Collin County Community College District

« See more reviews of Collin County Community College District

Dear High School Self as a Senior, Work your butt off. I know senior year will be somewhat uneventful due to completing most of your schooling already, but invest in what you want for the future. Take a look at some more foreign languages, you will thank yourself. Also, study math more. You will need it to complete your degree and do not let anyone tell you that you are stupid because you have trouble understanding it. You are a smart, strong young adult. And you have the whole world waiting for you once you start college. You will take off a semester before you start. That was probably the best thing you could have done. And take a job and work during that period. It will foster your fire to learn, showing you that you do not just want to be stuck filing papers all day. Be something, help people, and take time for yourself: these are some of the most important things you can do when you transition. Sincerely, Catherine (Age 21, Sophomore)

Living by your grandparent's rules are worth free room and board. Their support is a blessing and they love you more than you can imagine. The free food tastes great and will always beat ramen. Working nights to pay for school tuition and books is a smart choice for you. It fits your schedule and natural rhythm. Starting college the fall after graduation is also an excellent idea. A college degree is what you always wanted. Trials and tribulations will come. If you do not have one you will regret it. Do not stop even if you think it is for the right reasons. It takes a long time to get back to school. College is easier when you are 20 years old and single than when you are 40 years old and married with five children. Follow your dreams of helping children. Register as soon as you can, meet with an advisor, set up a plan and follow it. Your family loves you and you have all of the support you need to be successful.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior I would tell my self to work harder that college is not the easiest thing in the world. I would not only push my self on grades but I would also push my self to join more groups and clubs to interact more with others. Although I say I would push my self to work hard but I would also tell myself to have fun because as soon as you step into your first classroom its like your proffesers never want you to have fun. Also another very important thing that has really hit me since I started college is that when my sister told me that she wished she could go back to high school she was'nt kidding. I would die if I could go back in time and slap my self everytime I said "I can't wait to graduate". Although going to a communtiy college may be diffrent then a university their has still been a change where I wish I could go back to being a high school senior and freeze time.

College opens people up to all kinds of new things, but at some point they need to evaluate what is good and what is bad. Luckily it only took me a semester to start to grow up. Though I know I was young when I got a good work ethic; I would have liked the knowledge in high school. Since I have been on my own I have realized how expensive everything is, and though I consider myself financially savvy, I can not imagine paying all the bills my mom had to pay throughout my life. Knowing how much everything is makes me want to work hard and study even harder, because I don't only want to make money now, but in the future. If I could go back and tell my high school self anything I would say stop being so lazy and study, you have great potential, and be nicer to your mom! High school was only a year ago for me, but those life lessons are so valuable that the sooner they are learned the better.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself in high school as a senior i would have tell myself not to be so lazy. Dont take the easy classes but to take some challanging class. I would also have to say learn good study habbits, because you do have to do alot of studing in college. At my high school you had a choice to attend some college classes for high school and college credit, i would tell my self to get into those college classes and get them all done. I would also tell myself to go and get a job to start saving up for school,it doesnt matter what kind of job just somthing to start off . I would tell myself to TAKE THE ACT NOW,don't wait , you know the information now in 1 year ,you will have forgotten everything, and would be a big stress in your life, to have to re-learn every. I believe that all of my advice to myself comes down to being lazy, just dont be lazy.

I would probably tell myself what major I should go for in the beginning of Freshman college so I would not have to had change it so much. I also would have told myself that it's important to pay attention to when homework is due. In high-school teachers would always remind the class the day before something was due, but I've barely ever had a college preofessor that has. Your expected to be much more on top of things and forgetting just isn't an acceptable excuse (even though it's a big transition from High-school to College and you're not used to your environment, your profesors or your work load). I believe that knowing I was going to have to structure my own study time around life, and remember when exactly everything was due would have been very helpful. I probably would have been able to stay more on top of things and would have been able to get better grades.

I would tell my self to prepare more. In my senior year, I had what many refered to as "senioritis". I was just eager to get out of high school and go tackle the college life. I had seen college as just a great big party with a couple of classes here and there, but of course this happened only in movies. I thought I had it all figured out , but I did not. After two years in college, I see that it is not a walk in the park and the transition is not easy at all. I never anticipated the long nights studying or the coTuntless amounts of research papers that had to be done. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to get serious and prepare prepare prepare!!. I would advise myself to get off facebook and face your books. My college experience hasnt been perfect and I have no one to blame but myself. It is only through the grace of God that I continue moving on.

If I was given the opportunity to go back in time and give myself advice as a high school senior, I would start by telling myself to get involved in more senior activities. Although, I have some great senior memories there were a few activities that I chose to skip out on, that looking back, I wish I had taken the time to be apart of. Secondly, I would advise myself to stay strong in school through the very end of my senior year. I made good grades but I admit that I did slack off towards the end simply because I was so ready to be done. Finally, I would tell myself to be more open to meeting new people my first semester of college. I am a very outgoing person but the first part of my first semester I didn't take the time to get to know my classmates as well as I should have. College is very different from high school, and so far has been a complete blast!

I would make sure i know the importance of really deciding and keeping an open mind to what i would want to major in. i would really make it clear to myself on how important it would be to develop the test taking and studying skills that are often over looked in high school that are needed to really be successful in college. Coming into college without them, makes adjusting to the colllege work ethnic and lifestyle very hard for people like me. Lastly, i would recommend learning how to establish priorities in my academic career. Making school my top prioriety then work and a social life, that is the order to have a successful time in college for myself and they are things i wish i would have known and understood before taking the step from senior to freshman. these things would have helped me start off on the right foot towards success

Hey Jade, i'm coming back in time to tell you the things I know and learned, so LISTEN UP. You know your family doesn't have the background of college, make sure you have a plan. First, make sure you work hard on getting scholarships; you never know what you can win. There are so many different websites, just look hard. Second, think about loans. Some people say don't get loans, but it's all about discreation, don't over do it; responsiblity is key. Thirdly, finishing your core classes and transfering the credits are way cheaper, just make sure you know which credits you need. You don't want to waste time or money, time is of the essence. Also, make sure you know what school you are transfering to. Visits help a ton. Lastly, Make sure you gather all information on the schools you go to. (i.e. cost, dorms etc.)