teams to both NCAA Tournaments in 2007. As a member of the pep band, the NCAA flew me to Columbus, Ohio, to help cheer on the men's basketball team in the middle of last March. The trip was unbelievable. I was able to go for free to one of the biggest sporting events in the country where I had a courtside seat, and I had a chance to spend a weekend with my friends away from schoolwork. The best part of the weekend, and a memory I am sure will stay with me for ever, happened just before the game: the band walked into the packed stadium through the team entrance, and the Holy Cross students' section, which was immediately to our right, erupted. We were thirty band geeks with no athletic talent, but the Holy Cross fans were excited enough to see our purple and white shirts that they cheered far louder than the Illinois fans did when their team scored a three pointer less than a minute later. There were four schools playing in that stadium that evening, three large state universities, each with at least 15,000 undergraduates, and little Holy Cross, boasting a total student population of just about 2,800. In addition to being the smallest school there, Holy Cross was the one from which fans had to travel the furthest, almost twice as far as our nearest competitor. The Holy Cross seating section, however, was the loudest, most energetic, and the one with the highest percentage of students. Even though the Crusaders did not win the game, the fans were well behaved, and took the loss with respect. Holy Cross showed its best that day. The preparation for the game also showed me the greatness of the college. When I informed my professors that I would be missing several days' worth of classes, they did not worry about the notes or assignments I would miss. Knowing that most Holy Cross students are academically responsible, they were sure I would make up the work in a timely manner. That reaction did not surprise me, but their enthusiasm for the game did. Nothing sums up their excitement better than the math professor who told one of my friends, “I wish I could go. Give 'em hell.” Even alumni got in on the action; one anonymous alumni donated two buses to take the fans from Worcester to Columbus and back. It was a great weekend for the community, even though the team was unable to pull out a win. After the game in Columbus, several band members flew down to Raleigh, North Carolina, to play for the women's game on Sunday. Holy Cross was the lowest seed in that tournament after a series of miraculous upsets in the Patriot League Tournament, and were therefore playing Duke, the highest seed, a team that had lost only one game all season. The Holy Cross women were expected to lose by a great margin, and although they did lose, the team beat the spread, losing by fewer points than expected. The flight back to Worcester the next day was amazing, because we were on a small jet with the team, all of whom had so much energy from knowing they played a good game against a hard opponent the day before. After each game, the band members had a chance to talk with the teams and coaches as they returned to the hotels. Both men's coach Ralph Willard and women's coach Bill Gibbons talked about what great fans the band members were, and how “classy” (Gibbons's word) we were. I know that I will never forget that weekend, and I hope the team does well enough next year to give me and the new students a chance to experience the same thing I did, but I know I will support them even if they do not.

The best thing about Holy Cross is the feeling of community. No matter who are you, you feel like you belong. The students and faculty make you feel at home. The only thing that is not the best is the city, however after being here for 4 years, there are so many great places that we have discovered. Worcester has some of the best restaurants. When people here that I go to HC, they are very impressed. Its a great school, and people acknowledge that. One of the best parts of HC are the alumni connections. People who went here are proud of the school, and will do anything to help fellow crusaders. Even when you leave the school, you are always apart of the community. I spend a lot of time at the student center on campus. It is always busy, and you always run into your friends. Also, the library is a great place to do work. It's beautiful, quiet, and comfortable. The administration here at the school really cares about the well being of the students. If you ever need anything, someone is here to help you. There is a lot of school pride here, especially when it comes to sports. People go crazy at the games, decked out in purple. We are very proud of our basketball team! I like going to a smaller school with good sports teams. You know all the players personally, so cheering them on during the games is so much fun. My absolute favorite part of my college career was my experience abroad. The study abroad program at HC is one of the best. I went to Galway, Ireland, and HC set up my housing, tuition, and an advisor. Our adviser helped us so much. The program was a year long, and although I missed Holy Cross, and my friends, being there a year made me really experience the culture, and made me feel like I really lived there. Other schools only have semester long programs, which cuts off you experience. Everyone I was with abroad that had to go home after one semester from other schools really hated it. I made amazing friends at Holy Cross, and consider them my family.

1. Best things about Holy Cross: -The amazingly friendly and helpful faculty and students -Everyone seems to be so happy all the time -The beautiful campus -The availability and attention of the faculty to meet during office hours -The Counseling Center is the greatest place on campus. 2. One thing I'd change: The close-mindedness of many students; the low diversity (and the racial boundaries) 3. My school is just the right size. 4. When I first started telling people from my hometown that I was going to Holy Cross, most of them did not know where it was or have never heard of it (despite having lived only 50 minutes away!). If they have heard of it, most judge it as a not very good school academics-wise. I must admit that I did not know where it was--nor did I believe it to be a good school. I believe this is because my hometown is predominately Jewish and only 2 students from my high school have attended Holy Cross within 4 years. Other people from other towns, however, think very very highly of Holy Cross. 5. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, outside on the grass (during the Spring), or in the library. 6. There are a lot of colleges in Worcester, however Worcester isn't exactly a hot scene for students. 7. I love Holy Cross's administration. They are all so happy, friendly, and helpful. I believe they are the best out there. 8. From what I can remember, the biggest recent controversy concerned abortion. Pro-life groups protested outside the Campus Center. Many arguments have arisen between pro-life and pro-choice students. 9. There is a TON of school pride. Go to a basketball game and you'll see. 10. The only unusual thing about Holy Cross might be the fact that everyone is always smiling. 11. One experience I'll always remember would be the time I met someone who I identified and shared similar views with. 12. Most frequent student complaints: the academics being too hard, the food, the lack of diversity, the tuition, the winters.

