Golden, CO
Colorado School of Mines

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colorado School of Mines

Colin

Colorado School of Mines is unique in that the dormitory life cultivates incredible comradery. Although many universities and colleges utilize the traditional residence hall setup, at other institutions, a mathematics major could be paired with a photography major, who are down the hall from biology and english majors, for example. However, at Colorado School of Mines, barring testing out of prerequisite courses taken in high school, the courseloads of all first year students are almost identical. This allows for more effective study groups, and more immersion into subjects. By working with hallmates, the incredibly difficlut courseload becomes somewhat more manageable.

As my first semester of college comes to a close, I have attained a greater understanding of the importance of staying in college and obtaining a degree. When I talk to adults, I am congratulated on my acceptance to a selective institution, however the praise usually stops there. Adults understand that being accepted into a college is just the first step, and that continuing in college until graduation is the real challenge, with a degree the goal. This understainding was also come about by talking to older students, who have been where I am and have valuable advice. The concensus is, although the classes will only get more difficult the longer you stay, and your GPA is only prone to suffer rather than improve, do not give up, because once those four years are up, a life with a degree in hand is much more favorable than the alternative.

The most frustrating thing about Colorado School of Mines is the difficulty of the course material. Even for a student who attends class every day, the tests are incredibly challenging and require knowldedge of topics never covered during lecture. Also, the lab portions of Chemistry, Earth and Environment Systems, etc. are almost impossible to succeed in without prior knowledge of important concepts in the topic. Granted, this is a specialized institution, and most students who are enrolled have chosen this school by their interest in high school and subsequently prepared for the subjects, the level of expected preparedness is astounding.

Kole

As I have just complete my 4th month of college I can truly say that it is beyond what I expected. It has made me realize that students who strive for advanced education obtain a wide range of personal, social, financial and other lifelong benefits that improve quality of life and overall well-being of our community. Passing on the importance of advanced education in each family and culture only helps future generations by giving them the skills necessary to achieve at a higher level. My college experience will help me build on the knowledge and skills acquired in earlier years. I look forward to engaging in organized volunteer work and civic participation so that I can give back to theicommunity that I live in. It is my goal to complete my college education and acquire the tools to learn to be open to differing views of others, better health and greater opportunities. In my opinion advanced education contributions to both the equity and the efficiency of our society and I look forward to giving back to my community. Education is a process that changes us and makes us better.

The kind of person that should attend the Colorado School of Mines is one who is very dedicated and committed to academics. I am also a student athlete and have learned in the past few months how to manage both academics as well as athletics. This does make me better at managing my time and efforts.

Steven

The environmetnt. People are here to learn and better themselves, not just party.

I have learned a great deal in my college experience. I have learned that even though sometimes the odds get stacked up against you, you should never quit. Also, you are in college for a reason, to better yourself and to learn. Always try to take something away from a class no matter how boring or uninterested you may be in the subject. Never sweat the small things and just keep plowing forward.

One who is focused and ready to work.

I have gotten the chance to grow up. I am now relying on myself to make myself go to class, do my own laundry, cook my own food and basically fend for myself. I am getting the college wrestling experience along with the difficulty of college classes. I have became more of an adult by being on my own. I can't rely on anyone else because I am nine hours away from home. It has been valuable for me to attend this school because it is teaching me the ways of life. High school was easy, college is a whole new world. I have realized that they do not give any slack or help you if you do not ask. If you need/want something you have to do it or get help. I'm learning to askfor help when needed instead of just trying to spend hour and still not learn the material. Knowing that when I graduate I will have a job, only incourages me more. In this case I will strive for everything I want to pursue and earn everything I get. There are no free lunches.

A person that should attend this school is one willing to put forth the effort needed to succeed. Stating that when you graduate from here you most likely have a job coming out but you have to work for every inch. If you are ready to study and give up free time for your classes you have the potential to make it here. Your social activity will include more study groups and such rather than partys and other extra curricular activities.

A person who should not attend this school is someone is slacked in high school or doesn't take studying seriously. This school is no joke. If you do not study and don't take your classes seriously, you will not pass. A person needs a serious drive to succeed and willing to put forth a lot of time and effort.

Jesse

The school is too strict about everything.

The school is too strict about everything.

The school is over strict about everything including dorm life. There are very few things to do at the school of mines besides homework and drinking. The food sucks a lot at the cafeteria that they force you to buy for $1000 when living in the dorms. The school work is almost always outrageous and it gets worse every year. There are a lot of weird people that go to this school. Parking at the school sucks a lot and they are always giving out tickets for minor parking infractions; for example, you parked an inch to far from the curb and they measure it too, you parked next to the dorms to unload some stuff because parking distance from dorm is outrageous, you get a ticket. A lot of teachers don't speak English very well. Some teachers don't know how to teach classes they think you have been exposed to the material for 30 years like they have. The school treats students terribly, but treats visitors extremely well.

Yes they are true, most people who go here are white and if they aren't then there is a good chance that they are probably arabic. Most of the people that go here assume that they are getting a better education than at CU boulder and presume that they are smarter than those students as well.

