Golden, CO
Colorado School of Mines

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Colorado School of Mines

Caitlin

There is a huge variety of personalities that are attending this school just like in high school so the only new thing about them is where they are from!

Dear Caitlin, You may be wondering who this is and why I?m writing this letter. Well, I?m you. But I am in college right now. What? You don?t believe me? I guess that means I?ll have to prove it to you. I know that you have that small jewelry box hidden in a drawer waiting for you to send it, but you haven?t had the courage. So now that you know it?s me, I have two important tips to give you based on my experiences. Making the transition between living at home and going to high school to living in the dorms and going to college is a rough one. You really struggle with this but don?t worry; you make it through just fine. As long as you stay strong, be active, and meet new people, everything will go smoothly. Most importantly, open up with Mom and Dad. You don?t have to go through everything alone; they really have great advice on more than just school and money. Open up little by little and you?ll find that they are very helpful. Good luck! You'll do great! Sincerely, The Future You

The worst thing about my school is the food! The cafeteria has its good and bad days as to how the food tastes, but overall I think the only consistently good food is the homemade desert and soft-serve ice cream.

Mykal

I would tell myself not to stress out so much about college and the treansition. I'd talk about all the great new friends he'd make when he got here, and how he would do well in his first semseter here. I would advise more study time. but that would be the only big advice I would have to give.

About how many friends I would make while living on campus, and how many interesting people there are. Also how much time it takes to study for courses in this school.

I think the worst thing is the class schedules. As you advance in classes, most them only center on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So those days become hell on your schedule, while tuesday and thursdays are off days.

Shawn

My school is a school of engineering for very dedicated and brilliant students

My school is a school of engineering for very dedicated and brilliant students

My classmates are a smart bunch of people that have to work extremely hard.

Deffinately take advanced placement classes. The credits may not count but the education is worth it.

Apply to Mines now. Don't worry about the money. Community college will save you money, but life at Mines is better.

The size. It's small but doesn't sacrifice excellence for its size.

Anyone who is interested in the arts. This school is for people who want a job to do with science.

Mo

Colorado School of Mines is unique in many many ways. We have a small campus which allows for a tight knit student body where we all work to help each other out with the difficult workload. The school is also dominantly men which prepares its students for the real world of engineering. Mines has a Career Day where many companies come looking for interns and future employees. Basically, if a student goes to Mines, they have a great chance of having a job right out of college, which is a guarentee many other campuses can't offer.

Dear High School Senior Mo, Don't worry so much about going to college! It's going to be amazing! You are making the right choice and you should stand behind it. Take your time in this last year of high school, it will be your best one and you will be able to look back on it during rough times in the next four to five years. Your first semester at Mines will be tough, and after dealing with a death in the family, you will be able to come back and make a full recovery, I promise you that. Now, a full recovery doesn't mean mostly A's like you are used to in high school, so don't be afraid of getting a C for after all, "C's get degrees!" as you have been told. Again, worrying gets you nowhere and that will stay true for the rest of your life. Be flexible and open yourself up to new opportunities so you can follow your dream of saving the world one tree at a time. Mines can help it happen. Work hard. Play hard. And say hi to the boys for me. Sincerely, Future Mo

The exact intensity of the workload and how many credits one should take in order to keep their sanity would have been nice to know. Overall, I knew what I was getting into and it has stayed very consitent with that.

Kevin

My classmates are accepting, friendly, and extremely helpful with problems ranging from social to academic life.

The school is best known for its academic rigor, its excelence in engineering, and its extremely high placement rate into jobs after college (almost all majors are between 90 and 100%).

My advice would be to take no class for granted. When I became certain I was attending a strictly engineering school, its seemed all the english and history classes would become unimportant. However, while the focus was definitely on math and science, all the history and english continually tied in. In one class, I relied heavily on my knowledge from human geography, which I had taken mainly for a GPA booster, and my writing skill developed in my english classes. While I did not blow these classes off, I never imagined using them the first semester of school. It was these very skills that I used in order to create a multidimensional project that ended up winning several awards. Overall, the value of being well rounded academically and pushing myself even in those subjects outside of my interest created larger opportunity for success. While classes can be taken strictly for the grade, I would tell my high school senior self that it is learning and integrating the information that will pay off in the long run. If I learn to handle the information and use the information, the grade and the learning will take care of itself.

