College of the Holy Cross Top Questions

Kelly

As someone who was skeptical about going to Holy Cross, I absolutely love it here! There is a great community feel and almost all of the people I have met here are kind and intelligent.

Travis

I love Holy Cross. And most of the students here do, too. It is a place you quickly come to think of as home. My favorite thing about HC is the flexibility you have as a student; the school encourages you to find your passion - whether that be in the classroom, a club, or on the athletic field - and pursue it. You do more than just acquire knowledge, you really learn to grow as a whole person. I love the size - it's small enough that you get individual attention from professors and large enough to always meet new friends. I enjoy walking around campus and always seeing someone you know. I spend a lot of time in the library because we always have a lot of work! That's part of the reputation here, if you tell people you go to Holy Cross they usually raise their eyebrows and say 'O, that's a good school.' The Jesuits definitely keep us busy. Worcester is a great city for college students, too. It sometimes gets a bad rap but there are tons of other colleges and universities in the city and lots of great restaurants and bars around campus. Boston is not far away, either. The school administration is very receptive to feedback and Student Representatives sit on nearly every important administrative committee. I will always remember my first Spring Weekend at Holy Cross; after a long winter, all the students came out onto the green lawns and socialized together. It was a perfect representation of the sense of community and camaraderie that you can expect to find at Holy Cross.

Andre

What's the best thing about Holy Cross? 1)The MANY resources and opportunities presented to foster one's growth and development. 2)Faculty and staff who generally care for students 3)Feeling of connectedness to be a crusader in spite of noticeable segregation in race and class. 4)The gorgeous campus!!! 5)Generous financial aid Most frequent complaints? 1)Grade deflation by professors in order to "increase the prestige and difficulty of the school" 2)Worcester is not the ideal college town 3)Rumors can be very easily spread due to small student body (around 2,800 students) 4)Can get tired of seeing the same people everyday(particularly, those who one does not wish to see) 5)Campus food is not amazing (but it's definitely better than most)

Alex

I think if you love that your professors know your name then this is a place for you. If you're really into gettng the top notch education then again this is a place for you. If you're not a decedant of Albert Einstein himself then there isnt really any room for slacking unless you like being disappointed in your grades. If you want to be around freakishly friendly people...the kind who always wait like 5 min holding the door for you...then this is the place for you. School pride at games is huge...you'll be proud to rock the purple and yell out at the rivals and opponents at esp at both american and european football. The college town in my opinion sucks ass...but there is always boston just an our away and aslo Rhode Island...the thing i would change about Holy Cross is people's ability to have more of an open mind about culture and different people in general...and erase their fear and hesitation to talk to other people who are not the same as them in any way...and well if you like what you hear maybe you can perhaps start the new trend this coming year.

Michelle

I really like the size of Holy Cross. I feel that it is large enough that I don't know everyone on campus but that is small enough that I am not lost in the crowd. I see friendly faces on my walk to class and people I have probably never seen before. It is a good mix. One of the reasons I came here was because of the size: I wanted to be a 'big fish' in a 'little pond' not a 'small fish' in a 'big pond'.

Molly

Holy Cross has a great community feel to it. I love the size of the school, although some people may feel that it is too small. I like seeing people I know on the way to class. Although our college is in a city, it is a closed campus, so you're not walking on a city street to get to class. The campus is beautiful, it actually stands in very stark contrast to the surrounding city. Because of the size, it won't take you more than 10 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other, which is really nice when you're late for class! Worcester is not the best city, although it has its nice parts that do have some things to offer. The part of the city where the campus is located is not a nice section, but there are shuttles and buses that can take you to area malls and restaurants. Most students find things to do on campus on the weekends.

John

Over all, Holy Cross is pretty good. It has some shortcomings, mainly transportation. Holy Cross is not in the best part of Worcester, and getting off campus to someplace that does not involve a mall is hard unless you are the lucky few with cars. But Holy Cross has been trying to improve it lately. The other thing is that the art department is quite small. We are not given as much supplies as we should be given and we often have to use our own money to get supplies to finish projects. Besides that, most things are pretty cool. The people are awesome, and are usually pretty nice. It is really easy to get a sense of community at this school. It is small enough to know people whereever you go, but big enough to have your own group and meet new people when you go out. Besides the good social life, the academics are pretty good too. There are alot of good professors, and they take an interest in the student for the most part. There are no TAs, so that is always good and the professors will always find time to have office hours. Holy Cross, in general, is pretty chill, people do their thing and have fun. We work hard and party hard.

