Golden, CO
Colorado School of Mines

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colorado School of Mines

Nathan

The placement rate upon graduation from Colorado School of Mines is 94% and they help their students find summer internships. Large companies watch the students at Mines and know at graduation who they want working for them. The Mines campus is very much like a large family, professors are eager to help, there are tutoring groups and everyone works together to succeed. The staff at Colorado School of Mines strives to help their students succeed, they care, and I am not just another number.

Now that I am into my first year at a very prestigious and academically tough university, I can see where I could have handled things differently in my past life. Coming from a small rural town, I had no dedicated math teacher, math teachers came and went, and we had to try glitchy online classes, which has hurt me greatly in my college calculus classes. My mom, a single parent, had no money to send me to the local college as some parents did but I could have put more effort into some summer online calculus classes that would have set me up better for this first year. I spent a lot of time working full time and ignoring my online summer class before I began college. I would also like to write a letter to the school board to let them know how I have struggled and where I think they can make changes so future graduates can have a better start to their college careers. If no one comes back to tell the school board what went wrong, how will they know? I cannot complain about what went wrong without coming up with possible solutions to their problems.

When I was accepted to Colorado School of Mines, I learned there were 12,800 applicants and only 1080 kids were accepted and I was one of them! Our freshman class has the highest GPAs, SAT and ACT test scores of any previous freshman class in Mines history.

Riviera

I would articulate about how i needed to get my act together and get as many scholarships as possible, because school is highly expensive. I work two jobs now and a full time student, and if I ended up getting more scholarships i could just focus on my studys instead of focusing on the tuition fees and book fees. O meed to take care of my body more so i could physically work and do two jobs instead of being in constant pain thanks to never gaining more scholarships. Stress gets to people, and i would not have this much stress on me if i just sit down and apply for scholarships. I will struggle in life if i do not get my act together. My number one problem in high school was not realizing how important scholarships were, because now i am begging for them.

It is completely a science and engineering school, so everyone is focused on and interested in similar things.

The biggest advice I would give myself would be to reach out and make a more diverse group of friends. I was the type of person who latched on to the first friends I found, and that didn't give me much diversity later on when those friendships fell apart. I would also remind myself to be my own person and not care what others think. When you find someone who loves you for who you are, no excuses, then you know you've found a true friend. Mostly though, I'd tell myself it's all going to be alright - even when you mess up and the transition is difficult, it all turns out okay, so don't stress.

It is extremely hard, and yet I'm making it through.

Kaitlyn

Allow yourself to meet new people and remember that you do not have to do everything yourself. Study groups are a great benefit at college and you meet a lot of great people that way too. Seek out your professors and TAs when you need help. And remember, there is more to school than just studying. Take time to enjoy, learn new hobbies and help others. College is wonderful.

People are geared towards working hard, having fun, and getting the job done.

People who are interested in getting a degree in science or technology.

Cody

Apply earlier to college, take more time to study to get better grades.

Apply earlier to college, take more time to study to get better grades.

The emphasis placed in helping you find employment. Interships and fieldwork classes are required. There are intership fairs held where you can tal to prospective employers.

Some of the classes have professors who cannot teach.

Lyle

The advice that I would give my high school senior self is to either join a few clubs and/or a sport in college. I did not do either of those this year, and while I have enjoyed not having to worry about making practice for a club or a sport, I do miss swimming and having something to do. I would tell myself to join a club because they are fairly relaxed, yet there are so many on campus that I am bound to find one that will peak my interest. There are a few martial arts clubs and a Frisbee club, and I enjoy bot of those sports. I would encourage myself to join one of these clubs and be a part of it. I would also encourage my high school self to continue swimming after high school swimming finished and try to make the cuts for the Mines swim team. I didn’t want to do it because of the time commitments and I didn’t want my grades to fall, but after seeing the work load, I realized I would have been able to manage it.

The worst thing about Colorado School of Mines is the cafeteria. At first, the food seems to be fairly good. Then, after a while, you start to notice that it isn’t that good. By the end of the first semester, you don’t want anything do with the cafeteria and you avoid it as much as possible. When you come back from break, you will continue to avoid it, because the food hasn’t changed one bit from the cardboard you were eating before.