Katelyn

The people on campus are a giant network of support to get you through a life changing event called college.

No matter what you may be feeling push through it. All this work will be entirely worth the experience once you graduate. Be strong when you are unsure and use every resource you can. The time you spend will help you grow and develop into a career oriented person that can do anything in the world.

The amount of work you're expected to do from each class get's difficult if you can't find a balance between your schedule. You quickly learn that your personal life and your job aren't as important as school is regardless of whatever situation may be. The best thing to do is to prioritize well and manage your time accordingly.

Danielle

Colorado School of Mines is very unique because the atmosphere of the whole campus is friendly and encouraging. There are a wide variety of methods to recieve help and to get involved in the school. Being an engineering school, the amount of attending students is on a smaller scale. This was a huge reason why I choose to attend this college because there is a higher chance for professors to know you on a personal basis rather than just being a number in the classroom. Also, the professors encourage students to ask them for help if needed.

Traveling back to Arapahoe High School to visit myself as a high school senior is an enlightening experience. I would tell myself college is everything I thought it would be and more. The Colorado School of Mines is the best choice over other schools I applied to because I fit into the atmosphere of this college. I would tell myself not to be afraid to take chances, there are so many things worth taking a chance on in life. I would advise myself not to get so mad at my parents because they only want the best for me and the freedom of college will make everything worth while. I couldn't explain in words how I have matured, I would tell myself that I have the gift of happiness and to not second guess myself so much. I can achieve anything I put my mind to and that was apparent in my first semester of college. I would tell myself to study a little bit more for Chemistry and hang out with the group of Rugby guys more because they are a good group to be around. So spread your wings and fly yourself to your goals and ambitions!

You should attend this school if you are ready for a challenge and ready to be treated as an adult. The students who go to Mines are of a select group. We are all here for a common purpose: to recieve an excellent education. If math and science are subjects you enjoy, then fitting into Mines will be of no difficulty. Many students also come to Mines playing a sport, which is a great way to get involved.

Molly

The Colorado School of Mines is a competitive, diverse engineering and sciences school with undergraduate and graduate degree programs, located in Golden, Colorado beneath the Rocky Mountains and minutes away from numerous activities for outdoor enthusiasts and city-lovers alike.

Life is a series of steps. When young, these steps are the literal steps taken to walk. Then, you're off to school taking steps through grades until you graduate high school. Some steps are bigger than others; the step from middle to high school is more of a leap. College is another one of these leaps. Yes, you will be scared. Yes, you will be insecure. Yes, you will doubt yourself. But know that college should be taken as just another step. Sometimes you will need to take steps as small as possible; just getting through the week can seem like a struggle. But even small steps will lead to great things. You contain everything inside yourself at this moment to do great, amazing things. You will feel lonely at first, but take it a day at a time and don't forget that you are loved and your support network back home will never leave you. Don't be afraid to ask for help; you don't learn anything by pretending to know everything. Know that you can and will accomplish wonderful things in college and accept that everything starts with baby steps.

The best thing about Colorado School of Mines is by far the academics. Alumni donate money every year to make sure the school is equipped with the best technology and equipment for a competitive, intense curriculum. I know that, because of my teaching, I will have a job upon graduation.

Anastasia

My classmates are diligent and dedicated since everyone is determined to achieve their goals and earn a good education along with getting their desired degree.

Some advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to spend more time applying for scholarships. College is expensive so the scholarships would be very useful to help lower the cost even a little. If I applied for a few more scholarships, I might have been able to earn more money to pay for school. Another thing I would tell myself is to not worry so much about the academics. School does get harder but it is not as bad as everyone made it seem. I would also tell myself that I should start working on my study habits and on learning how to study. Studying will become important in college.

The most frustrating thing is that there is a lot of work to be done. I have to do a lot of studying to get the grades I want but it will all pay off in the end.

Colorado School of Mines administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.