Collin County Community College District

« See more reviews of Collin County Community College District

I wish I'd known how to teach myself more. Some professors are always available for tutoring, some are never available. Some professors clearly outline their expectations and what you need to learn, others are vague. Some professors are lenient, others are very strict. Interestingly enough the ones that fall into at least one of the latter categories fall into the latter categories of the rest. It can be difficult but if you look for teachers that are more available then you can at least get enought of an idea of the course to pass.

College is very similar to high school when it comes to the classroom environment, but that is where the similarities end. The feeling of independence and the ability to do whatever, whenever is soon replaced by the urge to grow up and start making a place for yourself in the world. If I went back to my high school self I would tell myself not to be so lazy, and get stuff done. I was always able to make A's without studying, but I believe if I studied I could have had a 4.0.

Because of human nature, we always wish to go back and change things in our past and do it all over again and do it better because now we know better! I definitely wish I had known some things before the first day of college. For instance I wish I had my AP scores transferred as soon as I joined college, but instead I waited and ended up doing it after the deadline for adding classes therefore I have to wait till next semester to take English 2.

I wish in high school that I would have seen the importance of following my public education with a college education. I wish I would have known how easy it is to acclimate to a community college and to not be intimidated by the thought of college as the unknown. I wish I would have seen my highschool educators, not as the enemy, but as an ally. I wish I would have forseen that most professors are also on my side, and not to be feared.

Knowing more about the services provided would have been helpful. There are many useful services available if you know where to look. I am starting my fourth semester and still finding out about new services. In addition to the advising, there is counseling, career services, tutoring and writing centers, and even dental cleanings. There are so many opportunities available. I wish I would have known about them sooner.

Nine years ago I wish I would have known to not give up and to continue my education no matter what or how long it took. I gave up after a short while because I was unable to afford school on my own behalf. As well, I wish I had been informed about possible grants and scholarships like this one. Lastly, I wish I had known that there were great two year degree programs with affordable community school options.

That, even though it seemed very intimidating, college courses and the entire experience of college life is not as daunting or frightening as it appears. Even though Collin County has three campuses, the atmosphere on each campus is very relaxing, and the professors and other staff help make the transition easy.

I wish I had a better understanding in high school of how AP classes worked so that I could have taken those only in high school instead of in both high school and college. I also wish I would have had a better understanding of options for getting textbooks at a better price but still good quality.

I was homeschooled growing up and thus terrified of college when I enrolled. I only wish I had known that it would be the best experience I would ever have, that I would meet amazing people who would help me find my voice and my calling in life, and that I didn't need to be afraid of it.

I wish I would have known how fun it was. I was against the idea of going to a community college at first but after sometime I realized it was the best decision I had made. Not only did I pick a great school but also I had caring teachers who made learning exciting and Fun.