Erin

The best thing about Holy Cross is the supportive environment. There is pressure to do well in your classes of course, but students are not cut throat or overly competetive. People are always willing to help out classmates. Another great thing is that, sure there are different groups of friends, but there are no cliques. Everyone knows everyone else, either driectly or through someone, and at Coolbeans and off campus it feels like everyone is friends. I like that community/family type feeling.

The best thing about Holy Cross is the people who make up the school. The students there are strong minded, but also open minded. For the most part, they will stand up for their own opinions but will also listen to yours. I know it sounds cliche, but the professors really do want you to succeed. I have had some of the most interesting, understanding, helpful, and FUN professors this year. The fact that Holy Cross is built on a mountain takes some getting used to. But that hiking up and down is totally worth it, I promise!!! I actually LOST weight when I went to school, and since I've been home for the summer I've gained some. The mountain makes the school unique, though. Holy Cross definitely would not be the same if I didn't have to climb hundreds of stairs to get from class to my room.

Holy cross is a tight knit community, at larger schools you never see the same person twice in a crowd, but you run into people you have met all the time which allows you to build closer relationships with those people, the campus is set away from the city of worcester and is its own community. Worcester really isn't a huge part of the school, the city itself is not the safest but the campus security is phenomenal. The food in the dining hall is only OKAY definitely not amazing, but there are always other options which is nice. The most recent controversy at our school was having a woman from an organization come and speak about abortion on campus to speak with students, because although holy cross doesn't force catholicism on you, its foundation IS catholicism and advertising abortion was a very big deal, there were protests and everything.

Many people complain about Holy Cross being built on a (small) mountain (Mt. St. James), it is a beautiful campus and eventually you get used to walking a million stairs a day; not to mention if you are one of those few people that are overweight it is a great place to loose weight just going through your daily rutine. Though we are a tiny college I feel like it is the perfect size. You may see some of the same people everyday while meeting new people all the time. If I could change one thing it'd probably be the area surrounding the school. It is not a bad area per say, it is actually on the up swing. Despite that, there is really nothing to do/ no place to go within walking distance of the campus. Yet there is plenty to do in other parts of Worcester, that you can get to by car, bus, taxi, or other means of transportation.

Connie

Pretty awesome school. Good education, learn a lot but might not be worth the price tag. Good parties, wish the school was a little bit bigget because by Senior year you know pretty much everyone which has its positives and negatvies. The school loves to gossip. Reminds you of high school. Can be kind of funny because you know what your getting yourself into with a person because you know pretty much everything about them. The town is pretty week. People do not like HC kids. Bar scene is becoming more popular because there are places that are 18+ so the whole school can go. Spring weekend is a great time. Will never forget the things that you remember from your drunken haze.

Chris

I don't like Holy Cross but I love what I did here. The administration is too removed from the needs and wants of the student body. The majority of student still act like they're in High School and most Professors (and especially the administration) don't encourage students to mature and change. The surrounding area is OK, you can make the best of it if you have a car. Overall, for me Holy Cross was sometimes too small and many people I came in contact with were very sheltered. However, the friends I made, the groups I was a part of, and the Professors I had made it worth it. My favorite thing about my Holy Cross education was my year abroad.

Mary

It's the stereotypical college experience - liberal arts classes, traditional campus and mostly resident students.

Quinn

the academics are great cause you get the attention that you need from professors. i want more vegetarian food options and there to be more activism on campus, people stating their mind, i like the size of HC cuase i came from a very small private school worcester kinda stinks but there are some great things to do in the city you just have to find them and transportation is really easy with buses to various places each weekend. there is no need to go off campus. the party scene of off campus and in dorms, but if you dont want to you dont have to

Charlie

Holy Cross is an excellent school, with an absolutely excellent academic reputation. If you're looking for a school where people will be impressed when you tell them where you go, this is definitely one of those. The location is pretty good - Worcester doesn't really have a whole lot to offer, but there are some popular bars and stuff that can be pretty fun, and Shrewsbury Street is packed with great restaurants, everything from 24-hr diners to expensive classy restaurants. Also Worcester is within an hour from Boston and from Providence. Those are two pretty cool places to go, and HC provides weekend transportation to both.