Best thing about Holy Cross is we're a school of reputable academic status, we are a Catholic school, and we have many different programs. We're a pretty small school, but that's okay, because you know a lot of people around campus, at Kimball, or Coolbeans. Most people in my hometown don't really know what Holy Cross is, but people up here seem to have a pretty positive outlook on it. I spend most of my time on Fenwick 4, the classics department, because I have no life outside of studying and the shit ton of things I do (see above). And because most of my favorite people here are classics majors (one is sitting behind me with running commentary as I type this). Worcester is hardly a college town, because it's kind of gross, and most of things that are really cool, like the museums and show venues, are kind of far away, and I don't have a car, yet. The administration is pretty helpful, because there aren't enough people on campus for us to get lost in the shuffle, so my dean probably has some sort of an idea of who I am, and my professors are usually on a first-name basis, except for one who habitually calls me Laura Ashley. But I think that he might intentionally be doing that now. The biggest controversy on campus is usually, especially during study period, finding a place to study by yourself. Aside from that, housing is kind of controversial, because no one really is ever happy with what they end up with, unless you're a senior and you're in the apartments. There is school pride, not a ton, but enough. I wouldn't say that there is too much unusal about Holy Cross, aside this fact that this is the only school I visited with a workout plan that accompanies it, because of all the damn stairs we have to climb up. Most of the students complain about work load, but I by no means have found it unbearable.

The school's size is perfect--just under 3,000 students means that you know many people, enough that you recognize most people walking around campus though you probably don't know their names. There's a huge comfort factor in that. Also, the fact that the school is exclusively undergraduate means class sizes are pretty small and access to professors is incredible, especially in the natural sciences. One problem with Holy Cross is that its name recognition doesn't often go far beyond Massachusetts. Although it is certainly highly reputable around the state and some parts of New England, many people outside the region don't know what an academically rigorous school it is. The college's alumni, however, know exactly what a Holy Cross degree means and take care of recent graduates. Holy Cross is an ostensibly Catholic institution. The administration is far too concerned with being politically correct and often restricts Catholic voice and opinion on campus in favor of minorities in order to appear more "inclusive." For example, the Knights of Columbus chapter is prevented from being a recognized student organization because membership is limited to men; however, a sister group exists for women, which also is prevented from being recognized because it doesn't admit men. Despite all this, the school is a Jesuit institution, and the Jesuit order is obviously all-male and all-Catholic.

The best thing about Holy Cross is the people. Obviously your getting a great education, and the teachers are all really nice, but without the kids around you, the experience means nothing. Holy Cross is full of all walks of life, but what seems to be a constant is that they are all good kids who want to succeed, but who also want to meet new people and have fun. The kids here are all great kids. One thing I would change would be the size of the school. I like the small classes and all, but sometimes this school gets a little too small. It's just under 3000 people so you run into the same people all the time and rarely see a new face. It would be nice if there were a few more people up here to meet. I'd say I spend most of my time on campus either in Kimball Dining Hall or in Dinand Library. The dining hall is not so bad, its all you can eat, and they usually have some sort of selection that will fit your fancy. I eat a lot, so its nice to know that I always have a place to appease my rumbling stomach. As for the library, I spend time in there not by choice, but rather out of neccessity. I get more work than you could even imagine, and need a nice quiet place to study, and the library serves that purpose rather well.

Over all, Holy Cross is pretty good. It has some shortcomings, mainly transportation. Holy Cross is not in the best part of Worcester, and getting off campus to someplace that does not involve a mall is hard unless you are the lucky few with cars. But Holy Cross has been trying to improve it lately. The other thing is that the art department is quite small. We are not given as much supplies as we should be given and we often have to use our own money to get supplies to finish projects. Besides that, most things are pretty cool. The people are awesome, and are usually pretty nice. It is really easy to get a sense of community at this school. It is small enough to know people whereever you go, but big enough to have your own group and meet new people when you go out. Besides the good social life, the academics are pretty good too. There are alot of good professors, and they take an interest in the student for the most part. There are no TAs, so that is always good and the professors will always find time to have office hours. Holy Cross, in general, is pretty chill, people do their thing and have fun. We work hard and party hard.

Holy Cross is an excellent school, with an absolutely excellent academic reputation. If you're looking for a school where people will be impressed when you tell them where you go, this is definitely one of those. The location is pretty good - Worcester doesn't really have a whole lot to offer, but there are some popular bars and stuff that can be pretty fun, and Shrewsbury Street is packed with great restaurants, everything from 24-hr diners to expensive classy restaurants. Also Worcester is within an hour from Boston and from Providence. Those are two pretty cool places to go, and HC provides weekend transportation to both.

Holy Cross is a small liberal arts school located in Worcester, MA. People in the New England area most likely have heard of it, but often ask, 'oh yeah, where is that?'. Worcester is not the best of college towns, although it does offer some night life and Holy Cross is a bit isolated from it because we are a gated campus on a hill overlooking the city. Holy Cross is a small school with just under 3,000 students. I often can not leave my dorm without seeing someone I know, which I enjoy. Basketball is definitely the biggest thing on campus, and there is a lot of school spirit here.

the academics are great cause you get the attention that you need from professors. i want more vegetarian food options and there to be more activism on campus, people stating their mind, i like the size of HC cuase i came from a very small private school worcester kinda stinks but there are some great things to do in the city you just have to find them and transportation is really easy with buses to various places each weekend. there is no need to go off campus. the party scene of off campus and in dorms, but if you dont want to you dont have to