There are very few social activities at the school of mines. The city of golden for the most part shuts down at about 8:30 or 9 so there is nothing to do besides going to a bar or an 11 dollar movie.

Stuck up, thick headed, racists, white, rich, people who go here think they know everything.

Conrad

I have learned how to solve life problems on my own. I have found that you don't have to know everything, you just need to know where to find the answers. Persevering is an everyday occurrencing in engineering. Knowledge is a good part of life but patience with one's self is a struggle. This school shows me what it will be like against all of the great mines in the world and it prepares me for any challenges in the future. If I can compete at this school, I should have no problems competing in the world. I just need to find the money to stay focused on my studies.

Best thing is, it is close to home but for enough away I can't go home everyday. It is one of the top schools in Colorado and it is on the list of Forbes best schools. I am a very serious person and it is all about learning at this school. I have no doubt that once I finish I will get a good job.

Maybe the school is too focus on learning, after all I am only 19 years old and would enjoy more relaxed actitives. I am a track star and ranked 1st on the team here but could not get an atheletic scholarship. Which an atheletic scholarship would help me with my finances.

Marisse

Colorado School of Mines is known for it's prestige in the engineering fields and other major mathematical and scientific fields. If you're wishing to pursue a career in any of these areas, Colorado School of Mines is for you.

Growing up to become a high school senior was exhausting, so my senior year was not the year I tried my hardest. That was the first mistake. If I could give myself advice before I went to college, it would be that college is not a playground. College is not senior year. You'll have to build yourself back up to the top if you start to slack off, so why make your life that much harder? College is fun, and it's a great experience but you have to work in order to be content with the lifestyle. If you become lazy, your grades will reflect it and no one will be there to keep pushing you, to motivate you to do better. So keep a good constant work ethic during high school so that going to college is not so much of a shock to you as it would be if you start to procrastinate and be lazy during senior year.

I wish I had known exactly how cold it was going to be here! But I really wish that I had known better that no one is here to push you to success. You have to earn everything on your own, and there is definitely no more turning to your parents for help. College is the prelude to your life, and what you make of that will be what you make of what happens after college.

Daryl

Colorado School of Mines is a fairly small school with very specialized instruction. There is a huge emphasis on teaching (much more than research), and every single class is taught by a very knowledgable professor. For engineering and sciences, this is a great school. It provides more than just the standard classes, requiring a background in all areas of science, which makes for a well-rounded education. This school provides a challenge with great rewards, if one is willing to work for it.

Live, Laugh, Love. Three simple words that have been overprinted and commercialized almost to the point of clich?. Yet, a parcel of truth shines through the alliteration and simplicity. It is a reminder of what life should be about, for any college student, adult, or even myself as a high school senior. Life is precious gift that should be enjoyed to its fullest; to what extent it is enjoyed is up to only one person. Fight to make your life what you want, not what others want. Laugh at yourself when you make mistakes, laugh at the world when it tries to bring you down, and laugh with friends to drown your sorrow. The last of the three is possibly the most important: love. Love what you do and follow your passions. Love your friends and family, for it is a lonely existence without them. Love yourself. Be confident in who you are and what you want out of life. Senior year of high school was a time of change, full of stress and worry. These three simple words of advice put the focus on what truly matters in life: live, laugh, and love.

Since School of Mines is such a specialized school, there is very little outside of the major classes. There is a very small music program, but there isn't a lot of funding. Most students have to print off their own music. There are very few opportunities for extending foreign language knowledge beyond Study Abroad. In addition, there are no art classes whatsoever. At times options are limited because of the size of the school.

Maximillian

If I could go back, I would let myself know that college isn't anything to be worried about. Everything is amazing and I'd like to let myself know that even though it's an amazing experience, and I'll be making lifelong friends, it still takes hard work to be successful at this school. If I could go back, I would insist that I go to this college and I wouldn't tell myself to do anything different.

I say it's an amazing school. very hands on and we get to learn about amazing things that are very interesting while seeing where they apply in our future careers. Also, the students are cool to hang out with and most definately helpful.

Colorado School of Mines is an incredible university located in Golden, giving it a small town feel with a small, active campus, and it's academic program is one of the most rigorous in the country that produces top notch engineers that are in high demand.

I would tell myself to do more things in high school becuase you can't get those back. I would also tell myself not to worry about what people think of you because I don't see those people anymore. I would've told myself to work harder on getting scholarships, becuase college is expensive!! I play division two college softball now so I would tell my high school self to practice hard everyday and work to perfect every aspect of my game because it only got harder and if I had already been used to working this hard. Lastly, when I got to college I had a really hard time because I missed my family. I feel like if I would've gone out more during the summer instead of hanging onto every second I had with them the transition would've been a little bit easier. But everybody misses their family to some degree so I would tell myself not to be ashamed when I do miss them. i

The worst thing about our school is the fact that we are an elite engineering school but I've noticed in my first semester that some things they do here are not up to date with other schools. We have such smart students yet some of our resources are not what you'd expect. Another school I visited while looking for schools had a program in their campus website that you could see if washing machines/ dryers were open or finished. You'd think an engineering school could easily come up with that.

Colorado School of Mines administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.