TJ

Whenever I tell people that I go to Holy Cross, they think that I'm really smart and responsible, and they congratulate me. I think HC is fine in every way. It's located in a college town so I have many resources for anything I want to do. The only thing wrong here is that not every desired major is offered. For example, if I wanted to major in Neuroscience, I would have to create the major, which is possible here, or do a Biopsychology concentration, which is very hard to try getting into because of its competitiveness.

Abby

If I could change one thing about Holy Cross, it'd be location. I love being on top of a hill, but not a Worcester hill. Worcester is very hard to navigate and is not a very exciting city.

Best thing about Holy Cross is we're a school of reputable academic status, we are a Catholic school, and we have many different programs. We're a pretty small school, but that's okay, because you know a lot of people around campus, at Kimball, or Coolbeans. Most people in my hometown don't really know what Holy Cross is, but people up here seem to have a pretty positive outlook on it. I spend most of my time on Fenwick 4, the classics department, because I have no life outside of studying and the shit ton of things I do (see above). And because most of my favorite people here are classics majors (one is sitting behind me with running commentary as I type this). Worcester is hardly a college town, because it's kind of gross, and most of things that are really cool, like the museums and show venues, are kind of far away, and I don't have a car, yet. The administration is pretty helpful, because there aren't enough people on campus for us to get lost in the shuffle, so my dean probably has some sort of an idea of who I am, and my professors are usually on a first-name basis, except for one who habitually calls me Laura Ashley. But I think that he might intentionally be doing that now. The biggest controversy on campus is usually, especially during study period, finding a place to study by yourself. Aside from that, housing is kind of controversial, because no one really is ever happy with what they end up with, unless you're a senior and you're in the apartments. There is school pride, not a ton, but enough. I wouldn't say that there is too much unusal about Holy Cross, aside this fact that this is the only school I visited with a workout plan that accompanies it, because of all the damn stairs we have to climb up. Most of the students complain about work load, but I by no means have found it unbearable.

Jordan

1. Best things about Holy Cross: -The amazingly friendly and helpful faculty and students -Everyone seems to be so happy all the time -The beautiful campus -The availability and attention of the faculty to meet during office hours -The Counseling Center is the greatest place on campus. 2. One thing I'd change: The close-mindedness of many students; the low diversity (and the racial boundaries) 3. My school is just the right size. 4. When I first started telling people from my hometown that I was going to Holy Cross, most of them did not know where it was or have never heard of it (despite having lived only 50 minutes away!). If they have heard of it, most judge it as a not very good school academics-wise. I must admit that I did not know where it was--nor did I believe it to be a good school. I believe this is because my hometown is predominately Jewish and only 2 students from my high school have attended Holy Cross within 4 years. Other people from other towns, however, think very very highly of Holy Cross. 5. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, outside on the grass (during the Spring), or in the library. 6. There are a lot of colleges in Worcester, however Worcester isn't exactly a hot scene for students. 7. I love Holy Cross's administration. They are all so happy, friendly, and helpful. I believe they are the best out there. 8. From what I can remember, the biggest recent controversy concerned abortion. Pro-life groups protested outside the Campus Center. Many arguments have arisen between pro-life and pro-choice students. 9. There is a TON of school pride. Go to a basketball game and you'll see. 10. The only unusual thing about Holy Cross might be the fact that everyone is always smiling. 11. One experience I'll always remember would be the time I met someone who I identified and shared similar views with. 12. Most frequent student complaints: the academics being too hard, the food, the lack of diversity, the tuition, the winters.

Jamie

Holy Cross is a small school, and Worcester leaves a lot to be desired. A lot. That said, there is plenty of fun to be had on campus and I love going to school here. The academics are very strong, the people (once you find your friends) are great, and it's a beautiful campus to live on (warning: it's freezing 4-6 months out of the school year - bring boots and coats!).

Tate

school is a great size. small community where almost every teacher will do everything they can to help you. Caring environment.

Eric

Holy Cross is a college that will make you successful. The buildings and athletic facilities make the campus one of the most beautiful in the country. The campus sits atop Mt. St. James, and overlooks the city of Worcester, where there are plenty of things you can find to do. The location is great, as it is a gated campus, separated from the outside world. But it is right next to a major city, allowing you to instantly find things to do. The size of the college is around 3,000 students. This allows for a close community atmosphere. The size of the campus is perfect: not too big where you will be lost in the shuffle, but not too small where you see all the same people every day. The class sizes are small, averaging less than 15 students per class. The faculty are always helpful, as they are always there for one in need. The school pride is second to none, as the athletic facilities get packed for any varsity game.

