Colorado College Top Questions

Nila

I would tell myself to relax. I was so stressed out about finding the absolute perfect college, but now I know that a perfect college does not exist. I love my school, but I wish I could've told myself that there are good days and bad days everywhere you go. I would have wanted to tell myself that no matter where I attend college, I will make friends, have fun, learn a ton, and grow. The most important aspect of college is growth, and no matter where I would have ended up, I will grow. As a high school senior, I was preoccupied with grades, admissions, extra-curriculars, and resume-building. I wish I could have told myself to slow down, enjoy life, and live in the moment. Senior year is such as exciting time, and if I could give my high school senior self any advice, I would want to tell myself to slow down, take a breather, and trust myself to do what is right.

If I could go back and talk to my young high school self, I would tell myself not to worry. The best part about college has been letting go, trying new things, and fully immersing myself in things I never thought I would like. Trying new things at college has allowed me to meet life-long friends, and has even allowed me to find the carrer of my dreams! As someone who naturally worries, it would be helpful for my younger self to hear that it is okay to relax and let things happen. Part of making the transition to college has been learning to let things happen and to enjoy the process instead of trying to skip ahead to the end. This is valuable advice that I wish I could give to all high school seniors. Instead of worry about what is coming, just relax and enjoy the ride. You never know who you might meet or what you might discover about yourself in the process. And that is what college is all about!

rayelyn

Knowing what I know now, what would I tell a high school senior? I would tell them to enjoy their 1 hour homework, and short amount of study hours. When you enter college you realize it has a lot different expectations than highschool. You are required to study for more than 3 hours plus for each class you are in. If you are a full time students that is 12 hours a week you are spending on homework and studying. Another thing I would tell a high school senior is, college is also different in a good way, you are allowed to make your own schedule, and choose your own teachers, where in high school you are told when and where you have to be. College is also a lot more laid back. Lastly, I would tell them, enjoy your senior year, it's loaded with fun and exciting things you will rememeber forever!

Porschae

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school senior self that I am perfect just the way I am. Just because I am going to a new place, does not mean that I should change who I am to fit what others want me to be. Only change if you think it is best for yourself and not for others. I would also tell myself to try out for anything and everything that seems exciting, it will be scary at first, but you'll be glad that you at least tried. Don't take life so seriously, college is not about stressing over every little thing. Take some time to breathe and have fun, and never ever stop believing in yourself because it's hard to recover who you are, so don't lose yourself. Lastly, I would tell her that I love her.

I love Colorado College, so none of my advice would concern my decision on where to go to school, rather what to expect and brace yourself for when you first arrive. I would say one of the most important things is to meet as many people and hang out with different groups of people in the beginning of the year, before groups solidify. Make an effort because everyone is in the same scenario and wants to meet new people. If you don't feel you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, then you should try harder. Another important piece of advice is to get involved as soon as possible. I had a hard time in the beginning of the year, feeling as though I didn't have much of an importance, but once I started joining clubs and playing a club sport, I quickly felt a part of the school community and met more people who have similar interests as I do. Lastly, take advantage of everything your school has to offer, as there are many great opportunities available. You only have four years in college, so really make the most of it while you are there.

amanda

I would advise myself to take advantage of more campus programs. I would have attempted to be more invovled in campus life.

Dustin

Given the chance to advise my past self, the most important thing that comes to mind would be to be less afraid to live independently. Spending time abroad, as Colorado College has afforded me the opportunity to do, has really opened up the realms of "common sense" in ways that high school AP classes never did. Try cooking something--worst that can happen is you have to buy new butter! Talk to people freely, and refuse to let yourself be hindered by the same social anxiety that almost all of the people around you are feeling. Most of all, even though it's terrifying and not every painting is a Mona Lisa (so to speak), create as much as you can. You can passively consume and fill up your time quite successfully, but nothing in this world feels as good as having something you created yourself and know that you can be proud of. Write beyond the guidelines! You've only got yourself to gain.