Anyone who is not willing to work hard should not attend the Colorado School of Mines. This school is a lot of fun, and a great environment for learning. However, you do have to work hard to earn your A’s and B’s. This school will push you to your limits of time management, stress management, and work ethic. If you are willing to put in the hard work, it all will pay off.

Caitlin

Overall, I like the school. There are tons of clubs for basically anything you could possibly be interested in. There's weekly activities, like a comedian or movie. Club and intramural sports are a great way to get out. I also like the availability of professional resources, like the career center. Sometimes, the academics are disappointing for the reputation Mines has. I've been in more than one class feeling like I haven't learned anything. In particular, the adjunct (part time) faculty usually make for the worst teachers.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There's a large number of students that participate in sports, but there isn't always a crowd at the games. Student classes will host tailgates for games to encourage more participation at the games. There are some games where free t-shirts are given out. The school is so challenging that students just don't have that much time to go to a lot of the sporting events.

Someone who has never seen the school would likely think it's relatively small. It is still a very active campus. There are student outside almost every day. The campus and surrounding area is beautiful since we sit just at the base of the mountains.

What are your classes like?

Most classes are tough. Every major has a few classes that aren't too hard, but for the most part, everyone has difficult classes. The classes with more homework usually require about the same hours out of class as in class. Labs can be that way too. Time management is extremely important at Mines.

It's difficult to say what the most popular student activity is. Most students like the outdoors. I would consider myself pretty involved with campus. I am a part of student government, serve on a board that oversees campus organizations, and am a club president. We have over 150 clubs on campus, so it's easy for students to find what they like or learn about something they've never done before. It's also very easy to start your own club on campus if you can't find what you're looking for. Athletic events are somewhat popular. The bigger the crowd at events, the more fun the event is. There are tons of events around campus including a movie every Thursday and a comedian on Fridays. Homecoming always has great events. E-Days in particular is a blast. There's a concert, comedian, fireworks, all on campus. E-Days is really the event everyone is waiting for the entire year. Because the community around campus is so small, it's very easy to meet people. The down side is that it's hard to meet new people once you've met everyone. Fraternities and sororities tend to make their own communities, which can be a good thing, but also doesn't lend itself towards meeting new people. Weekends can be dull, but can also have a lot going on. Mines students are predominately male, which gears the party scene more towards drinking as opposed to meeting people. There are many times were students just don't have time to party on the weekends because they have too much to get done. There are also student that just don't really enjoy partying. Bowling is a popular thing to do and is pretty inexpensive. Off campus activities are mostly outdoor activities. Mines has an Outdoor Rec Center that has tons of equipment for students to borrow. They also offer classes to learn rock climbing or bike tune ups.

The students range across the board from typical computer kids to jocks. There are also a good number of international students, mostly from the middle east. Because most majors at the school are based around math and science, it's easy to get along with everyone and find a common ground to connect on. Towards the beginning of the semester students are more likely to look nice, but as the semester drags on sweat pants and a sweat shirt are more common. Most students are here to work hard. It's a pretty small community, so you tend to see the same people over and over, especially once you get into core classes. The cliques as they were in high school (or at least my high school) aren't so impenetrable here. There are groups of students that tend to hang out together, but the groups still mix and match sometimes. The campus is mostly conservative, as well as the professors. It's hard to say what the financial background is for most students. The school is rather expensive, but many students are able to get student loans. We all have big dreams of our hard work paying off.

The classes are small enough that students can ask questions at any time. Once you start getting into classes specific to your major, you see the same students in all of your classes. It makes it a little easier to get study groups together. The academics are difficult from both a time management perspective as well as intellectually challenging. As with any school, some classes are easier than other, but for the most part, they're not easy. The most difficult thing for me to learn was time management.

Generally Mines students are thought of as geeks or nerds that have no athletic abilities and are socially awkward. In some ways, this stereotype is accurate. Most students at the school are engineering students, are into gaming, and relate every day experience back to classroom knowledge. I think Mines is also not given enough credit for the athletes they do have, though.

Harley

Mines is great because the student to teacher ratio is low. Since we are a smaller school (around 3500 undergrads), we have many of the benefits and setbacks of other small schools. Mines is great if you want to get involved. There are many opportunities for extracurricular activities with the school and community. Also, we are practically an hour from many of the major ski resorts in the state. One of our benefits is also a setback in that we are a Division 2 school. This means that Mines doesn't have the capacity for a sporting experience like that at a Division 1 school. Having said that, you can still have fun at games and show your school spirit!