KC

From a job application essay I wrote recently about school spirit: The most memorable experience of my Holy Cross career was accompanying the basketball teams to both NCAA Tournaments in 2007. As a member of the pep band, the NCAA flew me to Columbus, Ohio, to help cheer on the men's basketball team in the middle of last March. The trip was unbelievable. I was able to go for free to one of the biggest sporting events in the country where I had a courtside seat, and I had a chance to spend a weekend with my friends away from schoolwork. The best part of the weekend, and a memory I am sure will stay with me for ever, happened just before the game: the band walked into the packed stadium through the team entrance, and the Holy Cross students' section, which was immediately to our right, erupted. We were thirty band geeks with no athletic talent, but the Holy Cross fans were excited enough to see our purple and white shirts that they cheered far louder than the Illinois fans did when their team scored a three pointer less than a minute later. There were four schools playing in that stadium that evening, three large state universities, each with at least 15,000 undergraduates, and little Holy Cross, boasting a total student population of just about 2,800. In addition to being the smallest school there, Holy Cross was the one from which fans had to travel the furthest, almost twice as far as our nearest competitor. The Holy Cross seating section, however, was the loudest, most energetic, and the one with the highest percentage of students. Even though the Crusaders did not win the game, the fans were well behaved, and took the loss with respect. Holy Cross showed its best that day. The preparation for the game also showed me the greatness of the college. When I informed my professors that I would be missing several days' worth of classes, they did not worry about the notes or assignments I would miss. Knowing that most Holy Cross students are academically responsible, they were sure I would make up the work in a timely manner. That reaction did not surprise me, but their enthusiasm for the game did. Nothing sums up their excitement better than the math professor who told one of my friends, “I wish I could go. Give 'em hell.” Even alumni got in on the action; one anonymous alumni donated two buses to take the fans from Worcester to Columbus and back. It was a great weekend for the community, even though the team was unable to pull out a win. After the game in Columbus, several band members flew down to Raleigh, North Carolina, to play for the women's game on Sunday. Holy Cross was the lowest seed in that tournament after a series of miraculous upsets in the Patriot League Tournament, and were therefore playing Duke, the highest seed, a team that had lost only one game all season. The Holy Cross women were expected to lose by a great margin, and although they did lose, the team beat the spread, losing by fewer points than expected. The flight back to Worcester the next day was amazing, because we were on a small jet with the team, all of whom had so much energy from knowing they played a good game against a hard opponent the day before. After each game, the band members had a chance to talk with the teams and coaches as they returned to the hotels. Both men's coach Ralph Willard and women's coach Bill Gibbons talked about what great fans the band members were, and how “classy” (Gibbons's word) we were. I know that I will never forget that weekend, and I hope the team does well enough next year to give me and the new students a chance to experience the same thing I did, but I know I will support them even if they do not.

Kim

I love Holy Cross so much. There is tons of school pride, everyone loves the Saders. You never feel lost or alone because you always recognize a friendly face. We are all very driven, but love to have fun, as well. A large amount of our population volunteers, which I think creates a great atmosphere on campus. Holy Cross has an excellent reputation across the country, and there is a certain level of prestige in attending such a school. The professors are very willing to help their students and we don't have many, if any TA's on campus.

Michelle

Holy Cross is amazing! The best thing about it is the sense of community. People hold doors for each other, and they smile as you walk by. It's small things like this that matter. I've known all the girls on my floor every year, and I've gotten to know a lot of the people in my building. It's the perfect size- not too small, not too big. There's always a sporting event to go to, student concerts, the Tuesday night 10 spot, hanging out in friends' rooms, or playing frisbee on a nice day.

Matthew

The best thing about Holy Cross is the people. Obviously your getting a great education, and the teachers are all really nice, but without the kids around you, the experience means nothing. Holy Cross is full of all walks of life, but what seems to be a constant is that they are all good kids who want to succeed, but who also want to meet new people and have fun. The kids here are all great kids. One thing I would change would be the size of the school. I like the small classes and all, but sometimes this school gets a little too small. It's just under 3000 people so you run into the same people all the time and rarely see a new face. It would be nice if there were a few more people up here to meet. I'd say I spend most of my time on campus either in Kimball Dining Hall or in Dinand Library. The dining hall is not so bad, its all you can eat, and they usually have some sort of selection that will fit your fancy. I eat a lot, so its nice to know that I always have a place to appease my rumbling stomach. As for the library, I spend time in there not by choice, but rather out of neccessity. I get more work than you could even imagine, and need a nice quiet place to study, and the library serves that purpose rather well.