I have learned a lot of facts in my college classes that even if I still remember them now, I’ll probably forget most of it in the next few years. But I've learned something that I'll never forget. I've learned what it means to know who you are and have enough confidence in yourself to go out and get what you want. College has given me a snapshot of what living on your own really means without the concerns of actually being completely self-reliant. But after nearly four years at school, I am aching to get out and try out the skills that I have learned in a real job and the pursuit of a career. College has taught me self-confidence, and most of the time it had nothing to do with class work. After completing an internship in my field of interest, ecology, I became aware of what I was passionate about and more importantly how pursue a career in that field. Without having attended college I never would have had the oppurtunity to get this internship and I would be lost without that experience.

I have gotten invaluable knowledge and experience that has prepared me for my job as a research technician. It has also given me a thirst for knowledge which has fueled my desire to seek higher education.

Victor

I am 28 and just got laid off and in search of a career. I am trying to better myself and my future family with a degree that will put me in a successful career. Financial Aid is a concern for the process in order to afford full time enrollment with a college.

I am a fourth year English major and Scandinavian Studies minor. As a result, I spend a lot of my day reading poetry and prose, people's life stories, troubles, genius and woe. Everyday I fall in love, but with little old men in coffee shops reading novels and cute shy girls scribbling notes in scrapbooks over their coffee. Life in a university has taught me - is teaching me - about the infinite quest for knowledge, and how to appreciate and respect that quest for knowledge in other people. Sure, getting a diploma is important to succeed, but that is a minimal concern when I think about how much I am learning about myself and the world around me. At UCLA, I've learned how to grow up, how to embrace passion and be utterly taken away with a perfect sentence or prose that flows like a saxophone. College has taught me how to appreciate the beauty in humanity, and above all, I've realized that I have a duty to do good in the world, and cultivate harmony in the world, as well as my own self-culture.

It goes at a much faster rate then highschool, which I really like. The teachers get to know you on a different level than in highschool as well. Not only are the classes geared towards what I want to learn, but I got to pick them rather than have a set number of classes I need to take in order to graduate that are basic math or english classes. I can now take shakespeare rather then basic english, or a zoology class rather than a biology class. I get to pick my future, and thats what I value most about my experiences so far in attending college.

Porschae

I have just started college and I am learning alot. It is a challenge, but it is causing me to think outside the box and explore areas that I didn't think were important. This experience is life-changing because I am learning more about who I am.

larry

College helped me grow up into a responsible, thinking adult. It opened my mind and my heart to a lot of different possibilities and ways of thinking and feeling. It helped me sharpen my communication skills, and it taught me the value of diligence and hard work.

Since my very first class at Colorado College, my eyes have been opening to the conditions of the world. We, the students, are taught that although we are living in this fun, safe bubble while on campus, we cannot close our hearts and minds to the people and the issues outside of our little utopia. Nearly all of my classes have encouraged me to stay informed about the events happening in my city, my country, and in the world. Although currently I may not be a person of great power and authority making decisions that will affect the lives of many, I must be prepared and well-informed for when my time comes. I choose not to remain a naive child, totally dependent on those around me. I will educate myself and no longer be oblivious to everything that's happening - the medical and scientific discoveries, the political controveries, the countless crimes, the silencing and ignoring of those in need. My college experience has inspired me to become a surgeon who is not only extremely knowledgeable is the medical field but also an intelligent participant in society.

College has been a great place to get to know myself better and to continue the process of discovering what I am passionate about and what I want to do with my life. So far, I have been drawn to the possibilities of non-profit field, working for greater international compassion. My time at college has offered me incredible opportunities for knowledge and experience that will be beneficial to me in international service. Colorado College offers workshops on fundraising and grant writing for non-profits which I have taken eagerly. I have centered my class choices on cultivating for myself a greater understanding of unique cultures and word-views. My hope is to use my college experience to advance my creative problem solving and organizational skills as well as my knowledge of global conflicts and resolution techniques. I also hope to go abroad at least once during my college career to gain further knowledge and appreciation for international work. In college, I have found an environment full of opportunities for learning and experience that will help me reach my goal to cultivate compassion in the international community.

Lylya

I would take more AP classes.

