Golden, CO
Colorado School of Mines

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colorado School of Mines

Cassidy

I LOVE BEING HERE. The curriculum is extremely difficult, but the resources available make it manageable. While the school is very academically inclined, there are communities on campus that you can join to really feel like you fit in somewhere. The coursework is very challenging, but also rewarding.

Amber
MINES IS COOL

MINES IS COOL

I'm in my 3rd year at Mines and I love it. Sure it's hard but everyone here is going through the same thing so we have a great support system. If you are struggling with something academically it's easy to find someone who can help you. The professors have tons of experience in industry. There are tons of clubs to get involved with and if there isn't a club for what you're looking for you can start one. People are pretty nerdy here but I love that about it. I've met the best people here and I feel like we have a very active community. I have found tons of people to try new things with like skiing or rock climbing. People are very polite and kind here. I love our staff, faculty, and students. Our sport teams rock. Our academics is better.

Cory

The Colorado School of Mines is a world renowned research university with a focus on earth sciences and environmental sustainability. This school consistently improves its facilities by continually raising money from the private sector where most graduates go on to work, specifically the oil and gas and extractive industry. Every year CSM holds two career fairs, one in the fall and one in the spring, each trumping the previous one. The last career fair I attended was in the fall of 2014 where 326 companies showed up to recruit students for internships and graduates for full time employment.

I would tell myself to get ready for the real world. College professors will not take it easy on you because you are having a bad day or because you don’t handle stress as well as others. These professors will kick you to the curb if you are not up to their standards, and each semesters professors seem to have standards higher than the last. I would tell myself to start preparing for the financial stress that you are about to endure for the next four to five years and that if you can work while continuing your education you should do it. Working not only helps ease the financial burden of college but also gives you some time to focus on something else besides homework, projects, and exams. There is no finer career in the world than to become an engineer, but this path will take more work than most. Engineering school will push you very hard. This will be extremely stressful at times, but you will learn so much about your potential to do great things in this world. Finally, I would tell myself to keep pushing for my dreams, especially when they start to seem distant.

My first semester at Colorado School of Mines was fall ’13. I did not know anyone else on campus. I avoided the orientations and welcome groups as I thought I would have no problem finding my way around. This was a mistake. I had never attended a career fair and had no idea that CSM students were so sought after in industry. My advice, take the career fair very seriously. You may only have that one chance each year to make an impression on these companies. Internships are very competitive and if you want one you better show up prepared.

Sydney

Forget all the ideas of college and of your future that you have. Wipe the slate clean and be open to new ideas and new opportunities. Have goals and dreams, but don't be surprised if these change and morph throughout the years. College is the time to start figuring out who you are. Who you are at 18 is definitely not who you will be at 23. Dont pass up the opportunity to try out new things. Be that person who says yes to road trips with friends, who agrees to run for student government, who is willing to jump off the stratospher in Vegas, because these life experiences teach you about yourself. Your education is important and will stretch you to be an intelligent person who is ready to achieve your career goals, but only being an academic in college makes life dull. You dont want to look back on your college years and wish you would have tried this, that, and the other. College memories shouldn't be full of regret. They should be full of fun and crazy memories that make you smile and wish you could live it over and over again.

I loved my school experience. Everything was great from academics to programming of events to get students out and socialize. The only complaint I have is that I wish there were more girls. The school is a world renowned engineering college, therefore, the majority of students are guys. I think the school should do more programs to reach out to women to get them interested in engineering and physical sciences because I think it is necessary to have a mix of males and females in order to make engineering and science progress as far as possible.

If you are not self motivated and do not like to be challenged, then you shouldn't attend CSM. The professors expect a lot out of their students. They dont take you by the hand and walk you through college. They allow you to fail in order to learn. There are times when you feel like you aren't going to make it, but miraculously you do! If you are not ok with failing and dont want to be challenged, then this is probably not the school for you.

Michelle

Don't be afraid to meet anyone and everyone who crosses your path. Each person here is so unique and interesting, it is well worth your time to get to know them and learn from their experiences. They also present a multitude of new ideas and approaches to challeges, and that is one of the very best ways to improve yourself and those around you. It never hurts to try new things, and now is the time to explore your options. You also need to keep a positive outlook, and if something is not right for you, only you have the power to change it. Gone are the days with parents keeping a watchful eye, and being an adult is not nearly as much fun as you think it might be, so enjoy college while it lasts.

The academics, attitude, and atmosphere are incredible here!

It would definetly have to be that there is very limited on-campus housing for sophomores and above.