Kristin

There are many reasons why I chose Holy Cross. The size and location were some of the most important qualities that I looked for in a school. We are only one hour outside of Boston and a little over an hour away from Providence. There are a lot of activities in Worcester and in the general area. Most importantly the school has many activities on campus during the weekends, such as well-known comedians, up and coming musicians and our ever famous spring weekend with a spring concert by a very well known performer. Unfortunately, when I first tell people I go to Holy Cross many people from New York either do not know of the school or joke that it is a school for men and women to become priests. Being that the school is small and in Massachusetts not that many people know about the college that well. However, those that know of smaller, higher academic institutions know of the college and always begin speaking of how academically difficult the school is.

Maureen

One thing I love about Holy Cross is it's size. The campus is small enough so that when I'm walking to class I don't feel like a foreigner - I am always seeing people I know. It is also not so small that you feel like you are still in high school, or being suffocated. Holy Cross is like a mini community and everyone is very friendly.

Nora

The Holy Cross mission statement is "men and women for others" and I think Holy Cross really educates a student to do just that. We are given countless opportunities to volunteer and many of the students do through the Chaplain's office or with the program called SPUD. A good portion of the school takes part in the Appalachia program of spending a spring break week in impoverished parts of the country to try and give back to that community and spread hope. I'm only a Sophomore and I already have a different outlook on the world, I think the school does a great job of educating all of us about many aspects in the classroom and then challenges us to explore in the real world as well.

Jamie

Holy Cross has one of the best campus' I've seen. There is a strong sense of student body and HC does their job to get people involved. Since it is a small school you really get to know your teachers and peers. I like the size of the school because it's really nice to walk around and always see familiar faces (which you don't get when you go to a huge university). There is not a lot of diversity and I think Holy Cross actually initiates segregation rather than diminish it (they have an orientation just for minorities and then a separate orientation for "everyone else" - they should just have one orientation for everyone since most students join together in these first few weeks of school). I find that most people find a real sense of belonging here since it is a small school.

Erin

The best thing about Holy Cross is the feeling of community. No matter who are you, you feel like you belong. The students and faculty make you feel at home. The only thing that is not the best is the city, however after being here for 4 years, there are so many great places that we have discovered. Worcester has some of the best restaurants. When people here that I go to HC, they are very impressed. Its a great school, and people acknowledge that. One of the best parts of HC are the alumni connections. People who went here are proud of the school, and will do anything to help fellow crusaders. Even when you leave the school, you are always apart of the community. I spend a lot of time at the student center on campus. It is always busy, and you always run into your friends. Also, the library is a great place to do work. It's beautiful, quiet, and comfortable. The administration here at the school really cares about the well being of the students. If you ever need anything, someone is here to help you. There is a lot of school pride here, especially when it comes to sports. People go crazy at the games, decked out in purple. We are very proud of our basketball team! I like going to a smaller school with good sports teams. You know all the players personally, so cheering them on during the games is so much fun. My absolute favorite part of my college career was my experience abroad. The study abroad program at HC is one of the best. I went to Galway, Ireland, and HC set up my housing, tuition, and an advisor. Our adviser helped us so much. The program was a year long, and although I missed Holy Cross, and my friends, being there a year made me really experience the culture, and made me feel like I really lived there. Other schools only have semester long programs, which cuts off you experience. Everyone I was with abroad that had to go home after one semester from other schools really hated it. I made amazing friends at Holy Cross, and consider them my family.

Parker

Holy Cross is really the perfect size. Even in my biggest science classes, my professors know my name. You see familiar faces on campus, but there are always new people around campus. There isn't too much in Worcester, but there are some AWESOME restaurants nearby. Plus, Boston is really accessible. It's a lot of work, but the weekends make up for it. Everyone is truly nice and always willing to help. Just watch how long someone will hold the door for you- its amazing. The administration is great and always looking for more student input. They always make sure to celebrate holidays or cmpus events at every opportunity.