Roxanne

If the high school senior me were to meet my college freshman self, I'm sure all she would want to talk about is how her whole school situation panned out. I would have to tell her that I'm still learning, but I'm doing it in an ideal way. I would tell her that she gets really lucky because she ends up in a place that "fits" her, which isn't something everyone gets on their first try. My advice to her would be not to get discouraged by rejection letters from scholarships. Applying and reapplying and applying again is a necessary process for getting what you need, and not just in college. A lot of people are going to say no before they say yes, but the more you ask, the better your odds are of getting something good. Then I would tell her not to worry about what happens or doesn't happen because in the end it didn't matter how much I stressed over application and admission and rejection. What mattered was the work I had done for the last four years and the people who thought that was worth something.

The best words of advide I could give to myself looking back would be to go to a college that is in a location you know you can be happy in. Although the beach can never be replaced, the mountains in Colorado are a pretty good second. Also, look at the typical person who goes to the school and see if you fit in with those kind of people. Being surrounded by people very different from yourself can make fitting in in a new place difficult. Look at the academic rigor of the institution and see if you fit in with that as well. If a majority of people at the school have the same priorities when it comes to studyinng and doing homework as you do you will most likely succeed. If you make friends quickly and get bored of them quickly, go to a bigger school. If you want a lot of close friends that you will keep forever, go to a smaller school. And most importantly go to a place where you know that you can have fun for four years.

Do not be afraid. People in this world are not as frightening or malicious as you might think. Listen to them. They have things to say that you could not think of yourself. The only way to grow is by listening to others and being patient. That is not to say that being loud is necessarily bad. Sometimes you need to shout. Release. Search for what you love academically. Do not waste your time with things that are purely practical, or your life will fall in shambles sooner than you thought possible. Go to the wilderness often. Like Ansel Adams said, "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied - it speaks in silence to the very core of your being." Never forget the beauty of books. They can transport you, bring you places you could never have dreamed of. People, mountains, books, love.

Kyleen

I would remind myself to stay open to ANY THING! Colorado College was not my first choice but I am so happy here and I now truely believe that I would have been happy at any school I chosen. I have learned that it is up to me to create my own happiness and that I can't rely on the school that I go to or the people I meet; although those things add to my adventures and explorations my happiness ultimately has to come from myself. When I see current high school seniors stressing about which colleges to apply to I want to tell them to take a step back and examine themselves because no matter what school they get into, if they aren't happy with themselves they won't be happy anywhere. Once you truely know yourself and what makes you happy, the college you choose becomes secondary because you can make yourself happy under any circumstances!

I am a transfer student, and for this reason, it is tempting to say that I would tell myself which college to choose in the first place. This would save me a year of unhappiness and I'm sure that I would be the better for it. However, that it somehwat unfair because I did make good friends at my first college. Aside from my spiel on transferring, I would also give myself social and academic advice. I would tell my past self to be mroe outgoing in social situations. I would encourage myself to put myself out there and not to eb afraid of being who I really am. I findhave found that being oneself is the single most important aspect of social conduct. I would also inform myself that I tend to make far too many plans with far too many people because I have trouble saying no. Thus, I would recommend that to myself that I stick to the first plan that I make. Academicallly, I would tell myself not to be afraid to speak up in class. Being shy and sometimes very self-conscious, I run into problems when I allow this to govern my attitude.

Emmanuel

I have always thought that I would attend a close-by public (UC) school, eventually graduate with honors and acquire a moderate-high paying job in something I want to do. Little did I know, I ended up attending a small liberal arts college in Colorado. I chose the total antithesis. For students I cannot stress enough the importance of researching schools beforehand and taking extra-preparations for application essays. Juggling schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and all the high school works with the added stress of college is daunting, but careful planning and diligence will pay off. Students do not be afraid to take risks. Be proactive. Go to orientations, open houses, college events close to home. Travel to out of state schools and do an on-campus interview, while at the same getting a feel for campus life and the general vicinity. Make a check-list of what aspects of a school you're looking for: Academic prestige, social life, etc. When your results come back systematically rate (1-10) each category correspongding to the school and see which school has the top score. Most likely best score=best destination. Parents just be there for your children to facilitate discussion.