As a student at mines, Intramural Sports are huge! IM sport leagues for students can act as an outlet from the rigors of study and our IMs are well organized and offer something for everyone. Mines has a great student council. They typically organize a least two social events a week, whether it's a new movie in the Student Center or a comedian on a Friday night, student can always find something to do. Golden is in a great spot; we're 20 minutes from Denver and about an hour from the major ski resorts. Most importantly the Coors Brewery is located in Golden, where you can go and get complementary drinks!

As a student at Mines, you will routinely pass someone you know on your way to class or in the cafeteria. You will have plenty of opportunities to make friends and you will meet and befriend someone you may never meet or socialize with at a different school. Students at this school come from around the world; we have a large international group at this school.

Academics at Mines are very rewarding. Class sizes are small and content is challenging which makes for a competitive atmosphere. Most students who come to Mines were great students in High School and excelled in math and science. As a result, classes move quickly and you have to work hard to set yourself out from the pack. Having said that mines is very academic oriented. There are many opportunities for students to seek help on a concept or assignment if need be. Teachers are accessible during office hours and there are numerous study sessions and help sessions outside of class.

We are predominately an engineering school so we have the obvious stereotypes that come with the name. Though stereotypes of the typical "geek" can be seen, students at the Colorado School of Mines are typically ambitious and show strong interests in math and science.

Clayton

I personally love this school. It is small, with around 4,000 undergrads. This is my favorite part about this school. The one thing that I would change is that in the middle of campus there is a pedestrian only section. In this part of campus, you have do dismount your bicycle. I would like this to be changed. When I tell people that I go to Colorado School of Mines, they give me a lot of respect. It is viewed as a school that is very hard to get into. I spend most of my time with my friends and in the Student Center. There isn't alot going on in Golden, but there is an old downtown tourist trap. Also, Boulder is 30 minutes away and the suburbs of Denver are about 5 minutes away, so there is plenty of fun a short drive away.

From the outside, everyone calls us nerds. When you go here, you don't view yourself as a nerd, but really we all are. There are varying degrees of nerds here. Most of us are almost normal, but there are those that are extremely nerdy. Another thing that takes getting used to is the 3:1 guy to girl ratio. It's not terrible but it is slightly peculiar at first. One last thing. Since 65-70% of the degrees at CSM are engineering related, if your degree doesn't have the word Engineering in it, people might not understand why you go to CSM.

Matt

Going to Mines is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It is a very challenging school and there have been times I've been stressed and frustrated to the point of wanting to go somewhere else, but I've never seriously considered leaving Mines with out my degree. Involvement is critical to staying sane here at Mines, you have to find something to take your mind off of classes from time to time. Mines has taught me effective time management skills and many other things that will help me once I graduate.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

If the computer labs are not over crowded I enjoy working there, If they are I often work outside on warm days or in the student lounge on cooler ones. There are a lot of places on campus to get school work done.

Colorado School of Mines has more clubs than any other School in Colorado. If you can't find something to join that you enjoy doing you are not looking hard enough. It is also a simple process to start your own club or student organisation. Yearly we have Homecoming and E-days which students enjoy. There are fireworks shows, comedians, movies, improv nights lets just say there is a lot going on on campus. You just have to be willing to go out and do it. CSM also has a great Greek Community that promotes strong academics, community service/philanthropy, and developing high quality individuals. I highly suggest checking it out Greek life and attending a few events.

The Colorado School of Mines is predominantly Caucasian, There is a asian and middle eastern culture here. I would say that Mines is fairly conservative. People mostly wear jeans and T-shirts to classes. Every so often you will over hear some very interesting conversations about physics, or the zombie Apocalypse or any other random topic.

The Courses here are very challenging. They will make sure that you are in a field that you want to work in. It is my belief that some of the courses here are designed to be as difficult as possible and test your level of dedication to the engineering field. If you can find a major you love it is all worth it.

Anti-social, super smart, video game nerds who don't know how to effectively communicate. When people hear I go to Mines often the first thing they say is "Oh, you're one of those people." I would say that there are people who attend Mines who fit that stereotype but for the most part the students here are just like students any where else. If you want to be social and avoid falling into this stereotype the opportunities defiantly exist.

Colorado School of Mines administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.