Lily

The best thing about Holy Cross is the feeling of community that constantly surrounds you. Holy Cross is the perfect size, not small enough that you get bored, but not to big that you become overwhelmed. It is easy to learn everyone's name, but not so easy to know everyone's business. People know Holy Cross to be an academically rigorous school- and this is true. Holy Cross has one of the hardest work loads in the country and you should take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to come here. That being said, if you do decide to come here, you will get one of the best possible educations. Everyone who comes to Holy Cross is has school pride, in fact, one of the most common lines you will hear during freshmen orientation is that, by the time you graduate you will be "bleeding purple!"

Justin

if I could change one thing it mgiht be to have better housing. there is a lack of a college town

David

I enjoy that the campus is pretty. Worcester is okay

I really love the classes that are offered at Holy Cross and the majority of professors that I have encountered have been very interesting and informative. I think that in general Holy Cross is a little too small. I went to a very small high school and I thought that Holy Cross would be different because it was significantly larger than my high school but it still seems very small. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm room, and I frequently go off of campus into the city of Boston.

I love it here, but that's cause its an environment conducive to working really hard and playing even harder. if you can't keep up, you'll be lost academically and socially.

Jeffrey

The school's size is perfect--just under 3,000 students means that you know many people, enough that you recognize most people walking around campus though you probably don't know their names. There's a huge comfort factor in that. Also, the fact that the school is exclusively undergraduate means class sizes are pretty small and access to professors is incredible, especially in the natural sciences. One problem with Holy Cross is that its name recognition doesn't often go far beyond Massachusetts. Although it is certainly highly reputable around the state and some parts of New England, many people outside the region don't know what an academically rigorous school it is. The college's alumni, however, know exactly what a Holy Cross degree means and take care of recent graduates. Holy Cross is an ostensibly Catholic institution. The administration is far too concerned with being politically correct and often restricts Catholic voice and opinion on campus in favor of minorities in order to appear more "inclusive." For example, the Knights of Columbus chapter is prevented from being a recognized student organization because membership is limited to men; however, a sister group exists for women, which also is prevented from being recognized because it doesn't admit men. Despite all this, the school is a Jesuit institution, and the Jesuit order is obviously all-male and all-Catholic.

Charlotte

Holy Cross is a small liberal arts school located in Worcester, MA. People in the New England area most likely have heard of it, but often ask, 'oh yeah, where is that?'. Worcester is not the best of college towns, although it does offer some night life and Holy Cross is a bit isolated from it because we are a gated campus on a hill overlooking the city. Holy Cross is a small school with just under 3,000 students. I often can not leave my dorm without seeing someone I know, which I enjoy. Basketball is definitely the biggest thing on campus, and there is a lot of school spirit here.

PURPLE PRIDE / SADER NATION!!! Worcester = not so hot, but what can you do? Providence is half an hour away, as is Boston. Shrewsbury street is ideal for when parents or visitors are in town. The vibe on campus is incredibly upbeat and friendly, you never walk into a building without the person before you holding the door open, and turning around yourself to hold the door open for the person behind you. When you pass a familiar face or a completely new one in the hallway you smile. You may have just failed your philosophy quiz, but you're still going to say hi.

Casey

I am absolutely in love with Holy Cross. I enjoy the Jesuit teachings and am inspired by "men and women for others." The students are smart, classy, nice, and a majority, have good heads on their shoulders. I feel as if I know everyone, but I meet someone new every day. For the most part, my professors have been brilliant and easy to talk to--I often have coffee with them and have gone to dinner at their homes. As an added bonus, the campus is gorgeous.

Tara

Best thing about Holy Cross: THe students! Everyone here is so friendly and outgoing, it's easy to feel a part of any social group... there are no real "cliques" and you can easily walk into any party, club or dorm and feel totally welcome. One thing I'd change: The Gym... it needs to be a LOT bigger. School size: I'd say it's just the right size. Small enough for small classes (no classes over 50) but large enough to pack the basketball stadium. How do people react?: Generally, impressed... it's a competitive school to be accepted into, and it has a reputation for excellent. Time on Campus: Most time on campus is spent in the dorms... people leave their doors open and come by to hang out, watch the game on tv, chat about the comedian in the campus center last night, etc. College town: Worcester is a huge city (2nd largest in New England), but unlike Boston it's not the most beautiful city around and it's not necessary easy to find what you're looking for. But if you're willing to look hard enough, it provides so many opportunities for culture, dining, volunteer work, internships, etc. HC Administration: They really care about what students think; student reps are on virtually every Administrative Committee on campus (they have a say in which professors get tenured, on campus construction, etc.) School pride: Also known as purple pride -- yes there is a lot and it's contagious!