Elaine

One thing I wish I would have done while looking for a school is make a list of things I wanted to accomplish while in college. I have sort of assembled one in the past two and a half years, but it would have been very helpful. Take your list of goals and find a school that caters most effectively to you, and once you are there, don't sit around for the first two years waiting to get settled. Start work on your goals right away! One of my goals was to study abroad, and the sooner you start, the more chances you have and the more programs you can try until you find what you really love. Looking for the right college was one of the most stressful experiences of my life, but now I look at where I am and I look back and I don't know what I was so worked up about. You can find your niche anywhere. The selection is daunting, just don't forget there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Take it seriously. When you're visiting a college/university, imagine eating, learning, hanging out, studying, attending class, joining extracurriculars, actually living, at that particular school.

Meredith

1.) Take a chance. I've lived in Southern California my whole life and never dreamed of livving anywhere else until I visited Colorado Springs. Which leads to 2.) Visit the school. You can't fall in love with a website. Meet some students and professors, take a class, and explore the town. Make sure things click. 3.) Put Mom and Dad in the back seat. You may not know what you want to do as a career or even what school to attend, but don't let your parents' idea of who you are overshadow your own. 4.) Don't expect lawn chairs and fireworks. Just because you got into college doesn't mean the hard part's over. Whichever school you choose, college is hard and SHOULD be hard. That's the only way you know you're getting the most out of it. 5.) Make the most of what you've got. Even if you didn't get into your dream school, whichever school you chose will have a niche just for you. I may not have gotten into UCLA, but the film program and community at CC is more prevalent than I ever expected.

none

Attend an accepted student weekend that allows incoming students to stay with current students for a couple of days to experience campus life from their perspective.

Find one that fits you, if not, you'll be regretting it!

Do your research, select an appropriate school, and commit yourself to being happy at this place.

Arica

Take time to do your research & Get involved!!

To find the right college, there is only one true way. You must either know, or meet someone who is an uperclassman or recently graduated student. The administration simply cares about doing anything to get you to their school. The faculty just want to keep their jobs. It is the students that know the real deal, the students that aren't afraid to tell, the students whose lives are completey determined by the rules the administration creates, or the work the professors asign. The truth (or as close to it as possible) lies with the students, the (mostly) unbiased students. College is made out to be the best four years of your life. Each student gets to choose the place they want to stay for this most amazing time period. A studentunderstands the importance of this choice, a student is still currently living up their four years, and a student would never tell a lie that may hinder another's happiness regarding college. The truth lies with the body that thrives, the student body.

Meg

Finding the right college is like finding your favorite pair of shoes. They fit the moment you put them on and they are the most comfortable shoes you have ever worn. The more you wear these shoes the more you feel like they are a part of you. You start to leave your imprint in the sole of these shoes and you know your mark there can never be erased or replaced. When your time with these shoes is finally up, they being too worn to wear any longer, you put them on the top shelf in your closet. You never throw them away. They represent an important time in your life as you remember almost everything you did in those shoes. Sometimes you take them out of the closet and show them to your new friends. By talking about your old favorite shoes you are talking about part of what makes you unique, how you became the person you are. These shoes do not define you; rather, you wore them during many of the defining moments in your life. The right college fits just like those shoes.

Consider how much it is going to cost you in the long run. Look for as many scholarship and grant options as possible. Make informed decisions about where you want to go to college, not where your family wants you to go.

Follow your gut when you're deciding where you want to go. Don't let money or location dictate which college you choose. Most importantly, have fun. Live, learn, grow, and remember that every single college freshman is in a new place, trying to meet new people. You're not alone. It takes time to make good friends and to find the teachers you love, but once you do, they'll be on yuur side for a lifetime.

Decide the size of the school you want first and then the location.

Carol

My advice to anyone experiencing the confusion that is the college selection process, is do not pick a school for its name. If you want to go to a school just to say you go to that school, then you probably should no go there. What really matters is a place where you can do the things you love and people will love you for them. I think it is important to find a place where it facilitates a student's need to step outside their comfort zone. Only at a school like this, will a student be able to learn and grow positively into the kind of person they will be out in "the real world".