Matt

I'd tell myself that eventually geek will become chic. I'd have to explain the rise of the Marvel cinematic Universe and the success of The Avengers. It would come as qutie a shock to be told that an era of geek love will occur. I'd tell the young Matthew to avoid seeing Daredevil and try to convive myself to save Heath Ledger from his untimely death, (more Joker performances would not be a bad thing) as well as his continued presence for his family. It would also be nice to hear form someone that even though highschool is confusing and rough college is inclusive and amazing. I would have like to know that there will eventually be a place in the world for geeks, freaks and wierdos who interests don't lie within the typical bounds of our culture.

People who are slightly afraid fo daylight and enjoy the smell of paper, erasers and graphite. If numbers are cool and equations exite you then MInes is for you. If your not scared of LARPers and computer code this might be a good choice. If you social skills need some "improving" you'll fit right in, remeber conversation are like catch you have to receive the talking ball and toss the talking ball.

Matt

From a social perspective, enjoy the time in college, you never get it back. Have as much fun as possible so long as it doesn't hurt you in the long term. Don't try to make as many friends as possible, but try to develop relationships that will last a lifetime. Academically, keep your grades high to ensure future employment success, but don't waste your college experience trying to get a 4.0 instead of a 3.8, unless that is really what is most important to you. Take summer internships in different industries and/or locations. The experience and network will be have benefits for years to come. Finally, utilize the resources at your school as much as possible, whether it is personally or professionally. Once you leave, you don't realize how valuable they are.

How awesome the professors are. From freshman year all the way up to graduate school, the professors do an excellent job of mentoring the students as well as teaching them necessary skills to be high performing engineers in the workforce. If you are new student, take advantage of these resources, as it is becomes harder to utilize them after you graduate.

The freshman curriculum is very rigid. It is done for a reason, but there is an opportunity to create more well rounded engineers by allowing for some more diversity in the undergraduate curriculum.

Amy

When I was a senior in high school, I was bent on having a plan and didn't look into many different options for college. I was determined to get as far away from the rest of my high school class as I could. Because of that, I ended up spending two years at a college I hated before transferring to the right school for me. The right school turned out to be a lot like my high school, which was just what I needed. I had thought I needed to move halfway across the country into a completely different enviornment in order to grow as a person. It turns out moving halfway across the country was a good idea, but completely changing the type of enviornment I was in was just too much for me. So basically I wish I had known to do more research before making a decision and that I should go somewhere where I would be challenged, but comfortable.

I wish I had known to seek help from other students. You can't get through Mines by going it alone.

Someone who doesn't want to take school seriously shouldn't come to Mines. If you're in college to party or for the "experience," Mines isn't the place for you. We have fun, but school is usually first priority.

Dylan

The school is very expensive, but it is well worth it. The community is very small and the school only enrolls 5,000 students. The town of Golden is only 20,000 people. So it is really clear that the area is very tight-knit. The community is also very nice and cooperative.

Go straight to Mines, don't try to transfer in credits. It will only slow you down. Mines will get you on track much faster than you think. Also, while you're in high school, apply to as many scholarships as you can. It never hurts to get ahead of the game. You will fall behind by having to take loans, which you will have to pay back, if you don't stay ahead of the game. Always sleep at night and don't get too strung up over relationships, you are happier being single! You're at an engineering school, so all freshmen are taking the exact same classes as you. You're not the only one struggling on homework or labs. You will procrastinate. You will hate yourself for it. You will continue to procrastinate anyways. Lastly, enjoy the best four years of your life!

Any person who is goal-oriented and willing to work hard for their dreams and goals should attend this school. It is a very rigorous and challenging school, so you must be willing to accept a very big challenge in order to succeed.

Cheryl

I attended the Colorado School of Mines because of their Metallurgy program. This program among others are unique to the school such as petroleum engineering. The professors at Mines work hard to get to know their students and give them the best opportunity to learn and ask questions. They are very understanding and try to work with the students to relieve the pressures of school. Not only are the professors great, but the staff is amazing about working with students. The School provides a certain closeness to the students that larger schools cannot match.

I would reassure myself that college is the next step to grow as a person and that the School of Mines provides the knowlege and social life that I would like. I had many doubts and worries about school becuase of the cost and the loans that I had to take. Looking at that now, the knowlege I received was worth the loans and the hard work. I have made many good friends and would not have grown into a better person without them. I would reasure myself that i would make great friends and do well in school.

There are quite a few things I wish I knew before I went to the Colorado School of Mines. My first year in school I didn't know what to expect with books, homework load, or what there is to do in the area. I assumed that teachers would assign homework the first day of class and that we needed our books right away. This was not the case. Instead some books that were suggested were not required and the text books sold in the book store were more expensive than buying online.

Colorado School of Mines administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.