Lucy

The more effort expended to find the perfect school, the better college experience a student will have. The first step is to determine best category of school. Work tendencies must be considered; for example if a student picked one activity in high school, like soccer, and stuck with it at any cost then this student will probably succeed in a specialized environment like engineering or art school. However a student who performed in the school play while balancing the swim team, a job, and National Honors Society would enjoy a liberal arts school where she can experiment before choosing a concentration. Once a type of school has been selected, the livability of each must be considered. Factors like size and quality of dorms are important, but the student body and climate are examples of factors that cannot be ignored. A student might be able to deal with a dungeon-like dorm room if he?s got great friends at the school. Someone else might find the humidity in the Northwest to be unbearable despite an ideal living situation. Finally, money must be consider. A college experience is worthless if a student (or his parents) is drowning in debt upon graduating.

Start your college search early. Visit the colleges, attend classes, and ask current students about their experiences. Your ideas about what you want from a college may change once you experience it for yourself, so even if you can't visit your top choices, make an effort to visit some colleges.

During my visits I walked through the dormitories and knocked on doors, talking to anyone that would answer. I asked them for their advice: what they liked, didn?t like, and what they wished they had known before starting the program. They were always candid and believable. Visit your top choices, trust your gut reactions, and know that any school can be great if you make it that way! Once you?re there, the best way to make the most of your program is to make friends with your hall-mates. Get out, have fun (responsibly). Try new things. Call home at least once a week, but not much more than that. Ask advice from everyone you can, but always do what makes you happiest. And don?t forget to smile!

Danny

Just follow your heart and don't tell yourself "I'll have more time to do this later." Take full advantage of your opportunity.

V.M.

This question is strikingly familiar, as I just assisted a friend with her college decision. The advice I gave her is the same I would give any perspective college student: go with your gut. Originally, I would always suggest this course of action because it had worked well for me. When I was making my college decision, I literally waited until the last minute of the deadline before choosing CC over NYU and ultimately, the decision came down to that little omniscient feeling in my stomach. I had no real convincing argument for why a person should just go on instinct besides my own experience. Now, however, I?ve just finished my first economics course at CC in which we read books about how people make decisions. One of the books was ?Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking? by Malcolm Gladwell, which emphasized how ?thin-slicing?, the practice of observing a small parcel of information to make a decision, often serves us better then gathering information over a longer period. This theory can just as accurately be applied to choosing a college. Although it may seem counterintuitive, let your gut choose where to educate your mind.

kristin

choose based on feel

Preston

"Don't follow the money, let the money follow you." That was the advice a man once gave me on a plane about possible careers I was considering. I was only 15, but the words have stuck with me. I think they can be applied to the college choice. I'm currently a senior at Colorado College, and doing all the things I love: college newspaper, community service, and civic engagement projects. I was unsure when I came here if I had made the right choice. It took me over two years to be able to say confidently that it was. When I finally made my decision, I weighed my options. I knew I wanted a small liberal arts school that would challenge me to think differently. The two schools I looked at both filled these requirements, but I thought CC could do a better job delivering that promise than the other school. Look at the schools, get student opinions, and think about what you enjoy doing now, because chances are they won't change once you get to college. Find a school that matches those things. And please forget about the name, it really is just a name.

Susanna

I work for the admission office at Colorado College, and the advice I give to students is always just 'be yourself.' I know it sounds trite and obvious, but I remember how hard it is to keep track of who you are among all the essays and applications and supplements and interviews and standardized tests. Forget what your GPA is and how well you did on the SATs - that's not what makes you you. Just don't lose yourself, and you'll find your way to the perfect college for you. And once you get there - ENJOY! Take advantage of all the great opportunities presented to you, academic and otherwise. We're young, let's have fun!

Philipp

Don't use your desire for independence as a way to get away from home during college. Sticking closer to home can be helpful, especially in the transition to college. And make sure that the place where you go is in a climate that you enjoy; weather is an overlooked but important factor in happiness at college.

Visit several schools of different sizes and demographics to see what fits you best. Stay with a student and try to break away from the official campus tours and talk to the students directly. Many times, what they tell you will be dramatically different from what the administrators will say.